• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Maybe it is. I'm willing to spend more time with it because we might have not been getting the hang of what we were supposed to be doing. I have Hanging Garden up here too, so maybe we will try that one next week instead, since each deck is supposed to do something different I guess. I'll read up on it some more and give it another go; we ended up flipping through the rule book and just jumped in after about two minutes. We were going to try Cypher but that looked like it would take more than a minute to read.

If you want "2p Love Letter" though, you want to get R/BraveRats. Seriously.

... You mean Flying Garden? The second Lost Legacy game? Or is there another game called Hanging Garden? :D

Xater

I bought Lost Legacy in Essen and I am not going to get rid of Love Letter. I really like Love Letter but Lost Legacy is just a better game in every way.

My group ended up preferring Love Letter actually. Figured they would love Lost Legacy as Love Letter was such a hit, but yea it didn't go over so hot. I like Legacy's differences, but do think Love Letter is a bit more solid feeling in it's design of it's roles and simplistic perfection.

Experien

The Broken Token's Among the Stars organizer is $25. Supports sleeves too.

I am so tempted but I should try a foamcore first and decide if I want to use the bigger or smaller box. I mean, it is a BIG box and there are SO MUCH empty space. Almost seems like a waste.

joelseph

I can't decide if I want to get a Broken Token or a couple Plano for my copy of Caverna...

Plano is cheaper, Broken Token looks nicer.
Broken Token is tough to put together, you just unwrap the Plano.
Why is this so hard!

I can't decide if I want to get a Broken Token or a couple Plano for my copy of Caverna...

Why is this so hard!

Outside of the edges the broken token stuff is easy to go together. Pretty much always just sand the edge connections beforehand and the whole process is real quick and simple.

joelseph

Outside of the edges the broken token stuff is easy to go together. Pretty much always just sand the edge connections beforehand and the whole process is real quick and simple.

KoT v1 was a huge hassle for me, had to do two copies and had me cursing on both. The other stuff I have put together has been simple after sanding the connectors like you mentioned. I will probably go the nicer route and get the BT wooden inserts instead of Plano.

Experien

Why is this so hard!

If you want to show off the box, Broken Token...if you just want to quickly/easily store it all and probably take up less space, Plano.

I recently bought a self-healing cutting mat and still have foamcore so I need to get more time to do that.

Made my (probably) last order!

- Castles of Mad King Ludwig
- Julius Caesar
- Onirim
- Province

Let's hope they are good, wanted to get JC for a long time, should have gotten some columbia block war games when they still allowed retailers for big discounts.

So my local gaming store have a copy of Forgotten Souls so I picked it up after work. So far I really enjoy this new twist on Descent. It turns the game into a fun cooperative dungeon romp or nice solo adventure yet keep most what make Descent easy to play. I see that they are doing another Game Night Kit with another cooperative set up. Instead of print on demand they really should make a full expansion set with printed booklet and cards that take advantage of the other expansion. I am really surprised how well it play.

6rcBaeh.jpg

Eliminating Overlord really makes the game enjoyable.

Lyng

So since we are looking for a new house, and my wife is pregnant, I was actually not going to get anymore board games in the near future....Until I read some reviews and watched the FFG tutorial on Warhammer 40K: Conquest.
I just fell in love right away. I am not even a warhammer fan, but the sheer simplicity of gameplay really makes this game feel fresh to me, compared to their other LCG's. And it seems you get so much gameplay right out of the core box. Which is graet, since I am only going to play this game with my wife or a friend and not at tournaments!

I am receiving it today. Will return with a "review" later.

Xater

So my local gaming store have a copy of Forgotten Souls so I picked it up after work. So far I really enjoy this new twist on Descent. It turns the game into a fun cooperative dungeon romp or nice solo adventure yet keep most what make Descent easy to play. I see that they are doing another Game Night Kit with another cooperative set up. Instead of print on demand they really should make a full expansion set with printed booklet and cards that take advantage of the other expansion. I am really surprised how well it play.

Wait does the expansion come with away to play without the Overlord. I'm a bit confused here, first time I here anything about this.

Phthisis

Finally got Battle of Five Armies to the table tonight. Might be my favorite game that's come out this year. The overhauled card system really puts some interesting decisions on your shoulders.

Wait does the expansion come with away to play without the Overlord. I'm a bit confused here, first time I here anything about this.

Yes, it's a print on demand expansion (they release it as Gaming Night Kit earlier this year and now being available as Print on Demand). It comes with three new set of cards and new set of rules (that you have to download from their website). There is, what essentially the set-up deck, that picks the tile for the room, monsters, story and added certain conditions for the room (such as room full of fog and you can not exerted to move or monster do more damage etc.), the AI deck that dictate how monsters move and fight (since there is no Overlord player to control them) and small deck that basically there to prevent you from linger about too long (called Perils deck) and punish you if you do).

The rooms are unlike regular Descent is random so in the picture here you can see I just clear the first room and open the next room which turn out to be one of the "challenge room" which is similar to Act 1 in the regular game. My characters are pretty much ill prepared and probably will fail as I was hoping to get more gears before hitting this challenge but we will see. You can see the door to the right to the next room that won't get reveal until my character open the door so it stop players from able to plan ahead since you won't know what come up next.

nTLusGal.jpg

You need just the base set and it doesn't use everything so it is somewhat limited but the set up deck do add variations to the lack of diverse enemies. There is a cool loot track mechanic that reward your kills but the way it works make you have to think about the order in which to kill the minions (pretty clever).

For the few times we play Descent, the problem is the Overlord seem to exist to just merely be the stumbling block for the players. it's not a real competitive play and lead to frustration for Overlord player and alpha gaming on the Heroes side.

They have another game night kit out and it seems to expand on this using the large expansion set along with the base game. I really wish they take this and make a full expansion with it as there are a lot of good mechanics.

fenners

Thanks for the heads up on the Descent pod expansion - that sounds really interesting & my style of game. And right before wants need to be submitted with the BGG.Con math trade that has a bunch of Descent 2.0 in it... ;) Mmmm.

y6ltYeG.jpg

Juts curious. Are those games addictive and have high replay value? My local board game shop is selling zombicide at USD90+ and I just balk at it.

Xater

I've been wondering about the replayability of Zombicide for a while. It looks fun but how long does the box last? Or does it start a cycle where I have to go after every season to keep things interesting?

I've been wondering about the replayability of Zombicide for a while. It looks fun but how long does the box last? Or does it start a cycle where I have to go after every season to keep things interesting?

They put out new scenarios for the game almost every week on the game's website, and there is a free scenario maker software on their site also you can play with. Various aspects are randomized too so scenarios can play out slightly different each time.

The other seasons are just the same game with a theme and a few different rules, and you can mix em all together.

As I mentioned before, Zombicide is best just in it's core game package, the expansions really screw with balance making the game swing heavily randomly to being way too easy, or too hard. Also all the extra rules kinda mess with what was a smooth game system will all these extra fiddly rules and components

fenners

There's a ridiculous amount of free scenarios on the Guillotine website, including a bunch that do not include expansion tiles etc. No shortage of content for Zombicide, and it's easy to make your own - throw down some tiles, spawn points, doors, objectives etc - in the software if that interests you.

Xater

They put out new scenarios for the game almost every week on the game's website, and there is a free scenario maker software on their site also you can play with. Various aspects are randomized too so scenarios can play out slightly different each time.

The other seasons are just the same game with a theme and a few different rules, and you can mix em all together.

As I mentioned before, Zombicide is best just in it's core game package, the expansions really screw with balance making the game swing heavily randomly to being way too easy, or too hard. Also all the extra rules kinda mess with what was a smooth game system will all these extra fiddly rules and components

So you wouldn't even recommend that Mall expansion?

Interesting to hear this. If I can have lots of fun just with the core Zombicide I might consider getting it.

So you wouldn't even recommend that Mall expansion?

Interesting to hear this. If I can have lots of fun just with the core Zombicide I might consider getting it.

I wouldn't recommend any expansion outside of adding more characters to the game. If you are bored of the base game or such and become really experienced group, then possibly try an expansion, but we were not fans since it creates such as swinging difficulty situation. Toxic zombies can really screw other many player characters who are melee focused, and bad random spawn can instantly ruin your scenario because of those zombie types.

