• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

Tukker

This game seems to be playable with a gamepad. I'm currently trying to set it up via xpadder and it seems to work decently. My only issue so far is that I keep dodging when I just want to walk. Game seems quite funny so far, started with it today :)

Ricker

SSAO is awesome in this bro

everyone should be turning on those options.

I didnt see SSAO but then again my game was in french,maybe its something else in English...I did bump it to DX11 though but on my 560 Ti,it kinda kills the refresh or fps a lot...I liked the DX9 look better so far but I will mess with the other sliders to see...

Did the guild ever get formed?

We tried a few minutes ago,we actually had a group of 5 online but we have to all be in Neverwinter and one wasn't...

EDIT: damn,level 15 also..? lol I was just level 6...oh well at least we got to do push-ups and air guitars... ;)

CzarTim

Did the guild ever get formed?

Guild system is a cluster fuck. Have to have five people on at once (easier said than done), everybody has to come to the Protector's Enclave (a pain and it's basically just sitting around waiting for people to show up), and then it turns out everyone has to be level 15+ which is not listed under the requirements until after you manage to get everyone together and try to submit the guild. blah

Reclaimer

Rock Paper Shotgun put out a decent preview.

RPS said:
There’s no question that it’s very good – it’s a superbly made MMO, predictable ongoing server teething problems on launch aside (I’ll get to those at the end). It’s enormous, jam-packed with so very much to do, extremely approachable, but elaborately complicated if you want it to be. I suppose its biggest crime is to be traditional in its structure, and it turns out that was exactly what I was looking for.

Worth checking out the article, he points out how some of the traditional MMO stuff can be irritating.

RPS said:
But none are enough to put me off wanting to play the entire time. I’ll be level 30 soon! Something might happen at that point! And if it doesn’t, something might at 35! Indeed, I’m hooked in the mouth and through the cheek – but critically, apart from a nosey peak at what those epic chests might contain, I’ve not felt any inclination nor expectation to spend a dime.

He also mentions the servers getting hit pretty hard right now in Open Beta. (As I've heard here too)

CzarTim

So, is it just me or is Great Weapon Fighter incredibly weak damage wise? I'm lvl 20 and I just don't any damage at all compared to my friends who are playing Trickster and Control Wizard. If I go 1 on 1 against pretty much any class, I always lose. And I lose big. My At-will skills is like poking them with a stick. Only attack worth using is the knockdown, the rest is just super weak.

Isn't my class supposed to be a damn damage dealer?

Weakest class right now. I hear it gets better after 30 though.

xenist

The guild is gonna happen eventually. But as I said don't expect me to be able to put any more than an hour here and there until Monday. My home is a madhouse right now.

So, is it just me or is Great Weapon Fighter incredibly weak damage wise? I'm lvl 20 and I just don't any damage at all compared to my friends who are playing Trickster and Control Wizard. If I go 1 on 1 against pretty much any class, I always lose. And I lose big. My At-will skills is like poking them with a stick. Only attack worth using is the knockdown, the rest is just super weak.

You're not the first person to say so. I think the problem is GWF suffers from a lack of identity: it's classed as a Defender (as per D&D 4E rules) yet it doesn't have the defense capabilities of a GF. Its secondary is Controller (AoE/debuffs) but Control Wizard does that better AND out-damages them based on what I've seen.

Honestly if they're that concerned about staying "true" to the class's description, I'd scrap it and replace it with Barbarian, which is a Striker. That way everyone who wanted a DPS class with big, hard-hitting two-handed weapons would be happy. And I'd have an excuse to make myself a Rashemi berserker and tell my honey badger to GO FOR THE EEEEYES. But that's just a bonus.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Honestly if they're that concerned about staying "true" to the class's description, I'd scrap it and replace it with Barbarian, which is a Striker.

Yeah, I really don't know why they didn't do this in the first place.

CzarTim

You're not the first person to say so. I think the problem is GWF suffers from a lack of identity: it's classed as a Defender (as per D&D 4E rules) yet it doesn't have the defense capabilities of a GF. Its secondary is Controller (AoE/debuffs) but Control Wizard does that better AND out-damages them based on what I've seen.

Honestly if they're that concerned about staying "true" to the class's description, I'd scrap it and replace it with Barbarian, which is a Striker. That way everyone who wanted a DPS class with big, hard-hitting two-handed weapons would be happy. And I'd have an excuse to make myself a Rashemi berserker and tell my honey badger to GO FOR THE EEEEYES. But that's just a bonus.

