• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

Played about an hour this weekend as a cleric. Went through the tutorial and the first solo 'stockades'-esque solo dungeon.

I really enjoyed what I played, which is saying a lot for the first five levels of an MMO. I think the targeting is fun, the skill system is novel enough, and the dodge button adds a surprising amount. Of course, it's still the first five levels.

The only problem for me being able to get deeper in is the lack of controller support. As someone with the beginnings of RSI, I'm boggled that they wouldn't throw together a 360 control scheme. Of course, that's not an incredibly common perspective, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's neglected--but the majority of (large release) PC games seem to support controllers these days, so I still think it's weird and disappointing.

Emitan

I'm not really a fan of healing in this game so I might switch my Control Wizard to my main character.

I want to fill up bars as a healer! Not do DPS!

I'm about to hit level 20, and think it's safe for me to give the game some feedback:

What I like

Combat is fast-paced and engaging
Reasonable combat skill customization
Pretty wide variety of races
Bag space isn't an issue (yet)
You get a semi-permanent companion
Decent quests so far, and while there are "Kill X"-quests they are completed in no time.
Free
Some fun Foundry quests

What I don't like

It's painfully obvious that they've more or less lifted game mechanics and components from Champion's Online and Star Trek: Online, and put them into Neverwinter with a new coat of paint. Companions work almost identically to crew members/officers in STO, same with the crafting system. That's fine and all for crafting and companions, as these do not define DnD, but where it becomes straight-up awful is when they use their own game mechanics in lieu of DnD-mechanics - such as the attributes/feats/skills/etc.

It's just the same attributes found in STO and CO, down to how they work as % increases per point spent, but called Con/Int/Str/Wis/Dex/Cha.

That's another gripe that I have with the game - that if it weren't for them namedropping DnD stuff and the name (Neverwinter) - it wouldn't come across as a game taking place in the Forgotten Realms or being an adaption of the tabletop game (Even the 4th ed. one).
Where they've been unable to utilize their previous game's mechanics for various DnD concepts, they've simply skipped out on them (Alignment, Skills, Feats, Customizability).

It's just so awfully generic and drab, and if it weren't for the relatively neat combat, it'd feel right in with the crop of fantasy-wow clones that starting appearing following the success of that giant. I'm running everything on max, and the game looks pretty awful - especially compared to the MMOs we've been getting over the last couple of years. Maybe it's something they can fix, or maybe it's just a problem inherent in using a game engine that's too old to cope with modern games. Yes, you got a ton of character customization in the game, in that you can give your character super long nails, or lanky build, but in the end you need to make your character look like a weird mutant in order for it to not look generic.

Okay, maybe I'm being harsh on it, probably because I've expected something different from what it is. What I expected, when I heard of the name Neverwinter and Dungeons&Dragons, was an RPG MMO - but what I got, was more of an arcadey action MMO. I expect to be immersed in an RPG, to feel like part of the world rather than as a player playing the game - to forget that I'm even playing a game. What you get with Neverwinter on the otherhand is a problem endemic to a lot of F2P - it practically shouts at you that you're playing a game. Constant announcements of player so and so winning a nightmare horse, NPCs telling you about buying Zen coins and converting them to diamonds, messages all over the place notifying you of special rewards you can get if you play a player-created mission or a skirmish within the next 37 minuets!

Now, if my expectations were different, not necessarily lower, I might be enjoying the game more, for what it is. It is an arcade action MMO, where you at times need to push in another dollar to really enjoy the game. Then it's no longer a problem that customization is nearly non-existent, as they are far more customizable than other arcade games adapted from the DnD setting. Honestly, I think using the name Neverwinter was a wrong move, as the point of it is to attract gamers who have previously played Neverwinter Nights - which is a wrong move as they quickly discover that Neverwinter has almost nothing of what made Neverwinter Nights enjoyable.

TL;DR: Yeah, it's not quite the MMO I was waiting for, or expecting.

Having fun with it, but yea it feels like I'm playing a MMO from 5-6 years ago at times, it has an odd feel to it. And it's so full of the jank found in Cryptic games. Sometimes just get frustrated at how needlessly complex some things are to do that just lose interest.

The foundry is a highlight, was in STO to me and if they can expand on the foundry options, this could become pretty awesome.

I honestly think Neverwinter could have made a killing 2-3 years ago.
In comparison, you got an almost ancient DnD MMO (Dungeon's & Dragons Online: Eberron), which while gamefying a lot of the ruleset, still managed to keep some of the complexity in that you level up and pick your feats/skills/etc.