Season 2 itself I think was alot better balanced due to the new prison tile rules. Some stuff like ultra red levels though were so stupid and give players stupid powerful weapons and remove the fear factor of leveling up. Other stupid rules added like the zombivivors, where players die and come back as "good" zombies fighting with the living players. In some cases you will willfully kill your characters just to get the abilities your zombie side has. The dogs expansion is just crap all around.

Everything is optional though, so you can customize the game to use what you like. But outside of adding new characters to the game, we haven't been crazy about any expansion stuff. Base game is great solid package, add expansions at your own risk. But after season 2, we decided that we were done spending money on Zombicide. It's a great game, just the expansion experiences are very hit and miss.

Slacker

Can you guys recommend me a nice family board game, 4-5 players, age 6+, 30-60 minutes?

I have a 6 and a 9 year old. The 9 year old plays pretty much everything. Her favorites are Carcassonne (with Hill & Sheep) and Agricola All Creatures Great and Small. The 6 year old loves games but of course mostly plays on someone's "team" because he's not quite old enough to grasp everything yet. He really likes games that he can play by himself though. His top three:

King of Tokyo: We play this one over and over and over. I'm looking forward to getting King of New York which is supposedly a little more interesting than KoT. I'm surprised by how well my son has this one figured out, but he can play and win without any help whatsoever.

Incan Gold: Press-your-luck style game that's more about reading each other than anything else. Super simple but it's cheap and fun with all ages.

Forbidden Island: Co-op works good with kids because you can work together. I like to do one of two things: either ask him what he thinks he should do, or give him a couple options and let him pick one. He's surprised me a few times with what he's come up with.

I second the Ticket to Ride recommendation too. I personally think the US version is better for kids. Leave out the destination tickets when the 6 year old is playing to make it a little easier.

Others to look up: Takenoko, River Dragons, Qwirkle

Keasar

Neat, so from your description it turns the game more into a cooperative dungeon crawler with rooms etc. without the Overlord? Sounds like what the game needs, since the first time we played Descent, nobody really have wanted to play it again since someone (probably me again) would have to play Overlord.

Karkador

Banned
I have a 6 and a 9 year old. The 9 year old plays pretty much everything. Her favorites are Carcassonne (with Hill & Sheep) and Agricola All Creatures Great and Small. The 6 year old loves games but of course mostly plays on someone's "team" because he's not quite old enough to grasp everything yet. He really likes games that he can play by himself though. His top three:

King of Tokyo: We play this one over and over and over. I'm looking forward to getting King of New York which is supposedly a little more interesting than KoT. I'm surprised by how well my son has this one figured out, but he can play and win without any help whatsoever.

Incan Gold: Press-your-luck style game that's more about reading each other than anything else. Super simple but it's cheap and fun with all ages.

Forbidden Island: Co-op works good with kids because you can work together. I like to do one of two things: either ask him what he thinks he should do, or give him a couple options and let him pick one. He's surprised me a few times with what he's come up with.

I second the Ticket to Ride recommendation too. I personally think the US version is better for kids. Leave out the destination tickets when the 6 year old is playing to make it a little easier.

Good recommendations

Neat, so from your description it turns the game more into a cooperative dungeon crawler with rooms etc. without the Overlord? Sounds like what the game needs, since the first time we played Descent, nobody really have wanted to play it again since someone (probably me again) would have to play Overlord.

It's only for a limited scenario selection of play, it sadly doesn't work with the whole game and any of the expansion materials so it's a very limited system. You can buy it now but it's same limited game night pack and not a full fledged system.

The Clash of Cultures "Civilization" expansion came out and I'm excited about all the new stuff (and plastic) it brings to the table. Having your own leader with special abilities and your own personal mini-tech tree looks great, as do the new units such as elephants and such (they seem pretty powerful, too).

Wonder what changes it'll bring to the game, as I can only lament on when I'll actually get it to the table, but it's still 100% less fiddly than the official Civ game and pretty accessible, so I still see it as the superior game.

