• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

hunchback

Amazon is a rip off for sleeves. Definitely check out your FLGS for fairer prices. I almost made the same mistake paying $7 for a pack of 50 FFG sleeves before I thought to check out my FLGS who were charging $2.99.

One Core might only let you beat the first quest solo. If you proxy the missing cards that's enough to beat the second quest. I have yet to beat the third by playing two handed but I only tried a few times. With enough perseverance it's probably doable.

If I'm only going to be able to beat the first quest that means I will have to buy expansions or a saga box. I like dwarves alot so should I buy one of the Hobbit expansions or Khazad Dum? I know I need Return to Mirkwood. My wife really wants to try the Hobbit saga but I thought I would ask here first.
I did read the link someone posted about what to buy but just wanted to double check with Gaf.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If I'm only going to be able to beat the first quest that means I will have to buy expansions or a saga box. I like dwarves alot so should I buy one of the Hobbit expansions or Khazad Dum? I know I need Return to Mirkwood. My wife really wants to try the Hobbit saga but I thought I would ask here first.
I did read the link someone posted about what to buy but just wanted to double check with Gaf.

What I've been reading is that Mirkwood + The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill = Dwarf starter. Khazad-Dum appears to be a great compliment to those.

Also, straight from the buying guide:

Postscript: Ok, ok, thanks for the buying guide, but I only have around $45-$60 to spend. Just tell me what to buy!

If you are looking for strong cards and like Dwarves then… buy The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill and Return to Mirkwood. Then when you have enough, buy Khazad-Dum.

If you are looking for strong cards and like Noldor Elves then… buy Khazad Dum, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame.

If you are looking for strong cards and like Silvan Elvens then… buy Voice of Isengard, The Dunland Trap, and Trouble in Tharbad.

If you are looking for strong cards and like Rohan then… buy Voice of Isengard, The Dunland Trap, and one of the Shadows of Mirkwood Adventure Packs

If you are looking for strong cards and like Gondor/Outlands then… buy Heirs of Numenor, The Steward’s Fear, and possibly Assault on Osgiliath.

If you are looking for strong cards and like Hobbits then… buy The Black Riders and The Dead Marshes.

If you are looking for fun quests to play then… buy Khazad Dum, The Watcher in the Water, and Foundations of Stone. Alternatively, buy the two Hobbit boxes or The Black Riders and The Road Darkens.

Dreavus

BattleCON War Remastered arrived the other day from KS. I am greatly intimidated by the number of sleeves I'll need for this thing.

Got Churchill to the table this week. Amazingly fascinating game; not enough good 3 player titles out there. With a couple more plays, I could foresee this becoming a frontrunner for game of the year.

CPkOQCwUAAw1TQQ.jpg

Ugh, I need to get this to the table soon.

Blizzard

Banned
The first 2 games of 1v1 Dominion Seaside were a success. I won both games by 1 point. When lots of cards start chaining it can get confusing and slow down a bit, though.

I feel the art isn't quite as nice as the original Dominion cards, and there isn't a good place to put the pirate ship / island / native village boards, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

daevv

Only my brother in law was able to make it to my house for board games and Thursday Night Football so it was time for some head to head games.

First we played the new Star Wars Risk. It created a lot of stress towards the end when he had only 5 rebel ships left and I was chasing him around the board. I destroyed 2 of his 3 B Wings on my turn, he dropped the Death Star shields on his, I missed the final B Wing on mine, he the rolled a 6 on one dice to blow up the Death Star and win. Lots of fun.

Next we played the new Magic the Gathering Arena game. We both played Magic for years but at the start found it hard to keep track of everything going on between creature abilities, enchantments, movement, range and the like. Towards the end of the game we got the hang of it. He used the green elf archers very effectively and destroyed me and my zombies. We never played Heroscape but can now see the appeal of it. I think a 4 way free for all would be chaos. Fun game, surprised how quick it can play too.

Last game we played was Battle Line. My wife and I like and play this one quite a bit and he was wondering about getting it for his wife to play. We played without the tactics deck and it was a close game with him winning. I do not get AP much in games but I always do in this one as on my turn I'm checking almost all the cards played and in my hand before laying one. Great 2 player card game.

