• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

Thanks so much for this! Adding to the OP.
no worries, I just hope it's actually useful as I kind of felt I rambled a bit too much ^.^;
Feel free to edit the heck out of it if you feel it could be more concise or any of the points could be better phrased/communicated :3

N.A

Banned
Sorry for the server restart. Windows Server just decided to install updates and restart :p

Back up now.

Ogni-XR21

Got my character made and controls all set up.

Character Name: Twventy1 (FOnewearl - Greenill)

The bit I played made me painfully realize that starting out as a FO is financial suicide. But I just had an encounter with a very nice player who was a real gentleman and didn't rush for anything that dropped, but shared equally ^_^

Jackano

Back in 5'.
No worry about forgotten stuff. :)
I play very light minded!

Will also refurbish my custom controls. Center camera on R doesn't seems right.

Got my character made and controls all set up.

Character Name: Twventy1 (FOnewearl - Greenill)

The bit I played made me painfully realize that starting out as a FO is financial suicide. But I just had an encounter with a very nice player who was a real gentleman and didn't rush for anything that dropped, but shared equally ^_^
yeah, FOs are not an ideal starting class, but for those who do take on one without the financial backing of a previous character the best tip is PICK UP EVERYTHING!!! :p You've got a fluid addiction to feed so pick up and sell anything that's not nailed down. Obviously take your teammates into consideration and give them first dibs on anything they might use, but if they don't want it, it's selling fodder :3 As the game progresses what you pick up to pawn off will get more fussy but initially it's all good.

I'm not a huge fan of missions but at the start they're a very lucrative source of meseta too so at the beginning it might not hurt to pick something up from the guild just to get yourself started :3

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is there a Teamspeak server people are using to party up?

We're using a discord channel, see below:

Reposting this with clarification for 50ppp people! This program's pretty great, and very flexible for whatever case use you'd want. It's very lightweight on CPU, can be loaded in-browser, or via a phone or desktop app too. It has some great, Slack-like chat functions while also having an entirely built-in Mumble style VOIP system. There's no limit to how many channels a room can have, nor how many people can be in a single channel. It could be very handy for communicating across the server and talking to your run-mates without needing everyone's skype handles, etc.

Just click K.Sabot's link above and you'll be a click or two away from being in. You can even register yourself permanently with a few clicks and an email confirmation.

xmURaaQ.png

Give it a shot!

Miker

Ok, here's a quick primer to PSOing :3

If you just go down to the planet without a mission you can do free-roaming mode in which you clear your way through the world, popping open boxes for loot and killing monster/pressing switches to unlock doors until you get to the boss which when killed will leave behind boxes full of goodies and a teleporter back to Pioneer 2. The order of the locations also kind of shows the level progression so if you're a brand new character I'd stick to forest until you manage to kill the dragon (which is roughly about level 5 I'd say) It works very much like Diablo in that sense.
When you get to higher levels you'll want to try harder difficulties than normal because you get much better loot and the monsters are more challenging, with some interesting changes taking place at the highest difficulty levels like ultimate which completely swaps out the monsters for new ones :3

Anyhoo, let's cover some basic controls and stuff now :D

In the bottom right of the screen you'll find what's known as your 'palette' which is basically a description of what your 4 face buttons on a joypad will do and you should ideally correct your button binds to match (on the 360 in default binds, the left and right buttons are inverted for some reason)
Your default ones will be the same as you see in this picture:

So, at the bottom of the palette you have 'normal attack' which will swing your current weapon. This is the fastest and most accurate weapon attack you have.
When attacking, if you press any attack button while in the last bit of your swinging animation, you can attack immediately again. You can do up to 3 attacks in this manner. Each attack in a chain is more accurate than the last, so if you're fighting a creature that you see 'miss' float off a lot, it's often better to start swinging before they're in range so they walk into your 2nd or 3rd attack instead.

