• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netanyahu wanted to attack Iran but was overruled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...d8dec2e4b04ae4970375d9?kvcommref=mostpopular

srael's political leaders pushed to attack Iran at least three times in the past few years but had to back down on the advice of the military and due to concerns about its ally the United States, former defense minister Ehud Barak said.

In 2010, the Israeli leadership wanted an attack but the military said it did not have "operational capability," said Barak, defense minister between 2007 and 2013, and prime minister in 1999-2001.

"You're asking and demanding America to respect your sovereignty when making a decision to do it even if America objects and it's against her interests, you can't go in the opposite direction and force America in when they're here on a drill that was known ahead of time," Barak said.

Dambrosi

Banned
First post.

WTF, these guys are as insane as their opponents say they are. I never thought I'd say this, but "Thank God for the Israeli Army".

funkypie

Banned
their politicians are nothing but racist war mongers. The israeli military and intelligence service time and time again have said iran isn't capable of nukes, yet their politicians say the opposite.

Dabanton

Not surprised. From other stories you get the idea that the military and Mossad continuously thwart the politicians thirst for all out war.

Linus

Neo Member
So basically if there had been a Republican US government this would've been much closer to being a reality.

Serious question. How would this lead to war? Wouldn't it just lead to the same situation as when Israel bombed Iraq's reactor? Iran's airforce would have to cross Iraqi and Syrian airspace. Iran could shoot missiles I guess but half of them would end up landing on Jordan or the West Bank.

lazygecko

their politicians are nothing but racist war mongers. The israeli military and intelligence service time and time again have said iran isn't capable of nukes, yet their politicians say the opposite.

That sounds like a pretty typical relationship between politicians and military and/or intelligence services. US polticians loved playing up the threat of Russia to absurd degrees compared to what the CIA knew.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Serious question. How would this lead to war? Wouldn't it just lead to the same situation as when Israel bombed Iraq's reactor? Iran's airforce would have to cross Iraqi and Syrian airspace. Iran could shoot missiles I guess but half of them would end up landing on Jordan or the West Bank.

Iraq would almost definitely let Iranian aircraft cross their airspace. Syria wouldn't but the extent to which the Syrian state can actually stop them is limited. Regardless I broadly agree there would probably be no proper war and at best just air skirmishes because Iran doesn't have the military capability to engage with Israel, but in the long term the consequences for the region would be devastating - you can bet your bottom dollar that Iran would develop nuclear weapons come hell or high water if Israel engaged in bombing runs, and there's no feasible way for Israel to stop them in perpetuity. You'd also see increased funding for the extremist factions in the Palestinian freedom movement, probably marking resurgent violence in the Palestinian territories and risking another intifada.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Iraq would almost definitely let Iranian aircraft cross their airspace. Syria wouldn't but the extent to which the Syrian state can actually stop them is limited. Regardless I broadly agree there would probably be no proper war and at best just air skirmishes because Iran doesn't have the military capability to engage with Israel, but in the long term the consequences for the region would be devastating - you can bet your bottom dollar that Iran would develop nuclear weapons come hell or high water if Israel engaged in bombing runs, and there's no feasible way for Israel to stop them in perpetuity. You'd also see increased funding for the extremist factions in the Palestinian freedom movement, probably marking resurgent violence in the Palestinian territories and risking another intifada.

Why wouldn't Syria let them? They're buddies.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why wouldn't Syria let them? They're buddies.

Well, it depends how secure they feel by that point in time. Assad is not in a particularly good position right now, and his forces and key administrators become increasingly more Sunni as the war goes on as key Alawites get killed and need replacing. I don't think he wants to alienate the factions that are increasingly becoming his new power-base - the wealthy Sunni business dynasties which are weakly religious, but only up to a point. I think it's conceivable he could, but he'd want Iran to offer some kind of compensation in return or he's damaging his own base for no real return.

Assuming Iraq let them cross and they made it across Syria, Israeli planes would be waiting for them and shoot them out of the sky. Israel has some of the best trained pilots in the world.

It would piss a lot of people off but I don't think any war would happen with Iran.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming Iraq let them cross and they made it across Syria, Israeli planes would be waiting for them and shoot them out of the sky. Israel has some of the best trained pilots in the world.

It would piss a lot of people off but I don't think any war would happen with Iran.

Yes, I agree. You'd get brief air skirmishes Iran would mostly lose. The worry is not the war but the consequences on the development of Iranian politics.

Why do they want to go to war so badly?

It's often overlooked, but Iran is supposedly has pretty big economy. If it's allowed to get back on its feet and develop, it could become a pretty big powerhouse in the world market and once that happens, attacking or invading them won't be nearly as easy as it is right now while they are still under sanctions.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Israel's army strategists sound smarter than their corrupt, criminal, fascist politicians.

It baffles me that people hold up this regime as a beacon of democracy or decency for the region. They're as bad as everyone else around them.

danwarb

Yes, I agree. You'd get brief air skirmishes Iran would mostly lose. The worry is not the war but the consequences on the development of Iranian politics.
It's weird that these days we don't even think about the horrendous suffering caused by bombing campaigns and wars that would drive anyone to extremism and violence.

diamount

Banned
It's often overlooked, but Iran is supposedly has pretty big economy. If it's allowed to get back on its feet and develop, it could become a pretty big powerhouse in the world market and once that happens, attacking or invading them won't be nearly as easy as it is right now while they are still under sanctions.

