• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toei can't "force" anything out of him. Toriyama owns the Dragonball franchise. Now, the true matter is how involved he'll be with this project.

Even if he came up with the story and designs for this anime, it's still possible he won't have much to do with the project going forward.
Let us dream.

Is this the real life? I'm ecstatic at the moment and I can't wait for the first images and trailers! I hope the multiverse gets a bit fleshed out and we get some more back story on Beerus, Whis and Super Saiyan God.

TheOGB

Banned
Why the hell not, let's fucking do it

I'm not anticipating it but I hope they let some women get in on the action. 18 and Videl are badass but horribly underutilized once they get husbands.
This made me bust out laughing but I feel bad because I'd also like this

Giolon

This is a perfect candidate for Funimation's simul dub initiative. DBZ is the a series I can only watch in English, so I hope they make the smart choice.

Mr. RHC

Wow, that's great news. Ever since the announcment of Digimon Tri I have been all subconsciously itchy for a revival of Dragon Ball.

I need screenhots.. plz

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I hope it turns out good and please make the characters more heavier/buffed up, they look really thin in the upcoming movie.

I never understand why all of gaf gets hung up with body image in our media fandom.

Great news. I just really hope they don't drag this new series as much as Drag-on Ball Z did. It took, what? Some 80 episodes to beat Majin Buu? That's almost two years worth of airs to beat one enemy. I willing to bet that that would be unacceptable today.

Shauni

It really surprises me that people are high on the American soundtrack. I mean, I haven't really seen the alternative yet, but I always thought the music in DBZ was fairly generic sounding butt rock. It was never something I ever thought as a defining part of the older show at all.

Ray Down

Banned
It really surprises me that people are high on the American soundtrack. I mean, I haven't really seen the alternative yet, but I always thought the music in DBZ was fairly generic sounding butt rock. It was never something I ever thought as a defining part of the older show at all.

Agree don't really get the love.

I'm not anticipating it but I hope they let some women get in on the action. 18 and Videl are badass but horribly underutilized once they get husbands.
Yeah no kidding! Women existed in DBZ only to produce more (male) warriors.

How about a female super Saiyan worth a damn? If we're getting Pan let her turn!

Shauni

Great news. I just really hope they don't drag this new series as much as Drag-on Ball Z did. It took, what? Some 80 episodes to beat Majin Buu? That's almost two years worth of airs to beat one enemy. I willing to bet that that would be unacceptable today.

DBZ took so long and was plauged by so much filler because of the manga. Since there's no manga this time, I don't think it'll be as bad an issue. At least I hope anyway.

Takao

Banned
This is a perfect candidate for Funimation's simul dub initiative. DBZ is the a series I can only watch in English, so I hope they make the smart choice.

I'm not sure that'll happen. We've gotten evidence that Funimation dubbed Kai: The Final Chapter long before it debuted in Japan, but that didn't even get a simulcast run in North America.

As someone who grew with the godly Latinamerican dub in the late 90s which was 99% uncensored and had the original soundtrack the first time I saw DBZ on american Cartoon Network I cried foul. I couldn't stand it.

guek

Banned
DBZ took so long and was plauged by so much filler because of the manga. Since there's no manga this time, I don't think it'll be as bad an issue. At least I hope anyway.
I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to GT...

Personally, I don't have much faith. Toei is fairly lazy and this is just a cash cow they're keeping alive to sell merchandise. Hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Jex

I'm not sure that'll happen. We've gotten evidence that Funimation dubbed Kai: The Final Chapter long before it debuted in Japan, but that didn't even get a simulcast run in North America.

Yeah but, this is a brand new Dragon Ball TV project. It's several orders of magnitude higher in fan excitement than something like a dub of Kai.

Shauni

I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to GT...

In what way do you mean. I don't really recall there being a lot of what I would call filler in GT, and it was only 60 episodes or something. Then again, I don't really remember much about GT, to be honest, so I might be wrong.

The problem with GT was the horrible script. Not necessarily the overall story ideas or the character developments or the animations and battles.