Now that we've covered that, let's get back to the palette and begin with the left-most button which is set to 'heavy attack'. This attack has the same animation as a normal attack but is delayed by a charge-up effect at the start, making it take longer to swing. This attack is also much less accurate than your normal attack so it's usually better to chain into it than to try and start with one. Why would you use heavy attack with all these problems? Because not only does heavy attack do more damage, but it also causes more knockback on enemies as well, which can sometimes give you the breathing space you need to recover from your swing instead of taking a retaliatory swipe to the face from the monster you just hit :p

The right-most button will be set to 'monomates' which are an item you can buy/pick up that replenish your health when consumed. You start with 5 if I remember correctly, but you'll sometimes find them in boxes as you explore and the green shop on pioneer should sell them. Later in the game you will find dimates, which heal even more hp and later still you will find trimates which are a full heal regardless of how much HP you have. Items stack up to a maximum of 10, if you try and pick up any more when you already have 10 of that item it won't let you.

So, that's the basic palette covered. The important thing to know is that you can change what the buttons on the palette do by going into the menu (click in the right stick on your pad to access this) and selecting 'customisation'

Also important is that you'll note there seems to be a little thing just under the palette saying 'ctrl'. This is a palette switch function that gives you access to a second palette while it's held (so holding down ctrl or whatever button is set to switch palettes will change what your buttons do to the second palette.) this allows you to have up to 6 different buttons to play with via a combination of the bottom 3 face buttons and holding or not holding the switch button :3

I skipped over the top face button because this is locked to certain functions. The normal top button is a chat shortcut that brings up the universal chat system. It's not super useful considering we all talk english on this server :p If you press the left-most face button while it's up though it'll switch to the symbol chat menu and you can pop up silly pictures other players will see.
While holding down the switch button the top-most face button becomes the infinitely more useful fast acess menu. From here you can use items, switch weapons or use a technique. handy for anything you don't have on the current palettes. The switch palette button will cycle through the 3 different quick menus and pressing the top-most face button will return.

Last but not least is the number shortcuts that take up the bottom of your screen. you should be able to guess how to use these, but how you set them isn't well explained so here's a quick guide: Go into the 'customisation' section as always, select any of the palette spaces and then with the attack/ability/technique you want highlighted, press the number button you want it assigned to and you should see that number appear on the ability/tech/whatever to indicate it is now bound.

While there's a lot more to cover than this, it should hopefully give you an idea of how it works at a basic level :3

Thanks for the post! I'll give it another shot later.

It's not remotely useful knowledge but for those who have a hard time deciphering/remember the class names, here's a quick explanation:

The first two letters of a class are always in caps and tell you which 'type' they are -
* HU = Hunter, the melee class
* RA = Ranger, the shooty class
* FO = Force, the mage class, aka oh god what am I doing I've made a terrible mistake

The rest of the class name that follows and is always lower case is a combined race and gender signifier as follows -
* mar = male human
* marl = female human
* cast = male robot (robots can't learn magic but they regenerate HP and get traps)
* caseal = female robot
* newm = male newman (elf-like race that's good at magic and passively regenerate TP)
* newearl = female newman

Note that the first 3 letters of a race are always the same regardless of gender (e.g. cas-t and cas-eal)
So now if someone says a class you can take the name apart and tell exactly what they are :3
E.g. RAcaseal = Ranger, female robot. FOnewearl = Force, female newman.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Ogni-XR21

A few Blue Burst tips:

- You can trigger the 1-0 shortcuts with the numpad. Just deactivate keyboard control and deactivate num-lock. Now all 10 shortcuts can be controlled by the right hand with the numpad while you can still control your character with the left hand using the pad. Perfect for forces.
- You can map the right analog stick too, this way you can walk with the left stick while navigating the menu with the right stick.
- You can play solo offline mode (with adjusted monster exp for solo play) by chosing single play when creating a game.

Sojiro

Just a PSA for anyone running AVG antivirus like I am, I did have to add exceptions for Launcher.exe, online.exe, option.exe, and PsoBB.exe. Looking online, it seems to be a common problem with Blue Burst and AVG. The game would not launch until I specifically added them as exceptions, the ignore threats option as they pop up will not work.

