• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

CzarTim

iwdG15EPZoBca.gif

this game....

Anton668

reminder: we have a raidcall VOIP group. group ID#1180544
d/l raidcall at raidcall.com

and.... my game just crashed in middle of orc skirm......

xenist

Early (level 15 Guardian) impressions:

The graphics are merely passable but they're pleasant. The network performance seems miraculously improved since the launch.

Tanking solo so far seems as "boring" as I expected. Mind your position, keep your shield up, spam your at-wills and follow your rotation. I'll try some tanking in a group tomorrow. See how aggro is handled.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, this are my thoughts so far. Coming from first Lotro, then GW2:

- Being in Gafguild is fun, wish that would be possible for GW2
- This game is FAR more fun than I expected it to be. I thought it would be a very, very crappy and boring typical Cryptic PoS, but it's actually really fun and the later character development seems pretty complex.
- Fighting is no GW2, but way more exciting than stupid WoW/Lotro/Run of the mill MMO fighting
- PvP is bad. Really bad.
- I didn't miss the trinity one bit, but I don't mind it either so far.
- Graphics are okay, some sceneries are pretty n all.
- No fun extras. No housing, no beautiful armor or civil clothing. No nothing so far.
- Armors look all exactly the same, except for one or two new lines on the standard outfit. VERY boring and everyone looks like clones.
- Not very D&D-ish, alltogether DDO was way more true to the PnP.
- Also, the dungeons with their DM were way more suspenseful which also might be accredited to the..
- stupid "go here to next target" glittery line. Obviously the game thinks its players are VERY dumb and its levels are VERY badly designed. (Which they aren't, but the quest descriptions are boring and unimaginative as fuck, so I'm somewhat thankful I don't have to read them)
- Oh did I say you run around with the same weapon/armor the whole freaking time? Booring.
- Skills are fun so far. But how they incorporated daily and encounter powers is weak as fuck, basically just a few more seconds of cooldown. This was the chance to make the game feel more like D&D and Cryptic completely blew that one.
- Although I bitch a lot in this post: This game is actually still fun. It's maybe one of the very few F2P games that get it right. You have content to play, you don't have to repeat stuff, you don't have to grind (so far), you have a nice variety on levels and enemies, you can go solo or group, the game scales just fine so far, and overall it's honestly way more interesting and fun than it should be, if you go by what the game is on paper. I still like GW2 way more, but since that one is boring as hell right now, this is a very welcome alternative.
- Will definitively play more. Try it out, guys :)

I might or might not post new updates of this along the way.

Macmanus

I need to get my name corrected on the character list. It's @mikemacmanus. Should I just resubmit.

I'm at 17 cleric. Honestly I'm really loving the mechanics of this character. My favorite healer I've played in an MMO. Lets get this GAF guild going!

Somnia

I need to get my name corrected on the character list. It's @mikemacmanus. Should I just resubmit.

I'm at 17 cleric. Honestly I'm really loving the mechanics of this character. My favorite healer I've played in an MMO. Lets get this GAF guild going!

It is going! =)

Raide

Working my way through all the classes to about 10+. Going to try the healer class now, since that is what I always roll lol.

I got a Rouge to level 5 and I kill things so fast. Cleric feels slow now :p

Yeah, I've been playing the Rogue and it is hard to go back to the Cleric now that I can take everything down so quickly. I'm even getting the most damage at the end of group quests.

Good to see the Guild is up and going now.

Raide

Wow, cannot PM until 15. Yikes.

Raide_UK is my character name. Invite to GAF guild on Mindflayer please!

Dec

Alright, this are my thoughts so far. Coming from first Lotro, then GW2:

- Being in Gafguild is fun, wish that would be possible for GW2
- This game is FAR more fun than I expected it to be. I thought it would be a very, very crappy and boring typical Cryptic PoS, but it's actually really fun and the later character development seems pretty complex.
- Fighting is no GW2, but way more exciting than stupid WoW/Lotro/Run of the mill MMO fighting
- PvP is bad. Really bad.
- I didn't miss the trinity one bit, but I don't mind it either so far.
- Graphics are okay, some sceneries are pretty n all.
- No fun extras. No housing, no beautiful armor or civil clothing. No nothing so far.
- Armors look all exactly the same, except for one or two new lines on the standard outfit. VERY boring and everyone looks like clones.
- Not very D&D-ish, alltogether DDO was way more true to the PnP.
- Also, the dungeons with their DM were way more suspenseful which also might be accredited to the..
- stupid "go here to next target" glittery line. Obviously the game thinks its players are VERY dumb and its levels are VERY badly designed. (Which they aren't, but the quest descriptions are boring and unimaginative as fuck, so I'm somewhat thankful I don't have to read them)
- Oh did I say you run around with the same weapon/armor the whole freaking time? Booring.
- Skills are fun so far. But how they incorporated daily and encounter powers is weak as fuck, basically just a few more seconds of cooldown. This was the chance to make the game feel more like D&D and Cryptic completely blew that one.
- Although I bitch a lot in this post: This game is actually still fun. It's maybe one of the very few F2P games that get it right. You have content to play, you don't have to repeat stuff, you don't have to grind (so far), you have a nice variety on levels and enemies, you can go solo or group, the game scales just fine so far, and overall it's honestly way more interesting and fun than it should be, if you go by what the game is on paper. I still like GW2 way more, but since that one is boring as hell right now, this is a very welcome alternative.
- Will definitively play more. Try it out, guys :)

