• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

CzarTim

I replied to my old ticket but I may as well make a new one, too. They need a freaking phone number. According to support I was supposed to get an email but I didn't, I just can't sign into anything.

This has honestly put me off the game. Near non-existent support and a terrible security feature.

That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Tash

I replied to my old ticket but I may as well make a new one, too. They need a freaking phone number. According to support I was supposed to get an email but I didn't, I just can't sign into anything.

This has honestly put me off the game. Near non-existent support and a terrible security feature.

And a ton of exploits destroying the economy..

Ezio

That sucks to hear man. I hope you get your account back though.

On another note, hit 34 last night while group with a RL buddy who is now a 33 trickster. Had a lot of fun duoing, we did a skirmish, a foundry and also rocked out quite a few quests. I went from 30-34 and he went from 28-33 in a little over 2 hours. The way the quest hubs are setup I tend to like quite a bit, not a whole lot of backtracking, and it keeps you in one area just long enough so it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

SUPARSTARX

Got queued with a bugged guardian last night. We just mowed through Castle Never a few times. Mobs in there hit like trucks too. Think they're patching the armor bug today or something.

Xiaoki

And a ton of exploits destroying the economy..

What?! No. The game is fine. Perfectly fine.

lulz.jpg

Found this on the forums.

Ezio

Got queued with a bugged guardian last night. We just mowed through Castle Never a few times. Mobs in there hit like trucks too. Think they're patching the armor bug today or something.

I keep reading and seeing stuff about this. I know it's just GF but is it like a special ability that they have that is bugged or something?

xenist

I keep reading and seeing stuff about this. I know it's just GF but is it like a special ability that they have that is bugged or something?

Beats me. I'm giving up on my GF until there's a big overhaul. I can't do damage for shit. Any fight with a mob with more that three bars of health is a BIG deal. If the mob also has a heal I may as well be fighting a boss. If I'm fighting a boss with a heal I better be three levels above it or I may as well be fighting Ragnaros.

Dec

Haven't really looked into it but the mod that posts patch notes posted this:

NW Mod said:
There was a very specific bug where, under certain circumstances, damage would be increased to an amount exponentially higher than it should have been. It was not that all Guardian Fighters were doing more damage than intended - it was a very specific bug that happened under very specific circumstances.

I'm surprised to see all the negativity. The game is, after all, still in beta, so some balance issues and bugs are to be expected. But the combat's a lot of fun, and Im acing a blast with my 40 control wizard.

Dec

I'm surprised to see all the negativity. The game is, after all, still in beta, so some balance issues and bugs are to be expected. But the combat's a lot of fun, and Im acing a blast with my 40 control wizard.

I've been clearing up misconceptions since closed beta but there are problems and not everyone is going to wait until they are fixed. In general the game has had much more positivity around it than negative once people got to play it for themselves. Now that a lot of us have hit level cap, a lot of people are feeling the effects of things like the bad threat, bugs, and exploitable drops in dungeons.

Even though I've been bummed out towards it since I haven't been able to actually play in days thanks to their bad support team, I'm still into the game and I'll keep playing if only to level up alts and PVP.

I've been clearing up misconceptions since closed beta but there are problems and not everyone is going to wait until they are fixed. In general the game has had much more positivity around it than negative once people got to play it for themselves. Now that a lot of us have hit level cap, a lot of people are feeling the effects of things like the bad threat, bugs, and exploitable drops in dungeons.

Even though I've been bummed out towards it since I haven't been able to actually play in days thanks to their bad support team, I'm still into the game and I'll keep playing if only to level up alts and PVP.

Can you elaborate more on the trick to pick up the pvp gear in a few hours once you hit level 60? I've been accruing honor over my time leveling up to 40 or so, but I still don't have any idea of what to do with it.

Dec

Can you elaborate more on the trick to pick up the pvp gear in a few hours once you hit level 60? I've been accruing honor over my time leveling up to 40 or so, but I still don't have any idea of what to do with it.

There is a vender in the PVP building in Protector's Enclave. Prices are 3200-5200 per piece. Victories are 750 glory or over, losses are 350 or over (you can get bonus glory for being a top player, or items). It's pretty fast. Probably a full day of playing quite a bit to get the whole set.

PVP gear isn't locked to your character so I've pretty much got items waiting for my alt to get 60. It keeps you in a group after the game so if you do really well a lot of times the group will requeue and just steam roll for a few hours, getting tons of Glory.

