• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

thedan001

There is a bug that no one gets exp, remaking a game fixes this

It's probably due to networking issue

I PM'ed N.A just in case

N.A

Banned
I hope the community will be honest enough that i'll have no problem restoring anything lost through bugs.

1) Will shared bank ever be a thing?
2) Will Red Ring, Parasitic Gene Flow and Rambling May be available on the server?
3) Will the Online Quests be updated/added eventually? I realize most people would spam TTF, but there are some other fun/cool quests that would be worth having.
4) E: I seem to remember a buff being made to techs at some point because they were pretty worthless on Ult otherwise. Anyone know if this is a thing?

1) It is. Type /bank ingame to switch banks.
2) Once everything is settled I'll look into these weapons. It should be a simple case of adding them to the drop tables.
3) Likewise, once everything settles i'll add look into quests, seems they're fairly simple to add.
4) No idea.

Jabba

Banned
Might have to get my LCD panel fixed on my laptop for this. Does anyone know if Gaf has a problem with damage cancelling from forces using offensive spells? On Schthack many players always wanted me to buff/debuff/heal, no offensive spells at all.

It's why I never played with many of them.

Lucumo

Did someone say we've upped the xp gain?
If that's the case I can see myself just remaking my current characters with names that get them the kind of drops I actually want :p

I also created a new character, a RAmar, but ignored all this fancy drop table section thingy whatever.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hope the community will be honest enough that i'll have no problem restoring anything lost through bugs.

1) It is. Type /bank ingame to switch banks.
2) Once everything is settled I'll look into these weapons. It should be a simple case of adding them to the drop tables.
3) Likewise, once everything settles i'll add look into quests, seems they're fairly simple to add.
4) No idea.

You are a SAINT. If you need or want help, please don't hesitate to ask. Gotta go grind!!

Kadin

Doh, sorry to my group on 'here we go 2'. I just got booted, not sure if it cancelled the quest for you guys.

This is Sniperoth btw.

edit: looks like you all are still in the party... good luck!

ilium

I also created a new character, a RAmar, but ignored all this fancy drop table section thingy whatever.

I know it doesn't seem important in the beginning, but you're going to regret that later. Unless we get custom loot tables of course..

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I say you should reroll to get a favorable Section ID because it will matter in the long run.

Here's a hint if there's a particular name you want to use but that name will always yield the same Section ID than simply add a space and it will change your Section ID. Didn't get what you liked? Try again and add two spaces this time (hit the space bar twice) and so on and so forth.

Scirrocco

So I'm another person who's antivirus thinks the launcher is a virus, the win/Heur. Before I go about circumventing it, are we absolutlely sure that its NOT a virus?

I doubt N.A. would knowingly give out tainted software, but he wouldn't have been the main creator. The original... adaptor... could have inserted something in it.

Just trying to be safe here.

Par Score

Section ID matters, but not everyone needs to be some min-maxed PSO god, similarly:

Might have to get my LCD panel fixed on my laptop for this. Does anyone know if Gaf has a problem with damage cancelling from forces using offensive spells? On Schthack many players always wanted me to buff/debuff/heal, no offensive spells at all.

It's why I never played with many of them.

You do you man, I really hope this server stays chill about stuff like this. Going off into the esoteric mechanical weeds and getting mad about them is what kills communities.

Lucumo

I say you should reroll to get a favorable Section ID because it will matter in the long run.

Here's a hint if there's a particular name you want to use but that name will always yield the same Section ID than simply add a space and it will change your Section ID. Didn't get what you liked? Try again and add two spaces this time (hit the space bar twice) and so on and so forth.

My RAmar has Virida and my HUmar has Oran. First seems fine(?) and second one is neutral in that regard?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So I'm another person who's antivirus thinks the launcher is a virus, the win/Heur. Before I go about circumventing it, are we absolutlely sure that its NOT a virus?

I doubt N.A. would knowingly give out tainted software, but he wouldn't have been the main creator. The original... adaptor... could have inserted something in it.

This software has been used for years and nobody's had a problem with it, don't worry!

Sophia

It's not a virus. Every client for every private PSO server runs into this issue too. It's a known issue, so don't worry about it.

Daingurse

Hopefully will be on at some point today, look for a Skyly Humar named Chirico .

1681547-chirico_3.jpg

Anti-viruses always seem to have an issue with the Blue Burst clients.

N.A

Banned
Regarding the client, it is the default client that comes with the server software with a small patch so it connects to the NeoPSO server. It's completely clean and has been used for years.

Section ID matters, but not everyone needs to be some min-maxed PSO god, similarly:

You do you man, I really hope this server stays chill about stuff like this. Going off into the esoteric mechanical weeds and getting mad about them is what kills communities.