Now to decide if I want to splurge on those custom plastic wonders...

Draxal

It's only for a limited scenario selection of play, it sadly doesn't work with the whole game and any of the expansion materials so it's a very limited system. You can buy it now but it's same limited game night pack and not a full fledged system.

Ayup, it only works with 4 of the 8 monster spawns monsters from the base game + base game tiles.

Zombicide works better than descent in this regard, Arcadia Quest is a PVP game with monsters as the background, and Super Dungeon Explore Forgotten King, is introducing a fully branched out new mode called arcade that will support every monster spawn in the game.

I do think think Imperial Assault missed the boat by not having a coop mode, built in to the base game.

Yes that is what it is but with story theme (Instead of just random endless dungeon rooms). We have the same problem with Descent. I usually play Overlord also and it is just frustrating. I think next time we play I have to get into the idea that I am there just to be a roadblocks for the Heroes and put up the challenge yet knowing that most likely they will just stomp me. Also problem with Descent is the Heroes can take long careful turns without penalty this doesn't allow for that as there is a timer that running (also pretty nice mechanic).

Also as Monkey and I mentioned, this is just side expansion Print on Demand thing and it doesn't convert your entire Descent 2nd edition into co-op game. I really hope they expand the concept and may be next Descent do away with Overlord altogether and implement this but I can see a difficulty in making the Minions control deck with so many variety, you would have to make a deck for each minion types.

Ayup, it only works with 4 of the 8 monster spawns monsters from the base game + base game tiles.

Zombicide works better than descent in this regard, Arcadia Quest is a PVP game with monsters as the background, and Super Dungeon Explore Forgotten King, is introducing a fully branched out new mode called arcade that will support every monster spawn in the game.

I do think think Imperial Assault missed the boat by not having a coop mode, built in to the base game.

One of the reason i am not picking up Imperial Assault, I feel it would have the same problem as Descent. I did play that Brimstone game briefly at PAX and that also look pretty neat. I am pretty sure they probably could do generic monster control deck but I think it would be not as exciting.

Can you guys recommend me a nice family board game, 4-5 players, age 6+, 30-60 minutes?
I would suggest Tsuro. My 5 year old loves it and can be pretty good at it as well.

Animal Upon Animal is also very good. It's a dexterity game that has players stacking animals on top of each other. It was the first game my son played where he is legitimately better than me.

Finally, Geister, Geister, Schatzsuchmeister!, which is a co op game. Despite being produced by Matel it's actually really good. Good enough to win kids game of the year last year. In Geister you are trying to grab the jewels from a haunted house before you trigger a certain amount of haunts. The game kind of plays like kiddie Pandemic but with fantastic art and adorable plastic pieces. The main problem is if you aren't in Germany you will need to import it. Good news is Amazon.de does ship internationally.

Xater

I have now been thinking about if I should get Zombicide for half the day. I just don't know, mostly because I don't know if the zombie theme would go over with my group. I should probably not risk it, for that the game is too expensive.

hort

Neo Member
So since we are looking for a new house, and my wife is pregnant, I was actually not going to get anymore board games in the near future....Until I read some reviews and watched the FFG tutorial on Warhammer 40K: Conquest.
I just fell in love right away. I am not even a warhammer fan, but the sheer simplicity of gameplay really makes this game feel fresh to me, compared to their other LCG's. And it seems you get so much gameplay right out of the core box. Which is graet, since I am only going to play this game with my wife or a friend and not at tournaments!

I am receiving it today. Will return with a "review" later.

Just as an FYI, this game feels broken when someone who has one copy of the core set plays someone who has 3. I consider myself to be decently proficient at card games, but with only 1 copy of most cards, it was seemingly impossible to play against someone who could make a much more consistent deck than mine.

This doesn't sound like something that will affect you if you are only getting 1 box and playing with wife/friend, but be prepared if you do end up playing someone who has 3 copies of the core set.

So it seems like CSI is not carrying Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age. I saw it at a local store in berkley and also online at cardhaus. WTH.

So bought, love the original game.

Dreavus

Just as an FYI, this game feels broken when someone who has one copy of the core set plays someone who has 3. I consider myself to be decently proficient at card games, but with only 1 copy of most cards, it was seemingly impossible to play against someone who could make a much more consistent deck than mine.