I kind of thought GWF was supposed to have strong AOE to handle weaker groups easily while the Rogue was more single-target damage. I only played in for a couple of hours during the closed beta though.

Either way, it's clearly not doing the numbers it should.

I kind of thought GWF was supposed to have strong AOE to handle weaker groups easily while the Rogue was more single-target damage. I only played in for a couple of hours during the closed beta though.

Either way, it's clearly not doing the numbers it should.

That's how it was presented in many of the videos, and you're right. I can't speak for endgame, but 1-25 GWF's AoE damage just seems so lackluster compared to that of Control Wizards.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Played a cleric up to the rat dungeon thingie yesterday with a friend (2h warrior thingie), not really digging the class so far, feels kinda slow and boring during combat. Rolled a thief (?) earlier today up to the same point, but while the attacks are a bit more fun, it feels a lot like just mashing buttons randomly at most times :)

Will both, the Cleric and the fighting, get more interesting in later levels?

Dec

This game seems to be playable with a gamepad. I'm currently trying to set it up via xpadder and it seems to work decently. My only issue so far is that I keep dodging when I just want to walk. Game seems quite funny so far, started with it today :)

Just incase you didn't figure this out already, disable the double tap to use utility skill in the settings.

Played a cleric up to the rat dungeon thingie yesterday with a friend (2h warrior thingie), not really digging the class so far, feels kinda slow and boring during combat. Rolled a thief (?) earlier today up to the same point, but while the attacks are a bit more fun, it feels a lot like just mashing buttons randomly at most times :)

Will both, the Cleric and the fighting, get more interesting in later levels?

For sure, when you have more options to change how the class plays it makes it more interesting. The game has a lot of skills, it just limits you to a small set at any one time. The idea is that you look at what content you're doing, and choose your skills depending on what will be most useful for it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just incase you didn't figure this out already, disable the double tap to use utility skill in the settings.

For sure, when you have more options to change how the class plays it makes it more interesting. The game has a lot of skills, it just limits you to a small set at any one time. The idea is that you look at what content you're doing, and choose your skills depending on what will be most useful for it.

Aight, I'll stick with the cleric for a bit then :) Oh, do these sparkly "go here now" pathways vanish in later levels? A lot of times I just feel like the game thinks I'm a complete idiot, while a personal off switch would strike me as a disadvantage to all other players. I know that's kind of a dumb complaint, but still..

Is this the closest MMO to WoW? I want something thats like WoW and awesome but not WoW
The game is heavily instanced and the combat is different from WoW as it's twitch based. It does have questing in it which is like WoW. I guess it depends on what you're looking for from it.

Rolled a cleric but when I get to the point of running instances targeting people for actual direct heals is going to be a pain. I've also read that they draw aggro easily so should be fun :p

CzarTim

Rolled a cleric but when I get to the point of running instances targeting people for actual direct heals is going to be a pain. I've also read that they draw aggro easily so should be fun :p

Try turning on health bars for party members in the HUD options.

Raide

Put a good few hours into this. Trickster is pretty good, everything else seems pretty poor. Combat is interesting but so lag dependent. As it stands, it is nearly impossible to accurately dodge and attack without taking some amount of damage. Even for the ranged classes its really hard.

Will keep playing, since it seems good so far but hardly anything new. At least it plays better than the Elderscrolls game looks. :D

Nibiru

Banned
Is this the closest MMO to WoW? I want something thats like WoW and awesome but not WoW

It's more like Guild Wars 2 than WoW. Classes are a big problem imo. The Control Wizard is great and really fun to play, Trickster is pretty good but the rest of the classes are pretty bad imo.

SUPARSTARX

As a fellow cleric, I suggest turning on party member bars and learn using ctrl to lock down specific targets for healing when you need to. Otherwise the heals are very much just aoe and some smart targeted heals.

Brokun

Aight, I'll stick with the cleric for a bit then :) Oh, do these sparkly "go here now" pathways vanish in later levels? A lot of times I just feel like the game thinks I'm a complete idiot, while a personal off switch would strike me as a disadvantage to all other players. I know that's kind of a dumb complaint, but still..

You can turn off the quest trail with Z.

Macmanus

Level 9 cleric and I'm actually really liking this game. I like the action healing mechanics of the class, but admittedly my experience is very minimal.

The entire feel of the game is pretty solid all around. Can't wait to hit 15 and join a guild so I can solo less.

Dec

Also, not sure if most of you guys know but a while back people data mined the game and found references to an Archer and Sorcerer type class.

Could be they were in a some point and removed or could be upcoming classes.