The negative is that there are only certain pieces of PVP gear. 4 piece sets (with set bonuses) consisting of actual armor, then also weapons. Trinket items like necks, rings, belt, shirt etc. Have to be bought on the AH or gotten through PVE.

CzarTim

I agree with you for the most part, but companies need to stop hiding behind the beta label to excuse criticism. You can pay money for the game and there will be no more character wipes. As far as I'm concerned, that means it's out.

Any fun bugs seeing as this shares the basic engine (and back-end stuff, I think) with Star Trek Online and Champion's Online?
I remember back in STO, you could use power hue changing commands to change the colour of your phasers :D (tried it in Neverwinter Online, did not work).

Any fun bugs?

Yeah, it's not really "just beta" once you can pay for stuff in the game, and once they won't wipe your characters.

Dec

Meh I still consider it a beta. Paying money shouldn't matter since people do that for games that may never even release. Releasing a fully working game with a lot of bugs labeled as beta allows them to help fund the last bit of development and fans that have been waiting for the game get to play it sooner. If it's a problem for you personally, just wait until it's not a beta anymore.

Tash

What?! No. The game is fine. Perfectly fine.

lulz.jpg

Found this on the forums.

That was what I was referring to :p

There was an issue with one of the GF T2 epic sets which enabled them to one shot stuff..sounds like they fixed it though (at least I hope so..). Supposedly the set bonus was totally wrong implemented and with a certain skill combo just utterly bugged out.
Not speaking from my own experience :) I got a DC and she is only lvl 30.

SUPARSTARX

It's fixed.. The surplus of items from the exploits isn't entirely that bad. A lot of people can gear up for cheap at the moment, but I expect the market to normalize in the near future.

Ezio

Did Lair of the Mad Dragon last night, we did 3 attempts on the dragon, I was the only cleric. Didn't work out too well. Ah well, hopefully I get another shot at it tonight.

Dunlop

Did Lair of the Mad Dragon last night, we did 3 attempts on the dragon, I was the only cleric. Didn't work out too well. Ah well, hopefully I get another shot at it tonight.
Tried the run once, it takes so long to get to the end and he dragon fight also takes forever.

Got it to about 10% until we wiped, this was with a pug and the fight was just SO long that I have no interest to do it again unless it is a guild thing.

As the cleric you absolutely have to make sure someone is killing the adds that aggro on you, it is almost impossible to heal otherwise as you need to stop to cast

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Friend got me to try this, it is actually really fun. I enjoy that it is not auto-attack based, and playing a Wizard is a lot of fun.

But the world (so far, level 9) leaves a lot for the imagination, I'm more focused on following the quest line than I am taking in the world and that isn't a good thing at all.

I want to like Neverwinter, but I have to ask to the people at or close to end game. Do mobs ever gain mechanics? It soemtimes fee like majority of challenge stems from throwing more mobs at the team. One thing I enjoy coming from other mmos like SWTOR and DCUO are mechanic heavy fights. It keeps things interesting and fights intense.

I only got up to about 30, but most mobs and bosses were just slash fests while avoiding AOEs. Then again all of those dungeons were easy.

I also tried a few foundry quests and they seemed to suffer the same issue. Difficulty came entirely from mob swarming.

Does it get better? Any particular quests that have fun and interesting bosses?

Dec

I want to like Neverwinter, but I have to ask to the people at or close to end game. Do mobs ever gain mechanics? It soemtimes fee like majority of challenge stems from throwing more mobs at the team. One thing I enjoy coming from other mmos like SWTOR and DCUO are mechanic heavy fights. It keeps things interesting and fights intense.

I only got up to about 30, but most mobs and bosses were just slash fests while avoiding AOEs. Then again all of those dungeons were easy.

I also tried a few foundry quests and they seemed to suffer the same issue. Difficulty came entirely from mob swarming.

Does it get better? Any particular quests that have fun and interesting bosses?

NW: T2's Hardest Boss

He also calculated the diminishing returns of all the stats in the game which is pretty useful to know.

Mugaaz

Don't play the Beta card, it's complete bullshit. Open beta is release, it's not a beta. They are not testing anything prior to launch, they are generating revenue right now, its a commercial product right now, its not a beta. The purpose of this period is not to generate user feedback in order to make the game better for release, its to make fucking money while they can hide behind the "Beta" shield.

F2P Dictionary:
Closed Beta = Beta
Open Beta = Release

Dec

Don't play the Beta card, it's complete bullshit. Open beta is release, it's not a beta. They are not testing anything prior to launch, they are generating revenue right now, its a commercial product right now, its not a beta. The purpose of this period is not to generate user feedback in order to make the game better for release, its to make fucking money while they can hide behind the "Beta" shield.

F2P Dictionary:
Closed Beta = Beta
Open Beta = Release

Sounds like you have some sort of insider information.

Nibiru

Banned

Oh come on the Zen store is fully operational and the characters are permanent. This IS release it's just the new way for games to launch as it provides a good excuse for bugs.

I have no problem with this at all as Path of Exile did the same thing and love that game but lets call a spade a spade.

As for the game itself when the principle mechanic is to knock mobs off cliffs you have a seriously lame game imo.

Dec

Oh come on the Zen store is fully operational and the characters are permanent. This IS release it's just the new way for games to launch as it provides a good excuse for bugs.

I have no problem with this at all as Path of Exile did the same thing and love that game but lets call a spade a spade.

As for the game itself when the principle mechanic is to knock mobs off cliffs you have a seriously lame game imo.

Not sure it can be called a principal mechanic when one class can even do it. That video wasn't posted for the throwing of monsters, just to show that there are interesting boss mechanics.

Xiaoki

Not sure it can be called a principal mechanic when one class can even do it. That video wasn't posted for the throwing of monsters, just to show that there are interesting boss mechanics.

And the "interesting boss mechanic" is throwing everything over the ledge and instantly killing it. Sounds more like an exploit than a boss mechanic.

But I guess, in Neverwinter exploits equal interesting mechanics.

Dec

And the "interesting boss mechanic" is throwing everything over the ledge and instantly killing it. Sounds more like an exploit than a boss mechanic.

But I guess, in Neverwinter exploits equal interesting mechanics.

It is an exploit and isn't even close to what I was trying to show. He used an exploit to throw everything to it's death and they still failed to complete it for 6 hours. You think maybe there are some other mechanics going on?

Nah, lets know nothing about the later PVE bosses and just assume they are all like the low level dungeons. That's true for every MMO, right?

Yea....

Just to reiterate. I wasn't saying the throwing monsters was the interesting boss mechanic. Just pay literally any amount of attention to the actual fight going on.

Mugaaz

Sounds like you have some sort of insider information.

The insider information is a brain and the ability to apply logic and reason. Open beta in F2P has meant release for the past 5 years. Are they wiping after open beta? That is all you have need to know to determine if its a beta or not. If you think any problems with the game are due to it being in a beta you are an idiot or a corporate shill, period. Do we have to tautologize something that was true 10 years ago, but hasn't been since? Please wake up. All real alphas and betas take place in closed sessions. Name one major game in the past 5 years that has made a monumental change for official release? It's just iterative quality control, bug fixing, and rolling out of more cash shop features.

Dec

The insider information is a brain and the ability to apply logic and reason. Open beta in F2P has meant release for the past 5 years. Are they wiping after open beta? That is all you have need to know to determine if its a beta or not. If you think any problems with the game are due to it being in a beta you are an idiot or a corporate shill, period. Do we have to tautologize something that was true 10 years ago, but hasn't been since? Please wake up. All real alphas and betas take place in closed sessions. Name one major game in the past 5 years that has made a monumental change for official release? It's just iterative quality control, bug fixing, and rolling out of more cash shop features.

Path of Exile, Dota 2.

Not sure Neverwinter is even considered a "major" game release. No need for insults.

JesseZao

Seems you've've fallen off your rocker. No need for unfounded insults. There are many more worthy debates for such a zealous crusade.

Ezio

Did Throne of Idris last night, fairly easy. A ton easier then LOTMD. Didn't get any good loot but I wanted to run at least once.

Is anyone having issues logging in? I was able to start playing last night and enjoyed what I saw of the game. I tried logging onto the website this morning with what I'm sure was my correct password, but it kept telling me that my password was incorrect. I used the password reset and haven't yet received an email - it's been about an hour.

My coworker also got his account hacked last night and they changed the email for the account on him. Sounds like security is pretty shoddy. Declarius, I'm worried he's going to have the same experience as you.

Mugaaz

Path of Exile, Dota 2.

Not sure Neverwinter is even considered a "major" game release. No need for insults.

