• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

zroid

Banned
r4lpLMB.png

crazy

-Eddman-

Looks really good and was one of my favorite things from the Direct. The sad thing is that it made me want a SNES Remix :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This seems to be a hit, so I think a SNES Remix is very likely. Maybe even a NES Remix 2 as well (or DLC).
I would like to take this time to imagine some games they could use for SNES Remix:

- Super Mario World
- Link to the Past
- Super Metroid
- Super Mario Kart
- Pilotwings
- Kirby Super Star or Dream Land 3
- F-Zero
- Super Punch-Out
- Yoshi's Island
- Star Fox
- Donkey Kong Country (assuming they can, despite the games being removed from VC)

Downhome

Just bought it, love it!

I'm playing with the GP for the time being. Anyone else find yourself playing games like this...

JMv7CKT.jpg

...instead of like this?

Ez5JXxs.jpg

The NES layout is far too ingrained into my brain. I can't play NES style games with any other sort of layout, I just can't.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just tried playing this with the Wii MH3 black "Pro" controller plugged into a synced Wii-mote, and it wouldn't recognize it.

Can you play this with a Wii Pro controller? What is the correct way to set it up if so?

Wow, this is far better than I ever expected it to be. Hopefully Nintendo expands upon this further in DLC or addition "remix" games. Between this and Donkey Kong Crash Course in Nintendoland, I can safely say Nintendo definitely still has it when it comes to making addictive arcade gameplay.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know the feeling, lol. If it were $10 as it's 10 Euro, I wouldn't have even hesitated probably.

Same for me. But I thought about it and realized I could pout over $5, or just suck it up and enjoy the game. Hopefully, I actually will enjoy it once it's done downloading.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally, unlocked Zelda after getting
100 stars.
Wonder how long it'll take to unlock the rest of the games & remixes.

Sails

Banned
If you play the same NES VC games in Wii mode on the same Wii U they don't have that blurriness. So I think it'd be strange if Nintendo didn't make the blurriness on purpose for the Wii U's NES emulator.

Personally I'd be shocked if it WASN'T a filter to mimic the blurriness of hooking up an actual NES via coaxial cables to a 1980s TV set.

I just wish Nintendo put an option somewhere to turn it off.

Pretty positive it's a toned down NTSC filter they applied, but it has been a while since I checked out NES VC on WiiU.

Also, I noticed in the GGCX episode that the engine exploit in SMB where so long as Mario is falling enemies will be killed from below is present. It happens on the cheep-cheep Remix stage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHBwKtMAxs#t=1277

So yeah, 99% chance it's some fancy OBJ/BG layer based emulation, that's not something that would make it through a porting process without source code involved.

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member
I adore this. It's the best parts of GameCenter CX and WarioWare's 9Volt stages.

Plus more stamps!

Happiest I've been with an eshop purchase in ages.

Camjo-Z

I am really liking this so far! My only complaints are that some of these games probably should not have been included (did anyone really want to see Golf or Urban Champion again) and the Link in Donkey Kong missions are the only crossover I've seen so far, was expecting more considering it's what they opened with in the Direct. Other than that though it's great, hopefully we see a SNES Remix down the road sometime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So Wrecking Crew unlocks at
130 Stars.
Wonder if anyone's made a chart of the unlockable games yet.

manhack

From the webpage: "ONLY ON WIIU"

Just watched the trailer.

Oh crap is this going to make me buy a WiiU???

:goes out to buy WiiU:

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
This is way more compelling than it has any right to be.

They totally nailed the whole wrapper around the games. DLC with more interesting games would be marvelous.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Pretty positive it's a toned down NTSC filter they applied, but it has been a while since I checked out NES VC on WiiU.

Also, I noticed in the GGCX episode that the engine exploit in SMB where so long as Mario is falling enemies will be killed from below is present. It happens on the cheep-cheep Remix stage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHBwKtMAxs#t=1277

So yeah, 99% chance it's some fancy OBJ/BG layer based emulation, that's not something that would make it through a porting process without source code involved.
I am guessing that each stage is rom coupled with a save state and then memory locations that the emulator watches for the game to jump to or modify to determine the win lose conditions. Having the original ASM sources probably helps in identifying the right locations to watch. Kind of like the NES emulator that supports lua scripting.

They can definitely hook into the GPU emulation to add effects like drop shadows between layers since those are explicit hardware concepts.

I am guessing that this started as a side project of whoever at nintendo was tasked with the virtual console emulators.

RazorK1d

I'm loving this game! The only thing I wish it had was leaderboards with your friends at least. This game is ripe for bragging rights of fast times and posting to Miiverse shouldn't be the only way you share that info. Fantastic game otherwise and worth the $15 easily.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, for some reason, I'm really taking to Miiverse with this game, & I've only really used it once to show off a glitch in Sonic Lost World. Think it's those stamps and these challenges.

& Remix 2 available at
& then Ice Climbers at

Tripon

I went and bought this about a hour ago, and I'm loving it so far. Just the type of mini game I want to play after a long day's work. I wish it was on the 3DS too because these micro-games would work great on a handheld.

BTW, I also made a review thread for NES remix, lol at only two reviews so far, and nobody giving it a score yet. Seems like Nintendo didn't bother to pre-screen it for anybody.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Gotta say, I'm really liking this game. A lot of the games are pretty much perfect for this. I don't have any particular interest in sitting down and playing some of the simpler games, like Balloon Fight or Donkey Kong, but throwing those into this sort of challenge style setup makes them a hell of a lot more compelling. I sat there for two hours just plugging away at those games, despite that apathy for the originals.

Things seem to unlock at the perfect rate, too -- you constantly feel rewarded for doing stuff. So, it seems like a really solid game so far. And I love the fact that it was a surprise up until the ND announcement. Honestly, these are the sorts of things I want to see from Nintendo on the eShop: something that's fun, addictive, and that you can just jump into and enjoy immediately.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wait, is this out??

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Top Bottom