Lork

I know you're going for a mostly vanilla approach, but is there any possibility of just having a universal drop table? Or at least giving everybody a chance to get every item, even if certain IDs have better chances at some of them.

Because all this discussion of it and my own research into the topic when naming my character has reminded me that the whole SectionID system is nothing but a huge drag.

xBladeM6x

Just a reminder, if you use the "online.exe" instead of "launcher.exe" to launch the game and in options choose 1280x960 in Windowed Mode, it's perfect for maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, but big enough to almost fill your screen on a 1080p monitor.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A few Blue Burst tips:

- You can trigger the 1-0 shortcuts with the numpad. Just deactivate keyboard control and deactivate num-lock. Now all 10 shortcuts can be controlled by the right hand with the numpad while you can still control your character with the left hand using the pad. Perfect for forces.
- You can map the right analog stick too, this way you can walk with the left stick while navigating the menu with the right stick.
- You can play solo offline mode (with adjusted monster exp for solo play) by chosing single play when creating a game.

Note that the selection Solo under game mode adjusts HP to offline/solo mode, which is arguably more important. Try playing online solo and then go offline solo - world of difference. There was rumor at one point that drops were increased online, but I don't know if that's true.

Also!

Remember folks - PSOBB is NOT instanced loot. Every piece of loot is free for all. Once you start farming Ult for specific drops, it's important to either do random distribution or establish "rules" when hunting with friends.

And when playing multiplayer, the creator's ID is the drop table that is used for items (unless that was changed at some point).

N.A

Banned
I know you're going for a mostly vanilla approach, but is there any possibility of just having a universal drop table? Or at least giving everybody a chance to get every item, even if certain IDs have better chances at some of them.

Because all this discussion of it and my own research into the topic when naming my character has reminded me that the whole SectionID system is nothing but a huge drag.

I'm going to look into it once the server settles. Universal drops is probably the way I'll go rather than increasing rates.

Lork

I'm going to look into it once the server settles. Universal drops is probably the way I'll go rather than increasing rates.
A conservative approach might be to take the monster with the lowest drop rate for any exclusive rare, divide the rate by two, then add it to any IDs that were excluded before. That would mostly preserve the spirit of the old system while at least giving the "wrong" section IDs a chance to get each rare.

RalchAC

Ok guys, so I have a question.

Well, my 3 years old laptop has died and until I get a new computer I've taken my old buddie (and first laptop) from retirement.

It has a Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2390 @ 1,86 GHz, 2GB of ram and a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset family. Believe it or not, this little guy and me did quite a bit of WoW raiding during the Lich King era and it's never given me any problems. I've looked at the system requirements and for what I've found it could run PSO Blue Burst.

But I just wanted to be sure before I start looking for information.

PSO always looked like an awesome game I've wanted to play but I never had the chance. If there is a GAF server I'd totally want to give it a chance! I won't be able to play regularly until August 23th though.

What do you do if you already have a SCHTACK client?

Just ignore what's already there entirely (or delete it).

The package provided by the OP doesn't even require installation, it won't have anything to do with any other clients that may be installed on your machine.

A conservative approach might be to take the monster with the lowest drop rate for any exclusive rare, divide the rate by two, then add it to any IDs that were excluded before. That would mostly preserve the spirit of the old system while at least giving the "wrong" section IDs a chance to get each rare.

I agree with something like this. I'd still like section IDs to mean something because hey, in my opinion it's fun, but it would be nice to give others a chance at a possibly lower rate.

I cannot for the life of my wrap my head around this character name and section ID stuff, as a HUmar should I be going for the Oran section ID?

I cannot for the life of my wrap my head around this character name and section ID stuff, as a HUmar should I be going for the Oran section ID?

Honestly, don't worry too much about it. Oran is considered the "best" ID for RA (I think), but there are unique and interesting things that drop to each ID.

Top Bottom