• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

Ricker

Can you create an extra chat window and move it and place the Guild chat only in there or something ?...for now there some important stuff in Zone chat that I dont want to miss but there's also a lot of crap so it scrolls so fast that the Guild chat gets lost in there as well...I will have to look at that tonight.

I really hope they allow companions to be upgraded soon. It's becoming harder and harder to solo with my weak Cleric companion. It's bad enough she dies so quickly because of her low level but she also has poor AI. Stand there taking hits instead of trying to run away or getting right in front of the boss or battle and taking damage. I'm thinking of setting aside my Guardian Fighter until it changes and making a Control Wizard so I can just kite everything.

JWong

Banned
How do you guys like the other classes?

I'm playing a Cleric. It's pretty good so far, but there's quite a lot of points to allocate that I'm not sure what to do yet.

I realize I'm still a newbie to this game, but god 19 bracket feels unbalanced and just about every post I come across in here about guardian is bad. Is it one of those late bloomer classes?

JesseZao

Just wanted to drop in and ask: What's up with the negative thread title?

The game seems pleasant.

I certainly wasn't waiting for it. I paid no attention to it until I downloaded the client a few days ago. It's been a nice surprise. If it gets continued support I could see it be moderately successful.

I realize I'm still a newbie to this game, but god 19 bracket feels unbalanced and just about every post I come across in here about guardian is bad. Is it one of those late bloomer classes?

The Guardian Fighter? I'm level 44 with one and don't feel it is bad but there are currently issues with aggro in the game. There's points where it's a little tough up until you get a companion and if you choose the Cleric then it's very easy until the mid-30's when the companion starts to become useless. In groups I always have the most damage taken by a large amount so it does the job of tank fine, if you know what you are doing. Mine doesn't put out a whole lot of damage but there are builds out there that focus on DPS.

Dec

The game isn't balanced great in PVP in general but the mode isn't about fighting or kills so it can still be fun if you're an underpowered class. Dying just doesn't mean all that much, a rogue with full daily power will pretty much one shot you if he crits, a CW can stun lock you for seemingly forever, and a Cleric with only healing spells can be very hard to kill.

That being said, Guardians actually seem very strong when I fight them, an offensive guardian is hard to kill. 1v1 fights are very interesting because of block. Positioning matters a lot or else they take nearly no damage.

In the end, I still really like PVP and it's a lot easier to hold your own if you get some gear, which isn't an option at the lower levels so the balancing being bad is even more apparent.

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about the level 19 pvp bracket, if not disregard :p

The Guardian Fighter? I'm level 44 with one and don't feel it is bad but there are currently issues with aggro in the game. There's points where it's a little tough up until you get a companion and if you choose the Cleric then it's very easy until the mid-30's when the companion starts to become useless. In groups I always have the most damage taken by a large amount so it does the job of tank fine, if you know what you are doing. Mine doesn't put out a whole lot of damage but there are builds out there that focus on DPS.
Yeah I thought the aggro system was a tad weird. Then again, I'm not entirely sure how complex the system is, but I tend to lose aggro rather quickly. But I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, and I'll keep at it. I like tanking so yeah!

The game isn't balanced great in PVP in general but the mode isn't about fighting or kills so it can still be fun if you're an underpowered class. Dying just doesn't mean all that much, a rogue with full daily power will pretty much one shot you if he crits, a CW can stun lock you for seemingly forever, and a Cleric with only healing spells can be very hard to kill.

That being said, Guardians actually seem very strong when I fight them, an offensive guardian is hard to kill. 1v1 fights are very interesting because of block. Positioning matters a lot or else they take nearly no damage.

In the end, I still really like PVP and it's a lot easier to hold your own if you get some gear, which isn't an option at the lower levels so the balancing being bad is even more apparent.

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about the level 19 pvp bracket, if not disregard :p
Funny, right after my post I decided to change things up. I saw a wizard/rogue were trying to cap our closer node so I made it my mission to hold that node alone. The wizard pretty much couldn't do anything to me between lunges/stun/block. The rogue was more trouble, but I did alright.

If I'm with the group I try to focus less on supporting with damage, but rather through mark/stuns. Seemed to work ok.

CC heavy matches are frustrating, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. :p

EDIT: Does enforced threat doing anything special in PVP? Is it just marking targets?

Dec

Yeah I thought the aggro system was a tad weird. Then again, I'm not entirely sure how complex the system is, but I tend to lose aggro rather quickly. But I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, and I'll keep at it. I like tanking so yeah!