Whereas you got a DPS-Warrior, and Tank-Warrior, in Neverwinter, you just got a Warrior class in DDO which you can easily switch between focusing on DPS to Tanking (and you got the same kind of flexibility for other classes).

So then what is the MMO to go to if you want more 'exciting' combat? Is Tera it?

I just kind of have that itch and am not sure where to go.

I found Dragon's Nest to have better combat but then again I played an archer in that which this game doesn't even have. There are less choices in character building in Dragon's Nest though.
Guild Wars 2 has better pvp than this game.

Dec

I would have to greatly disagree, end game Tera is amazing and untouched

Every class uses gigantic slow weapons, which greatly hinders the pace of so called action combat. The one class that uses fast melee weapons is an evasion tank with mediocre damage. The ranger is pretty quick but I prefer melee.

I found Dragon's Nest to have better combat but then again I played an archer in that which this game doesn't even have. There are less choices in character building in Dragon's Nest though.
Guild Wars 2 has better pvp than this game.

Archer is coming, this game is in beta.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Every class uses gigantic slow weapons, which greatly hinders the pace of so called action combat. The one class that uses fast melee weapons is an evasion tank with mediocre damage.

Slayer isn't that slow, and if you want a fast class you should of just tanked with a warrior. Doubt anything will be as fast as the shit you have to do with that. I mained a warrior in Tera. Most fun class I've ever played in an MMO

Dec

Slayer isn't that slow, and if you want a fast class you should of just tanked with a warrior. Doubt anything will be as fast as the shit you have to do with that. I mained a warrior in Tera. Most fun class I've ever played in an MMO

The only melee class with high speed being a tank is specifically my issue with the game. There was no class that I enjoyed playing. For me, this game has mechanically as good combat, with more enjoyable classes, and a better setting. Just my reasoning for thinking the combat is better here.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iblWDJB67W3qTj.jpg

Progress!

(level 43) Still having tons of fun with it.

Dec

A portion of the game large amount of people will never get to or get to participate in.

To be fair I actually didn't get to Tera end game so I have no idea how that is, but I'm not sure it's relevant since none of us have gotten to Neverwinter end game either.

Dunlop

Anyone on that can invite me, I am randomly whispering gaf members online but not getting a response

...creeping myself out :p

Canuck lvl 15 priest

edit: thx!

Just started my little halfling tank last night and actually really enjoying it. I went in with doubts cos I wasn't a fan of Star Trek Online, felt too much of a disconnect between what I was commanding my dude to do and what he was actually doing (fantastic alien creator though, my guy looked super crazy). But this game seems to really give you more direct control and rewards you for keeping agile while I am finding very appealing.

xenist

Tanks are super fun in this once you get into the high teens. I went from struggling to handle a couple of mobs my level to being able to take on multiple +1 and +2. It reminds of the time in WOW when Retribution Paladins were PVE steamrollers. My cleric companion IT Department helps a ton too.

Dec

A portion of the game large amount of people will never get to or get to participate in.

Some maintenance in half an hour. Patch notes don't seem very significant. Though it does list balancing as being tweaked in Foundry missions. That could be those xp grinding quests. The estimated down time is one hour, but may be extended if we experience any issues during maintenance.

Edit: "Allows authors to have creative flexibility while also maintaining game balance will always be a priority for us. "

Specifically targeting quests like the ones where the monsters are in a pit and can't fight back.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
There goes my EviLore pit quest line out the window.

On a serious note, since you can design interior locations and populate them as you see fit, we should totally make the GAF tavern.

Dec

There goes my EviLore pit quest line out the window.

On a serious note, since you can design interior locations and populate them as you see fit, we should totally make the GAF tavern.

You're limited to what they give you texture and model-wise right? So it would just have to be a tavern full of badass patrons with an appropriate quest name?

Reminds me of the end of this Foundry quest

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You're limited to what they give you texture and model-wise right? So it would just have to be a tavern full of badass patrons with an appropriate quest name?

Reminds me of the end of this Foundry quest

Yeah it's semi-limited, you're stuck with setpieces of stuff that you can cobble together. I haven't looked at it too deeply but you can design both exterior and interors. You also seem to be able to take most NPC/monster models in the game and dress them up and use as interactable NPCs or foes in your quest.

Nekofrog

Banned
Hit 60 last night and PVP'ed for a few hours. Hectic but incredibly fun. Started out not being able to heal for crap due to being specced for DPS while leveling, but once I respecced I was having a huge impact on keeping my team alive. Love it.

Dec

Maintenance done, new items in the Zen Market.

Checked, the new items are two bear mounts and some sort of buffing item, didn't look to much into that.

80% speed bear and a 110% armored version.

Hit 60 last night and PVP'ed for a few hours. Hectic but incredibly fun. Started out not being able to heal for crap due to being specced for DPS while leveling, but once I respecced I was having a huge impact on keeping my team alive. Love it.

That's actually extremely good to see. 90% of my MMO playtime is usually PVP but people seemed pretty down on it. I'm thinking I'll wait until 60 to PVP, balance is always terrible while leveling.

Dunlop

Any good FAQ sites for this game?

I'm kinda lost what incantation does aside from give me loot for some reason

Dec

Any good FAQ sites for this game?

I'm kinda lost what incantation does aside from give me loot for some reason

It's just for rewards. You get coins to spend in a special store for every day you do it. Think laurels in GW2.

There's a second coin that builds up 1 per day to a maximum of 7 that can be spent on supply chests and things like that, but if you fail to do it every 1 day 5 hours you lose all coins and start over.

Plus the Diamonds/exp/buffs you get for actually doing it.

Go into your "Riches" tab in your bag and click spend next to the Ardent and Celestial coins to check out the stores.

As for a good fan site. As far as I am aware there aren't any yet.

I tried out the game for about twenty minutes this morning. One thing that really distracted me was the dodge animation. It looks like my character is sliding on hardwood floors in socks.

Dunlop

It's just for rewards. You get coins to spend in a special store for every day you do it. Think laurels in GW2.

There's a second coin that builds up 1 per day to a maximum of 7 that can be spent on supply chests and things like that, but if you fail to do it every 1 day 5 hours you lose all coins and start over.

Plus the Diamonds/exp/buffs you get for actually doing it.

Go into your "Riches" tab in your bag and click spend next to the Ardent and Celestial coins to check out the stores.

As for a good fan site. As far as I am aware there aren't any yet.

thanks!

Dec

I tried out the game for about twenty minutes this morning. One thing that really distracted me was the dodge animation. It looks like my character is sliding on hardwood floors in socks.

Haha. Every class has a different one, the wizard straight up teleports for example.

Dunlop

lol, same for my Cleric

I dodge out of habit even though I can take the blow...and generally into another pack of mobs

Ezio

Hit 20 with my cleric last night, good stuff. I like it a lot better then Control Wizard so far. Hopefully I get to play some tonight.

Haha. Every class has a different one, the wizard straight up teleports for example.

Ah. I like the idea of class-specific animations but the slide looks silly. It screams "placeholder" to me.

That being said, I do like the lack of auto-attack and tab-target combat. Feels more active, even if I'm only using like three abilities currently.

Einbroch

Banned
Any point to going any other class than Trickster? I just played on my brother's Trickster and did 60% of the total group's damage.

Not to mention you stomp in PVP.

Dec

Pretty sure there are people enjoying every class in the guild. Trickster does the most single target damage but they are squishy and have bad aoe.

I'm leveling with my wife TR/CW and she makes up for my lack of aoe which makes leveling ridiculous.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just hit 45 with my Wizard. Did a skirmish where you're meant to kill a dragon.. yeah... wiped around 45-50% health left.

Xyber

Me, 2 friends and a random did the Idris dungeon yesterday (the fifth guy who was also the healer got DC'd after 10 minutes and didn't come back). So we were 4 people, 2 tricksters and 2 control wizards (because who needs healers and tanks, right? :p). 75% of the dungeon was a walk in the park, then we got to some spiders who messed us up some and then the final room.

That last boss was hard without either a healer or tank, group died 1 time because someone accidentally pulled too many mobs together with the boss. Then we made the control wizards kite the random mobs and keep them busy while me and the other trickster just kept doing damage to the boss. Took quite some time and a lot of health pots, but we got her eventually. Felt so good when she finally died.

Dec

Me, 2 friends and a random did the Idris dungeon yesterday (the fifth guy who was also the healer got DC'd after 10 minutes and didn't come back). So we were 4 people, 2 tricksters and 2 control wizards (because who needs healers and tanks, right? :p). 75% of the dungeon was a walk in the park, then we got to some spiders who messed us up some and then the final room.

That last boss was hard without either a healer or tank, group died 1 time because someone accidentally pulled too many mobs together with the boss. Then we made the control wizards kite the random mobs and keep them busy while me and the other trickster just kept doing damage to the boss. Took quite some time and a lot of health pots, but we got her eventually. Felt so good when she finally died.

The lack of a tank and healer can be overcome if everyone plays well which makes stuff like this really exciting in the moment and really rewarding once you actually succeed.

CzarTim

I am level 42 and have only done 1 or 2 dungeons/skirmishes since my mid-20s due to long queues, people leaving, and bugs/crashes. Bums me out 'cause they are fun.

Top Bottom