• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

SUPARSTARX

The pay stuff isn't that bad. I got two bags free from questions so far. Every thing else is eventually freely purchasable in due time as long as astral diamond to zen trade evens out better in the next month.

Ashodin

I made a gif of the Avalanche of Blades attack on my Half-Elf GWF.

ibvjz1jsUJCmIv.gif

Deciding on switching to this or Ragnarok 2 from Tera since the Tera thread told me theres no solo end game. Installing now, this game looks great. Cleric or Mage that is the question?!

Midou

Deciding on switching to this or Ragnarok 2 from Tera since the Tera thread told me theres no solo end game. Installing now, this game looks great. Cleric or Mage that is the question?!

The answer is never RO2, not even for nostalgia.

This game is pretty neat, though I specifically like the instances cause I tend to play MMOs with friends, and don't like the chaos of overly busy fields, so perhaps it depends

Chronoja

I haven't played that much of it yet but I'm torn. The fighting system aside I just get massive vibes of "been here, done it" from everything. Killing monsters, getting mounts. And the combat, as interesting as it is, it's not revolutionary. When I imagined DnD as an MMO I expected ....something more, like less focus on combat and more focus on exploring strange and unique places. Like dungeon exploration when you aren't killing things seems to amount to "oh there's these sparkly things that only one class can use unless you buy a kit" and sometimes the odd hidden treasure chest / mini boss.

I started playing Defiance a little over a week ago because the show is...a tad interesting and I wanted to see how the game managed to tie into it all. I'll admit that Defiance is a game with severe problems, but problems aside, I find myself more interested in it's game world simply because it at least tries to be different. Third person shooting, vehicles, a wide variety of weapon types.....even if it's just a different coat of paint it's different enough to stand out more to me than Neverwinter.

I'm not saying Neverwinter is a bad game. I'm just saying I had expectations and they were...off the mark. The foundry sounds like a neat concept but is it really going to be enough?

It does get better after the first 10 levels or so. It still not good though. I highly suggest getting grouped with people you know because without it the game is just a spam fest. People trying to get their combos off not caring if it messes up the other people in the group.

Also, it seems most of the big area bosses can't be controlled which makes the control wizard somewhat less powerful.

Some of the stuff isn't thought out well like the bounty system.

They also fixed the lag for the most part

Qvoth

oh they fixed the lag? great, yesterday when i finally managed to try out the game i had 300-350 ping
add me guys @qvoth0
or maybe @qvoth87
should be @qvoth0 though

Dec

oh they fixed the lag? great, yesterday when i finally managed to try out the game i had 300-350 ping
add me guys @qvoth0
or maybe @qvoth87
should be @qvoth0 though

Yep and no queue. Been playing as much as I can and haven't noticed any substantial lag today.

Dunlop

Yeah, I'm getting terrible lag as well. And random disconnects.

I played a bit last night and this morning, no issues whatsoever.

It's funny, I don't find that this game excels at anything in particular but am having fun playing it.

My cleric is only level 9 atm though, is this game like KOTOR where you have to use the exact same weapon type for ever?

Ricker

Game is fun...I will add my Cryptic name on the list, but my in game name is Alain Milltall,level 5 Halfling Rogue Trickster...the hair color bugged out on me in character creation so I have black hair with redish Elvis Presley sideburns :p

Effect

Been able to play for a few hours and I'm glad I didn't have to put any money down for the game. Something about it just seems off but I can't put my finger on it. It should be nice for an afternoon play from time to time. I certainly don't see myself buying anything from the online store though.

That's my issue with so many of these free to play games. If I do end up liking one I feel bad playing the game without actually paying anything in return for it. However there is never anything in the stores that I feel is worth a purchase. At least with games like The Secret World and Tera Online that have gone free to play my mind is at ease since I originally paid for the game. I'm okay with paying for expansions as well. However things like potions, more bag space, mounts, etc are just instant turn offs for the most part.