I might or might not post new updates of this along the way.

You can disable the sparkle trail by hitting Z

People can message me if they want. Same name on here and I can invite you to the guild.

Hitting level 20 with the cleric is pretty cool, now I've forgone healing for mother fucking lightening bolts for days. Actually I'm not even sure it's lightening, just burning rays of death being shat out of the sky onto whoever stands in my path.

It's a really great product for a F2P title, it lacks some of the scope of a game like GW2 and I think the implementation of combat based dynamic events would go far (currently you just get item hunts). However the combat feels really good and because of that I think there's a whole lot of potential in the foundry.

Been playing this, and was wondering how the pay system works? What do you 'buy' and is it really "pay to win" like i've been hearing? I actually had a lot of fun doing PVP earlier today

CzarTim

Ok so to create the Guild we needed 5 at level 15 but now any level can join...?
Yup. It's really dumb.

Also, Guild Banks cost 150k AD :-O

Been playing this, and was wondering how the pay system works? What do you 'buy' and is it really "pay to win" like i've been hearing? I actually had a lot of fun doing PVP earlier today

People who pay will have a slight advantage, but free players will catch up eventually. Don't feel pressure to spend money unless you want to support the game. Everything is doable without paying a dime!

If anything I think I'd pay for more bag/bank space. What they provide you with is criminally small once you start acquiring runes and such.

I'm having fun with my dwarf Cleric; he's up to 24 or so. I did the second dungeon (forgot the name) and finally had a fight that was somewhat trying on the end boss. Everything up to that has been completely steamrolled.

putarorex

I have been playing this for a couple days now and I am having fun. The cleric is a fun class and the companion system seems to work well, with my man at war holding aggro pretty well. Some of the foundry quests have been pretty good with lots of dialogue and interesting stories. I don't know if I will play this all the way to 60 but it is scratching the right mmo itch, especially since I am really burnt out on GW2.

LowParry

So is having all gear at end game as BoE a good or bad idea? Everyone's going to roll need, etc etc etc. Which again, screams at this being a P2W game. Yes yes, join in on GAF, get groups, blah blah blah, but that's not the point. I'm a little put off of the idea behind this.

Sidenote: Going from Guardian to Trickster...hot damn they're fun.

Ploid 3.0

I rerolled my guardian to focus more on dd. I hope they don't nerf DD guardian. Dat cleave. I hope the servers aren't down long. I want to get back to the invincible, I should ditch my cure companion and get a extra dd. Lately she's just been getting in my way as I try to gather a lot og enemies on me.

People who pay will have a slight advantage, but free players will catch up eventually. Don't feel pressure to spend money unless you want to support the game. Everything is doable without paying a dime!

At 20 the only thing I've seen that I wanted to spend money on so far was keys for the nightmare boxes (probably due to DotA2's influence). However the fact they've priced it so 10 euros of their currency is just short of 10 keys put me off of it.

CzarTim

At 20 the only thing I've seen that I wanted to spend money on so far was keys for the nightmare boxes (probably due to DotA2's influence). However the fact they've priced it so 10 euros of their currency is just short of 10 keys put me off of it.

I opened 18 of them today and got jack shit.

Protip:

Never, ever buy keys for Cryptic's lock boxes.
The drop rates on the interesting items are ridiculously miniscule, which players have to figure out on their own as Cryptic does not release drop rate info.

Somnia

Protip:

Never, ever buy keys for Cryptic's lock boxes.
The drop rates on the interesting items are ridiculously miniscule, which players have to figure out on their own as Cryptic does not release drop rate info.

To be fair almost no mmo companies release the drop rate info, its found out by the player base. Some might, but almost none of them do.

Ploid 3.0

I'm pretty sure the servers are scheduled to be down for 4 hours.

:( Why did they have to do this on the weekend and not even that late at night.

(Launches Path of exile)

Put them on the auction house for 1 AD.

Ah, I'll try this. Though I wonder who will be buying all of these if that's how everyone will get rid of them. Keys selling alone should be enough profit for this company.

Top Bottom