• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
Trueeee. Comedy was key for the massive success of Dragon Ball and DBZ. Toriyama never took the series too serious and even on the most intense moments he always made a space to add funny stuff. Like Mr. Satan at the beginning of the Cell games or Majin Boo as a whole being a silly/funny character in general even tho he is extremely powerful. That combination worked really well. And let's not forget that Dragon Ball at the beginning was originally more like a gag/comedy/action manga. Hope DBS get's a lot of that, a nice blend of comedy with tons of action.

Hell to the point where he really just wrote stuff to he just finds fun.

He pretty much stated he wrote the manga week to week, which shows just how serious he is about stuff like continuity and such.

Karsha

What do we know so far? It will continue from the new movies or it will ignore them and start before battle of gods ? It will be after Buu or after the ending of Z (with Pan and Uub)?
I've read some news and can't find much info, just the title and the release date.

Nevertheless a new Db is pretty huge, didn't believe I'd had the pleasure to see another series in my life ,I wont be mad even if its shitty lol

NeonZ

Well I guess this should be expected after they started making movies again. Have they confirmed if Toriyama considers this new stuff canon yet? And does it fall between the new movies or after? I'll probably check it out but modern Toei is really terrible, all things considered.

Toriyama has used elements from the new movies in Q&As about the original series, like Beerus being the one who sealed the Supreme Kai in the Z Sword. The Dragonball Minus chapter also had Freeza knowing about the Super Saiyan God Legend in addition to the Super Saiyan one. So, it's pretty clear he considers these movies on the same level as the manga. That's the closest thing you can get to "dragonball canon".

Blader

I wonder if they will go this route with exploring all of the other potential Gods that were mentioned.

Where's this from?

Sheroking

Goku hate is OD. He's an awesome protagonist, and I have no problem with him typically being the strongest, but they should spread the love around a bit more.

I think they will with Resurrection F. Just not Gohan, because he's the only character in the franchise without a personality.

kitzkozan

Goku hate is OD. He's an awesome protagonist, and I have no problem with him typically being the strongest, but they should spread the love around a bit more.

I think they will with Resurrection F. Just not Gohan, because he's the only character in the franchise without a personality.

He's awesome in the sense that he always delivered thanks to his fighting prowess. You knew shit was gonna go down as soon as he appeared on the battlefield (coupled with his training prior to a big fight which would give you numerous cues that he was about to kick ass). He was also awesome at mind games, but I sometime wonder if Toriyama lucked out with that aspect.

Still, it's somewhat silly that Vegeta was presented as a genius who kept fucking it up despite training like a madman. :p I'm cool if he's presented as the #2 who's just a notch below, not inept. I still consider it a fallacy that he couldn't attain SS3 even if it's a flawed form barely usable in the living world.

Sheroking

He's awesome in the sense that he always delivered thanks to his fighting prowess. You knew shit was gonna go down as soon as he appeared on the battlefield (coupled with his training prior to a big fight which would give you numerous cues that he was about to kick ass). He was also awesome at mind games, but I sometime wonder if Toriyama lucked out with that aspect.

Still, it's somewhat silly that Vegeta was presented as a genius who kept fucking it up despite training like a madman. :p I'm cool if he's presented as the #2 who's just a notch below, not inept. I still consider it a fallacy that he couldn't attain SS3 even if it's a flawed form barely usable in the living world.

I mean, even personality wise.

Find me a protagonist like Goku, before Goku. A goof-ball who thought "Marriage" was something he could eat, who also happened to be a genius martial-artist and combat strategist.

Dragon Ball walks the line between comedy and action and he's the ideal leader of that premise. Gohan on the other hand was pretty dull, and when they attempted to make him funny, what we got was this....

Sephzilla

I mean, even personality wise.

Find me a protagonist like Goku, before Goku. A goof-ball who thought "Marriage" was something he could eat, who also happened to be a genius martial-artist and combat strategist.

Dragon Ball walks the line between comedy and action and he's the ideal leader of that premise. Gohan on the other hand was pretty dull, and when they attempted to make him funny, what we got was this....

you got the best version of Gohan

andymcc

Banned

i feel that without seeing Dragon Ball (I imagine even to this day lots of US fans still have never seen/read it), you miss out on the growth and eccentricities that define Goku as a character. he IS the shonen archetype.

Future Gohan is cool but honestly he strikes me as Goku Light. So I think I like him more because he reminds me of Goku instead of boring ass Gohan.

Saiyaman Goku is hilarious.

Saiyaman Gohan felt to much of a retread of the Ginyu Force and it was such a disappointment compared to where we left off with him after the Cell games.

The Buu saga really ruined the character for me.

brinstar

I'm personally okay with Gohan hanging back because he never really got to have a childhood, at least let him be a decent father and husband.

I wanna see Goten get some focus and development.

mazpratim

i want to see:
- stronger females
- non-unless non-saiyans
- less filler
- new planets
- new races
- more comedy
- less goku focus
- at least decent animation
- cool techniques

Krejlooc

Banned
As much hate as GT gets, I thought it's very last scene was an awesome end to the entire saga. I loved the final words, "until we meet again." I know I probably won't like this new show anywhere near the amount I liked the original shows, but I always have loved dragonball. My mindset following GT, silly as it sounds, was that it would never end. There was always more exciting adventures for goku and pals.

I am so happy this is happening. The 14 year old in me is screaming for joy.

Mortemis

Banned
Would rather have a Gohan goes to University anime tbh.

Still, how could I not be hyped as fuck for this. I enjoyed BoG so it's not like I don't have any hope for this, but they got a long way to make a new series that will be really enjoyable.

Krejlooc

Banned
Toriyama has nothing to do with GT, has come out and said GT is not canon, and this show is developed by Toriyama.

So not retconned. It was never con to begin with.

GT was fun in the beginning then just gradually lost steam and became disjointed. The Baby Saga follows the same beats as any typical dragonball saga (and was probably the best part of GT as a whole), but the super 17 saga, while an awesome concept, felt so rushed and disjointed. It's like, what, 5 episodes long? Then the Evil Shenron saga just happens out of nowhere. Of course, the US release of GT is all fucked up, because it aired out of order.

GT had awesome music, though. They destroyed that part in the US release with god awful death metal music and rap.

Wazzy

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this but if they finally give Gohan and Vegeta the focus and not all Goku, I'll be happy.

Vice

I don't think Goku doing all the heavy lifting will change. Even in Dragon Ball all the side characters just existed to get beat by the main villain of the arc so Goku could step in and fight them.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't think Goku doing all the heavy lifting will change. Even in Dragon Ball all the side characters just existed to get beat by the main villain of the arc so Goku could step in and fight them.

They had smarter ways of getting other characters involved in Dragon Ball, though. They often leaned on interesting technique or magic to counter goku's godly strength. My favorite part of the entire dragonball mythos is the parts from the 22nd budokai to the 23rd budokai. It's like 3 sagas at once, but they all flow into one giant overlapping story. I love how the Mafuba was a deadly technique during those times, and how Goku had to think on his feet to counter stuff like Tenshinhan's 4x4 eyes.

Goku vs Tenshinhan in the 23rd budokai is probably my single favorite fight in the entire series. Just technique after technique after technique.

andymcc

Banned
Vegeta and Goku and leagues and leagues ahead of the others now thanks to their new forms from BoG/RoF. What is the side cast even going to do?

They'll job or have side villains with powers scaled more to their abilities ala One Piece/every other shonen series

Krejlooc

Banned
Vegeta and Goku and leagues and leagues ahead of the others now thanks to their new forms from BoG/RoF. What is the side cast even going to do?

I always wondered what would happen if Piccolo went to hell to find and merge with Piccolo Daimaou. He gets radically stronger with every namekian he got, and merging with kami was such a huge boost because he was "finally united again." Except he's not - there's still a huge part of him left in hell.

Respect

It is why I don't get my hopes too high, I don't hate Goku at all, I like him. I'm just tired of him being top dog.

I always wondered what would happen if Piccolo went to hell to find and merge with Piccolo Daimaou. He gets radically stronger with every namekian he got, and merging with kami was such a huge boost because he was "finally united again." Except he's not - there's still a huge part of him left in hell.

He could always search out for Namekian warriors if there's any left I guess

TreIII

In the end, most of us have come to terms that Goku (or Vegeta) is likely going to be the main one taking on and taking down the final boss of an arc.

I think most of us are just hoping that there will be a good deal of competent subordinates that the likes of Piccolo, Gohan, Gotenks and even Tenshinan/Kururin/18/etc. can get some shine off of, and perhaps even get some long overdue upgrades. Even better if Goku/Vegeta somehow get wrecked enough that they have to get sidelined and force some of the guys and girls in the next tier to step up and buy them time to recover.

Snaku

Banned

That's an interesting idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom