• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoPSO |OT| Unofficial GAF Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Server

N.A

Banned
The server was just restarted. Seasonal event quests have been disabled (they will be enabled at the right time of year).

Jackano

Saw another rare Lily. Was in a normal quest, though :(
She generously dropped a general/mind.

Still no luck with bears. That torr don't count, it was Marley's luck. However just now two consecutive bears dropped their head. I have bear canes for everyone you should know.

I'll be able to get more in the coming week or so. If you're interested tell me what ID you are and maybe we can make an exchange.

Edit:

Also, the disconnects have been real today. I've been cut off several times today, and I'm watching my party members drop out often too. Is this isolated/random?

I'll have to get on the grind then since I'm only Level 25, but I'd be more than happy to find something for a swap.

I'm trying to understand the general flow of this game.

I've mostly gone by just going through the episode 1 zones with other players in normal and hard mode until we reach the boss. Seems like this is what everyone does at my level but then whats the point of the hunter guild quests or the principle quests?

Also, why does this game have 4 different difficulty levels? Seems that normal mode seems completly pointless to go through once you quickly reach level 20ish. I haven't even done Ruins yet because I just went from doing normal mode mines to hard mode forest. The loot game gets way better once you leave normal mode.

Jackano

I've mostly gone by just going through the episode 1 zones with other players in normal and hard mode until we reach the boss. Seems like this is what everyone does at my level but then whats the point of the hunter guild quests or the principle quests?

Also, why does this game have 4 different difficulty levels? Seems that normal mode seems completly pointless to go through once you quickly reach level 20ish. I haven't even done Ruins yet because I just went from doing normal mode mines to hard mode forest. The loot game gets way better once you leave normal mode.
Well you get the flow pretty well actually.

Principal quests are more for story-purpose in short burst, and were introduced in BB who was the first PSO game always online (correct me if wrong). Before that you could play offline and enjoy the story (which is good) during long sessions.

Guild quests have different setups and pacing, and can be usefull for grabbing stuff (loot or rewards).
I enjoy doing them but I'm an exception :)

4 difficulty levels always been too much IMO. So right, normal or hard are quickly useless. You will spend time in VH, because Ultimate is really, really hard most of the time.
And even within a difficulty level, people often run Forest and Mines. Caves is boring, and Ruins can be a lot of work. That's for grinding. After a while, you get into the loot game like you said, and target what you need in the vast array of quests and setups you have.

Anybody want to try the Luck Material based TTF with me later? I want to see if they are awared, and if they are, if they are easily farm-able. I need like 25 Luck Mats for my build + however many you need.

LaneDS

Carrying on that question, how does episode II and IV play into things?

My brother and I just made it through all of episode I on normal (he'd never played it so we went through the Principal quests, which are pretty terrible usually) and then hopped into episode II normal at level 34-ish and were destroying everything and the loot was terrible.

I played episode IV way back when PSOBB originally came out but mostly forget it... how is it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Carrying on that question, how does episode II and IV play into things?

My brother and I just made it through all of episode I on normal (he'd never played it so we went through the Principal quests, which are pretty terrible usually) and then hopped into episode II normal at level 34-ish and were destroying everything and the loot was terrible.

I played episode IV way back when PSOBB originally came out but mostly forget it... how is it?

On normal:

VR Temple = Caves
VR Spaceship = Mines
Control Center = Ruins
Seabed = H Caves

This sort of carries on from difficulty to difficulty. Ult Seabed is probably the hardest area between Ep 1 and Ep 2, and the final boss of Ep 2 is pretty tough on Ult. Some people think Ep 4 Ult is harder than Seabed, but I tend to disagree. But to each their own.

Jackano

Anybody want to try the Luck Material based TTF with me later? I want to see if they are awared, and if they are, if they are easily farm-able. I need like 25 Luck Mats for my build + however many you need.

I'm up for it tonight. I only have my ranger guy character, though.
Don't know how many I may want. At least some, preferably a dozen, and I'll be fully satisfied with 20 :)

Zalusithix

Finally past 50, so on to V. Hard!

Good job I'm not the kind of person who worries about keeping up with the Jones' :D

Pfft, I have two characters in the 20s. Keeping up? What's that? Perhaps once I get my mags straightened out and decide whether the RA or FO will be my main... Nah, I'll still be a slacker in levels. =P

N.A

Banned
Update from one of the devs of Tethealla (the server software NeoPSO uses):

Sodaboy said:
I expect the new release will come out this week with the source 2 weeks afterward.

Here are just some of the changes:

Improved bank code to reduce desync
Mag code more accurate to the client code (there is still a slight desync though).

New, more accurate drop tables.
Team Point implementation
Team Point Purchases (Teth will be set like Sega. In that team member limits and team flag will need to be unlocked by purchasing the privilege).
Send Item to Team Member
Trade Window
???? Bug fixed (Item desync/corruption)
Battle Mode Score saving and appear above players head in lobby
Block user now working (this will enable you to stop simple mail and team join requests)
Auto Answer Service now working.
Join User will now join the players game if possible (passworded games can be joined by using the /setpass command in the lobby) (this doesn't currently support cross ship but will work to different blocks).

There's much more too :)

Zalusithix

Update from one of the devs of Tethealla (the server software NeoPSO uses):

Has this new version been in testing live on his own server? Or are we going to end up running code that hasn't seen real testing yet? I get the impression that a fair amount of the server code has been rewritten.

Also:
New, more accurate drop tables.
Looks like we're going to have to go through the dance to get the JSON data again. =P

N.A

Banned
Has this new version been in testing live on his own server? Or are we going to end up running code that hasn't seen real testing yet? I get the impression that a fair amount of the server code has been rewritten.

Yes, they've been running the code live on their server for a few weeks making continuous fixes/improvements.

Zalusithix

Yes, they've been running the code live on their server for a few weeks making continuous fixes/improvements.

That's fine then. If it wasn't I'd be a bit leery of implementing it right away. Granted we could always roll back if there were big problems - so long as we have a pre-update database backup that is. I know you have an automated backup, but I'm not sure if it keep multiple versions or just the latest.

N.A

Banned
That's fine then. If it wasn't I'd be a bit leery of implementing it right away. Granted we could always roll back if there were big problems - so long as we have a pre-update database backup that is. I know you have an automated backup, but I'm not sure if it keep multiple versions or just the latest.

Been keeping daily backups since the server started so everything is safe. The database is only a couple MBs when compressed so it's easy to store.

Crystalkoen

It's mainly the EP4 drops that are changed as the current ones are nothing like the original sega ones.

So people were spitballing what those mobs should be dropping, and at what rates, or is it even further in that loot that SHOULD have been dropping was unavailable?

Were you doing them solo?

I was running Hard TTF solo last night, mid-30s FOnewearl. Took a little fenangling and skipping some mobs in Cave for speed, and I can't do Mines, but clearing through De Rol Le was pretty solid for a solo Force, ~20 minutes. Also gives me chances at the Talis weapon drop from Rollie-poo. Just had to be careful not to end up in a Hentai while on the boat, as a tentacle crit would 1-shot me.

thedan001

It's mainly the EP4 drops that are changed as the current ones are nothing like the original sega ones.

So the EP4 rare drop rates will be nerfed? We've been getting some high tier rates dropping in EP4 max attacks and I wondered if this was intended because stuff in EP4 are better than older episodes with a better drop rate %'s

Or is drop tables being adjusted so 1/200000 gets changed into average drop rates as other rares?

I'm confused :eek:

Jackano

We've been doing the rappy festival in the search for the luck materials and the floor ended up like this:

I believe the three of us got one each. We also got TP mats. And a photon drop in a box lol

N.A

Banned
So the EP4 rare drop rates will be nerfed? We've been getting some high tier rates dropping in EP4 max attacks and I wondered if this was intended because stuff in EP4 are better than older episodes with a better drop rate %'s

Or is drop tables being adjusted so 1/200000 gets changed into average drop rates as other rares?

I'm confused :eek:

I haven't compared the tables but the EP4 drop tables we have currently were basically a "best guess" from the Teth developers.

Anyway, the new tables will just be our starting point. I'll be looking for feedback into adjusting the rates and possibly including previously unobtainable items.

SoldatJ

Neo Member
Some old japanese PSO wiki had accurate drop tables from official BB and this is what the new EP4 drop table has been based off. I'm not familiar with EP4 stuff but you can see what the new tables will be here: http://ephinea.pioneer2.net/drops.php?secid=0

I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, certain rares drop a lot easier, but only on 1 or 2 Section IDs. On the other, with the current tables, multiple Section IDs get the same rares, but at a worse rate. (I only looked at the specific things I'm trying to get, so take this with a grain of salt.)

thedan001

I haven't compared the tables but the EP4 drop tables we have currently were basically a "best guess" from the Teth developers.

Anyway, the new tables will just be our starting point. I'll be looking for feedback into adjusting the rates and possibly including previously unobtainable items.

I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, certain rares drop a lot easier, but only on 1 or 2 Section IDs. On the other, with the current tables, multiple Section IDs get the same rares, but at a worse rate. (I only looked at the specific things I'm trying to get, so take this with a grain of salt.)

Of course, this is a tricky topic. Rares should stay rare to a certain degree. As to where the line is at with drop rates...I trust N.A's judgment with this stuff. I like how rare enemy spawns were handled.

I was asking about how EP1-2 rares would be balanced with EP4 rares because a lot of the EP4 rares makes old rares obsolete and way easier to farm/hunt for.

Again, N.A has been great with things so far. I'm really into PSO just because it's PSO. I love everything about it, thanks again for making it happen

Some old japanese PSO wiki had accurate drop tables from official BB and this is what the new EP4 drop table has been based off. I'm not familiar with EP4 stuff but you can see what the new tables will be here: http://ephinea.pioneer2.net/drops.php?secid=0

Oh SWEET the Rianov-5 is here! That's by far my favorite weapon in the whole game. Was bummed when I didn't see it in past drop tables.

Question - is Dangerous Deal with Black Paper a thing on this server? That's the quest that you exchange Photon Crystals in Ep4 to go fight tough guys for 10 minutes then get random rares.

Of course, this is a tricky topic. Rares should stay rare to a certain degree. As to where the line is at with drop rates...I trust N.A's judgment with this stuff. I like how rare enemy spawns were handled.

I was asking about how EP1-2 rares would be balanced with EP4 rares because a lot of the EP4 rares makes old rares obsolete and way easier to farm/hunt for.

Again, N.A has been great with things so far. I'm really into PSO just because it's PSO. I love everything about it, thanks again for making it happen

This is very true.

Also, I think we should experiment with the new tables for a bit, and maybe make adjustments as need. That's my opinion.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Did anybody test if you can get a Luck Material on TTF yet? If not anybody with a female character willing to help me test it once I get home from work? I should be ready in about 70 minutes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yikes, can basically kiss Heaven Striker goodbye with this new table :(

Holy shit. That CAN'T be right. 0.0006%? That's about 1/166,667 on Whitill. For comparison, Sealed-J Sword is 0.0079%, which translates to about 1/12,658. That's more than 10x more rare than what most people consider to be the rarest weapon in the game, ha.

SoldatJ

Neo Member
Holy shit. That CAN'T be right. 0.0006%? That's about 1/166,667 on Whitill. For comparison, Sealed-J Sword is 0.0079%, which translates to about 1/12,658. That's more than 10x more rare than what most people consider to be the rarest weapon in the game, ha.

I think you mixed up Heaven Striker with Heaven Punisher. If you look at our current drop tables, Heaven Punisher is at .0006% (1/174762) on Whitill, which is the same with the drop tables that N.A linked.

Heaven Striker, however, will be more or less rare depending on how you look at it. As of right now, 5 Section IDs can obtain it from a common enemy at a low rate (.0684%). In the drop tables from the link Purplenum and Bluefull will have a much high chance of getting it from a Kondrieu (50%).

thedan001

I think you mixed up Heaven Striker with Heaven Punisher. If you look at our current drop tables, Heaven Punisher is at .0006% (1/174762) on Whitill, which is the same with the drop tables that N.A linked.

Heaven Striker, however, will be more or less rare depending on how you look at it. As of right now, 5 Section IDs can obtain it from a common enemy at a low rate (.0684%). In the drop tables from the link Purplenum and Bluefull will have a much high chance of getting it from a Kondrieu (50%).

This is exactly the dilemma I was trying to present. On paper, it looks easy to get with a 50% droprate, however, that's not the case. EP4 ultimate ruins level monsters are a much tougher fight to deal with compared to EP1 ruins enemies

Add to the fact that Kondrieu is a rare form of the final boss with a 1/20 spawn rate, Only dedicated groups capable of dealing with EP4 ultimate could have a shot with Heaven Striker, and I think that's fair for the item

Feedback is what N/A is looking for, and it's a good way to calculate drop rate and difficulty together

ace3093

Neo Member
Wow it was dead online when I was playing a few minutes ago only four people playing.

Anyway finally completed the single player missions!

If I am online let me know if you need an animal part converted. I will be happy to help out if I am not busy. Now to start leveling!

My name in game is Ziru.

Did anybody test if you can get a Luck Material on TTF yet? If not anybody with a female character willing to help me test it once I get home from work? I should be ready in about 70 minutes.

Yeah, TOM from LEGO (haha, where's my invite?) and I tested it today. The quest was very meticulous and drawn out. We never actually manage to complete it, (TOM is a terrible lover; 1/10 btw). We did have some -small- luck with the Rappy Holiday quest though. Be warned that this quest will suck the living soul of you if you try to farm it for Luck Materials. (We did managed to get 3 though).

Add to the fact that Kondrieu is a rare form of the final boss with a 1/20 spawn rate, Only dedicated groups capable of dealing with EP4 ultimate could have a shot with Heaven Striker, and I think that's fair for the item

I guess that's where we differ; basically, your chance of getting ONE Heaven Striker, a decent weapon for a RA and really good 50% of the time for a RA with the right setup, is 1/40 Ultimate runs of Episode 4. And requires four high level players. That's just crazy. I'd much rather have a smaller chance of getting it from something else (the way it is now and was on Schthack).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Previous Guides:
1-How to obtain:Kan'ei Tsuho,Lollipop, and Stealth Suit
2-Government Quests

The quest mention below can be done in either One Person or Normal Mode

How to obtain: Ranger Wall/Force Wall/Hunter Wall and other
* This quest can be done in any difficulty
* This Quest can be found under the Shops Section in Episode II
* For detail information on Ranger Wall Click Here
* For detail information on Force Wall Click Here
* For detail information on Haunter Wall Click Here
* For detail information on all of the other items you get by PD trading just click on the name

Final Quest:Gallon's Shop

Part A-Gallon's Shop
After you load the quest go inside the room to the left of the shops and you will see a counter, talk to the receptionist and you will be given the Option to transport to Gallon's Shop
64.jpg
once your transported you will notice 4 machines in the room and Gallon behind the counter
There are various item you can obtain here by using maseta or Gallon Points:
*You can win Gallon Points by playing the mini games in 3 of the 4 machines in the room
Here is what you can do and get in this shop:
* Buying Disk Volumes (Music Disks), this disk change your Background Music, they can be bought with 30 Gallon Points or 10000 Maseta
Here are the Available Disks to buy:
Disk: Song Name:
Disk Vol. 1 Wedding Song
Disk Vol. 2 Daylight (Remix of Lobby Music)
Disk Vol. 3 Burning Rangers (Japanese)
Disk Vol. 6 Dreams Dreams (Children)
Disk Vol. 7 'Can Still See the Light' (Piano)
* You can also wrap items in a present which cost either 30 Gallon Points or 10000 Maseta
* Once you save between 300-310 Gallon points a Buy ??? option will appear and you will get a wall depending on what class you are
Ranger=Ranger Wall Force=Force Wall and Hunter=Hunter Wall

Part B-Paganini (PD trading)
If you have PDs (Photon Drops) in your inventory go down the lech and turn left to met Hopkins who he explains his father collects PDs
once your transported you will meet Paganini Hopkin's father
once you agree to trade all of your PDs in your inventory he will start making offers based on the amount of PDs you have in your inventory
If he offers something you don't want simply decline and try again till you get what you want
Here is a list of items you can get based on the Minimum amount of PDs in your inventory:
1 Photon Drop
Monofluid
Monomate
Add Slot
ASSIST BARRIER
RECOVERY BARRIER
20 Photon Drops
Magic Water
Parasitic Cell Type D
Berill Photon
RED BARRIER
BLUE BARRIER
YELLOW BARRIER
NEI'S CLAW (Replica)
Broom
Flower Cane
50 Photon Drops
Magic Rock "Heart Key"
Blue-Black Stone
Photon Booster
99 Photon Drops
Photon Sphere
**WARNING! Only have the MINIMUM Amount of PDs of what you want in your inventory! If you want an Add Slot make sure there's only 1 PD in your inventory and not more like 19 of them because he will TAKE ALL PDs in your inventory.

SoldatJ

Neo Member
Yeah, TOM from LEGO (haha, where's my invite?) and I tested it today. The quest was very meticulous and drawn out. We never actually manage to complete it, (TOM is a terrible lover; 1/10 btw). We did have some -small- luck with the Rappy Holiday quest though. Be warned that this quest will suck the living soul of you if you try to farm it for Luck Materials. (We did managed to get 3 though).

B-But...it replaces your soul with something so much more festive!

Vamos a Carnaval!!

I just want to point out that the Ranger Wall you can get from Gallon's Shop is one of the best Ranger barriers out there. In my last go-around with PSO, I used it from lvl 40ish all the way to 120.

Top Bottom