• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Exile20

Things are going incredibly off topic in this thread.

I assume mostly from people who want to play this but dont have a WiiU

That is always the case.

They troll the Wii U because they do not have the system. Maybe trolling comforts them at night.

Anyway I am at work and can't d/l it yet but how are the leaderboards integrated?

orborborb

"we need to do a mobile game to build up awareness of our brands with people who don't own our hardware"

"but giving people an experience that's no better than what they are already getting on their phones will do more harm than good"

"our little team can do it, instead of releasing NES games on phones, we will design a warioware like experience using bits and pieces of the old games with challenges tailored to playing on a phone/tablet"

"ok give it a shot"

a few months later

"this is fun to play on my phone/tablet, but not good enough to represent our brand, let's give it to our biggest fans who own Wii Us and watch Nintendo Direct as a holiday surprise and maybe to get them to buy some more virtual console games"

"give away? our research shows our fans will pay upwards of $15 for this!"

(now I'm off to pay my $15)

Andrew.

Banned
That is always the case.

They troll the Wii U because they do not have the system. Maybe trolling comforts them at night.

Anyway I am at work and can't d/l it yet but how are the leaderboards integrated?

I dont know where the actual leaderboards are but as long as Miiverse is turned on, random scores will be posted next to each individual game stage.

The game is surprisingly fun. I'm not big fan of these old school NES games, but cut them into these bite size chunks and add some wario ware style randomness and they are suddenly fun again.

qko

Love how some of the off topic stuff comes in the sense that Nintendo is trolling for actually making games people want.

Hardcore dork watching Nintendo Direct this morning: Zelda Dynasty Warriors? Sucks. Kirby Yoshi and Mario KART 8? Sucks. HAHAHAHA Nintendoooooooomed!!!

Wait, what this? NES Remix? I want that game, Nintendo is trolling for not putting it on the App Store...

WAAAAAAAAH MOMMY MAKE THE EVIL MAN STOP AND MAKE HIM PUT THE GAME ON MY PHONE! MAKE HIM MOMMY! MAKE HIM!!! $15 is awful. Wii U is AWFUL. Wii U is BOMBA! This game sucks! you suck! everything sucks! NINTENDOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

Artorias

Banned
I'm probably going to buy this in a few hours, but I wish there were less bad games included. A game like this but with only NES games that people would actually want to play included would be amazing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Frankly I'm not sure anymore how to estimate perceived value for Nintendo products. Attitudes have become firmly entrenched to the effect:

"Downloadable games? 5 bucks tops and LOL! NES games should be free."

"Console games? I'm paying for the knowledge that 900 people worked for 3 years with a 100 million dollar budget to create astounding graphics and presentation. Anything less isn't worth more than $30 bucks."

Then there's firesales from Steam, Amazon end of year, etc, which lead people to see $15 as equaling a AAA GOTY package even though that was you know, $60-$80 at launch.

Nintendo products are entirely out of step with this world since they tend to place polish, replayability, lasting power, and gameplay over everything else in value. And they seem to believe some things shouldn't become devalued over time, like arcade gameplay.

mantidor

Why is everyone shutting the thread with port begging? stop.

A link to the trailer in the OP would be nice the site is not mobile friendly.

Andrew.

Banned
]Nintendo products are entirely out of step with this world since they tend to place polish, replayability, lasting power, and gameplay over everything else in value. And they seem to believe some things shouldn't become devalued over time, like arcade gameplay.

And that's why I've loved the company ever since I was a kid.

Krabboss

Can we stop pretending that mobile always = phones without physical controls? When I say mobile I mean a game that is, well, mobile. Be it on the 3DS or an Xperia Play. And gamepads work with Android.

Mobile is generally used to mean smartphones. Say handhelds if you mean 3DS because that's the accepted term for things like that. No, there's no smart reason for either distinction, but that's what those words are generally used to mean.

Platy

I can't help but say this.

This would be the perfect kind of mobile game.

Donkey Kong WITHOUT JUMPING controlled in a MOBILE PHONE ?

Are you waiting for the next batch to have Super Mario Bros 2 Lost Levels with invisible platforms or something ?

Also, it would have been even more great if Nintendo teamed up with Sega for this.

Master Remix would be awesome

Tiu Neo

That was unexpected. Downloaded the game now, and it's pretty fun!

Also, people saying those games should go mobile are insane. Can't imagine how playing most of those on a touchscreen would be better.

Nintendo products are entirely out of step with this world since they tend to place polish, replayability, lasting power, and gameplay over everything else in value. And they seem to believe some things shouldn't become devalued over time, like arcade gameplay.

There's always the good part about Nintendo living in their own world: Their games are pretty unique to Nintendo.

...but I still think they could rethink some backwards policies on online to be similar to the competition.

mstevens

I'll definitely be picking this up eventually, but I'll have spent way too much money in December on video games to justify another $15 purchase for this.

chris121580

At first I was like "that is so stupid" that they would waste their time with this.
Then I realized this is work of what? 3 to 5 people inside Ninty? So I was fine with it.
But $15?! That`s not Ok guys. You could get some of the best games of this year with that amount.

Is this a serious post?? 15 bucks is a complete steal for the amount of content you get. Some people's perception of what games should be priced are seriously skewed.

Neifirst

This will be my first purchase using the discounted eShop cards I picked up from Best Buy last week. Need some Wario Ware-type goodness this holiday!