These are what classes were referenced in Beta weekend 1:

Defs/Classes/Player_Archer.Charpath
Defs/Classes/Player_Controller.Charpath
Defs/Classes/Player_Devoted.Charpath
Defs/Classes/Player_Greatweapon.Charpath
Defs/Classes/Player_Guardian.Charpath
Defs/Classes/Player_Scourge.Charpath
Defs/Classes/Player_Trickster.Charpath

Devoted = Cleric
Scourge = Sorcerer

There is even character creation art

2lD8f0J.png
BCoKf8t.png

iiGRa2cdtKitg.jpg

Also, not sure if most of you guys know but a while back people data mined the game and found references to an Archer and Sorcerer type class.

Could be they were in a some point and removed or could be upcoming classes.

Datamining found a Dragonborn race, too.

I hope they add Eladrin and Gnome before them, though. Moon/Sun Elves and Gnomes are classic Realms races. :/

B-Dex

How is respec pay to win? Sure it may be scummy, but it's not making anyone "win" over others

Apparently anything with a cash shop is p2w. I just ignore people now. The game was made to make money. People are just bitter they can't get 100% of the content for free.

CzarTim

Devoted = Cleric
Scourge = Sorcerer

There is even character creation art
Nice, nice. Would love to play a sorc. Ranger should be interesting. I wonder if it will be pet based since people already have companions.

Snowdrift

I'm really enjoying having a dedicated healing class. Removing the holy trinity in GW2 seemed like a great idea initially, but it sliced a layer of strategy out of the game that I didn't appreciate until it was gone.

They do meh damage on single targets, but where the great weapon fighter does it's damage is that his hits often will be hitting multiple targets unlike the other classes which often only hit a single target. They essentially do more general spread out dps, while they do suffer against any type of one on one fight.

Thats not true at all, Tera does pay shop very well.

Has nothing to do with calling things p2w when they clearly aren't

smr00

Banned
Apparently anything with a cash shop is p2w. I just ignore people now. The game was made to make money. People are just bitter they can't get 100% of the content for free.
You can get 100% of the content for free in Neverwinter.

All Zen shop stuff can be bought either on the AH or you can buy zen with diamonds which can be farmed. You don't have to spend 1 penny to do and have everything. My biggest complaint is the pricing. $10 for a bag is borderline insane. They should implement account-wide inventory/stash space upgrade like SWTOR does. They could do a better job at the pricing but there is no "pay wall" you can fully experience the game without spending any money and there is no pay 2 win items, you can't even buy real XP boost like most F2P games. You can get a 4000xp overall XP boost but that becomes worthless.

Dec

Got my Nightmare Mount earlier today.

I still don't like that it announces whenever someone gets one. It's borderline spam at times.

How much did you end up paying for it in the end?

I think I'd rather buy a mount out-right. Can't find a picture but the plague hound thing looks really cool, saw it in one of the betas.

smr00

Banned
How much did you end up paying for it in the end?

I think I'd rather buy a mount out-right. Can't find a picture but the plague hound thing looks really cool, saw it in one of the betas.
A disgusting amount. Like 30-40 keys.

But, i didn't spend a penny (zen) on the keys. Used the AH. I know you can buy the Mount with those bars, right? Not 100% sure how you even come about getting these bars other then finding them from the nightmare boxes. I got like 1000+ from the boxes. Also i was able to auction off a lot of stuff from the nightmare boxes to recoup like 30% of the diamonds spent, not a lot but whatever it is what it is :)

B-Dex

You can get 100% of the content for free in Neverwinter.

All Zen shop stuff can be bought either on the AH or you can buy zen with diamonds which can be farmed. You don't have to spend 1 penny to do and have everything. My biggest complaint is the pricing. $10 for a bag is borderline insane. They should implement account-wide inventory/stash space upgrade like SWTOR does. They could do a better job at the pricing but there is no "pay wall" you can fully experience the game without spending any money and there is no pay 2 win items, you can't even buy real XP boost like most F2P games. You can get a 4000xp overall XP boost but that becomes worthless.

Yes I know but people are butthurt you have to buy respecs or higher tier mounts etc... All convenience items really. I have no problem with the cash shop. Prices are a bit high though.

Yes I know but people are butthurt you have to buy respecs or higher tier mounts etc... All convenience items really. I have no problem with the cash shop. Prices are a bit high though.

PW/Cryptic games have all be like this. They give you most of the game for free with convenience unlocks mostly, but they always are awful with their pricing schemes.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone playing this on a crap computer? My bottleneck is my 2.0 GHz dual core which is practically ancient at this point. I'm up to the recommended specs on everything else though.

Top Bottom