Towards the end of the night I showed him my newest acquisition Twilight Struggle and he freaked out as he is dying to play it. We agreed to watch and rematch the great hour and ten minute tutorial on YouTube while reading the rule book before our first game. I've watched the vid once so far before I decided to buy it and it really helped. Will read the rule book before I watch it again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Towards the end of the night I showed him my newest acquisition Twilight Struggle and he freaked out as he is dying to play it. We agreed to watch and rematch the great hour and ten minute tutorial on YouTube while reading the rule book before our first game. I've watched the vid once so far before I decided to buy it and it really helped. Will read the rule book before I watch it again.

You may also want to read these:

http://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/14/general-strategy-events-vs-operatios/
http://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/12/general-strategy-defcon/

And then after a play or two, these:

http://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/15/general-strategy-reshuffles/
http://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/12/general-strategy-turn-1/
http://twilightstrategy.com/2012/03/15/general-strategy-ar7-plays/
http://twilightstrategy.com/2013/01/11/general-strategy-realignments/

Don't worry too much about the other strategy articles yet until you get more playthroughs down, but if you both have time to read through the whole thing and are interested I suggest you get the ebook version of the website (which is free!):

https://leanpub.com/twilightstrategy

You can read through the general strategy stuff and don't worry about the card specific info until you get better familiar with all the cards.

Mr E.

You can read through the general strategy stuff and don't worry about the card specific info until you get better familiar with all the cards.
Part of the fun for me is finding out strategies on my own. Lengthens the games value too. If both players are starting on the same experience with the game they should be fine.

Mangrovia arrived today. Our new "Family" game with a bit of depth for gamers too. Gates of Loyang and Scoundrels of Skullport are presents for my wife. Acquiring quite a bit of late.

Faiz

My wife and I have decided we have a hole in our collection that needs filling. Lately we have very little time for long drawn out games. Some favorites haven't been on the table in months.

We want to get at least 2-3 more quick (under an hour including setup), competitive games that play well with two, if not designed specifically for two, and involve at least a moderate level of strategy.

We've been playing a lot of Splendor and Carcasonne lately. I'm planning on getting Patchwork when it's available again at a reasonable price. Any favorites you'd care to share?

My wife and I have decided we have a hole in our collection that needs filling. Lately we have very little time for long drawn out games. Some favorites haven't been on the table in months.

We want to get at least 2-3 more quick (under an hour including setup), competitive games that play well with two, if not designed specifically for two, and involve at least a moderate level of strategy.

We've been playing a lot of Splendor and Carcasonne lately. I'm planning on getting Patchwork when it's available again at a reasonable price. Any favorites you'd care to share?
Played Star Realms?

Blizzard

Banned

I play a fair bit of 1v1 games which can get stale fast if strategies are the same every time. We do still play Splendor. I like Race for the Galaxy, Tzolk'in is reasonable if you're into worker placement, and our newest experiment is diving into Dominion. It's a few years old, but even the classic game is decent. Dominion + Seaside gives a ton more variety. Even when we played slowly it might have finished in an hour or less, and every game is going to have a different set of cards out.

Musan

I would say give Jaipur a try. Otherwise, I would agree with Race for the Galaxy, if you wife likes it. There is a huge variety in strategies, and can play fast.

Blizzard

Banned
I felt like Race for the Galaxy could take longer, though some of that is learning/relearning the symbols until you're used to them. It's a learning curve at first.

Dominion is fast (30-60 minutes), and Tzolk'in can be slower (90 minutes).

fenners

I felt like Race for the Galaxy could take longer, though some of that is learning/relearning the symbols until you're used to them. It's a learning curve at first.

Dominion is fast (30-60 minutes), and Tzolk'in can be slower (90 minutes).

Once you know the symbols, a game of Race can take as short as 15 minutes, depending on the deal. We regularly get two games over lunch, but we know the symbols.

Girlfriend and I usually play Jaipur or Gloom for an easy going "board game breakfast".
I think Gloom works much better as a 2 player game.

Nudull

Banned
Hey everyone! I recently got into tabletop gaming, mostly thanks to D&D and Pathfinder, but haven't dipped too much into board gaming over the years. I don't have much friends to play with on my end, but I'd love to expand my horizons.

Mr E.

Jambo/Asante. Essentially the same game. Trading for two.

Targi. Worker placement two player.

Battle line. Lost cities. Port Royal. San Juan. Biblios. All card game variants that my wife and I play.

All play in under an hour and have some thinking involved. Lost cities being the quickest to set up and play. Around 15 mins a game.

San Juan is an easier equivalent to Race for the Galaxy. I actually enjoy it more.

Lyng

Jambo/Asante. Essentially the same game. Trading for two.

Targi. Worker placement two player.

Battle line. Lost cities. Port Royal. San Juan. Biblios. All card game variants that my wife and I play.

All play in under an hour and have some thinking involved. Lost cities being the quickest to set up and play. Around 15 mins a game.

San Juan is an easier equivalent to Race for the Galaxy. I actually enjoy it more.

Yeah Jambo/Asante is amazing.

Would recommend Theseus aswell. Fast to setup and highly strategical.

Faiz

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Unfortunately a few appear to be OOP but I'll keep an open for reprint announcements. I may try for a euro printing of Targi.

I just got back from playing Port Royal and Coup both of which are beloved by my little gaming group I have the pleasure of playing with at least twice a week.

I am yet to play the former in two player but that has already been recommended and I see no reason why it wouldn't work well so heartily endorse this as an option. The expansion is coming out next month too so it would be an opportune time to pick it up.

One of our three had to leave after a couple of games of Coup however so I did get to play a good ten or so games of that in two player over 20-30 minutes. This worked very well I am delighted to say so this too gets a hearty endorsement from me.

Port Royal gives you indirect conflict but Coup gives you direct conflict so your bases would be covered there depending on your mood on that particular day.

Hopefully those suggestions tick all the boxes for you but whatever you decide to pick up I wish you both happy gaming :).

Played Istanbul. Seems alright but not worth the time given the limited player interaction.

Also played Sushi Go! and Codenames, which was fun. Oh, and Resistance which like those types of games is very dependent on the dynamics of your group.

Found a copy of the Star Wars CCG (introductory 2 player game version) in great condition at a thrift shop for $10 today. Has anyone played this? I know it's out of print but there are expansions still being released online.

Nudull

Banned
Found a copy of the Star Wars CCG (introductory 2 player game version) in great condition at a thrift shop for $10 today. Has anyone played this? I know it's out of print but there are expansions still being released online.

Oh, interesting. Wasn't it notorious for being riddled with a super-complex set of rules and systems to follow, though?

Oh, interesting. Wasn't it notorious for being riddled with a super-complex set of rules and systems to follow, though?

I briefly went over the rule book, and it seems a bit daunting. Disclaimer: I've never played a CCG before, though I have been getting into Dicemasters (just the solo variant I found online) recently.

Blizzard

Banned
Played Istanbul. Seems alright but not worth the time given the limited player interaction.
A friend and I kind of liked how Istanbul changes each game because of the random tile layout. Even with 2 players it might mix up things a little, and with 4+ players things definitely seemed varied.

The limited player interaction is actually nice for some people because some people may not like having active "screw you" or "hurt X player" mechanics as opposed to everyone working on their own thing. You can still slow down your opponents by buying mosque tiles so the price goes up, or blocking tiles they want to use so they have to pay you money, or avoiding sending their family member back so they're stranded somewhere.

7 Wonders is another example of a game with limited player interaction, at least in the base game -- you can only do something with one card as the hand passes by you, and you only have to worry about your 2 neighbors for resources and battle. And yet, I think a lot of people enjoy it and it's a decent game even without active conflict.

Blizzard

Banned
I remember seeing Istanbul once at a local game store. Was curious about it, but no one wanted to play.
For a long time, I've had a TODO note to make a post about Istanbul and gameplay impressions. Who knows if I'll ever end up doing it. =P

The one big concern I had was in 2-player games, most layouts seemed to hugely favor rushing for the dice-cheating mosque card, and whoever got there and started sitting at the tea house first typically had a big advantage since the other player couldn't effectively use either dice tile without getting two wheelbarrow unlocks to buy the more expensive mosque card.

A friend and I kind of liked how Istanbul changes each game because of the random tile layout. Even with 2 players it might mix up things a little, and with 4+ players things definitely seemed varied.

The limited player interaction is actually nice for some people because some people may not like having active "screw you" or "hurt X player" mechanics as opposed to everyone working on their own thing. You can still slow down your opponents by buying mosque tiles so the price goes up, or blocking tiles they want to use so they have to pay you money, or avoiding sending their family member back so they're stranded somewhere.

7 Wonders is another example of a game with limited player interaction, at least in the base game -- you can only do something with one card as the hand passes by you, and you only have to worry about your 2 neighbors for resources and battle. And yet, I think a lot of people enjoy it and it's a decent game even without active conflict.
It was poor criticism. I didn't find the theme or mechanics all that engaging for me.

I went to a really cool (and huge) comics and game shop. So many things I want at the MSRP. :| In a sense, I guess it's like donating to them if you buy there.

Nudull

Banned
Does anyone here play deck-building card games regularly? I have been a fan of trading card gaming for a long time, but the out-of-the-box games tend to feel alien, but interesting. I've tried Naruto Shippuden, Call of Cthulhu and the DC game, and I've had some fun with all three (though the Naruto ruleset seemed unnecessarily complicated).

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone here play deck-building card games regularly? I have been a fan of trading card gaming for a long time, but the out-of-the-box games tend to feel alien, but interesting. I've tried Naruto Shippuden, Call of Cthulhu and the DC game, and I've had some fun with all three (though the Naruto ruleset seemed unnecessarily complicated).
I think I heard someone saying a Naruto game was pretty similar to Dominion, so maybe that's the one.

Besides playing a lot of Dominion, I played a zombie one once (Resident Evil?), and I like Valley of the Kings for a super compact deck builder with a reasonably fun theme. In my opinion, naturally. :p

Nudull

Banned
I think I heard someone saying a Naruto game was pretty similar to Dominion, so maybe that's the one.

Besides playing a lot of Dominion, I played a zombie one once (Resident Evil?), and I like Valley of the Kings for a super compact deck builder with a reasonably fun theme. In my opinion, naturally. :p

I think I remember playing a demo of a Resident Evil card game at another store, actually. Would've been fun to have around.

If it's the one by decipher, I used to play it competitively. It was a really good game but yes the rule is pretty daunting. The games suffered from decipher stubbornly adhere to anything go (no card limits in a deck) and then refused to ban abusive cards (instead they just constantly try to fix problem with silver bullet. I still have boxes and boxes of cards in my garage.

There was a good cult following of the game (it is a good game at its core) that make their own cards and host tournament after Decipher went belly up. I don't know if they are still active.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I still play Ascension a lot. The newest expansions have been a lot of fun. Worth checking out.

Quick note: DC Deck Builder, Naruto Deck Builder and many more are part of the "cryptozoic system" of deck builders or whatever it's called. They technically can be used together but I wouldn't recommend it. It's worth noting just as most of those deck builders are very similar in nature with one or two main gameplay changes

I've probably played more of DC Deck Builder than any other person on the planet. I'm not stating this as to mean it's the best deck builder out there, simply the one I enjoy the best. Most other people I've met/talked to prefer Dominion or Ascension.

Deck Builders I've Played in order of Most Played

DC Deck Builder, Star Realms and Ascension are all the same style of Deck Builder in that there is a "bank" [row of cards to buy from that changes as you buy cards] and all players compete to score the most points [or in star realms, kill the other players]. DC Deck Builder is probably the most naturally unbalanced deck builder of all I have listed however I find the lore/theme the most interesting. Star Realms is more balanced then DC and faster with a theme of space combat, it's also a cheaper investment to get started. Ascension is probably slightly more expensive than DC and takes a bit longer to set up and play, with a theme of Dungeons and Dragons kind of.

Best Played With: DC Deck Builder (3-4 players, okay with 2) ; Star Realms (2 players, never played with more) ; Ascension (3-4 players, never played with 2)

Set-Up Time: Star Realms (fastest) -> DC Deck Builder -> Ascension

Play Time: Star Realms (shortest) -> DC Deck Builder -> Ascension

Balanced: Ascension (Most balanced) -> Star Realms -> DC Deck Builder

Marvels Legendary and Xenoshyft Onslaught are slightly different in that there is some cooperative play involved. In Legendary, all players are trying to collectively defeat a supervillain but at the end of the game one player will win by having the most points. In Xenoshyft, it's 100% cooperative, you live and die as a team. The theme for Xenoshyft is basically Starship troopers. To build your deck in Legendary, you have a "bank" much like the games mentioned previously which gets refilled as individual cards are bought. With Xenoshyft however you start with something like 9 possible item cards you can use to build your deck and 3 unit cards with more unit cards being unlocked to buy as you progress through the game.

Best Played With: Legendary (3-4 players, fine with 2) ; Xenoshyft (3/4 players, fine but hard to win with 2)

Set-Up Time: Xenoshyft (fastest) -> Legendary (takes quite a while)

Play Time: Legendary (shortest but not by much) -> Xenoshyft

Balanced: Xenoshyft (Most Balanced) -> Legendary

Dominion is the original deck building game and still played and enjoyed by many. I have yet to get into it or play it at all but always mean to.

These are solely my opinion on the games and likely not all in line with general wisdom

Played Cosmic Encounter for the first time last night. It was pretty rad. Best moments:

1. Me having 3 negotiate cards, convincing the guy I was against to negotiate, attacking instead, then having him pick 2 of the 3 negotiate cards as compensation
  2. Him then using his trader powers to switch our hands since I'd completely forgot about that
  3. My other friend convincing him to negotiate, only to let the timer run out since he was the Vacuum and could do a rather large amount of damage by taking the hit (for every ship he lost, he could make someone else lose a ship). He then was a massive dick and took my ships even though I was an innocent bystander.
We have renamed it Cosmic Dickery as we feel that is a more appropriate name.

Had a couple of games of Netrunner too, started trying out different factions. My friend who was a massive dick before Scorched Earth'd me twice in one turn. So he's still a massive dick.

The place we were playing also had Castles Of Mad King Ludwig which I thought sounded pretty great when I heard about it, so I picked that up. I was also tempted by Adventure Time Love Letter because I am a lame nerd who rly likes Adventure Time. IT COMES IN A JAKE BAG.

Board games are great. I am liking this new hobby.

Bleh. Target doesn't have anything I really want. But I might kick myself if I don't take advantage of the deal. Dominion, Fire Point, and Pandemic are what I might get.

Nudull

Banned
Bleh. Target doesn't have anything I really want. But I might kick myself if I don't take advantage of the deal. Dominion, Fire Point, and Pandemic are what I might get.

I always forget that Target has a broad selection. Then again, my local one is always scarce on most everything. :/

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for letting me know there was a deal going on and sorry I potentially stole your copy of Dominion???

Wonder if they make an apology card that specific...
Here's the closest premade image + text I could find on short notice.
quote-i-m-truly-sorryeyj59.jpg

On a Dominion note, I played 3 games yesterday with 2, 3, and 4 players, and a mix of Seaside/Dominion cards depending on the game, and they worked pretty well though I feel like my friend and I are the only ones who REALLY like the game, and other people are just okay with it. Ironically, my friend and I never beat these other people. I finally got to play gardens once and only lost by 2 points, but rushing lots of cards was funny in that case. I lost all 3 games but wasn't even that sad about losing, and I feel like that's the sign of a game I truly like -- I feel the same way about Libertalia and maybe Race for the Galaxy. I probably have a bad habit of not having much fun if I'm losing in a lot of games.

The only recent negative note was playing a 2-player game with Treasure Map today. It's a 4-cost card that gives you 4 gold instantly on top of your deck to draw the next turn if you have two Treasure Maps in your hand. You have to play one and trash them both to get the gold, of course. However, it seemed to me in a 2-player game, when treasure map is out, buying nothing but treasure maps / silver / gold is the optimal strategy, and/or pure silver/gold, and nothing else can come close.

Hopefully I'm just misreading the strategy and odds and am totally wrong though. :p I did look at a wiki page for dominion which mentions they can be a trap in some cases. My main concern is that I want to be able to use at least 2-3 kingdom cards (that aren't just treasure maps) with pretty much any table layout, without getting crushed by pure money.

Top Bottom