I really wish Shifta, Deband, Jellen and Zalure had never been in PSO. Buffs and Debuffs like this are concentrated anti-fun to me :/
Healing and Rezzing are A-Ok with me, but when you have stat boosters like these the game ends up being balanced around them to some degree and refreshing them when they run out is a mindless, thankless chore :s Also, everyone running around looking like glowing red and blue christmas trees is uuuuugly :p

Viridia is not a very good ID, no matter the class.
Oran on the other hand is pretty good, so no worries here.
annoyingly I think Viridia is the only one that drops the Madam's Parasol, which I'd like for my potential Melee FOnewearl :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I never cared much about the Section ID min/max fuss back on the DC, I just played to have fun and named my characters whatever I wanted to. With this version do the section ID's effect more than they did back then, or is it still just drop rates pretty much?

If I remember right, Mengy = Skyly, man it's been awhile...

Kadin

RAmar Purplenum FTW! :p

edit: anyone having connection issues? Just tried to create a team which lagged out. Now I just loaded my character (Block 1) and sitting at the overview of the lobby.

I never cared much about the Section ID min/max fuss back on the DC, I just played to have fun and named my characters whatever I wanted to. With this version do the section ID's effect more than they did back then, or is it still just drop rates pretty much?

If I remember right, Mengy = Skyly, man it's been awhile...
Back in the DC it wasn't a huge deal as it was more about trends than absolutes, but in Blue Burst some of the highest weapons only appear on certain section IDs.
I much prefer the funny horoscope style thing they ended up using in PSU where a designated class and race was 'lucky' for that day and taking one with you into your games improved drops XD

Dang it, not managing to get a Humar Skylai :/ Any way to delete characters btw ?
Just select them in the character menu and choose 'recreate'

Lucumo

Thanks. Though, at least someone has to take the bad section ID. Most people seem to have played the game already and probably paid attention when they created their characters.

annoyingly I think Viridia is the only one that drops the Madam's Parasol, which I'd like for my potential Melee FOnewearl :p
He he :p

UrbanRats

So that "Patch Download" in the main menu shouldn't be touched for now, right? The "press enter in the patch screen" confused me a second.

SLV

Back in the DC it wasn't a huge deal as it was more about trends than absolutes, but in Blue Burst some of the highest weapons only appear on certain section IDs.
I much prefer the funny horoscope style thing they ended up using in PSU where a designated class and race was 'lucky' for that day and taking one with you into your games improved drops XD

Just select them in the character menu and choose 'recreate'

Try the section ID calculator in the OP it should save some time.

Thanks, all sorted out now ! Character name Slv ;)

ilium

I really wish Shifta, Deband, Jellen and Zalure had never been in PSO. Buffs and Debuffs like this are concentrated anti-fun to me :/
Healing and Rezzing are A-Ok with me, but when you have stat boosters like these the game ends up being balanced around them to some degree and refreshing them when they run out is a mindless, thankless chore :s Also, everyone running around looking like glowing red and blue christmas trees is uuuuugly :p

Well, I for one love buffing/debuffing!

And bummer about the Parasol :p

Redria HUmar here, for all your armor needs!

Yea, here's the thing. While ID can be pretty important, we're a rather small community so it'd be easy to share drops. So don't throw away those rares! Someone with an unlucky ID might need it.

Anyone else have their game do nothing from the launcher and getting an error code 5 when running from offline?
I'm running on Windows 10 if its any help

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Like others have said it's just a false positive the game gives out and you will run into this issue no matter what version of PSO BB you run.

But if your interested in knowing why it gives out this false positive is because the client has been modified to connect to a specific Server (And not the official dead servers) and PSOBB recognises the original files have been modified so it gives out the false positive because SEGA's Gameguard thinks there's foul play at work here.

So don't worry abou it.

Skeff

Thanks. Though, at least someone has to take the bad section ID. Most people seem to have played the game already and probably paid attention when they created their characters.

He he :p

It has a lot of rifle drops IIRC so it could be much worse.

Miker

In case it helps anybody else, I was able to force SSAA via AMD control panel.

I still have no idea what I'm doing, though. I entered a mission, with Jackano, I think? And then I shot some aliendogs? Then I gave up.

silentbum

Neo Member
I rolled around yesterday as a HUcast known as Asimov. Still findin' my way around and figuring out how all this online infrastructure works since a majority of the time I've spent with PSO has been offline or via splitscreen on the Gamecube version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Xeno - Whitil - RAcast (Guld Milla one day)
Krystal - Redria - HUcaseal (Rainbow Slicer <3)

Need to figure out what ID to go with for my FO. Also need to make a Purplenum for all that Mech goodness. Also need to make a few other characters to farm some delicious SJS and such.

Oh...One idea to prevent people trying to game the recovery of lost items later on - screenshot any red boxes you get with super rare stuff. Only seems fair. I mean, that's how you did it on other servers to prove you got a legit drop.

Also!

Are there any active Mag Trainers out there still? I already fucked up my 5/145/50/0 MAG because Kalki doesn't have any good -DEF options. I could just change my mats around to max my RAcast, but it's just annoying since the 5 makes it easier to get rare mags.

N.A

Banned
Some server stats:

Total Accounts: 183
Peak Online Players: 32

We have a Sephiroth! We're officially a PSO server:

Anyone else have their game do nothing from the launcher and getting an error code 5 when running from offline?
I'm running on Windows 10 if its any help

Looks like an antivirus false positive issue. Add all the .exe's to your exception list.

In case it helps anybody else, I was able to force SSAA via AMD control panel.

I still have no idea what I'm doing, though. I entered a mission, with Jackano, I think? And then I shot some aliendogs? Then I gave up.

Ok, here's a quick primer to PSOing :3

If you just go down to the planet without a mission you can do free-roaming mode in which you clear your way through the world, popping open boxes for loot and killing monster/pressing switches to unlock doors until you get to the boss which when killed will leave behind boxes full of goodies and a teleporter back to Pioneer 2. The order of the locations also kind of shows the level progression so if you're a brand new character I'd stick to forest until you manage to kill the dragon (which is roughly about level 5 I'd say) It works very much like Diablo in that sense.
When you get to higher levels you'll want to try harder difficulties than normal because you get much better loot and the monsters are more challenging, with some interesting changes taking place at the highest difficulty levels like ultimate which completely swaps out the monsters for new ones :3

Anyhoo, let's cover some basic controls and stuff now :D

In the bottom right of the screen you'll find what's known as your 'palette' which is basically a description of what your 4 face buttons on a joypad will do and you should ideally correct your button binds to match (on the 360 in default binds, the left and right buttons are inverted for some reason)
Your default ones will be the same as you see in this picture:
So, at the bottom of the palette you have 'normal attack' which will swing your current weapon. This is the fastest and most accurate weapon attack you have.
When attacking, if you press any attack button while in the last bit of your swinging animation, you can attack immediately again: you can tell if you succeeded because it will have a different animation from your normal swing. The timing isn't incredibly hard but you'll have to try a few times to get the hang of it as too early or too late won't do anything. Anyhoo, you can do up to 3 attacks in this manner.
Each attack in a chain is more accurate than the last, so if you're fighting a creature that you see 'miss' float off a lot, it's often better to start swinging before they're in range so they walk into your 2nd or 3rd attack instead.

Now that we've covered that, let's get back to the palette and begin with the left-most button which is set to 'heavy attack'. This attack has the same animation as a normal attack but is delayed by a charge-up effect at the start, making it take longer to swing. This attack is also much less accurate than your normal attack so it's usually better to chain into it than to try and start with one. Why would you use heavy attack with all these problems? Because not only does heavy attack do more damage, but it also causes more knockback on enemies as well, which can sometimes give you the breathing space you need to recover from your swing instead of taking a retaliatory swipe to the face from the monster you just hit :p

The right-most button will be set to 'monomates' which are an item you can buy/pick up that replenish your health when consumed. You start with 5 if I remember correctly, but you'll sometimes find them in boxes as you explore and the green shop on pioneer should sell them. Later in the game you will find dimates, which heal even more hp and later still you will find trimates which are a full heal regardless of how much HP you have. Items stack up to a maximum of 10, if you try and pick up any more when you already have 10 of that item it won't let you.

So, that's the basic palette covered. The important thing to know is that you can change what the buttons on the palette do by going into the menu (click in the right stick on your pad to access this) and selecting 'customisation'

Also important is that you'll note there seems to be a little thing just under the palette saying 'ctrl'. This is a palette switch function that gives you access to a second palette while it's held (so holding down ctrl or whatever button is set to switch palettes will change what your buttons do to the second palette.) this allows you to have up to 6 different buttons to play with via a combination of the bottom 3 face buttons and holding or not holding the switch button :3

I skipped over the top face button because this is locked to certain functions. The normal top button is a chat shortcut that brings up the universal chat system. It's not super useful considering we all talk english on this server :p If you press the left-most face button while it's up though it'll switch to the symbol chat menu and you can pop up silly pictures other players will see.
While holding down the switch button the top-most face button becomes the infinitely more useful fast acess menu. From here you can use items, switch weapons or use a technique. handy for anything you don't have on the current palettes. The switch palette button will cycle through the 3 different quick menus and pressing the top-most face button will return.

Last but not least is the number shortcuts that take up the bottom of your screen. you should be able to guess how to use these, but how you set them isn't well explained so here's a quick guide: Go into the 'customisation' section as always, select any of the palette spaces and then with the attack/ability/technique you want highlighted, press the number button you want it assigned to and you should see that number appear on the ability/tech/whatever to indicate it is now bound.

While there's a lot more to cover than this, it should hopefully give you an idea of how it works at a basic level :3

AdamT

So after playing PSO2 for about a year, going back to this is a bit difficult. I'm having a tough time with the camera and controls. However, having people that speak English to form a party with is worth it. Overall fun so far.

Top Bottom