• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Now that I look more into Mage Knight the art isn't all that appealing, particularly how women are depicted. :| The character they added for The Lost Legion expansion is a bit of a slap in the face.

Karkador

Banned
Now that I look more into Mage Knight the art isn't all that appealing, particularly how women are depicted. :| The character they added for The Lost Legion expansion is a bit of a slap in the face.

Unfortunately, this is one area a lot of board gaming has some growing up to do

Karkador

Banned
I say this every time this particular subject comes up, but the Netrunner card game (and the other games in its universe) does a pretty phenomenal job with the variety of people it puts into its little world (with minimal fantasy caveats, too)

Draxal

I say this every time this particular subject comes up, but the Netrunner card game (and the other games in its universe) does a pretty phenomenal job with the variety of people it puts into its little world (with minimal fantasy caveats, too)

There's alot of games that don't do it (pretty much every Euro), you just have to avoid fantasy first, and sci fantasy (.ie fantasy in space) second.

There's alot of games that don't do it (pretty much every Euro), you just have to avoid fantasy first, and sci fantasy (.ie fantasy in space) second.
Yep pretty much this, if this type of thing bother you then avoid this type of themes as many arts and depiction are typical of male fantasy depiction of women I iron bikini or beefy dude bro guys. That said not all are that way, LoTR LCG have great arts so does Mistfall, Legend of Andor both of which is Fantasy theme.

I always think Mage Knight arts are pretty ugly in general and the theme is sort if slap on as it came from WizKids clix game so I didn't expect much. Game is awesome though.

Since we are on subject if Dominion (game no one in my family want to play because boring theme or lack thereof) have any of you play Arctic Scarvenger HQ? I saw the game at my local store and told it play like Dominion.

Fantasy Flight Games in general seems more progressive.

On a Dominion note, I played 3 games yesterday with 2, 3, and 4 players, and a mix of Seaside/Dominion cards depending on the game, and they worked pretty well though I feel like my friend and I are the only ones who REALLY like the game, and other people are just okay with it. Ironically, my friend and I never beat these other people. I finally got to play gardens once and only lost by 2 points, but rushing lots of cards was funny in that case. I lost all 3 games but wasn't even that sad about losing, and I feel like that's the sign of a game I truly like -- I feel the same way about Libertalia and maybe Race for the Galaxy. I probably have a bad habit of not having much fun if I'm losing in a lot of games.

Don't worry, you and your friend are good to go. 2-player Dominion is the best way to play as there's a lot more strategic depth. I know you just started playing, but you should check out http://dominionstrategy.com/ and its forum. It used to be a lot more active when Isotropic (amazing, unofficial online Dominion) was around, but there's still plenty to read about.

XShagrath

Got a chance to play Robinson Crusoe for the first time yesterday. Even the first mission is pretty white-knuckle, but we barely eked out a win!

I got Ghost Stories last week to prepare for next month (Halloween) and tried a solo game, lost horrible but it was just for learning and I don't really enjoy playing solo all that much. Game seems cool, easy to understand but hard to master, which always is a good thing in my opinion. I now have a lot of Bauza games (also have Tokaido, Takenoko and 7 Wonders).

When starting this hobby about a year ago, I mostly focused on euro games and gateway games, but I have a feeling that my wife actually prefers thematic games, even if she beats me all the time in games like Bruges or Five Tribes which I think are her two favorite euros. Now I'm thinking to get Eldritch Horror as a second Halloween night game. I hope it clicks.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm currently eyeing Zombicide to get into the holiday-spirit, should I begin with the basegame, or are the later seasons better?

fenners

I'm currently eyeing Zombicide to get into the holiday-spirit, should I begin with the basegame, or are the later seasons better?

Prison Outbreak (the season 2 set) has a lot of fiddly add-ons to the rules for special doors/watch towers/tiles etc & the tile art isn't as well defined.

Rue Morgue (season 3) is personally my favourite of the expansions/seasons, changing the rules a little, nice set of tiles (hospital/tents). It's got more survivors, no zombivors. I don't find the new zombie type, skinner, particularly interesting after playing with it a few times, but I might be alone on that, and the other new type, seeker, just makes the game a crapshoot, which I don't like.

I used to just recommend getting the base set, but these days? Rue Morgue might be the better long term value.

XShagrath

Solo or group? I should probably buy this game.
We played a two player game. We also used Friday (extra worker) and the dog (extra worker only for exploration and hunting), so it was "easy" mode, even though it took us until the last turn, and my character was almost dead. It's definitely a brutal game, and I don't think I'll win every time. Also feels highly thematic for a euro.

