• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To put them ON a spell or focus, yes. But the board game version rules allow you to readd those dice to your pool before a roll if you wish. Once they're purple (denoting focus or spelled), I attempted to tap and drag in all sorts of configurations to no avail.
It's really not much like the board game, but I actually kinda like it better. Until you get totally randomly screwed at certain points in the adventure. Absolutely brutal.

Mista Koo

I've received both Libertalia and Dixit.

Libertalia was fun, although a bit more confusing than I expected. When I have 9 options each with a lot of text on them I can't really strategize well without taking way too long. But it has a lot of "oh no you didn't" moments especially for a game where everyone has the same cards.
I had some trouble explaining the rules since I've never actually played it before. I'm always bad at explaining new games.

Dixit was great. I was worried that it would get too reference heavy, especially with 3 guys who knew each other way more than the rest of us. But it was so fun and random and magical.
I definitely need to pick up an expansion since the cards are too few to be played with 6. I wonder if I should get the standalone version of Odyssey for the better bunnies and 12 players play? Although I've heard that the voting mechanism is unusable, maybe I should stick with 6 anyway. Edit: I should probably pick Quest/2.

I've also played Lords of Waterdeep for the first time. It's way lighter than I expected it to be or the way it presents itself(?). Which makes it the perfect worker placement game for my family (hidden cards with English text aside). I might have actually won if I haven't misplaced a worker or two last round.

Funnily enough I've ended up in 2nd place in all of these, although I did play and win Cosmic Encounter after those.
What makes it even better is the fact that I was falling behind and thought I had no chance of winning in both Cosmic Encounter and Libertalia

Played Dead of Winter tonight. It was pretty fun. There are a lot of interesting ideas in the game that work really well. We successfully completed the objective and 3 of us achieved our secret missions. We successfully voted out one of our mates and it was all good fun. Look forward to trying it again sometime.

JSR_Cube

Dead of Winter is currently my favorite co-op. I think that it is complex but not overly so and has a good amount of theme as well.

The theme is great. There is a lot going on but also not complex. I successfully completed my secret objective on my last turn by sending the stunt dog to search the school for a book. Fantastic.

Ok second day of Essen over for me. So far I have picked up the following:

Concordia Expansion
Mascarade Expansion
Cash and Guns Second Edition
Colt Express
Council of Verona with Poison Expansion

Tomorrow I will check out Robin, [redacted] and Frankenstein's Bodies.

I got an explanation of [] today and it sounds really cool but I need to try it first before I pick it up. Frankenstein's Bodies just made my try list because of the Geek Buzz. Also people seems to really like Among the Stars. Maybe I should check that out as well.

Just wondering, have you seen the 2 new Pandemic games? I'm interested in those, but would like to see what people think.

Xater

Just wondering, have you seen the 2 new Pandemic games? I'm interested in those, but would like to see what people think.

I was interested in Pandemic: The Cure but it's only out in English so I skipped it. Sorry.

Some more Stuff I picked up today:

Dragon Slayer
Lost Legacy: The Starship
Frankenstein's Bodies

I really have to thank the Geek Buzz list for Frankenstein's Bodies. It's a really morbid theme but it also feels very fresh. you are basically trying to create bodies that will impress Dr. Frankenstein. It's basically a set collection game but it's really fun because of the interaction that happens between the players. You can like steal body parts from laboratories of the other players but then they become infected so you have to deal with that otherwise they score no points. You can also deflect stealing actions and then decide on what they actually have to steal. I tried it just once in a 3 player set up and bought it immediately afterwards.

Also I did not like [redacted]. It sounds like a super enjoyable game but since almost every interaction is a double blind one it just turns into too much to keep track of. I also really wasn't impressed by the production. The board felt cheap and the cards even cheaper with how flimsy they are. All the cards from the demo game I played were already all kinds of messed up which also sucks, because I can imagine that people will after a while see the scuffed up backs as markings and then know which card is which.

Council of Verona with Poison Expansion
I heard and played it the first time today and I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately it was sold out. :-/

My pick-ups were:
Warhammer 40.000: Relic
Warhammer 40.000: Conquest
Warhammer 40.000: Space Hulk
Star Wars RPG Edge of the Empire: Beginner's set.

Most of them were cheaper than prices at cheap German online stores, so they were no-brainers for me. I cannot wait to try them all out.

Xater

I heard and played it the first time today and I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately it was sold out. :-/

My pick-ups were:
Warhammer 40.000: Relic
Warhammer 40.000: Conquest
Warhammer 40.000: Space Hulk
Star Wars RPG Edge of the Empire: Beginner's set.

Most of them were cheaper than prices at cheap German online stores, so they were no-brainers for me. I cannot wait to try them all out.

Oh that sucks. I was extra lucky because guy at the booth was super friendly. Saw I was working for an exhibitor and got Verona for 7€.

Also that's a lot of Warhammer 40k games. Space Hulk is great though and Conquest as well from what I have heard.

I am kicking myself for not picking up Among the Stars today. I won't be able to go to the fair again tomorrow. If you are still there tomorrow seriously check out Frankenstein's Bodies. I did not get to try out a huge amount of games but this one really did it for me.

EYEL1NER

Today I took D-Day Dice and Space Hulk: Death Angel with me to work, hoping to learn them in my free-time and maybe run through them once or twice. I think I'll need to find a video tutorial for D-Day Dice, because I was struggling with that rule book. I went through the Space Hulk: Death Angel rules and thought that I understood that one really well, mostly due to to Rahdo's video that I mentioned a few pages back. So I read the rules and a couple reference sheets, then pulled the rules up on the computer and opened the rules, so I could read the order of play on the screen and flip in the book to sections it called out.

Rolled a B/Y/R squad and didn't do too bad with it, though I understand I lot of people feel Y is a bit OP. It took me about an hour and a half to finish the objectives on the last card (empty both blip piles and kill everyone), but I had already lost before that. Very close to end I had a stream of zeros that I was rolling while defending. I lost one yellow dude and was fine with that, but when i had some shitty luck and would have lost both reds and the other yellow, I ended up saying "Fuck those results, I lost but I am going to re-roll and keep going." So I gave up pretty much but I pressed on since I was having a good time. I was doing really well throughout, until the dice failed me.

I wound up returning up here to find myself on day shift and the guys I game with on nights, so I don't know when I will get to any of the stuff I brought up here or have in the mail on the way (my day off is Thursday, so maybe then), but j am really looking forward to playing it with multiple people. I normally dislike playing multiple people's moves when I want to play a game solo that was clearly designed for more people, but juggling three squads worked really well. I laid the 9 action cards out on that table like Rahdo did in his video and used each colors Squad Token to denote which action I was taking, so I wouldn't accidentally choose the same one on the next turn.

Really fun game. I am tempted to pick up the four PoD expansions already, though I know I should get some more games in of the base before adding to it (and especially with three of the expansions that make it more difficult).

Now I am really looking forward to getting home again in a couple months and playing that copy of Space Hulk that I left sitting on my dining room table.

Some shots from our Dead of Winter game last night. This is at the beginning of the game. Both my guys are sitting down on the job back at the colony.

AyaUBh3.jpg

TE8E6jQ.jpg

Oh that sucks. I was extra lucky because guy at the booth was super friendly. Saw I was working for an exhibitor and got Verona for 7€.

Also that's a lot of Warhammer 40k games. Space Hulk is great though and Conquest as well from what I have heard.

I am kicking myself for not picking up Among the Stars today. I won't be able to go to the fair again tomorrow. If you are still there tomorrow seriously check out Frankenstein's Bodies. I did not get to try out a huge amount of games but this one really did it for me.
I compared prices with the cheapest German online retailer I know and Space Hulk and Relic had been pretty cheap.

I wanted to buy King Of New York, but 35€ is too much for me, when I could get the game for 27€ online already. Zombie 15 was on my list as well, but it is available for 40€ online, too. So I skipped both.

