• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Well let's break the price down.

There are 16 NES games in this package, and (reportedly) each one has 10-25 challenges associated with it.

94 cents per game, or 4 to 10 cents per challenge.

Compare to WarioWare Smooth Moves on Wii, which had 205 microgames and initially retailed at $50. At that price each microgame cost about 25 cents.

And individual WarioWare microgames seem to be less substantial than what's offered by NES Remix. A lot of WarioWare games are 3 second bits of nothing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well thanks to the 3DS update some of the credit I got when GAME was going under has moved over to my Wii U so I may just buy this this weekend. Also been a fan of Wario Ware.

Moosehole

Things are going incredibly off topic in this thread.

I assume mostly from people who want to play this but dont have a WiiU
I have a Wii U and a 3DS. Glad that you and others are content with Nintendo continuing to stick to thier ways and slip ever further into irrelevancy.

Glass Joe

It's pretty beefy, moreso than even first impressions let on. A couple hours in and I am still working through the initial 6 games available. Each of those six has between 7-25 challenges(game specific) as well as a 23-tier "remix" tower that adds all the crazy new visual effects and wonky challenges(like beating 1-1 of SMB in a silhouette filter or a level of Mario Bros while the screen expands and shrinks). Those 23 challenges are all specific to the first six games. Each challenge is timed with up to three stars earned for efficient performance(stars unlock more challenges).

The other ten advertised and included games should unlock at some point and I presume that remix tower expands to include challenges from each(alongside each game having its own set of separate tiered challenges). For instance, Zelda, Baseball, Clu Clu Land, etc... have made no appearance yet until I presumably clear most of the current challenges to unlock them.

So yea, the $15 price tag will eke out a healthy number of hours of play.

I've played about 3 1/2 hours so far (addicting and fun!). In addition to the 25 level "Remix Tower," there's a "Remix Tower II" as well. And of course each game that unlocks has its own challenges.

Seems to be a good amount of content. I'd be happier at $10 but this is a nice surprise and I'm a sucker for the retro games I grew up with.

Robin64

Sorry if this has been asked before, but at what point am I suppesed to post to Miiverse so my level highscore is attached to the post?

I can't figure this out either. Got 18.6 on the first Super Mario Bros. one, but can't see how to make a post where it would show against that minigame for others.

NateDrake

The challenges are awesome. I hope they DLC this game hardcore and maybe add SNES titles in the future. This was a great idea and is a lot of fun.

I have a Wii U and a 3DS. Glad that you and others are content with Nintendo continuing to stick to thier ways and slip ever further into irrelevancy.

Gee, all I see is people in this thread who bought this having fun. Watch the Game Center CX video, and it's about people having fun.

I'm sorry if this fun little surprise is the death knell for Nintendo for you, but I'm looking forward to playing and re-playing this.

Moosehole

Love how some of the off topic stuff comes in the sense that Nintendo is trolling for actually making games people want.

Hardcore dork watching Nintendo Direct this morning: Zelda Dynasty Warriors? Sucks. Kirby Yoshi and Mario KART 8? Sucks. HAHAHAHA Nintendoooooooomed!!!

Wait, what this? NES Remix? I want that game, Nintendo is trolling for not putting it on the App Store...

WAAAAAAAAH MOMMY MAKE THE EVIL MAN STOP AND MAKE HIM PUT THE GAME ON MY PHONE! MAKE HIM MOMMY! MAKE HIM!!! $15 is awful. Wii U is AWFUL. Wii U is BOMBA! This game sucks! you suck! everything sucks! NINTENDOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

Good lord.

Show me where I said that I would only buy the game on the App Store. Show me where I said the game sucks or Nintendo sucks or any of the rest of that hot troll garbage you posted in your last statement.

Guess what? I own a Wii U. I also own a 3DS. I only began by saying this game would be better suited for Nintendo's entry into the mobile market. Which it would. People can use the "touch controls are garbage fuck that" defense all they want, but there are thousands of more complex games than these running on mobile with touch controls and guess what people can actually play them. Nintendo would make more money on this game being on the App Store, Google Play, etc @ $4.99 then they have made off of the Wii U in the last year.

Anyway, I'm not crying because this isn't on mobile. If I ever feel the need to play it I'll buy it on my Wii U. I was simply stating that this would be a good way for Nintendo to get thier brand out to millions of potential customers and maybe climb thier way back into relevancy.

But fuck that I can't disagree with anything Nintendo says or does apparently.

Moosehole

Gee, all I see is people in this thread who bought this having fun. Watch the Game Center CX video, and it's about people having fun.

I'm sorry if this fun little surprise is the death knell for Nintendo for you, but I'm looking forward to playing and re-playing this.
The death knell for Nintendo? Extremism at it's finest.