Those made changes in closed beta. PoE has constantly iterated (quite well I might add), no major changes or complete reworks. I'm just sick of people use the "its a Beta" card for every problem in open beta F2P games. Stop being shills.. This is not NWN hate, I dont have a problem with this game. Though any problems I did have wouldn't be because "its a Beta".

JesseZao

Those made changes in closed beta. PoE has constantly iterated (quite well I might add), no major changes or complete reworks. I'm just sick of people use the "its a Beta" card for every problem in open beta F2P games. Stop being shills.. This is not NWN hate, I dont have a problem with this game. Though any problems I did have wouldn't be because "its a Beta".

You keep using that word. I do not think you know what the term "shill" means.

Dec

Is anyone having issues logging in? I was able to start playing last night and enjoyed what I saw of the game. I tried logging onto the website this morning with what I'm sure was my correct password, but it kept telling me that my password was incorrect. I used the password reset and haven't yet received an email - it's been about an hour.

My coworker also got his account hacked last night and they changed the email for the account on him. Sounds like security is pretty shoddy. Declarius, I'm worried he's going to have the same experience as you.

Hope everything works out. I still haven't gotten a reply to my ticket. Probably going to make another.

Last thing I'll say on this is that Path of Exile isn't even done. There is another whole act that will come out and that game is open beta. Dota 2 may as well be open beta and Dota 2 now compared to Dota 2 a little while ago is a huge difference.

Of course none of this matters. My point was only that we can't know what they intend to release. Scourge Warlock and Archer are coming, if they come before the game is fully released is it just a beta update or a content patch. For me it's a beta update, adding classes that were always meant to be there, since there is a "coming soon" teaser in the character creation. Open beta's have been done as you are saying, I'm just not sure this is one of those cases.

JesseZao

I know what the actual definition is and I'm using it incorrectly for effect. Just like when people "literally" died from laughter.

Irregardless, you should of thought about calling people idiots before claiming to be on pair with those who would use literally incorrectly. Its ironic that there are better ways to voice your opinions if you want people to listen.

Anyone in the guild online right now?

Just made my toon and was wondering about getting an invite but it doesn't look like anyone is playing :(

Renozuken@BrokenEchelon

xenist

The instance matching in this game should be renamed to "weird groups." Yesterday alone I ran Cragmire Crypts with two groups with my wizard. One had two wizards and two rogues. One had two wizards and a cleric. The first group even cleared the dungeon. It was a nuke-a-thon like no other. I ended up "tanking" the final boss in the second group. Even got him down to 30% after 10 minutes. But by then I was alone and the room was literally filled with adds.

Tash

The instance matching in this game should be renamed to "weird groups." Yesterday alone I ran Cragmire Crypts with two groups with my wizard. One had two wizards and two rogues. One had two wizards and a cleric. The first group even cleared the dungeon. It was a nuke-a-thon like no other. I ended up "tanking" the final boss in the second group. Even got him down to 30% after 10 minutes. But by then I was alone and the room was literally filled with adds.

Just shows how the holy trinity doesn't work right now due to broken mechanics. :p

Dec

Anyone in the guild online right now?

Just made my toon and was wondering about getting an invite but it doesn't look like anyone is playing :(

Renozuken@BrokenEchelon

I haven't had access to my account for like a week, but I'm sure someone will invite you when they are on.

Walshicus

Can someone invite "Matthew Walshadar@Walshicus" as well?

Also, have a quick question for people who are a bit further in than I am. I run a small blog looking at prices and trends etc. in the Star Trek Online economy and I'd like to bring in Neverwinter. The Astral Diamond : Zen ratio is an obvious set of data to capture being directly analogous to the Dilithium : Zen ratio in STO.

In STO I keep track of the price of "Master Keys" (used to unlock lockboxes), ships and a few other things on the item exchange (auction house). If you had to list a handful of key items to track in Neverwinter, what would they be?

Dec

Can someone invite "Matthew Walshadar@Walshicus" as well?

Also, have a quick question for people who are a bit further in than I am. I run a small blog looking at prices and trends etc. in the Star Trek Online economy and I'd like to bring in Neverwinter. The Astral Diamond : Zen ratio is an obvious set of data to capture being directly analogous to the Dilithium : Zen ratio in STO.

In STO I keep track of the price of "Master Keys" (used to unlock lockboxes), ships and a few other things on the item exchange (auction house). If you had to list a handful of key items to track in Neverwinter, what would they be?

Keys, sets of gear (PVP set, PVE T1,T2, and T3 sets).

Top Bottom