I wonder why Nintendo didn't make a game like this with 9-Volt sooner. And why isn't he in this game? This is pretty much what a 9-Volt game would be.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm really liking this but I want to know the requirements for rainbow stars. I've done it on two levels already.

stuminus3

Why do people keep saying this? Ever played League of Evil? Dpad, two buttons, twitch platform gameplay, works perfectly with touch controls.
This is wrong. I *love* the League of Evil games. I've 100% beaten the first two games. They are really, really good for what they are. But even the very best touch screen 'virtual controls' are a complete pile of arse compared to using a real gamepad, especially a Nintendo one. LoE is very playable but it's not the same thing.

I've discovered the same thing with Cave shooters recently, after being really impressed with their iPhone games the last couple of years I've gone back to the 'real thing' and found that the iPhone games are so vastly inferior, it's not even close, even though they're very very playable on a touch screen.

(Sorry, I know this isn't really the topic for this).

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm really liking this but I want to know the requirements for rainbow stars. I've done it on two levels already.

I can give you the times I got from the levels where I got rainbow stars (not that many, though):

DK-3: 0:04.4
DKJ-4: 0:21.1
Pin-1: 0:08.9
Pin-3: 0:18.0
Pin-4: 0:03.1
Ex-2: 0:25.1
TLZ-1: 0:29.6
R1-11: 0:15.7

Edit:

TLZ-12: 0:11.0
SMB-4: 0:27.6
SMB-6: 0:09.6
SMB-9: 0:16.1
SMB-16: 0:09.9
R2-16: 0:37.4
Pin-5: 0:29.1
BF-3: 0:13.4
BF-7: 0:13.5
Ex-4: 0:19.4
Bon-3: 0:41.9
Bon-4: 0:10.9
Bon-6: 1:22.0
Bon-7: 0:24.2
Bon-9: 0:28.4
Bon-10: 0:27.7

Two things preventing me from buying this RIGHT NOW:

-the price
-NES games are hard. I still can't do the koopa/stairs 1up trick. Is Remix maddeningly hard or is it more fair and modernized? Are there difficulty settings?
-any extra features, like Miiverse in-game integration?

Interesting concept though that game selection at $15 is gonna keep me far away. I look forward to future editions now that they've gotten most of the junk games out of the way.

Mihos

Gold Member
This is wrong. I *love* the League of Evil games. I've 100% beaten the first two games. They are really, really good for what they are. But even the very best touch screen 'virtual controls' are a complete pile of arse compared to using a real gamepad, especially a Nintendo one. LoE is very playable but it's not the same thing.

I've discovered the same thing with Cave shooters recently, after being really impressed with their iPhone games the last couple of years I've gone back to the 'real thing' and found that the iPhone games are so vastly inferior, it's not even close, even though they're very very playable on a touch screen.

(Sorry, I know this isn't really the topic for this).

I am Mihos, and I endorse this comment.

Picking up this game tonight, looks fun.

Copenap

So has anyone found iut what it means when I get a rainbow outline arounf my 3 Star rating?

Also are there leaderboards? Had a Miiverse post next to one of the stages where it displayed a "63th" on the top or bottom of the post.

galvatron

Can we stop pretending that mobile always = phones without physical controls? When I say mobile I mean a game that is, well, mobile. Be it on the 3DS or an Xperia Play. And gamepads work with Android.

Yeah, I immediately thought you meant 3DS.
I'd instabuy on 3DS, but knowing its console only I'll wait a bit since I can't take it with me and I'll be away from home for the rest of the month.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
JeffGrubb's video convinced me I need this game (once I get a Wii U). If Nintendo's going to be stuck on rehashing their old stuff over and over, this is an awesome way to do it. It seems developmentally cheap, exhibits plenty of opportunity for great design, and has lots of potential for future remixes.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can anyone confirm how lengthy this game is?

It's pretty beefy, moreso than even first impressions let on. A couple hours in and I am still working through the initial 6 games available. Each of those six has between 7-25 challenges(game specific) as well as a 23-tier "remix" tower that adds all the crazy new visual effects and wonky challenges(like beating 1-1 of SMB in a silhouette filter or a level of Mario Bros while the screen expands and shrinks). Those 23 challenges are all specific to the first six games. Each challenge is timed with up to three stars earned for efficient performance(stars unlock more challenges).

The other ten advertised and included games should unlock at some point and I presume that remix tower expands to include challenges from each(alongside each game having its own set of separate tiered challenges). For instance, Zelda, Baseball, Clu Clu Land, etc... have made no appearance yet until I presumably clear most of the current challenges to unlock them.

So yea, the $15 price tag will eke out a healthy number of hours of play.

The Boat

Frankly I'm not sure anymore how to estimate perceived value for Nintendo products. Attitudes have become firmly entrenched to the effect:

"Downloadable games? 5 bucks tops and LOL! NES games should be free."

"Console games? I'm paying for the knowledge that 900 people worked for 3 years with a 100 million dollar budget to create astounding graphics and presentation. Anything less isn't worth more than $30 bucks."

Then there's firesales from Steam, Amazon end of year, etc, which lead people to see $15 as equaling a AAA GOTY package even though that was you know, $60-$80 at launch.

Mobile and Steam sales fucked up videogames' value. On one hand this is very good because it's cheaper for us and forces publishers to adopt a more fluid pricing structure. On the other hand, it devalues games with higher budgets that need a higher price and it leads to situations like these where 10 or 15 bucks becomes too much for the game.

7threst

I just downloaded it and played the first few stages. Hah, it's weird but somehow this feels like something I wanted from the Wario Ware-sequels. This shit is really really good! So addictive!

Also thank god for quick restarts, because I simply have to three-star each stage :)

Top Bottom