What possible exports is unique to Iran that cannot be gained elsewhere?

well, i'm glad the Israeli army is less hawkish than many of their mainstream policians. it really says something about a country though.

diamount

Banned
well, i'm glad the Israeli army is less hawkish than many of their mainstream policians. it really says something about a country though.

less being hawkish and more having common sense, Israel (as pointed out by its generals) do not have the capacity of waging war with Iran on its own.

dabig2

less being hawkish and more having common sense, Israel (as pointed out by its generals) do not have the capacity of waging war with Iran on its own.

Yeah, it's definitely not for altruism. Such a concept doesn't exist in geopolitics. Dudes just knew it would be costly, terrorist attacks will rise in the region and inside Israel itself, and the US would be pissed for being blindsided and inevitably dragged again into Israel's shit.

Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map or Israel wants to wipe Iran off the map. One of these appears to be quite close to reality and the other seems to b entirely fictitious to drum up nationalist support. Hmm. HMM.

dabig2

Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map or Israel wants to wipe Iran off the map. One of these appears to be quite close to reality and the other seems to b entirely fictitious to drum up nationalist support. Hmm. HMM.

When's the last time Iran has even started a war for conquest and glory? Colonial era?

kmag

Isnt there a logistical limit to Israel's ability to attack Iran. They'd be at the limit of their refuelling capability given they'd have to suppress the Iran SAM network as well so they'd need almost all their strike aircraft.

Isnt there a logistical limit to Israel's ability to attack Iran. They'd be at the limit of their refuelling capability given they'd have to suppress the Iran SAM network as well so they'd need almost all their strike aircraft.

I imagine they were mostly banking on the US helping out. I'm glad though that they lack the confidence that that will occur. I'm also hopeful for better relationships between Iran and the US in the future. I think it will help eventually lead to better Israel-Iran relationship if we continue to build relationships that aren't purely military ones. But perhaps I'm being too optimistic, I'll admit I'm mostly ignorant to just how strong the animosity may be from one to another.

Israel doesn't want to wipe Iran off the map. They wanted to bomb Iran's reactor.

When's the last time Iran has even started a war for conquest and glory? Colonial era?

Iran has inarguably been under the thumb of America and Britain far more than most other countries in that region, and when Iran refuses to play ball we end up with far worse nations -namely saudi arabia and israel- running wild as the US and UK throw a hissy fit they don;t have one more country they can control.

I don't think there has been a nation in recent memory that has been so tranparently punished for not accepting a US led coup.

dabig2

I imagine they were mostly banking on the US helping out. I'm glad though that they lack the confidence that that will occur. I'm also hopeful for better relationships between Iran and the US in the future. I think it will help eventually lead to better Israel-Iran relationship if we continue to build relationships that aren't purely military ones. But perhaps I'm being too optimistic, I'll admit I'm mostly ignorance to just how strong the animosity may be from one to another.

It's optimistic, but not impossible. Honestly, and I think this is true everywhere in the world mostly, it's up to the younger generations in those respective countries to try to break out of the endless loop of threaten-kill-threaten-kill-etc. When agitators like Bibi and Khamenei are out of power and the Republicans are kept out of executive power, then things will heal gradually.

Manoko

Woah careful there.

You might be called anti-semite for stating the truth !

Woah careful there.

You might be called anti-semite for stating the truth !

Except it's not the truth. It was politicians in the Netanyahu government who vetoed any attack.

In 2011, the IDF had the military capability to attack Iran, but then-Strategic Affairs Minister Moshe Ya’alon and then-Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz objected to the plan when it was presented to the forum of eight senior cabinet members, Barak claimed. Barak said that in 2012, another planned attack was not carried out due to an American military operation in the region.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.672335

danwarb

Israel doesn't want to wipe Iran off the map. They wanted to bomb Iran's reactor.
Iran likely doesn't want a nuclear weapon and only started enriching uranium to that end after the sanctions were imposed. Nuclear power will give them power and stability long term, like the UAE and SA, only Iran are friendlier with the ememies of Israel. I don't think Israel want that for Iran.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Why aren't these motherfuckers rooted out of their government? Do people not see that these fucks will end up causing a catastrophe?

I swear, people need to rise up against their government when their people up top seem to be hell bent on war.

Oersted

Don't criticize them or you're an anti-semite, even if you're Jewish according to US GOP.

You can be antisemitic as a jew, obviously.

Why aren't these motherfuckers rooted out of their government? Do people not see that these fucks will end up causing a catastrophe?

I swear, people need to rise up against their government when their people up top seem to be hell bent on war.

Left voters giving up, fear mongering having an effect, right wingers being reliable voters... something like that I would guess.

Same reason the republicans havent been rooted out in America. They are good at manipulating people.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird that these days we don't even think about the horrendous suffering caused by bombing campaigns and wars that would drive anyone to extremism and violence.

Obviously that's bad, but I'm plausibly sure that complete and total destabilization of the Middle East would lead to more long-term deaths than the actual bombing campaigns themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom