• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Calvin and Hobbes strip is not released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Watterson and Berke Breathed had a friendly rivalry so after he did the Prarls Before Swine guest spot and after Bloom County returned last summer, I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time before Watterson would finally melt under the pressure and release something else, and here it is, an April Fool's gag crossover with Bloom County, short but sweet:

11164852_1169574393073312_291078873465402315_o.jpg

Edit: Here is a link to the Pears Before Swines guest spots Watterson drew a few years ago:

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2014/06/04

The new Bloom County strips are awesome btw, you can find then semi-daily on Breathed's Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/berkeleybreathed

Or if you want a more organized way to view them here is the direct Go Comics link (membership required for strips older than a few months):

http://www.gocomics.com/bloom-county

A new Bloom County collection is planned for this summer and he's also working on a Bill the Cat children's book.

He also released a gag pic of an "elderly" Watterson "signing over ownership" of C&H to him, lol

Alavard

I was really ready to come in and yell at the OP to stop playing with my feelings, considering the date. Now I don't know how to feel.

Fuck yeah if this is true. Loved Calvin and Hobbes, provided ton of laughs to me and still does when I catch the odd panel every now and then.

Hope it actually is Watterson.

Awesome! Don't care too much about the crossover, but lovely to see a few new panels of C&H. The second one is great too. Calvin realizing he's a zombie.

mclem

need proof that it was him, you considering what day it is.

Well, it's not proof that it's Watterson, but it was posted on Berkeley Breathed's FB page, so make of that what you will.

The more detailed concept behind the gag is the idea that Breathed has bought the rights to C&H, and is now merchandising the hell out of it:

xgG6mBL.png

Tw4h0Bk.jpg

So, this could be by Watterson or it could be by Breathed, or by both. But I think it's reasonably safe to say that Watterson is in on it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hobbes...uh...doesn't have a tail in the 1st frame. Also agree in that something feels a little different with the lines.

Always good to see more Calvin and Hobbes tho, even as a one-off.

Two of those expressions are lifted directed from Revenge of the Baby-sat

d9c5c5e8af408906017f9e73c5526ea9.jpg
Googling Calvin and Hobbes zombie also gives them the zombie pose in the last panel, although Calvin's eyes are looking differently. Hell I just found someone having a tattoo of the exact image too. Could be Watterson reused it, or maybe it is a fake.

Hobbes...uh...doesn't have a tail in the 1st frame. Also agree in that something feels a little different with the lines.

Always good to see more Calvin and Hobbes tho, even as a one-off.

Yeah, you can tell he didn't write the lines. I'm sure he just gave his blessing.

it's common for artists to build a repertoire of facial expressions. it wouldn't surprise me if he's used them elsewhere as well. (the expressions, the lineart is different each time)

I don't think Watterson ever repeated exaggerated expressions like that.

Futurematic

So, I guess my The Complete Calvin and Hobbes collection is no longer complete, then...

It never was! Missing this strip.

Ha, not bad. Calvin and Hobbes is the goat. I put it up there with the greatest books I've ever read.

Easily. As Progressive Boink put it:

Jon Bois said:
Hundreds of comic strips have been published in newspapers. The majority are terrible, and almost all the rest are mediocre. There have been maybe four or five good comic strips in the history of the world. So saying that Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic strip ever doesn't really hold a lot of weight.

And it's really a shame that it's so difficult to quantify this strip's greatness. I can confidently state that Calvin and Hobbes outclasses the rest of the comic strip world more than anything else has ever outclassed the rest of its medium. Sans this strip, the industry is characterized by guys sitting on rocks making stupid puns, a Family Circus kid misunderstanding the meaning of a word, or an overweight father playing golf while telling jokes such as I LIKE GOLF and GOLF IS HARD. It's a medium that doesn't really deserve something as good as Calvin and Hobbes, but it got it anyway, and the newspaper-reading world was made a better place by it.

I still can't decide if it was a good or bad thing that Watterson didn't want Calvin and Hobbes getting much merchandise or adaptations. While a movie might be bad and hard to capture the feel of the comic, I really would love to get an actual Hobbes teddy when I was younger.

Downhome

I really wish this was "authentic" but I don't buy it, not today.

When my wife and I have a successful pregnancy, I completely intend to have a custom made replica Hobbes doll created for my kid. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I don't care!

The "elderly" Watterson photo gag is par for the course for Breathed, he posts fake photos and celeb gag pics with the characters quite a bit, ha.

need proof that it was him, you considering what day it is.

Watterson has guest drawn before (see the Pearls Before Swine strips from 2014 I linked above) and he and Breathed are friends. Yes, it's an April fool's joke for fun but it's absolutely a new C&H strip by Watterson with Opus inserted.

Reviewing the Pearls Before Swine bit he did, I lean towards it not actually being Watterson, though one would assume he's aware that this was happening. Unless Watterson has actually switched to digital art production since the Pearls bit (which was still drawn and lettered on paper).

I still can't decide if it was a good or bad thing that Watterson didn't want Calvin and Hobbes getting much merchandise or adaptations. While a movie might be bad and hard to capture the feel of the comic, I really would love to get an actual Hobbes teddy when I was younged.

Why wait?

1pJeQqr.jpg

Got this at Target. No idea how the manufacturer got away with it.

Vyer

The new Bloom County strips are awesome btw, you can find then semi-daily on Breathed's Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/berkeleybreathed

Or if you want a more organized way to view them here is the direct Go Comics link (membership required for strips older than a few months):

http://www.gocomics.com/bloom-county

A new Bloom County collection is planned for this summer and he's also working on a Bill the Cat children's book.

He also released a gag pic of an "elderly" Watterson "signing over ownership" of C&H to him, lol

Yeah, the Bloom County stuff has been fantastic. Both of these are probably my two GOAT strips. So happy to have at least one back.

thefro

Pretty sure Watterson didn't actually draw this one, but we'll see.

I think he'd want to do something more interesting than just character poses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom