• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

Raide

Trickster seems to be the most fun (combat wise) so far. Leveling a Cleric as well and they seem ok as well. Hit 20 and the mount is very handy but I need to figure out how to make some good cash.

Will keep playing until I get bored :p

Dec

Does gold serve a purpose after you've purchased your mount?

Later on I find I'm running out of potions and stuff as a rogue so it can be useful for buying supplies. Potions get a little pricey. Mostly, yes gold isn't important in this game aside from the mount.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
To add to that, don't worry about not having the gold for a mount at 20.

I had just under 2g when I hit 20 and thought it would take forever to get 5g for the mount.

But my free 'rentals' lasted longer than I expected, I've still got one unused rental token available at 28 and over 7g total already so will easily get my mount when the last rental runs out.

My GWF is still lagging other classes at level 28, but not shockingly so, my last Cragmire Crypts run saw me 3rd in damage and while my numbers are poor compared to the Tricksters and Wizards out there I can easily now outdamage Guardians and Clerics and I hope that I get some parity with the other DPS classes as I gain the next 10 levels.

Either way I'm enjoying the class and theres something about underdog classes that always attracts me. :D

Drazgul

My GWF is still lagging other classes at level 28, but not shockingly so, my last Cragmire Crypts run saw me 3rd in damage and while my numbers are poor compared to the Tricksters and Wizards out there I can easily now outdamage Guardians and Clerics and I hope that I get some parity with the other DPS classes as I gain the next 10 levels.

Either I've been grouping with crappy GWFs (which is completely possible I suppose, random groups and all) or they really don't get better: at 60 and doing the epic dungeons, GWFs is the least desirable class to see. Their damage is crappy and they don't really contribute in any other way.

Amakusa

leveled a trickster to 26th, haven't played the game since Sunday May5th... I'm done with it.

What breaks me... is the quest grind, same set up over and over and over again. I enjoy the fan made quest addon, really makes the game stand out.

But... a quest is a quest, kill mobs, kill boss mob at end or collect items, kill # of mobs. Buy mount, buy skills, get armor, grind grind grind.

Dec

leveled a trickster to 26th, haven't played the game since Sunday May5th... I'm done with it.

What breaks me... is the quest grind, same set up over and over and over again. I enjoy the fan made quest addon, really makes the game stand out.

But... a quest is a quest, kill mobs, kill boss mob at end or collect items, kill # of mobs. Buy mount, buy skills, get armor, grind grind grind.

So you don't like MMOs. Maybe single player RPGs too?

Just AFK in PVP like everyone else for free EXP and glory.

Wait, you just go to a PVP zone and stand around collecting experience? Can't you get attacked? I haven't done anything with PVP so I don't know how it works but that seems like an easy way to get to 60.

Emitan

Wait, you just go to a PVP zone and stand around collecting experience? Can't you get attacked? I haven't done anything with PVP so I don't know how it works but that seems like an easy way to get to 60.

You start off on a high up platform where you can't be targeted. At least on the one PvP map I played.

Einbroch

Banned

Yep. You get about 30% a level in EXP per match. You can't report, either.

CzarTim

I must have been spoiled by SWTOR PVP, because I really hate the PVP here. Shitty teams aside, there's not a whole lot of strategy other than focus targeting and having more people on your side in a fight. Capture the point is boring. Also, you can use your mounts and the real-money ones go faster than everyone elses (lol).

Dec

Yep. You get about 30% a level in EXP per match. You can't report, either.

Can't see that lasting. I'm not going to even play the PVP until 60 because MMO pvp is terrible besides at level cap.

I must have been spoiled by SWTOR PVP, because I really hate the PVP here. Shitty teams aside, there's not a whole lot of strategy other than focus targeting and having more people on your side in a fight. Capture the point is boring. Also, you can use your mounts and the real-money ones go faster than everyone elses (lol).

You can get your mount just as fast as them without paying but it isn't cheap. The alternative is either not allowing mounts or slowing everyone down to the lowest speed. It's really any different than something like WoW, you could be too poor to buy mount training and be slower than everyone else.

Anton668

Patch Notes NW.1.20130416a.19

Quests and Environments

Bloodlines: The door to this quest can now properly be interacted with.
Into the Fold: This quest can no longer be shared.

Dungeons

Castle Never: Talgath the Watcher now drops rewards any time he is defeated.

Items

Nightmare Lockboxes may now be discarded or sold.

Foundry

Kill XP limiters have been improved and relaxed.
Reporting Terms of Service violations can once again only be reported after completing a Foundry quest.
Encounters in Foundry quests that use the "Feign Death" behavior are now targetable once the encounter is active.

Gateway
Guild Roster: This page now retains focus when receiving updates.
Guild Roster: This page now remembers search and sort settings for the duration of the session.
Guild Roster: This page now properly shows online players and can sort by online status.
Guild Roster: Guild comments now display in the list
Auctions: The "Expires In" column can now be sorted.
Auctions: Sorting on most columns has been improved.
Enchantment slots in items now match in-game colors.
iOS6 players are now properly able to log in multiple times without clearing their cache.
Fixed a crash in news / EBS server failure.

Graphics

For players with compatible Alienware keyboards, AlienFX now properly deactivates when closing the client.
Textures now flash far less frequently when they're loading in.

just in case you missed it...

Items

Nightmare Lockboxes may now be discarded or sold.

about fucking time!!!!

Ghost23

They need to fix when you are in a group just to talk to your friends, but you are in different locations. Every time someone tries to change instances, you have to be all be there to move on. There have been many times already where we have had to kick someone out if our group just so we could change areas.

"Can't see that lasting. I'm not going to even play the PVP until 60 because MMO pvp is terrible besides at level cap."

40s/50s bracket BGs in Vanilla WoW were far, far superior to 60.

T.O.P

Banned
Wow that dragon is a beast. With all his adds its insane. But beating it really feels like an accomplishment.

Went pug a couple of time but is impossible doin it that way, people kept fuckin things up and dps were way too low , i'll try to get a decent pty tonight through a LFG, wish they would restrict the level for entering an instance, if it's level 34 and up, make it that way ffs :/

Dec

"Can't see that lasting. I'm not going to even play the PVP until 60 because MMO pvp is terrible besides at level cap."

40s/50s bracket BGs in Vanilla WoW were far, far superior to 60.

Interesting. I started when TBC came out so I missed that. Last time I played WoW Rogues one hit people until level 70 when you could get PVP gear.

Went pug a couple of time but is impossible doin it that way, people kept fuckin things up and dps were way too low , i'll try to get a decent pty tonight through a LFG, wish they would restrict the level for entering an instance, if it's level 34 and up, make it that way ffs :/

The dragon fight is pretty intense. I had to carry teknopathetic through it (along with other gaffers). But if you think the dragon is bad wait until you do the werewolf dungeon - that last boss is fucking ridiculous. We did it... but goddamn it was a rollercoaster of insanity the entire 15 minute fight.

SUPARSTARX

Interesting. I started when TBC came out so I missed that. Last time I played WoW Rogues one hit people until level 70 when you could get PVP gear.
Tbc had good pvp too. Twink brackets were some of my favorite days
The dragon fight is pretty intense. I had to carry teknopathetic through it (along with other gaffers). But if you think the dragon is bad wait until you do the werewolf dungeon - that last boss is fucking ridiculous. We did it... but goddamn it was a rollercoaster of insanity the entire 15 minute fight.
just hit sixty and got my gs up to about 7k immediately. Going to be fun! I love a challenge

Reclaimer

The OP needs to start adding in these preview-reviews (Massively, Rock Paper Shotgun, Toms, Forbes, etc)

Maybe the latest patch notes too?

Or has he abandoned it already? =P

Tom's Hardware put out a mini review and full hardware benchmark:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495.html

Tom's Hardwarw said:
No content is gated, and progression isn't slowed for free players. Sure, you can use real money to buy in-game items, but you can also earn those items through by playing and trading in-game currency (Astral Diamonds) for paid currency (Zen, sold online through the game's publisher, Perfect World). This is an ideal way for a free-to-play game to operate: no restrictions on non-paying players, and everything in the cash store can be earned through play.

Of course, none of this matters if the game sucks. Thankfully, that isn't the case. Neverwinter combines the fast pace of action-RPG games like Vindictus with the rich world and nuanced progression of traditional MMOs. The result is more fun than I anticipated, with surprisingly powerful character abilities right out of the gate, and a rate of progression that keeps you coming back to acquire more powers or upgrade existing ones. Neverwinter's combat system is a lot more twitchy and than I'm used to, and it removes a lot of the power-queuing typical of the MMO genre. It makes you feel a lot more involved and connected to the fight. I'm not a huge fan of Vindictus, so it's a little surprising that Cryptic Studios found a balance that really appeals to me.

Ricker

Another maintenance lol,with the random downtime and the scheduled maintenance there's like 3 times a day the game is down...oh well,open beta and all,still enjoying it.

Any level, they all scale to what level you are currently.

Edit, level 15 to create your own.

That's really neat. The Foundry sounds like the most fascinating part of the game to me. I mean the big issue with MMO's is that you run out of content and find no reason to log on, but if players keep creating new missions...

JWong

Banned
Can my STO zen coins transfer to NW and back? ;)

Didn't realize they were taking the same F2P microtransaction model. I love it.

Mikor

Can my STO zen coins transfer to NW and back? ;)

Didn't realize they were taking the same F2P microtransaction model. I love it.

It depends on how you earn the Zen. If you purchased it outright, then it is transferrable. If you gained the Zen as a result of having a paid/lifetime subscription to STO, then it is linked to that specific title.

JWong

Banned
It depends on how you earn the Zen. If you purchased it outright, then it is transferrable. If you gained the Zen as a result of having a paid/lifetime subscription to STO, then it is linked to that specific title.

All of my Zen are obtained through ingame currency exchange.

Logged into STO and found out the Zen coins total don't match. I guess I got 625 free for the beta.

Dec

I agree with this review, this game kinda came out of nowhere for me.

I knew it was coming out, but expected it to suck

A lot of people did, but it ended up being pretty good for the game. People came in with low expectations and found a game that is actually very well crafted.

Dec

This isn't really fair. The quests in this game are particularly samely.

It's generic MMO quests stuffed in for xp between enjoyable storyline dungeons. I agree that the open zone stuff is samey, but it isn't completely full of them. If it's a big turn off for this game, I really can't see someone liking most MMOs.

A lot of his list also applies to RPGs.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with this review, this game kinda came out of nowhere for me.

I knew it was coming out, but expected it to suck

You won't believe how many times I heard this during the last few days. Well, probably you will. But really, it's so true, a complete surprise.

Dec

Top Bottom