• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

It's generic MMO quests stuffed in for xp between enjoyable storyline dungeons. I agree that the open zone stuff is samey, but it isn't completely full of them. If it's a big turn off for this game, I really can't see someone liking most MMOs.

A lot of his list also applies to RPGs.

Most mmos have been getting away from being so grindy and making even the filler material much more interesting to play through or not so much required. Like most Cryptic games, this one is packed with copy and paste design. Cryptic is the king of their generic template feel, they have improved since the old days, but still it shows in Neverwinter. STO was just as bad in that department.

Getting to 30 and really the game is just getting boring. No interesting story or much variety change to keep things interesting.

Dec

Most mmos have been getting away from being so grindy and making even the filler material much more interesting to play through or not so much required. Like most Cryptic games, this one is packed with copy and paste design. Cryptic is the king of their generic template feel, they have improved since the old days, but still it shows in Neverwinter. STO was just as bad in that department.

Considering the only MMO with comparable combat has infinitely worse quests it doesn't really bug me much.

Does the main questline actually go anywhere interesting. I'm lvl 16 right now and I am enjoying the general combat and stuff, but every mission so far seems to lack any overarching direction, I'm a mercenary errand boy. I know plot isn't really the focus on most MMOs, but I do kinda like it being there if it can be.

CzarTim

The OP needs to start adding in these preview-reviews (Massively, Rock Paper Shotgun, Toms, Forbes, etc)

Maybe the latest patch notes too?

Or has he abandoned it already? =P

I'll put together a list of previews tonight, but not the patch notes. No need to clutter things up when they can be posted in the thread. I will add a link to the patch note section of the official site though.

Getting to 30 and really the game is just getting boring. No interesting story or much variety change to keep things interesting.

Funny, I'm at level 50 and I was just thinking how great it has been to not feel a grind (at least so far.) I'll probably have 3 days /played by the time I'm 60, which isn't a lot, but it's nice to be able to get to cap without devoting 100s of hours. At some point I just turned on podcasts and enjoyed the combat.

THe grind starts at 60 to get gear. I'm probably done with the game. The last few zones aren't very fun either.

There is still too much stuff missing from the game. At this time you can't upgrade your companions (because companion rarity upgrades have no price in the shop) so they are basically useless as you level up in the game. You have to spend real money to get anything useful late game right now.

Dec

Ah, that sucks. I've never had much stomach for gear grind. I might dive into making stuff in the foundry until they release the warlock.

Seems like it depends what you're doing. Full epic sets of PVP gear is fast to get.

Ah and the last 3-4 zones aren't great but it's more due to lack of polish I think. Quest paths leading you into walls, but it's fixable by just paying attention to what the quest actually wants you to do.

JWong

Banned
I'm expecting the Gear Grind to be the same as STO.

Need Astral Diamonds or whatever for gear, which will be limited per day.

Ricker

I'm still leveling and haven't really come across ADs. Are they from standard quests/crafting/dungeons? Basically, how easy are they to get without "farming" purposefully for them.

Good question,some of the stuff in this game is so confusing and the tutorial sucks...

CzarTim

I'm still leveling and haven't really come across ADs. Are they from standard quests/crafting/dungeons? Basically, how easy are they to get without "farming" purposefully for them.

Dailies are the best way. You start getting dailies at level 10.

JesseZao

Good question,some of the stuff in this game is so confusing and the tutorial sucks...

I don't mind just "getting to the game" at first, but with there being so many different currencies in the game it's hard to just learn as you go. I like that you can earn the "Cash Money" just by playing. It just makes the game more complicated to navigate since they have to add an additional currency separate from gold to do this.

Dailies are the best way. You start getting dailies at level 10.

Thanks. Even though I loathe the downward spiral of dailies that WoW fell into, I'll look to start doing these when I'm on. Hopefully the quest is different every day.

CzarTim

I don't mind just "getting to the game" at first, but with there being so many different currencies in the game it's hard to just learn as you go. I like that you can earn the "Cash Money" just by playing. It just makes the game more complicated to navigate since they have to add an additional currency separate from gold to do this.

Thanks. Even though I loathe the downward spiral of dailies that WoW fell into, I'll look to start doing these when I'm on. Hopefully the quest is different every day.

The dailies are more like "do a dungeon," "do a pvp match," etc. At least at lower levels, not sure if there are more traditional dailies at 60.

And too many currencies has become an MMO trope at this point. I can think of eight in this game off the top of my head. It's dumb, but helps fight inflation.

Anton668

nope. daily skirm(your lvl)/daily dungeon(your lvl)/daily foundry quest(must be daily approved)/daily PvP

Nekofrog

Banned
The real meat of this game is competitive PVP. Can't wait for a ranking system, my premade group is obliterating everyone.

JesseZao

nope. daily skirm(your lvl)/daily dungeon(your lvl)/daily foundry quest(must be daily approved)/daily PvP

Could be worse I suppose. I like dungeons so that's an easy one. No idea if skirms are fun. Daily Foundry seems to have the most potential for long term fun since they are user-created. PvP is hit or miss assuming you have to win.

Dec

The real meat of this game is competitive PVP. Can't wait for a ranking system, my premade group is obliterating everyone.

There isn't a specific queue for premades so you're likely getting matched with random people that may or may not know what they're doing.

JWong

Banned
So is the GAF guild lively? Or is it going to die off like every other GAF guild in every MMO game.

Edit: Wtf I can't send PMs until 15? Gold spam prevention?

Dec

So is the GAF guild lively? Or is it going to die off like every other GAF guild in every MMO game.

Edit: Wtf I can't send PMs until 15? Gold spam prevention?

What's your @username? I can add you to the guild.

People don't talk at all times but there is regularly 5+ people online at any one time.

Ricker

The thing is you dont really need to be in party most of the time in this,you can just queue the dungeons or dailies,plus people in the guild so far are all different levels and you also dont need the trinity in this one,well not in the early levels so far...I am level 15.I don't know if a guild party is the same as a regular party but there is a good chance you are not on the same channel as well,so people have to transfer to another.

Also what does the message of the day mean: VOIP with a number,how do we join that,what is it for,I managed to talk to some guild members the other day by hitting V,but we where in a party,the microphone icon is missing now,maybe it only appears in a party...? game is still early but are there any raids or something planned? any events,or meet up or anything?guild bank?...its kinda like everyone in the guild is playing the game solo.

CzarTim

The thing is you dont really need to be in party most of the time in this,you can just queue the dungeons or dailies,plus people in the guild so far are all different levels and you also dont need the trinity in this one,well not in the early levels so far...I am level 15.I don't know if a guild party is the same as a regular party but there is a good chance you are not on the same channel as well,so people have to transfer to another.

Also what does the message of the day mean: VOIP with a number,how do we join that,what is it for,I managed to talk to some guild members the other day by hitting V,but we where in a party,the microphone icon is missing now,maybe it only appears in a party...? game is still early but are there any raids or something planned? any events,or meet up or anything?guild bank?...its kinda like everyone in the guild is playing the game solo.
Go to raidcall.com to download the client and put in the Id number. Voice only works in groups, not guild. Not sure if we can really do events with everyone different levels. Guild bank is 150k AD, which I don't really think is worth it. What would we use it for?

Dec

The voice only works in a party and even then it's a bit hit and miss for me. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You can get Raidcall and join us in there, it might take a little if me or Anton aren't on. So far it's just 3 of us in the group so it'll be nice to get a few more.

Edit as for what it's for, it's just easier to ask questions and discuss things over voice rather than in guild chat.

Is raidcall good? Like im so used to Mumble, is Raidcall a good alternative?

Works fine once you sign in but sometimes I get connection errors for no reason. Running as admin and spamming log in usually works after a few tries.

Donnalin@whoaness

I sent you a friend request, I think I missed inviting you seconds before you logged off.

Tash

Tried some yesterday and got my cleric to lvl 9.
Kinda confused about the profession thing next to the minimap. There is a countdown timer. What's that for? Skirmishes also have cooldowns even though I have not entered one yet?

What's that stuff all about?

Nekofrog

Banned
There isn't a specific queue for premades so you're likely getting matched with random people that may or may not know what they're doing.

Nope. We go against premades all the time. The best games have been when the premades knew what they were doing. Stopped them at 998 and came back from 920 to win it.

JWong

Banned
Is there a point to saving up Power Points?

I want to save it up for the ones I want, but 20 points to upgrade to the next rank seems absurd.

Edit: Wow, I just looked at the Human racial... extra Feat points? Is that a huge difference? I feel like rerolling...

Dec

Is there a point to saving up Power Points?

I want to save it up for the ones I want, but 20 points to upgrade to the next rank seems absurd.

Edit: Wow, I just looked at the Human racial... extra Feat points? Is that a huge difference? I feel like rerolling...

You actually can't save up power points. You just need 20 points for example to unlock the ability to put 1 point in the skills in that tier. Think of it like the talent tree.

I'm not sure about the human feat point racial but attributes are actually pretty important. Every point over 10 gives you 1% bonus to something related to the skill, it's different for each class.

For example, the Control Wizard gains 1% increased damage for every Intelligence point over 10, and 1% crit for every Charisma point over 10. So it's very good to pick the race that gets both of those (tiefling) things and try to roll the dice to max them.

Edit: the reason that is important is because the humans gets 3 more feat points, but they miss out on 2 attribute points since other races get +2 to two attributes and humans just pick +2 to one.

JWong

Banned
Ah, so that's what that 20 points means.

So Feats are marginal stat gains?

Edit: Ah I get it. It's a trade off with attribute points.

Dec

Ah, so that's what that 20 points means.

So Feats are marginal stat gains?

It's the talent tree, if you've played other MMOs. They aren't useless, but an extra 3 points isn't going to make all that much difference. The human seems to be the best all round race and more flexible, but there are other races that are better for specific classes.

Edit: woops yea, feats are more class specific bonuses, like stealing movement speed every time you crit on a rogue. Attributes are Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity etc. And depending on your class they make about as much a difference as Feats do.

xenist

Holy shit, that first dragon is a fucking beast to fight with a PUG. That was a bust. At least I can console myself with the fact that in both wipes I (the tank) was the last guy to go down.

By the way, I sent a request for the raidcall group.

Dec

Man I'm getting really unplayable and weird bugs today.

Windowing out to put music on seems to be causing the client to lose connection to the server for 10 seconds every minute which is terrible in PVP. Thinking it's maybe a focus bug I tried to set it to fullscreen instead of maximized window, that results in a weird aspect ratio and huge stretching where my mouse isn't where it looks like it is.

I also can't type so I'm voice chatting to random PVPers trying to figure out wtf is going on an no one is answering lol. (I can hit enter, and the typing box comes up but nothing I type goes in).

Hopefully a restart fixes this.

Holy shit, that first dragon is a fucking beast to fight with a PUG. That was a bust. At least I can console myself with the fact that in both wipes I (the tank) was the last guy to go down.

By the way, I sent a request for the raidcall group.

Did you get in? I see you as accepted but could be a bug.

JWong

Banned
It's the talent tree, if you've played other MMOs. They aren't useless, but an extra 3 points isn't going to make all that much difference. The human seems to be the best all round race and more flexible, but there are other races that are better for specific classes.

Edit: woops yea, feats are more class specific bonuses, like stealing movement speed every time you crit on a rogue. Attributes are Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity etc. And depending on your class they make about as much a difference as Feats do.

I wonder what's the best race for Cleric... I currently rolled a Half-Elf for Constitution and Wisdom.

And the GAF guild needs to be more lively, people!

SUPARSTARX

I can't believe how long some of these bosses are. I ended the stream on one solid attempt on some red dragon in the lava mapped dungeon. Threat management is so messed up in this game right now. I take like 2nd most damage next to the actual tank and the numbers aren't far off between us either.

Nekofrog

Banned
I hate that T2 almost requires a 2 cleric setup, completely negating the need for a tank. Some shit needs serious reworking.

Dec

A LOT of shit needs serious reworking.

But, hey, the game is still in beta right? Yeah? No? Whatever.

I'd consider it as much a beta as Path of Exile, both charge real money, both have problems, both are patched extremely regularly.

Raide

GWF is actually fun once you hit 20. You need the Cleric companion. :D Really helps out. Also, they seem super weapon dependent to progress.

Dec

GWF is actually fun once you hit 20. You need the Cleric companion. :D Really helps out. Also, they seem super weapon dependent to progress.

A huge part of every classes damage is weapon, the other gear matters a lot less.

Deadly

I wonder what's the best race for Cleric... I currently rolled a Half-Elf for Constitution and Wisdom.

And the GAF guild needs to be more lively, people!

I was wondering about this too. I read the 3 extra feats from human is quite good compared to the extra +2 stats you get from other races.

Top Bottom