Another game I played was Steam Park. It was fun to play, but the price was too much to pick it up. When I will find it in the 25 area, it will most likely get picked up.

Xater

I compared prices with the cheapest German online retailer I know and Space Hulk and Relic had been pretty cheap.

I wanted to buy King Of New York, but 35€ is too much for me, when I could get the game for 27€ online already. Zombie 15 was on my list as well, but it is available for 40€ online, too. So I skipped both.

Another game I played was Steam Park. It was fun to play, but the price was too much to pick it up. When I will find it in the 25 area, it will most likely get picked up.

Did you try Zombie 15? I didn't get a chance to try it myself but I am curious about it.

Xater

Picked up two more games. Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Strife. The demos convinced me. Overall this was a very good Spiel I would say.

Neverfade

I regret not finding a way to snag Alchemists. And a couple others.

At least most of the things I'm interested in seem to have a pretty short turn around until they're stateside.

Xater

I regret not finding a way to snag Alchemists. And a couple others.

At least most of the things I'm interested in seem to have a pretty short turn around until they're stateside.

Hey I said in this thread I would have bought stuff. Alchemist would have been easy for me to pick up.

Gotta say I am quite surprised to see Age of Soccer so high on the Geek Buzz. Maybe I should have checked that out today as well, but I really only wanted to clean up a few things because I was already tired because of the previous 3 days.

Experien

Started gluing my first batch of minis from Shadows of Brimstone. Still got 15 more from the first box :/

Only cut myself once and I lost an arm to a bad guy but he is a zombie type so I sort of shrugged it off and said that I have to have a zombie with no arm! No clue where I am going to store them so my roommate's cats don't try to get at them. I guess in a cabinet?

I still think it is BS that all of the characters are unassembled. Zombicide's figures at about the same size (base is different) and probably have even more detail. Makes this game seem lazy to me. I suppose it does give you a little more pride in your game. Who knows when I'll finish it and learn how to play the game though. I got XIA and Myth to play this week(end).

Draxal

Anyone played Super Dungeon Explorer? Looks really fun. Is it good for a casual audience / worth $140 AUD?

The 2.0 version of the game is coming out soon Forgotten King.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1257458293/super-dungeon-explore-forgotten-king

I'd hold off on getting the game until that comes out as Forgotten King changes the game a ton.

The other chibi dungeon crawl game Arcadia Quest has gotten pretty good reviews (Tom Vasel loves it) and it's coming out really really soon (.ie I'm expecting my kickstartered copy to come in a couple of weeks.

Dreavus

Today I took D-Day Dice and Space Hulk: Death Angel with me to work, hoping to learn them in my free-time and maybe run through them once or twice. I think I'll need to find a video tutorial for D-Day Dice, because I was struggling with that rule book. I went through the Space Hulk: Death Angel rules and thought that I understood that one really well, mostly due to to Rahdo's video that I mentioned a few pages back. So I read the rules and a couple reference sheets, then pulled the rules up on the computer and opened the rules, so I could read the order of play on the screen and flip in the book to sections it called out.

Rolled a B/Y/R squad and didn't do too bad with it, though I understand I lot of people feel Y is a bit OP. It took me about an hour and a half to finish the objectives on the last card (empty both blip piles and kill everyone), but I had already lost before that. Very close to end I had a stream of zeros that I was rolling while defending. I lost one yellow dude and was fine with that, but when i had some shitty luck and would have lost both reds and the other yellow, I ended up saying "Fuck those results, I lost but I am going to re-roll and keep going." So I gave up pretty much but I pressed on since I was having a good time. I was doing really well throughout, until the dice failed me.

I wound up returning up here to find myself on day shift and the guys I game with on nights, so I don't know when I will get to any of the stuff I brought up here or have in the mail on the way (my day off is Thursday, so maybe then), but j am really looking forward to playing it with multiple people. I normally dislike playing multiple people's moves when I want to play a game solo that was clearly designed for more people, but juggling three squads worked really well. I laid the 9 action cards out on that table like Rahdo did in his video and used each colors Squad Token to denote which action I was taking, so I wouldn't accidentally choose the same one on the next turn.

Really fun game. I am tempted to pick up the four PoD expansions already, though I know I should get some more games in of the base before adding to it (and especially with three of the expansions that make it more difficult).

Now I am really looking forward to getting home again in a couple months and playing that copy of Space Hulk that I left sitting on my dining room table.

SH:DA is pretty fun but it is prone to being pretty damn swingy like that, which I guess is just the nature of the game. I like that it is possible to play solo but I am always waaay too tempted to cheat playing solitaire, haha.

Xater

Oh yesterday I also got to try Black Fleet. I was pretty excited about this one but once I actually played it I thought it's only ok. It's not as fun and chaotic as I thought it would be. After watching the SU&SD review today it confirmed to me that I really shouldn't get it and I bought Survive instead. That seems to be more the fun and chaotic game I am looking for.

Rivet Wars is another game I got to try and I looooooved that game. Great easy and quick miniatures game for 2 players. The rules might in fact be even easier than the ones from Memoir. Sadly the price tag made me not get it. Cheapest price at the fair was 70€ and I just can#t justify that for a single game.

Played King of Tokyo with the wife and kids about 5-6 times over the weekend. This was my wife's first time playing. After the very first game, she was on the fence. After the second game, she was all in. It was actually her idea to play 2 games in a row last night.

The last game of the night had some remarkable turns. I was taken out due to a flurry of attacks from my daughter who had Tokyo. My wife was really close to winning on points, but on her turn she second guessed herself and rolled for the wrong stat. My daughter killed her easily, then it was just my daughters who went back and forth between attacking and defending. I bet it went another 8 rounds, rapid fire style. My oldest won, but barely. It could have gone either way during the last turn. She won by 1 point and they both had 2 health remaining.

My youngest has the luckiest rolls I have ever seen. She should have been dead right along side me but she kept rolling an insane amount of health regen every turn. I need to take her to Vegas!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone tried out Roll Through The Ages: The Iron Age? Seems relatively deep compared to RttA, especially with the expansion.

Karkador

Banned
HALLOWEEN IS UPON US.

What's your Halloween gaming playlist looking like?

My rough list so far:

• Mascarade
  • Cat & Chocolate (horror-themed storytelling game)
  • Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
  • Tragedy Looper
  • A Study in Emerald
  • Werewolf?

I don't feel like I have a definitive Halloween game

Draxal

HALLOWEEN IS UPON US.

My rough list so far:

• Mascarade
  • Tragedy Looper
  • A Study in Emerald
  • Werewolf?

King of Tokyo with the Halloween Monsters/costume cards.

Chorazin

Joined a Board Game Meetup group, going to my first meetup Saturday night and taking Dead of Winter. Nothing says friend making like suspicion and betrayer mechanics!

Mista Koo

Received Get Bit's "play as the shark" promo/expansion as well as Dixit 2/Quest.
I'm working on a small scoreboard so I can carry all Dixit components inside the smaller box.

HALLOWEEN IS UPON US.

My rough list so far:

• Mascarade
  • Tragedy Looper
  • A Study in Emerald
  • Werewolf?

I only have Fearsome Floors, which I've yet to play.
Maybe Betrayal at the House on the Hill and Last Night on Earth too as they are available in our group.

Edit: Technically I have Zombie dice, but we've only played it once.

Xater

HALLOWEEN IS UPON US.

My rough list so far:

• Mascarade
  • Tragedy Looper
  • A Study in Emerald
  • Werewolf?

Cosmic Encounter
Frankenstein's Bodies

I'll probably pick up Letters of Whitechapel for that as well.

fenners

Halloween gaming? Zombicide this week, and the crew at work has asked me to run another game of Arkham Horror before Halloween too. Woot.

Phthisis

So I spent 3 days at GMT Games' HQ in California this past weekend for their GMT Warehouse event where they invite fans to come in and play games, both whatever they want, and to help playtest new stuff that's in development (which includes meeting the designers and development teams).

It was a blast.

I would say 50% of the warehouse floor was dedicated to new COIN games that are in various stages of completion. Iron Butterfly (Philippines) was there, as was Gallic War and Liberty or Death, and there was a new, unannounced one as well that covers the fall of Roman Britain.

Got a chance to try most of them; Gallic War is going to be huge. It's really accessible, really fast-moving, and really fun. Plus people love them some ancients. I also got a chance to talk at length with the original system designer Volko Ruhnke about a lot of stuff. He's a really smart, personable guy.

Some various photos:

10644116_704325576319835_2865312065722641845_o.jpg

10636725_704325769653149_8773508442234205177_o.jpg

10649030_704325719653154_4156009201726557515_o.jpg

Machi Koro arrived over the weekend, and I was able to play it last night for the first time.

Really enjoyed it. It reminds me of Dominion in a way, and my son likes that, and it helped getting him to play.

Question. We have about 4-5 Wheatfield cards that do not have the purchase price on the bottom left corner. Did anyone else have that happen?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Machi Koro arrived over the weekend, and I was able to play it last night for the first time.

Really enjoyed it. It reminds me of Dominion in a way, and my son likes that, and it helped getting him to play.

Question. We have about 4-5 Wheatfield cards that do not have the purchase price on the bottom left corner. Did anyone else have that happen?
That's because those are for your starting tableau.

So I spent 3 days at GMT Games' HQ in California this past weekend for their GMT Warehouse event where they invite fans to come in and play games, both whatever they want, and to help playtest new stuff that's in development (which includes meeting the designers and development teams).

It was a blast.

I would say 50% of the warehouse floor was dedicated to new COIN games that are in various stages of completion. Iron Butterfly (Philippines) was there, as was Gallic War and Liberty or Death, and there was a new, unannounced one as well that covers the fall of Roman Britain.

Got a chance to try most of them; Gallic War is going to be huge. It's really accessible, really fast-moving, and really fun. Plus people love them some ancients. I also got a chance to talk at length with the original system designer Volko Ruhnke about a lot of stuff. He's a really smart, personable guy.

Some various photos:

10644116_704325576319835_2865312065722641845_o.jpg

10636725_704325769653149_8773508442234205177_o.jpg

10649030_704325719653154_4156009201726557515_o.jpg
Drooling over here. I'm excited for Gallic War, but I'm dying to get my hands on Libert or Death.

Received my copy of Machi Koro too. Can't wait to play it, absolutely love the art on the game, great job stooge.

Only downside, I'm absolutely disgusted by how unnecessarily big the box is. Even if it adds 5 expansions, it has a lot of unnecessary extra room. Board games take so much space I wish publishers were more conscious about this.

Who likes games with big boxes? I assume retailers are happier with smaller boxes since they take less storage/shelf space and are cheaper to ship. Same for international buyers for whom the size of the game is a huge factor.

Phthisis

Drooling over here. I'm excited for Gallic War, but I'm dying to get my hands on Libert or Death.

I was of the same mind, but I have to tell you Gallic War is the most fun I've had playing the system out of all the games I've had time with. It is incredibly fast, incredibly bloody, and it changes some of the core rules in ways that give each faction individually overpowered abilities (thanks to leaders), so it ends up feeling less like gridlock and more swingy (in a really satisfying way). Where Fire in the Lake is a quagmire, by design given how the Vietnam war was, Gallic War is a blitzkrieg.

Liberty or Death is still undergoing some balancing and design changes. We were playing with some variant rules whereby the appearance of a Propaganda (called Winter Quarters) on top of the deck cancels the current event that's active. They're also still tweaking the victory conditions for each "team", and the Native American faction is still being messed with to get them up to snuff. It's still good, don't get me wrong, but Gallic War impressed me a lot more.

With all that said...