This doesn't sound like something that will affect you if you are only getting 1 box and playing with wife/friend, but be prepared if you do end up playing someone who has 3 copies of the core set.

They're going the Netrunner route with that, are they? Kind of annoying that they don't just give you 3 of everything for a game that is supposed to be an LCG. I never played Netrunner competitively but I've heard it's an issue for some decks to be at their best.

Experien

At the end of this week's South Park episode, they actually have board games in it: Dead of Winter, Mice & Mystics, King of New York, Lords of Waterdeep, Merchants & Marauders, and Zombicide!

I have now been thinking about if I should get Zombicide for half the day. I just don't know, mostly because I don't know if the zombie theme would go over with my group. I should probably not risk it, for that the game is too expensive.

Zombicide is a game good for zombie massacre (especially if you have extra zombies like from stretch goals or multiple games). If you want to run around doing minimal things but just obliterating zombies...this is the game for you. Everyone is a human.

Last Night on Earth is more a thematic version. This feels like you are playing a B-Movie in board game form. If you like cheesy zombie movies and that sorts...this is a good game to get. Also comes with a soundtrack if you buy the first one. I'm pretty sure Timber Peak doesn't come with it but it has player upgrades. One to two players are zombies, rest are heroes.

Dead of Winter is...I've only played it once but I wouldn't dare call it a zombie game. It is a game with zombies more as a backdrop. You could almost replace the zombies with anything else and would relatively stay the same. Everyone is a human (or a dog).

Zombies!!! is probably something to look into if you think Zombicide is too expensive and you want to kill zombies. It isn't as massacrey as Zombicide but it is modular and light on theme.

That's all I got on zombies for now.

Draxal

To be fair, pretty much all lcgs are like this. Star Wars is the least affected by it since it only requires 2 boxes to get a full playset, I wish they followed that model more often.

Firemind

Your post basically says "Ticket to Ride Europe".
Ooooh, I think I played the USA version before with my mates and had a jolly good time. Doesn't seem it's suitable for kindergartners and preschoolers though? Since it has economic elements.

Incan Gold sounds like something I would enjoy a lot as a child and I've seen Forbidden Island being played before, but didn't play for some reason.

I would suggest Tsuro. My 5 year old loves it and can be pretty good at it as well.

Animal Upon Animal is also very good. It's a dexterity game that has players stacking animals on top of each other. It was the first game my son played where he is legitimately better than me.

Finally, Geister, Geister, Schatzsuchmeister!, which is a co op game. Despite being produced by Matel it's actually really good. Good enough to win kids game of the year last year. In Geister you are trying to grab the jewels from a haunted house before you trigger a certain amount of haunts. The game kind of plays like kiddie Pandemic but with fantastic art and adorable plastic pieces. The main problem is if you aren't in Germany you will need to import it. Good news is Amazon.de does ship internationally.
Tsuro sounds wild! Geister sounds even wilder! Hm. To get a competitive game or a co op game...

I'm going to do some more research. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Neverfade

Ooooh, I think I played the USA version before with my mates and had a jolly good time. Doesn't seem it's suitable for kindergartners and preschoolers though? Since it has economic elements.

There's no economical element to TTR.

It's basic set collection.

Firemind

Ah, sorry, I remembered it wrong. There's a lot of strategic decisions to be made though. I know I didn't win a single game. :lol

Draxal

Ah, sorry, I remembered it wrong. There's a lot of strategic decisions to be made though. I know I didn't win a single game. :lol

Picking out the right tickets is a good part of the game, which might go over a kids head.

I think King of Tokyo is perfect for a kid of this age. With King of New York being a meatier version if the kid understands King of Tokyo concepts.

Slacker

Picking out the right tickets is a good part of the game, which might go over a kids head.

When I play Ticket to Ride with the 6 year old we leave out the destination tickets, and just score the trains we lay down. Plus a 10 point bonus for the longest train at the end of the game, as well as 10 points for the route that connects the most cities. Makes the game much more approachable for the kiddos.

Top Bottom