Mr E.

We played a two player game. We also used Friday (extra worker) and the dog (extra worker only for exploration and hunting), so it was "easy" mode, even though it took us until the last turn, and my character was almost dead. It's definitely a brutal game, and I don't think I'll win every time. Also feels highly thematic for a euro.
Took me ages to win the first scenario. I took carpenter and nails. Which is best combo for solo play first mission.

mercviper

Looks like my next CSI order will be LotR and Robinson Crusoe lol. Gonna try to wait til I at least finish the 12 mission campaign from Galaxy Defenders though.

Yeah my initial experiences with Robinson Crusoe were rough

Somehow my brother and I were convinced you had to pay 1 Wood on top of the shown costs for each invention

That made the game quite a bit harder lol

Still managed to win one of the games though

Dreavus

I think I'm slowly reaching the board game event horizon of too many games and not enough time to play them all or give them all a fair shake.

My friends and I joke about "cost per play" when it comes to board games, and some of my pickups have a dangerously high play:cost ratio right now, especially lower player count games.

I should probably start rotating my collection but I can't bring myself to do it just yet!

What are your guys' thoughts on Splendor?

I'm thinking of getting it for my next game purchase, and based on what I've read about it, it seems to hit a lot of the right notes for me: short game length, simple game mechanics, good for 2 players, has enough strategy with engine-building, etc.

The other one I'm thinking about is Elysium (coincidentally, by the same publisher), but the 2 player version apparently isn't as good.

Blizzard

Banned

I'm thinking of getting it for my next game purchase, and based on what I've read about it, it seems to hit a lot of the right notes for me: short game length, simple game mechanics, good for 2 players, has enough strategy with engine-building, etc.

The other one I'm thinking about is Elysium (coincidentally, by the same publisher), but the 2 player version apparently isn't as good.
I'm not sure I would Splendor as "engine-building" since it is so simple. You just match colors to get cards, and each card gives you a permanent -1 discount on a particular color and more cards. If you collect enough of certain colors you can get "noble" tiles which have no effect other than victory points. I guess it's technically a simple engine that always works the same way? :p

The board layout keeps randomly being updated from 3 decks as you get cards, so you might expect to get a third blue card or something and then get completely screwed by deck ordering.

A lot of people seem to like it. I own it, and I'm okay with it, and the heavy poker chips are cool, but it's a little too simple and random for me to really love it, I think.

Tangeroo

If you're looking for a good 2-player game that hits a lot of similar notes as Splendor, I'd recommend Jaipur. Granted, it's *only* a 2-player game but it's pretty great.

I'm not sure I would Splendor as "engine-building" since it is so simple. You just match colors to get cards, and each card gives you a permanent -1 discount on a particular color and more cards. If you collect enough of certain colors you can get "noble" tiles which have no effect other than victory points. I guess it's technically a simple engine that always works the same way? :p

The board layout keeps randomly being updated from 3 decks as you get cards, so you might expect to get a third blue card or something and then get completely screwed by deck ordering.

A lot of people seem to like it. I own it, and I'm okay with it, and the heavy poker chips are cool, but it's a little too simple and random for me to really love it, I think.

I guess that's what a lot of people on BGG mean. Simple, but still has elements of engine-building.

If you're looking for a good 2-player game that hits a lot of similar notes as Splendor, I'd recommend Jaipur. Granted, it's *only* a 2-player game but it's pretty great.

I actually got Jaipur as a gift last year and have only played it once. There was something about it that I just didn't enjoy. Now I'm worried Splendor would have the same problem, but I'm reading that it's a lot more dynamic and has various ways to victory.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Come to think of it I do think Jaipur is a better game. I own and like Splendor but it is the driest and simplest game pretty much ever.

The SO convinced me to throw out the encounter cards for Temple of Elemental Evil. Basically they were going to end up quitting because it was too frustrating, so removing them seemed like they would make things easier. Also I wanted to play two heroes but they were already feeling like an accessory, which was a valid point. Started adventure two again and the third tile we drew had three monsters. T_T Off to a great start. I really need to let go of killing the monsters and just running for it.

My wife and I really enjoy playing Splendor. The mechanics aren't too complex, but there is a good, but not heavy, amount of strategy involved. I've played it with three other players as well and it held up. Everyone I introduced the game to has really liked it.

I might have to look into Jaipur, based on the posts I just read.