Moosehole

You're the one who called it a continued slide into irrelevancy. Backing away from that now?
Nintendo is doing just that. I'm not saying this game is why, I'm saying this game could have been an entry point into a whole new area of income and a huge expansion of a consumer base for them.

bumpkin

Well let's break the price down.

There are 16 NES games in this package, and (reportedly) each one has 10-25 challenges associated with it.

94 cents per game, or 4 to 10 cents per challenge.

Compare to WarioWare Smooth Moves on Wii, which had 205 microgames and initially retailed at $50. At that price each microgame cost about 25 cents.

And individual WarioWare microgames seem to be less substantial than what's offered by NES Remix. A lot of WarioWare games are 3 second bits of nothing.
Well, when you break it down like that, $14.99 is a really good deal.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This looks a whole lot more fun than I thought it would be. Already had a bunch of people around me trying to look for it on the 3DS eShop though :)

But fuck that I can't disagree with anything Nintendo says or does apparently.

You can, but when it's ridiculous people are going to call you on it.

I can't wait to go home and download this. I haven't been getting much gaming in recently since I have a 2-month old daughter who can go off at any time, but a game like this should be a lot easier to find the time to play.

Ashodin

THIS GAME IS SO HARD IM CRYING

That third Retro stage. When you realize you can't stop Mario from running you will shit brix.

Man, I can barely do some of these challenges with a d pad and buttons. Imagine trying to do this on a touchscreen only....shudder.

That third Retro stage. When you realize you can't stop Mario from running you will shit brix.

I STILL can't finish this one. Those damn three little bridges...
I played it for like five minutes at a run, then said, ok, this time I'm going to take it slow. Then he was running on his own.

It's ridiculous that Nintendo would benefit from entering the mobile market?

What is ridiculous about that? Please elaborate.

Nintendo entering the mobile market is ridiculous, yes. They've said a million times they're not interested in doing it. It's not happening. Not now, not ever.

Made it easier for me.. didn't have to worry about holding right + B anymore and just focused on timing the jumps. Those three little bridges are still tricky though!

Moosehole

Nintendo entering the mobile market is ridiculous, yes. They've said a million times they're not interested in doing it. It's not happening. Not now, not ever.
So it's a ridiculous notion that it would help their situation because they don't want to do it.

That doesn't even make sense.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Make him run against the stairs at the beginning for a little bit. Made the fish pattern quite a bit easier for me.

Dang0

Why would a game like this on touchscreens? Playing a Nes Mario game on mobile sounds like the seventh level of hell. Also, are you saying you WANT nintendo games on mobile? If you were saying you wanted it on 3ds or another console that'd be one thing, but why would anyone want to play extremely difficult nes games with virtual buttons?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Instead of just saying it would help their situation perhaps you should provide proof it would help. It's easy to say it would help but proving it is another matter. Then people will listen to what you have to say.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Totally getting this, expect a real challenge from it

Because that is merely an assumption, nothing more. It's not a guarantee.

I just feel most of the arguments about Nintendo putting games on mobile is based on the idea that there's just this hungry market waiting to spend money on Mario, but only if it was on mobile.

And if that's the case, if they want to play Mario so badly, why are they not trying the options already available to them? So why cut your consoles off at the knees for the possibility of success?

And if Nintendo should be doing it, why the hell are Sony and Microsoft not under this same pressure?

ETA: Now, if you're saying Nintendo should put a "NES Remix Teaser" app on iOS/Android, I absolutely would think that's a good idea. Give 'em a taste, let 'em know where to get the real deal. That's in line with how Nintendo should approach mobile right now. But your position appears to be full games on mobile now, and I don't see that as automatic success as you apparently do.

The only downside to the morning direct/surprise release thing Nintendo did here was waiting all day at my desk to be able to go home and play what was released.

15...more...minutes (and a horrific commute) before I can play this homage to my childhood.

Moosehole

Because that is merely an assumption, nothing more. It's not a guarantee.

I just feel most of the arguments about Nintendo putting games on mobile is based on the idea that there's just this hungry market waiting to spend money on Mario, but only if it was on mobile.

And if that's the case, if they want to play Mario so badly, are they not trying the options already available to them? So why cut your consoles off at the knees for the possibility of success?

And if Nintendo should be doing it, why the hell are Sony and Microsoft not under this same pressure?

They would not be cutting their consoles off at the knees putting NES remix or NES games on mobile. They would get millions of new customers. Some of which would probably become interested in buying a WiiU or 3DS to play the new Mario games that they just discovered.

Sony and Microsoft are not under the same pressure BECAUSE SALES.

I like my WiiU and I'm sure you do too but it is selling like total ass you can't spin that.

Please stop shitting up the thread with port begging.

This is a WiiU release. There is nothing remotely approaching any implication this is getting a release on iOS, Amazon Appstore or Google Play store.

Going on about how it 'should' be on there is just obnoxious port begging.

Top Bottom