Funny, right after my post I decided to change things up. I saw a wizard/rogue were trying to cap our closer node so I made it my mission to hold that node alone. The wizard pretty much couldn't do anything to me between lunges/stun/block. The rogue was more trouble, but I did alright.

If I'm with the group I try to focus less on supporting with damage, but rather through mark/stuns. Seemed to work ok.

CC heavy matches are frustrating, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. :p

EDIT: Does enforced threat doing anything special in PVP? Is it just marking targets?

I can't remember exactly what that does. It's your TAB mark right? Don't remember if it does anything but help threat.

Megasoum

Banned
Started playing tonight, I'm still early but I like what I'm seeing so far.

The only thing that annoys me and, I assume, is just a bug but is there a way to stop the three event bars to always pop-up next to the mini-map? I know you can hide them with the purple arrow but they will pop back out everytime you have a cutscene or quest.

Dec

Started playing tonight, I'm still early but I like what I'm seeing so far.

The only thing that annoys me and, I assume, is just a bug but is there a way to stop the three event bars to always pop-up next to the mini-map? I know you can hide them with the purple arrow but they will pop back out everytime you have a cutscene or quest.

Can you hit escape then customize UI and remove them? They may be part of the minimap I can't remember. And yea that sounds like a bug. They can be pretty important though, they let you know when events are coming up.

Events just give you an extra reward for doing whatever the event is for. Like Dungeon Delves will add an extra chest at the end of all dungeons that gives extremely good loot.

Edit: 1.5 hour maintenance starting 33 minutes after this post for a patch.

xenist

Solo Guardian is fun as hell as long as you're quick with your rotation. Zero downtime, too.

Tanking is rather challenging though. Gathering aggro initially is fine. Handling it in long fights is next to impossible.

Raide

Got caught in some annoying lag yesterday that made it impossible to dodge the AoE attacks. I would run away and still get knocked down by it. This game seems way too much focused around having perfect lag. Still kinda fun though!

Ferny

Having a blast with the game so far.

I just wanted to mention, not sure if a lot of people were aware, but you can task your professions outside the game (like when at work) at http://gateway.playneverwinter.com I fully recommend the use of this link. It also works well on mobile phones too.

Gnub

I just wanted to mention, not sure if a lot of people were aware, but you can task your professions outside the game (like when at work) at http://gateway.playneverwinter.com I fully recommend the use of this link. It also works well on mobile phones too.

Thanks!

GWF, really feels underpowered when comparing to a rouge. The damage gulf is ridiculous. Has Cryptic made mention of balancing damage output of classes during this 'beta'?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Whoa, thanks! You can do a lot of stuff there, I had no idea this exists!

JesseZao

I've been using this. It's a great feature!

You even had to pay extra per month if you wanted some of these features for WoW's mobile app. All Cryptic needs is to make an actual app and it would be perfect.

Dec

Got all my PVP gear with T1 PVE trinkets and stuff. Not sure if I'll continue with PVE as much. I'm thinking I might keep doing PVP and either buy the companion you can get or gear for alts.

Anyways this is what the rogue gear looks like, the tabard part has missing textures on the website viewer. Oh yea, I also used like 3 different dye colors lol

iEmPWrWiwucMF.png

Nekofrog

Banned
Got all my PVP gear with T1 PVE trinkets and stuff. Not sure if I'll continue with PVE as much. I'm thinking I might keep doing PVP and either buy the companion you can get or gear for alts.

Anyways this is what the rogue gear looks like, the tabard part has missing textures on the website viewer. Oh yea, I also used like 3 different dye colors lol

T2 PVE outclasses the PVP gear, so there's always that as a goal.

Dec

T2 PVE outclasses the PVP gear, so there's always that as a goal.

Yea I just mean the main reason I started doing pve was to get rid of my leveling trinkets because there aren't pvp trinkets. Not sure I actually want to get deep into pve unless the queues get a lot shorter for the higher stuff?

Nekofrog

Banned
Yea I just mean the main reason I started doing pve was to get rid of my leveling trinkets because there aren't pvp trinkets. Not sure I actually want to get deep into pve unless the queues get a lot shorter for the higher stuff?

Queue times could definitely be a problem, I mostly run with a premade group of friends so it's not a big deal waiting for stuff. Just need a second cleric for a lot of the stuff, which is utter crap right now. It eliminates the need for a tank, pretty much making that class worthless in T2.

Dec

Queue times could definitely be a problem, I mostly run with a premade group of friends so it's not a big deal waiting for stuff. Just need a second cleric for a lot of the stuff, which is utter crap right now. It eliminates the need for a tank, pretty much making that class worthless in T2.

Sounds like it's nice to be a cleric.

Dunlop

Caved and purchased the Guardian pack, trying to train the Dire Wolf from level 1 when I am 26 is painful after the awesomeness that is the tank companion

Anyone know if it is worth it?

Dec

Caved and purchased the Guardian pack, trying to train the Dire Wolf from level 1 when I am 26 is painful after the awesomeness that is the tank companion

Anyone know if it is worth it?

The tank will eventually become worthless since he gets one shot later on. I'd say it's definitely worth leveling the wolf sooner rather than later.

Dec

I'll tough it out then, thanks!

That mount makes such a difference

Better mounts also make you less likely to fall off your horse when hit. I'd say that's the most broken thing about PVP. When I see people on low level horses trying to flank around the map I throw a couple knives and they face plant, then die.

Dunlop

lol, tried PVP once. 3 people afk'd so I left

Probably won't touch it again until they fix that.

Find it weird that this is a problem that was regulated like a decade ago on most MMO's (as well as blocking needing on items you cannot use)

But it is still Beta

Dec

lol, tried PVP once. 3 people afk'd so I left

Probably won't touch it again until they fix that.

Find it weird that this is a problem that was regulated like a decade ago on most MMO's (as well as blocking needing on items you cannot use)

But it is still Beta

I've actually run into an afker maybe once. Most of the time it's people that send 2 or more people to the side point leaving us with only 2-3 against their 4 in the middle. We lose the fight, the map is easy to turtle, and people sit in spawn until it ends.

Did anyone run into issues changing graphic options? I crash every time I try to change resolution, or to windowed mode, or anything in that menu really. I updated my drivers to the ones that were optimized for Neverwinter and that didn't help.

Frant1ck

This was probably asked a thousand times but:

Can anyone tell me where or how are we supposed to trade Astrad Diamonds for Zens? I looked everywhere but i cant find it.

I kinda feel dumb.

Walshicus

Yeah, account servers keep crashing across all Cryptic games. I was in the middle of a Defera run on Star Trek Online. :(

This was probably asked a thousand times but:

Can anyone tell me where or how are we supposed to trade Astrad Diamonds for Zens? I looked everywhere but i cant find it.

I kinda feel dumb.
If it's like Star Trek Online, you go to your inventor, look at the assets tab and press the Exchange button.

Nekofrog

Banned
Don't worry guys, double diamond weekend! ... just get as much as you can for the 15 minutes that the servers are up this weekend!

xenist

Anyway, tanking for PUGs still sucks big hairy balls. I think I'll give the guardian a rest and roll a rogue so my only job can be saying how bad everyone is and then logging off right before the boss. Seriously though, the matching algorithms for parties need a lot of work. A guardian, a cleric and three rogues walk into a bar...

Thanks!

GWF, really feels underpowered when comparing to a rouge. The damage gulf is ridiculous. Has Cryptic made mention of balancing damage output of classes during this 'beta'?

No mention but I'm sure it will happen eventually. Apparently the Rogue has already been nerfed? At least on the official forums I saw a lot of topics complaining about.

Anyway, tanking for PUGs still sucks big hairy balls. I think I'll give the guardian a rest and roll a rogue so my only job can be saying how bad everyone is and then logging off right before the boss. Seriously though, the matching algorithms for parties need a lot of work. A guardian, a cleric and three rogues walk into a bar...

I haven't done any of the later, harder dungeons but at my level (45) I am still number one in damage taken and can at least the hold bosses attention but it's hard at times. My biggest problem right now is PvE and that is because of my weak companion.

Ricker

Yep :( Server crash. Facebook is the place to follow for server outages.

Their Twitter( @NeverwinterGame)is actually faster sometimes as well...got my companion and chose the Dog since when I play in french with my friend he is the offensive Guardian and I am Control Wizard.

''UPDATE: We need to perform emergency network maintenance. ETA downtime: 1 hour. Stay here and we'll update you with new details.''

xenist

I haven't done any of the later, harder dungeons but at my level (45) I am still number one in damage taken and can at least the hold bosses attention but it's hard at times. My biggest problem right now is PvE and that is because of my weak companion.

Oh I'm always by far, sometimes by twice as much, ahead of everyone else in damage taken. I just had a fuckwit rogue screw up a dungeon run for me and I'm venting a bit.

Top Bottom