Nudull

Banned
Mage Knight is supposed to be really good for soloing. I've only played 1 game solo and was learning the rules at the time. Still quite fun though

Here's a thread with some other recommendations

Single player dungeon crawling BOARD games
Imperial Settlers, Legendary Deckbuilders, Mage Knight, Lord of the Rings LCG, Shadowrun CG, Pandemic, Hostage Negotiator, Friday

I'll definitely look into some of these. Thanks, everyone (and thanks for the link!).

The SO convinced me to throw out the encounter cards for Temple of Elemental Evil. Basically they were going to end up quitting because it was too frustrating, so removing them seemed like they would make things easier. Also I wanted to play two heroes but they were already feeling like an accessory, which was a valid point. Started adventure two again and the third tile we drew had three monsters. T_T Off to a great start. I really need to let go of killing the monsters and just running for it.

Were you drawn to D&D, or just that particular game? :)

d1rtn4p

So I backed 7th Continent. If I get one full play out of it, I figure it'll be worth it.

Then again, it is Kickstarter, so it'll probably come out some time in 2017.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-explore-survive-you-are-the-hero

Still, the game looks ambitious, and if they get 80% of what they're aiming for, I'll enjoy it.

Backed it earlier. Game looks dope as hell. Used to love Fighting Fantasy as a kid. Really hoping this lives up to that.

Castef

Banned
I recently played a short demo (1 mission) of Sword & Sorcery, from Ares Games.

Quite canonical dungeon crawler, yet it contains a nice "videogamish" feeling to it.

Nice miniatures too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Experien

Are people getting just the base 7th Continent or the one with the expansions?

I feel it is pointless to beg, but I hope the box isn't too big. I mean it is nothing but cards, right? How big can it be?

joelseph

I love this game for it's ability to be a deckbuilder and a baseball simulator on a "modified" rule set all while being super fun and super exciting. Not even a baseball fan and this game gets me running laps around my kitchen screaming "WALK OFF HOME RUN THE CROWD GOES WILD!"

You have a small set of cards that you draw from to form your lineup. How you play your team will win or lose you the game. In between games you spend money on recruiting new players to your team. There is a paper-rock-scissors style of meta to the three types of players, humans, cyborgs and robots but it never feels like a mindless play and see style card game.

2045.png

I am watching 7th Continent. I am not sold yet and shipping to Canada is going to kill me, plus possible customs fees.

I am really surprise how much funding the game got already. I just back Gloom of Kilforth and the shipping from UK almost stop me from backing them. ($25.00 for $50.00 game ) I decided to back them because I love the artworks and the very unlikely that the game will get published outside of KS. I think I am going to wait on 7th Continent and the other gloom game (Gloomhaven).

Lupercal

Banned
Prison Outbreak (the season 2 set) has a lot of fiddly add-ons to the rules for special doors/watch towers/tiles etc & the tile art isn't as well defined.

Rue Morgue (season 3) is personally my favourite of the expansions/seasons, changing the rules a little, nice set of tiles (hospital/tents). It's got more survivors, no zombivors. I don't find the new zombie type, skinner, particularly interesting after playing with it a few times, but I might be alone on that, and the other new type, seeker, just makes the game a crapshoot, which I don't like.

I used to just recommend getting the base set, but these days? Rue Morgue might be the better long term value.

Indeed, get Rue Morgue but do buy the standalone tiles for season 1.
Still the best tileset there is and syncs nicely with Rue Morgue. We just made a 45 tileset with rue morgue and 2x season tiles and it looked like a little town.

Deadstar

I'll be hosting a Cosmic Encounter game, possibly tonight on Tabletop Simulator. So you guys can get ready for it and then join me. I believe you can have 5 players total. Who is excited?

JSR_Cube

I am really surprise how much funding the game got already. I just back Gloom of Kilforth and the shipping from UK almost stop me from backing them. ($25.00 for $50.00 game ) I decided to back them because I love the artworks and the very unlikely that the game will get published outside of KS. I think I am going to wait on 7th Continent and the other gloom game (Gloomhaven).

I am surprised as well. It is tracking to be over $3 million last I checked. It is a very high price point to me, without shipping. I find it crazy that people will shell out over $100 for a game they haven't played but then moan when the board game apps come out at $4.99.

Someone on this forum, I believe, has called it designer board games and that is really what we are getting into these days, especially on kickstarter.

Deadstar

Time and time zone?

I'll probably get started around 5:30 pm PST. If we can lock in 5 total players here I will password the game. If not I will just create the game and we'll get whoever is in there. I haven't tried out the voice chat in the game yet.

Edit: Something came up, might not be able to start until about 9 pm pst. Might have to reschedule for another day.

Top Bottom