De Excidio Brittaniae (placeholder name for now), the one about the end of Roman rule in Britain, blew me away. Some of the stuff the designer Marc is implementing into the system is genius. There's a whole risk/reward wager mechanic for Barbarian raids, there's a Roman political track representing the collapse of the empire, which can actually change the victory condition of one of the factions midway through the game. But my favorite of all is that you can give up victory points to hire mercenaries from the barbarian players, who then have to give you some of their units for you to control. but they can also change sides if you don't pay them during Propaganda rounds. It's doing stuff I never thought the COIN system would do (sieges, terrain modifiers for not only combat, but for victory conditions), it's really going to open some eyes about how powerful the core framework can be for adapting different conflicts and historical periods.

I was of the same mind, but I have to tell you Gallic War is the most fun I've had playing the system out of all the games I've had time with. It is incredibly fast, incredibly bloody, and it changes some of the core rules in ways that give each faction individually overpowered abilities (thanks to leaders), so it ends up feeling less like gridlock and more swingy (in a really satisfying way). Where Fire in the Lake is a quagmire, by design given how the Vietnam war was, Gallic War is a blitzkrieg.

Liberty or Death is still undergoing some balancing and design changes. We were playing with some variant rules whereby the appearance of a Propaganda (called Winter Quarters) on top of the deck cancels the current event that's active. They're also still tweaking the victory conditions for each "team", and the Native American faction is still being messed with to get them up to snuff. It's still good, don't get me wrong, but Gallic War impressed me a lot more.

With all that said...

De Excidio Brittaniae (placeholder name for now), the one about the end of Roman rule in Britain, blew me away. Some of the stuff the designer Marc is implementing into the system is genius. There's a whole risk/reward wager mechanic for Barbarian raids, there's a Roman political track representing the collapse of the empire, which can actually change the victory condition of one of the factions midway through the game. But my favorite of all is that you can give up victory points to hire mercenaries from the barbarian players, who then have to give you some of their units for you to control. but they can also change sides if you don't pay them during Propaganda rounds. It's doing stuff I never thought the COIN system would do (sieges, terrain modifiers for not only combat, but for victory conditions), it's really going to open some eyes about how powerful the core framework can be for adapting different conflicts and historical periods.
Sold me on it. That sounds great.
Anyone tried out Roll Through The Ages: The Iron Age? Seems relatively deep compared to RttA, especially with the expansion.
Just got done playing a game with my wife. We both are very familiar with Roll Through the Ages and enjoy it a lot. I think I liked The Iron Age more than my wife. It definitely is a harder game than The Bronze Age, but it's not something that wouldn't give a seasoned gamer any problems.

So what I liked about it, I liked that there was more to think about. Not only are there developments, city and monument building but there are battles, conquests, tributes, army building, ship building. It almost feels like a bit too much and it felt clunky at first but ended up flowing as the game went on. I also liked the different paths to points. In the old game it always felt like a race to two extra dice then see who can finish the most monuments first before the other player. Each game started to feel the same. With this one adds tributes, which give you points for defeating barbarians, conquesting some no name enemy, and bullying your neighbor. There is also the Mediterranean expansion, which I'll mention in a bit, that can add points to the game. There is more player interaction, which is something the Bronze Age was missing. Finally, I thought splitting up the cities was a neat idea. So instead of a regular catch all city, it's split into two specializations, ports and provinces. Ports helps gain goods, which can be used for developments and building. Provinces provide armies and tribute. So, depending on how you wanted to play you can focus more on one or the other. It's a neat idea and works well but also adds to the complexity. It took us a bit to get the hang of it.

We played with the Mediterranean expansion, which adds a sort of area control element to the game. The basic idea is that you are trying to establish colonies. For every person you roll you can place a peg in one of the slots on the map. Once all the slots are filled for a particular region you need to spend a boat and a guy to found a colony on the star space of that region. In theory players can compete for the larger colonies. I don't think it works well in a two player game. There were enough spaces to go around so there was no fighting for territory. It ended up feeling a bit flat so I don't think I'll play with the expansion with two players. I want to give it a go with more players, though, to see if there is actually more player interaction on the board.

Draxal

Received my copy of Machi Koro too. Can't wait to play it, absolutely love the art on the game, great job stooge.

Only downside, I'm absolutely disgusted by how unnecessarily big the box is. Even if it adds 5 expansions, it has a lot of unnecessary extra room. Board games take so much space I wish publishers were more conscious about this.

Who likes games with big boxes? I assume retailers are happier with smaller boxes since they take less storage/shelf space and are cheaper to ship. Same for international buyers for whom the size of the game is a huge factor.

Pretty sure Stooge said small boxes just don't get noticed.

I'm in the camp that bad inserts are much worse personally.

EYEL1NER

It was a blast.

That sounds like it was too cool.
I don't have any COIN titles yet (in fact, Labyrinth is the only GMT game I own so far), but I want to get ADP and FitL. Hearing that Iron Butterfly is set in the Philippines sold me on it right away. Wish there was some actual info on it out there though; I imagine it won't see its release for a while.

Got a tiny bit of gaming in tonight with a buddy. We played a quick game of Star Realms, my second physical game of it and his first period, and I lost. Then we played two quick games of MtG with the two Khans of Tarkir intro decks I bought. He crushed me the first time after three or four turns, when I had yet to play anything other than lands. The draws were more favorable in the immediate rematch and I was getting the hang of delving, but he just has too much more MtG experience than I do. He got accustomed to a tri-color deck pretty quickly. After that we played Space Hulk: Death Angel. I felt pretty confident in the rules but still took a while explaining it. We got going and it wasn't that relaxing even at the beginning, when 6 genestealers spawned right off the bat. Things eased up a but, I even lost a red guy and didn't stress too much over it. A teleported trip where a yellow guy died signaled the beginning of the end we though and things ramped up quick, with a blue guy from my coworker's squad surrounded by three enemies to the front and four to the read and only one support token to use while defending from the front. We ended up getting to the launch control room at the end and won it. A ton of genestealers around everywhere, only three space marines left (a red, a blue, and a green), and just one support token on the launch card, but my buddy rolled a zero and took it for us. Felt good to win it.

I open our up today and it was missing the two dices not a biggie. But there are 4 wheatfield and 4 bakery that are starting card (they have different back also).

We only play a quick trial 2 players game and it was a bit dull to be honest. I think game need 3 - 4 people for it go quicker.

Phthisis

That sounds like it was too cool.
I don't have any COIN titles yet (in fact, Labyrinth is the only GMT game I own so far), but I want to get ADP and FitL. Hearing that Iron Butterfly is set in the Philippines sold me on it right away. Wish there was some actual info on it out there though; I imagine it won't see its release for a while.

Yeah... I was talking to some of the other designers who were helping playtest it and they were saying that it's probably the furthest from being ready. All the factions aren't even set yet, and the reason Ken (the guy who's making it) decided to bring it was to get some time with Volko and the other COIN guys to play it and give feedback. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the prototype. The map was cool, lots of islands, which was very different.

P.S. Labyrinth is an awesome game.

Pretty sure Stooge said small boxes just don't get noticed.

I'm in the camp that bad inserts are much worse personally.

I wonder how many sales are from online stores, where small boxes I assume don't matter. There are also a ton of small games in the top 500 too.

Anyway for me a bad insert is bad, but you can just throw those away.

I like it a lot. There's a surprising amount of depth in army building and I think the action point system gives the game a cool push your luck kind of feeling. They keep adding scenarios that are really cool, too.

Xater

Has anyone tried Golem Arcana yet? I've heard surprisingly good things from a tabletop app hybrid game.

Looked really good in Essen, their booth was also always busy. Only didn't pick it up because they told me the German translation comes at the beginning of next year and the complete German game mid 2015. I'm gonna wait for that since there still quite some text involved which might be an issue for some people I play with.

Top Bottom