Bad Salad

Neo Member
This game is pretty neat actually. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but they have some pretty cool and simple ideas, and the UI is great. I really enjoy the combat as well, and the area design. I have a level 16 elven control wizard on the mindflayer shard.

Ricker

This game is pretty neat actually. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but they have some pretty cool and simple ideas, and the UI is great. I really enjoy the combat as well, and the area design. I have a level 16 elven control wizard on the mindflayer shard.

Yeah,the big town hub(Neverwinter I presume,only level 5,didnt read on the Lore yet hehe)looks pretty awesome,your character animations and look isn't as good though but it gets the job done...I didn't spend anything on this game yet,wanted to get the 15 dollar pack but I think that's gone now...

Effect

I got really bored playing yesterday and uninstalled the game. I guess it was fun while it lasted. Back to Dota 2.

I can certainly see myself uninstalling it sooner rather then later. I've been wanting to jump into PvP but haven't been able to just yet.

Bad Salad

Neo Member
Yeah,the big town hub(Neverwinter I presume,only level 5,didnt read on the Lore yet hehe)looks pretty awesome,your character animations and look isn't as good though but it gets the job done...I didn't spend anything on this game yet,wanted to get the 15 dollar pack but I think that's gone now...

Yeah, the big hub in be beginning is Neverwinter. This is not the most fun game I have played, but it passes the time when I'm bored. I really wanted to see the zones like Helm's Hold and such cause I used to play Baldur's Gate 2 a lot back in the day.

There are some other zones I want to see as well, out of curiosity for how they made it, and that I love the forgotten realms setting.

Qvoth

is the item very expensive in terms of the in game currency?

edit: server's back up!
hmm launcher says it's up but once in game it says server still unavailable
should be able to in a few more minutes

Blitzzz

Tried for a bit last night... it's better than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting voices for every single quest. Throwing an easy "raid boss" type monster and getting you into a major city all before level 5 certainly helps.

It's more fun than Tera which was the last f2p mmo I tried

Game is fun...I will add my Cryptic name on the list, but my in game name is Alain Milltall,level 5 Halfling Rogue Trickster...the hair color bugged out on me in character creation so I have black hair with redish Elvis Presley sideburns :p

Sideburn color is a separate setting under facial hair.

So does playing this feel a lot like Guild Wars 2 combat? Or does it have controller support?

Combat is very much like DCUO. It's sorta real time but not to the extent that Terra is. Most abilities have a form of auto targetting involved as well.

Wife and I should be on later tonight if you still need help forming a guild.

As a casual experience I'm really enjoying the game. I just don't have the time to commit to mmos like before, so it's nice being able to hop on, run a few instances, feel like I accomplished something, then hop off. The crafting felt kind of lame early on, but it's grown on me since again I can only check on it a few times a day, fits with my play time.

ZenVolta

Character posting time!

Nothing super special but I thought it would be cool to see everyones characters.

Edit: Also is it just me or have they removed the Great weapons fighters ability to hit more than one target with normal attacks? Im pretty sure I could in the Beta. I hope this is an oversight seeing as the GWF has a class skill for attacking 3 or more enemys at once but can only use it with skills.

Edit 2: Id be down for helping form the guild. PM me time or message me in game.

Ploid 3.0

Yup. It's the only way which is dumb as shit.

Crap I was dishing out points because I saw a stream where someone mentioned how easy it was to respec. I'm 21 so maybe it won't hurt me so bad in the end, but I got some pretty bad abilities because I wanted to see how effective everything was. I even skipped some good ones because I didn't need them at the time (Guardian, skipped some threat abilities since I'm playing solo).

CzarTim

Crap I was dishing out points because I saw a stream where someone mentioned how easy it was to respec. I'm 21 so maybe it won't hurt me so bad in the end, but I got some pretty bad abilities because I wanted to see how effective everything was. I even skipped some good ones because I didn't need them at the time (Guardian, skipped some threat abilities since I'm playing solo).

You should be fine. I think it's like $6 to respec if it really comes to that.

Top Bottom