Most of that stuff was pretty solid in DB GT. It was the god f'in awful acting and scripting that killed it for me. And of course the " this shit again? " battles. Each one seemingly the exact same as the last. And then there are just head scratchingly stupid moments like freakin SSJ4 Goku being amazed that Omega Shenron could destroy a city in one blow. I'm like .. dude ... wtf? Nappa lifted a finger and blew an entire metropolis to hell in the freakin Saiyan saga and Goku was able to bust him up at power lv. 9000.

So yeah, just stuff like that made GT not so good.

If this doesn't take place AFTER Revival but before BoG I'll be sad.

They introduced such a cool multiverse concept and it would suck not to have it in the new series.

Shauni

The problem with GT was the horrible script. Not necessarily the overall story ideas or the character developments or the animations and battles.

Most of that stuff was pretty solid in DB GT. It was the god f'in awful acting and scripting that killed it for me. And of course the " this shit again? " battles. Each one seemingly the exact same as the last. And then there are just head scratchingly stupid moments like freakin SSJ4 Goku being amazed that Omega Shenron could destroy a city in one blow. I'm like .. dude ... wtf? Nappa lifted a finger and blew an entire metropolis to hell in the freakin Saiyan saga and Goku was able to bust him up at power lv. 9000.

So yeah, just stuff like that made GT not so good.

Dude.

He was over 9000.

guek

Banned
In what way do you mean. I don't really recall there being a lot of what I would call filler in GT, and it was only 60 episodes or something. Then again, I don't really remember much about GT, to be honest, so I might be wrong.
I'm referring to the idea that since there's no filler, the show will be therefore be of higher quality. GT wasn't based on a manga either and yet it felt almost like the entire series is dbz filler quality

Shauni

They introduced such a cool multiverse concept and it would suck not to have it in the new series.

The OP is your friend, my brother.

I'm referring to the idea that since there's no filler, the show will be therefore be of higher quality. GT wasn't based on a manga either and yet it felt almost like the entire series is dbz filler quality

Oh no, that's not what I was saying. I was just talking about the excessive and drawn out nature of Z. Not the quality, that is up in the air regardless of anything.

Has this multiverse concept been introduced in any official canonical way other than that one (I assume) non-canon videogame?

I know one thing. Hopefully the Abridged series is caught up by the time this show airs so they can go in and parody each new episode as they air.

that would be glorious.

but at this pace Abridged will probably just be starting Buu saga when this show begins airing in the west

Has this multiverse concept been introduced in any official canonical way other than that one (I assume) non-canon videogame?

Beerus says there are 12 other universes, each with their own champions and Gods and whatnot in Battle of Gods.

Which of course got Goku really excited. When Beerus said that I thought, " welp, there is your hope for a new series " lol

I know one thing. Hopefully the Abridged series is caught up by the time this show airs so they can go in and parody each new episode as they air.

that would be glorious.

but at this pace Abridged will probably just be starting Buu saga when this show begins airing in the west

Beerus says there are 12 other universes, each with their own champions and Gods and whatnot in Battle of Gods.

Which of course got Goku really excited. When Beerus said that I thought, " welp, there is your hope for a new series " lol
Oh right but I understrod that they've destroyed them all one after another and stopped short of destroying Goku's. I didn't get from that that these 12 universes co-exist at the same time.

Heck my hope for this series is high because Battle of Gods was fantastic, the storyline for Dragonball: Xenoverse was great and I loved the new characters introduced and I'm hearing good things about Revival of Frieza.

So they have established that whomever is taking care of Dragonball at this point in time is doing a fine job with it. So hopefully the streak continues and we get a fantastic new series.

Oh right but I understrod that they've destroyed them all one after another and stopped short of destroying Goku's. I didn't get from that that these 12 universes co-exist at the same time.

No, Beerus is the God of Destruction in THIS universe. Not any others. He tells Goku that Goku is the 2nd strongest person he has ever fought, 1st being Whis, and then goes onto mention that there are other even stronger warriors then even him in other universes, stating that there are 12 other universes. Going off the top of my head here, so not direct quotes.

Ringo

Please flesh out the other the characters...I've already had enough of the Goku Show in the past.

And when Planet Namek is about to blow up in 5 minutes, let it blow up in 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom