• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Phinor

Speaking of GMT and COIN, I've never played or seen any of those games but I noticed there's a single copy of Fire in the Lake available at my FLGS. In this case the game would be completely for solitaire purposes, but is that game a good game to jump into the system? And how's the replay value?

Speaking of GMT and COIN, I've never played or seen any of those games but I noticed there's a single copy of Fire in the Lake available at my FLGS. In this case the game would be completely for solitaire purposes, but is that game a good game to jump into the system? And how's the replay value?
Cuba Libre is the closest you'll get to an entry level COIN game. It's a smaller map, the motivations and victory conditions are easily definable, and the deck (besides FitL short scenario) is the smallest meaning a faster game.

However, for solo purposes, I thought FitL was a little bit easier to manage. The COIN and the insurgent factions feel like two defined "teams". At least they feel more synergistic than the factions have felt in the previous games. When playing solo you actually control one side or the other so it's a bit easier to keep track of what's going on. I also think if you can get just one other person to play with you FitL might make a good two player game. Which is saying a lot, since most COIN games play best with four.

Ok what the hell are COIN games guys? Can you educate me? I am intrigued by hearing something about solo play.

COIN stands for Counter Insurgency and the COIN games are a series of games by GMT. The system was created by Volko Ruhnke how designed Labyrinth: War on Terror and Wilderness War, which are two card driven war games. The COIN system is also a card driven game, but it plays completely differently. In a typical card driven war game you are given a hand of cards. Depending what you play you are given some action points to do actions or they could be events. With the COIN system there is no hand of cards. Instead there is one deck where where everyone plays off of.
Here is what a typical card looks like:
DYe15Ur.jpg

That top row of icons shows the turn order for the round. On any given round only two factions will act. Factions can do the event, some combination of operations, or even the event on the card. The trick is, the first faction to act dictates what the next faction can do. For example, if I take the event you can only do operations. What ends up happening is one faction may not want another faction to take a full turn, so they may take a lesser action in order to prevent following faction from doing something big. It is an interesting way of playing a turn and managing turn order.

That's the basics of the system.Each game in the series follows that basic setup, but whats different about each game is how the factions play off of each other. In Andean Abyss and Cuba Libre, it's every man for himself. In A Distant Plain the COIN faction is playing a "Bad Marriage" style of partnership. The Coalition forces are trying to keep stability while the Afghan Government just rather line their pockets. In Fire in the Lake the COIN forces are in a partnership against the Insurgent forces.

So how do the games feel? It's a war game, for sure, but it feels like a very heavy area control euro. Chits are mostly used to mark information on the board, while people's pieces are wooden cubes and cylinders. Actions are taken using a menu style player aid. I personally like the asymmetrical sides. Each faction has their own special abilities and victory conditions and despite sharing some basic actions, feel completely different.

In order of release the games are:
Andean Abyss - Colombia during the 90's. I'm least familiar with this one. I own it, but haven't played it yet. It's got a monster of a deck and takes quite awhile to play.

Cuba Libre - The Cuban Revolution in the 50's. Probably my favorite of the series. It's an easier game to get in to and one that I would call a COIN gateway. The deck is also the smallest and won't take as long to play.

A Distant Plain - The Afghanistan War. Probably the hardest game in the series. Players motivations aren't as cut and dry and the relationship on the COIN side is harder to play than other factions or games.

Fire in the Lake - The Vietnam War. I haven't tried it out yet, but this could make for the best two player game in the series. It takes the partnership of A Distant Plain and makes them more synergistic.

Up comming is the Gallic War, which is the first COIN game not to take place in the modern era. Liberty or Death, the first non Volko Ruhnke designed game in the series. It takes place during the Revolutionary War. Both are up for preorder on GMT's site.

joelseph

Extra Life is this weekend, I will be playing boargames for 25 hours straight on October 25th raising money for the Chidlren's Hospital Network. This thing always about kills me mentally. Looking forward to another year!

Xater

COIN stands for Counter Insurgency and the COIN games are a series of games by GMT. The system was created by Volko Ruhnke how designed Labyrinth: War on Terror and Wilderness War, which are two card driven war games. The COIN system is also a card driven game, but it plays completely differently. In a typical card driven war game you are given a hand of cards. Depending what you play you are given some action points to do actions or they could be events. With the COIN system there is no hand of cards. Instead there is one deck where where everyone plays off of.
DYe15Ur.jpg

That top row of icons shows the turn order for the round. On any given round only two factions will act. Factions can do the event, some combination of operations, or even the event on the card. The trick is, the first faction to act dictates what the next faction can do. For example, if I take the event you can only do operations. What ends up happening is one faction may not want another faction to take a full turn, so they may take a lesser action in order to prevent following faction from doing something big. It is an interesting way of playing a turn and managing turn order.

That's the basics of the system.Each game in the series follows that basic setup, but whats different about each game is how the factions play off of each other. In Andean Abyss and Cuba Libre, it's every man for himself. In A Distant Plain the COIN faction is playing a "Bad Marriage" style of partnership. The Coalition forces are trying to keep stability while the Afghan Government just rather line their pockets. In Fire in the Lake the COIN forces are in a partnership against the Insurgent forces.

So how do the games feel? It's a war game, for sure, but it feels like a very heavy area control euro. Chits are mostly used to mark information on the board, while people's pieces are wooden cubes and cylinders. Actions are taken using a menu style player aid. I personally like the asymmetrical sides. Each faction has their own special abilities and victory conditions and despite sharing some basic actions, feel completely different.

Andean Abyss - Colombia during the 90's. I'm least familiar with this one. I own it, but haven't played it yet. It's got a monster of a deck and takes quite awhile to play.

Cuba Libre - The Cuban Revolution in the 50's. Probably my favorite of the series. It's an easier game to get in to and one that I would call a COIN gateway. The deck is also the smallest and won't take as long to play.

A Distant Plain - The Afghanistan War. Probably the hardest game in the series. Players motivations aren't as cut and dry and the relationship on the COIN side is harder to play than other factions or games.

Fire in the Lake - The Vietnam War. I haven't tried it out yet, but this could make for the best two player game in the series. It takes the partnership of A Distant Plain and makes them more synergistic.

Up comming is the Gallic War, which is the first COIN game not to take place in the modern era. Liberty or Death, the first non Volko Ruhnke designed game in the series. It takes place during the Revolutionary War. Both are up for preorder on GMT's site.

That's a more detailed explanation than I expected. Thanks.

These games are probably not for me. Looks too heavy for my taste.

daevv

DYe15Ur.jpg

Sums it up nicely! I only have Fire in the Lake but plan on getting some others next year when they get reprinted. Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain mostly. Liberty or Death does sound interesting too.

Phthisis

In addition to what everyone else has also said, I would just like to add that the system is very mechanically simple; the complexity and heaviness comes from knowing how to use each faction's special abilities and how they interlock with each other faction's goals and capabilities. As such, replay value is really high. Based on the order of the cards, how the game unfolds, different strategies will be required.

As far as wargames go, I think the popularity of the system is because of the overlap between two different audiences of gamers: people who like historical games & conflict simulations, and heavy area-control Euros (which at its core is really how the COIN system plays).

Draxal

I just got my backer stuff for Arcadia Quest.

I have to say I really don't like how Coolminiornot handles these kickstarters. There's so much additional content here that was kickstarter exclusive that I really won't fault a person who doesn't want to jump in this game due to those exclusives.

Otherwise, I'd recommend this game to people who want a much lighter descent type campaign game with the caveat that is a versus game with some fun coop pve elements as the backdrop.

daevv

Has anyone played or own Lost Legends? Opinions? The fantasy drafting element looks interesting and most in my group like the similar game play in 7 Wonders. Replayability seems to be an issue but I can get it fairly cheap at $30 so a few plays might be worth it.

BGG Link

Chorazin

Tonight I'm getting Abyss back on the table (this time with four players), and after a few games of that, City of Horror for the first time. Should be good stuff!

fenners

Finally getting a game of XIA going tonight...so excited! A little nervous about forgetting something in the rules though.

There's a lot to forget ;) We played an 'intro' game of it last week, without NPCs, and it went relatively smoothly. There's a ~12 minute intro video on the 'Geek that's a great help.

Things we got wrong that were important -

- You can 'use' occupied spaces if you're adjacent to them by spending 2 movement points (if it's a major action, it ends that movement) & this can be done even through barriers around planets etc - but it's effectively a move in, action, move out, with all the appropriate damage rolls.

- You can do as many business actions as you want at the end of your turn, including upgrading multiple tiers of ship classes. You /don't/ get credit for the ship you're selling, but you do for outfit parts.

Experien

There's a lot to forget ;) We played an 'intro' game of it last week, without NPCs, and it went relatively smoothly. There's a ~12 minute intro video on the 'Geek that's a great help.

Things we got wrong that were important -

- You can 'use' occupied spaces if you're adjacent to them by spending 2 movement points (if it's a major action, it ends that movement) & this can be done even through barriers around planets etc - but it's effectively a move in, action, move out, with all the appropriate damage rolls.

- You can do as many business actions as you want at the end of your turn, including upgrading multiple tiers of ship classes. You /don't/ get credit for the ship you're selling, but you do for outfit parts.

Yeah, i hope that the "do as many things as you want" thing doesn't bog down the gameplay too much. You probably can't sell ships for money cause the Tier 1 ships are 1,000 CT or whatever. I wonder why they even have prices on them.

Speaking of GMT games and as a history buff, I'm really interested in the games they offer. What do you guys think of command & colors: ancients? Is it a game that has high replay value, good for solo or 2p game, lots of depth but at the same time easy to teach and learn? I'm also concerned with setup and playing time.

I've referred to BGG but I'd also like to hear personal opinions from gaffers who had played or owned that game. I didn't see any discussions over this game :(

Neverfade

Speaking of GMT games and as a history buff, I'm really interested in the games they offer. What do you guys think of command & colors: ancients? Is it a game that has high replay value, good for solo or 2p game, lots of depth but at the same time easy to teach and learn? I'm also concerned with setup and playing time.

I've referred to BGG but I'd also like to hear personal opinions from gaffers who had played or owned that game. I didn't see any discussions over this game :(

Have you ever played Memoir '44 or Battlelore? It has a very similar ruleset as those.

All of those games are well loved, but I absolutely hate the card order system in them, so I think they're pretty doo doo.

Have you ever played Memoir '44 or Battlelore? It has a very similar ruleset as those.

All of those games are well loved, but I absolutely hate the card order system in them, so I think they're pretty doo doo.

Heard of it but I haven't played neither of them. I'd like to get into tabletop war games and with C&C:A featuring my favorite Greco/Roman period, it seems to be a good war game for beginner like me. Reason I still haven't bought it yet is because it's expensive and I'm really afraid it might sit on the shelf more than I play.

Or I could end up buying battle line. Darn dilemma.

Neverfade

Battleline is fantastic, albeit a very different and lighter experience.

If you want to try out the CC:A system, or at least one like it, Memoir '44 has a couple free scenarios in the digital implementation here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/108210/

It's not 100% the same game, but its very similar and should give you an idea if you'd like it.

Xater

Heard of it but I haven't played neither of them. I'd like to get into tabletop war games and with C&C:A featuring my favorite Greco/Roman period, it seems to be a good war game for beginner like me. Reason I still haven't bought it yet is because it's expensive and I'm really afraid it might sit on the shelf more than I play.

Or I could end up buying battle line. Darn dilemma.

Try the digital version of Memoir as Neverfade suggested. Then you'll see if you like the system. Otherwise if we ignore your preference for a specufic scenario I'd suggest Rivet Wars. I tried it during the board game fair and loved it. Rules are even simpler than in the C&C system. The dude tought it to me in like 5 minutes. It also has a much quicker set up time since don't put any units in. Instead you get points every round to bring new ones on the board, so it kinda feels like a RTS game. Also plays in like 30 minutes which should help bringing it to the table.

Phthisis

The C&C system is just really robust and simple to learn. I haven't played Ancients, but I do own Memoir 44 and C&C Napoleonics (among others). I have to tell you, I really like the blocks for units in GMT's C&C line. They're fun to handle and they look good on the table. Only downside is you have to sticker them all.

Napoelonics adds some layers to the base C&C ruleset, so my understanding is that Ancients is a bit lighter than that (and Nappy is already a pretty light war game to begin with). While C&C is really a great gateway 2 player war game system that's very accessible and highly repayable, it's also one that is very bad for solo play (because of the hidden info on your hand of command cards).

I've never had anyone I introduced the C&C system to not like it, but YMMV. I will say this: now is the perfect time to get into it because GMT is reprinting the whole C&C line and all the expansions (both Ancients and Nappy) by the end of November. The other advantage that Ancients has over Napoleonics (or Battle Cry) is that you can play the Epic variant (3v3 teams with two boards) in one of the expansions.

Mista Koo

Received Coup Reformation a couple of days ago. The player aids have typos in them and even though there are two types of them you can't even play a 6 player game with either (there's only 5 of each). I ended up spending a few hours making my own.

After watching the GT guys play Fiasco (and TableTop guys way earlier) I kinda wanna get it as my first RPG, seems so much fun. Although I'm really unsure if my group (or friends who play D&D) would be into that.

EYEL1NER

Got my copy of BraveRats in today, so I played a game of it via cam with the wife. It wasn't too hard with her using my copy of R and me using BraveRats; there are only two cards that they changed the name to but everything still does the same thing. It went pretty well, revealing the cards at the same time and then placing the other colored cards that were played in front of each other to keep track of what the other person was playing. Well, I still really like the game (though now that I have viewed all of the art for BraveRats, I feel even more strongly about R being better than the retheme). Might even like it better than 2P Love Letter. I can't wait to try some of the variants.

The guy from BlueOrange said on BGG that more copies of R were being sent to the BGG Store, that the demand in the thread were they asked about it was high enough to necessitate more copies being printed. I almost want to order another copy of R so I can sleeve one for playing and keep it in a LL-style bag and then leave one in the envelope.

Got an update on the BattleCon Kickstarter today. They think it will only be two-months behind schedule and ship in March possibly. That was the first thing I ever backed and while I did know how common it is for KS-projects to slip a couple months back from the estimate (especially when there are a ton of stretch goals), I have to say I am still disappointed and bummed out by it. At least Sirlin sent out an update for Yomi and said that it is still on track and may even ship at the end of November, which would be early.
I was debating it and leaning towards a 'Yes,' but now that Dragon Tides has added a Kill Bill expansion and Brandon Lee as The Crow for a bonus character, I am backing for sure. I fucking love The Crow...

I see a lot of people talking about the C&C system on this page. I only have Memoir '44 and haven't played anything else that uses the system, but I have been thinking about buying Samurai Battles. The minis look pretty decent and the addition of an optional other battle system (don't remember the name but the non-C&C one) sounds interesting, even if a lot of reviewers seem pretty down on it.

Neverfade

Played the Sons of Anarchy boardgame tonight. Think this is my favorite of the Gale Force offerings. Really straight forward game with a ton of conflict.

My biggest complaint is that the One Niners and Lin Sindicate gang member figures are on motorcycles when neither are biker gangs.

EYEL1NER

Played the Sons of Anarchy boardgame tonight. Think this is my favorite of the Gale Force offerings. Really straight forward game with a ton of conflict.

My biggest complaint is that the One Niners and Lin Sindicate gang member figures are on motorcycles when neither are biker gangs.
Hmmm, I'm going to have to look into that one tomorrow then and do some reading about it. I haven't gotten a chance to play more than two games of my copy of Firefly but I like that one a lot. Despite not having seen any of Spartacus, I have had my eye on that one because I thought it looked really cool.

How well would Sons of Anarchy go over for someone unfamiliar to the source material? I ask because I haven't seen any of it and remember a coworker being turned off of The Firefly game because they didn't understand any of the stuff some of us that were playing were referencing or any of the game's references.

Neverfade

Well, I think Firefly has such a unique world crafted that it's certainly easier for someone who has never seen the show to be confused.

Sons really isn't like that. It's grimey ass dudes from Nowhereville, California that talk and act like real grimey ass dudes. I was the only person at the table who'd seen more than a season, and most hadn't seen any at all. They seemed to enjoy it fine.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I really really love computer games like Europa Universalis - does anybody know of board games that kinda tackle the same stuff like this game? Of course not as complicated, but still gived that same feeling.

Neverfade

Had to look up a video of that game; can't think of anything that's a direct equivalent, but you're probably looking for something like Sid Meier's Civilization The Board Game, or Clash of Cultures.

Unless you want to get really nutty and spend $200+ for a copy of the 10 hour long Advanced Civilization (1991).

Draxal

I really really love computer games like Europa Universalis - does anybody know of board games that kinda tackle the same stuff like this game? Of course not as complicated, but still gived that same feeling.

It depends if you want to go all grognard and play hte crazy war games that Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron are inspired by.

Game of Thrones the board game is probably a lighter version of this.

If you want to go space 4X instead of historical 4x, you might love Twilight Imperium.

Dreavus

I kind of want to try running another game of Werewolf this Halloween. I think the last time we played it was 2 Halloweens back.

It was never ultra popular with us and got largely replaced by Resistance/Avalon before it had a chance to take off but goddamnit it's Halloween.

(Perhaps I should invest in one night werewolf?)

EYEL1NER

Well, I think Firefly has such a unique world crafted that it's certainly easier for someone who has never seen the show to be confused.

Sons really isn't like that. It's grimey ass dudes from Nowhereville, California that talk and act like real grimey ass dudes. I was the only person at the table who'd seen more than a season, and most hadn't seen any at all. They seemed to enjoy it fine.
Sounds good then. It's on my radar now I guess.

It depends if you want to go all grognard and play hte crazy war games that Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron are inspired by.

If you want to go space 4X instead of historical 4x, you might love Twilight Imperium.
There is also Here I Stand and Virgin Queen both by Ed Beach of Civ 5 Gods and Kings fame. Virgin Queen takes place during Elizabeth I times and Here I Stand takes place during the Reformation. I've played Virgin Queen, which is derived from Here I Stand. Virgin Queen feels like a Paradox Strategy Game.

fenners

There is also Here I Stand and Virgin Queen both by Ed Beach of Civ 5 Gods and Kings fame. Virgin Queen takes place during Elizabeth I times and Here I Stand takes place during the Reformation. I've played Virgin Queen, which is derived from Here I Stand. Virgin Queen feels like a Paradox Strategy Game.

Wait, I never knew of that connection to Civ5. Very cool!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I have and now Game of Thrones, and yeah, its definitely decent. Twiligh Imperium looks interesting!

But those two 16th century games looks amazing and just like what I look for. Thanks a lot! Need to see if anybody in my town carries them.

fenners

Honestly, I think Warrior Knights is the best "Medieval TI3", especially with the expansion. Its order system is fantastic, it does the political battles of TI3 very well, but without the bloat, but you still get the "dudes on a map" feeling with big critical battles, and its troop management system is really interesting too.

Really under appreciated game.

Man, is there anything as awesome as when someone comes into this thread looking to scratch some particular gaming itch and we've got a bunch of great suggestions for them immediately? I haven't even been able to answer a bunch lately before everyone else has it covered. Well done lads.

emag

I kind of want to try running another game of Werewolf this Halloween. I think the last time we played it was 2 Halloweens back.

It was never ultra popular with us and got largely replaced by Resistance/Avalon before it had a chance to take off but goddamnit it's Halloween.

(Perhaps I should invest in one night werewolf?)

Yes, you should invest in One Night Ultimate Werewolf. It's very fast and very clean, unlike standard Werewolf/Mafia.

Man, is there anything as awesome as when someone comes into this thread looking to scratch some particular gaming itch and we've got a bunch of great suggestions for them immediately? I haven't even been able to answer a bunch lately before everyone else has it covered. Well done lads.

While I don't always agree with some of the opinions in here,
I can't stand Love Letter,
it's always great to see all the suggestions of games in here. Such a great community.

Phthisis

I second these.

Also, Europa Universalis was originally a board game before it was a PC game :p

Experien

Anyone know the deal with King of New York being delayed every other week? Supposed to be out in September and now it is November.

Well, the first Kickstarter I backed came though! Received The Captain Is Dead, along with Turbulence.

Can't wait to try these this weekend!

EYEL1NER

I think I may take Eldritch Horror in to work with me tomorrow and try to solo it with two investigators. I will need to sit down with the rule book for a bit, but I will have a solid 6 hours at least out of the 12 to work with it and stumble through it. Hopefully I can get it nailed down and then talk two coworkers into playing it on my day off.

Ferrio

Banned
When I was visiting Seattle a couple months ago I went a boardgame bar and played Pandante for the first time with my gf/her friends. It was rough, they didn't really pick up the rules but I enjoyed it so I finally ordered it a couple weeks ago. Got to play it with some local friends who instantly picked it up and had a great time. Even a friend who is iffy on texas hold em loved it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K61GW4Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty much if you combined Texas Holdem with Bullshit!

EYEL1NER

When I was visiting Seattle a couple months ago I went a boardgame bar and played Pandante for the first time with my gf/her friends. It was rough, they didn't really pick up the rules but I enjoyed it so I finally ordered it a couple weeks ago. Got to play it with some local friends who instantly picked it up and had a great time. Even a friend who is iffy on texas hold em loved it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K61GW4Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty much if you combined Texas Holdem with Bullshit!
I know that a lot of other people who were backing Yomi were happy that Sirlin had included it in one of the tiers. I didn't bother looking at it any because of the prices he sells his games at anyway; I made an exception for Yomi since I love fighting games but I don't see myself getting another one of his games (maybe Puzzle Strike if I can get it for super-cheap one of these days). I have to admit that "Texas Holdem with Bullshit" doesn't sound like something I would want, but I am slightly intrigued if you say so many people liked it. Besides the Yomi Kickstarter, this is the first time I think I have seem anyone talk about it.

Top Bottom