• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Tiu Neo

Loving this game. Very addictive, even though it puts my skills as a gamer in question. I'm too spoiled by modern mechanics like wall-jumps.

Those eShop links go to the Virtual Console pages for the games

...for now :p

This being Nintendo, maybe forever.

But this could be used to demo VC games. Paid demos, since you would have to buy challenge packs with new games :p

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh ok. I had never heard it mentioned on here nor read about it anywhere so it was a complete surprise to me.

There was a rating for this, so that's where the name was known from. But that's all. And honestly, I had completely forgotten about this before they announced it.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Nintendo is releasing so much stuff on Wiiu that would make mad bank IF the system had a large install base but very little that can actually create that install base. Weird.

Loving it, this will be a fun review to write. Am I wrong or normal stages (not remixed) have a better color palette than the virtual console games?

Penguin

Well, to be fair, we did know about the title, but not what it is. But I can't remember when they last did this or if they did it at all.

We "knew" in the sense that it was leaked when rated in Australia.. not by any teases or hints Nintendo dropped.

And finally downloading this title!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Don't know why, but kind of surprised (& pleased) that "NES Remix" is #10 on Worldwide Trends on Twitter. Guess their strategy of "Hey look at this game that has all this nostalgia presented in a cool new way GUESS WHAT IT'S AVAILABLE NOW!!" paid off.

Think Nintendo could get 3rd parties on board for this? I'd love to see challenges based on NES games/franchises like Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Contra, & more.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm sure most people must be scratching their heads, wondering how can this NES Remix thing with 8bit games can get praised. I know I did when I saw the 1st trailer.

Yet it's so good, pure addictive gaming testing our skills. Out of nowhere.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm surprised this game is trending worldwide. Nintendo must be doing something right (that and Cranky Kong).

I'd get this, but... *looks at wallet* Soon I hope.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Already got over 400 stars. I think I've played enough for today. The game is an absolute joy to play. Nice surprise, Nintendo.

If anyone cares, I kept updating my post with all the rainbow stars times I managed to get. You can use to guess what times are needed.

prag16

Banned
Nintendo is releasing so much stuff on Wiiu that would make mad bank IF the system had a large install base but very little that can actually create that install base. Weird.

Yeah, interesting point. Many things that are worthwhile to existing owners, but don't help a huge amount in recruiting NEW owners.

I imagine February will be the direct that they try to make a bit more of a splash, along with E3. All that seems so far away. Getting SM3DW finally next week at least, so that'll keep me occupied for a little while.

Kouriozan

Long. I've been playing for over 7 hours and still haven't unlocked everything. Definitely worth the $15 if you like retro games.
That's pretty good.
And seeing other people's scores makes this replayable too, if you like more challenge.
I want to see some super play!

Glass Joe

so the game is broken then? is this a spoiler?

Not broken -- It's intentional. Link can't jump in the NES Zelda, so it's kind of like the parts of the dungeon where you go down stairs to get an item and the view changes. And I suppose letting him use his sword would remove any hint of challenge. And it probably isn't a spoiler, just being overly cautious because I think I've had the chance to get a lot further along than others.

Penguin

I... have an addiction to rainbow stars.. must find way to cut time

Think have half of Donkey Kong as Rainbow stars so far.

Two minor complaints...
1)I wish the stamps were connected to the games you're playing. Awesome, but went through Donkey Kong first and unlock SMB stamps. Balloon Fight now and still collecting Mario stamps.

2)There's no way to see your friends high-score alone is there?

Jezan

I thought this was going to be like "Complete Mario Bros. with Samus or Link (Z2 Link)"

I'm sorry I think I have no soul. People with souls, enjoy this for me :(

Alex

This is pretty great, and a much needed good use of these old properties. Well worth the 15. I've been kind of...eh on Nintendo's eShop releases outside of Pushmo and Crashmo, so it's nice to have another genuinely enjoyable one, for me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Been playing this ALL DAY at work. This game is so good.

I'm officially buying a Wii U for NES Remix.

Robin64

This software will teach young'ns how to play NES games like we did back in the day. None of this fancy modern gaming, just pure gameplay!

This game is actually teaching me a lot about the mechanics about these older games, some of which I never bothered to learn (and a couple of the games I've never played). Addictive as hell, too. What a surprise. eShop killer app?

Not broken -- It's intentional. Link can't jump in the NES Zelda, so it's kind of like the parts of the dungeon where you go down stairs to get an item and the view changes. And I suppose letting him use his sword would remove any hint of challenge. And it probably isn't a spoiler, just being overly cautious because I think I've had the chance to get a lot further along than others.

It's intentional, but that doesn't mean it isn't broken. That stage is basically a series of coin flips deciding whether the barrel comes down the ladder you are on.

Top Bottom