• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

I wonder what are Toriyama's thoughts in all of this. If he is really excited for the new series or if he was just forced by Toei to make a new DB series. Someone needs to interview him ASAP! Because if in the end, it turns out that he was literally forced from Toei, then the series will turn as bad and lazy as GT... IMO of course.

Toei can't "force" anything out of him. Toriyama owns the Dragonball franchise. Now, the true matter is how involved he'll be with this project.

Even if he came up with the story and designs for this anime, it's still possible he won't have much to do with the project going forward.

I'm not anticipating it but I hope they let some women get in on the action. 18 and Videl are badass but horribly underutilized once they get husbands.

Acrylic7

was really hoping this was Dragonball reboot news -_-

Cant get exited for anything now. I mean how much fucking stronger can you get? Shits already spiraled out of control since forever ago.

Malajax

I wonder what are Toriyama's thoughts in all of this. If he is really excited for the new series or if he was just forced by Toei to make a new DB series. Someone needs to interview him ASAP! Because if in the end, it turns out that he was literally forced from Toei, then the series will turn as bad and lazy as GT... IMO of course.
All of his most recent interviews indicate that he's having the most fun with DB now that he's had in ages. He doesn't have to draw manga chapters week to week (which is grueling work as a young adult and he's 60 now), he just has to throw out ideas with an occasional character design. He's notoriously lazy, so this works out for him perfectly.

Pappasman

I just hope they step away from a group of fighters watching a slow 1on1 battle. Modernize the action a bit.

Other than that I'm hype as hell. I understand the pessimism from some people but honestly its not like late Z and GT were any good either. I'm just along for the ride and whatever happens.

NeonZ

Heh, Tenshinhan dodges an eye beam from Gero, stops Cell 2nd form for a while, something the androids couldn't do, doesn't immediately fall over to the Cell Jrs and at least exchanges one punch with them, and in the Buu Saga stops the blast from Buutenks that was about to kill Dende.

I guess it's debatable, but the only argument for him being only around Ginyu force or Freeza form 2 level is that everyone suddenly holds back when he's near, which is fairly ridiculous too.

Sephzilla

A SSJ1 would at most be able to delay him a little also. An SS1 is an extremely weak level compared to the current power scale.

Vegeta was technically just an SSJ1 when he could have killed 2nd Form Cell

just_saiyan_by_theacornmusicplayer-d4ns6ix.jpg

rrc1594

You could get away with Tien, but there is no fucking way Krillin is as strong as SSJ

I need some statics before I believe that

Everything DB since Battle of Gods has been awful so I can't say I'm particularly happy with this. Toriyama should lose the rights and go work on Kintoki instead of ruining DB. He's in "Darth Ickey" territory at the minute.

Battle of Gods was damn funny.

Jex

What makes SMC so bad?

Sailor Moon Crystal looks like hot garbage. It takes them several weeks to release an episode and yet the art and animation quality sits squarely at the level of 'filler' for any other show.
LOL not is this age of streaming. I'm sure dubs in local languages will follow within a year of the show's start too

I doubt that. These days they might even manage a simul-dub for something of this scale.
Starts in July

No PV or even character designs for the returning cast or any new characters

We have the chief director and some producers but no other staff

This is not filling with a ton of confidence now that I start thinking about this
Yeah those are generally big, big warning signs.

KHlover

Banned
Guys, you can't just throw blanket statements like "X is stronger than SSJ1" around. All Super Saiyan forms multiply your base power, there's no fixed power level for them.

For example SSJ Goku on Namek is way weaker than SSJ Goku during the Cell games who in turn is way weaker than SSJ Goku during the Boo saga.

Or for another example - SSJ2 Gohan during the Boo Saga is weaker than SSJ2 Gohan during the Cell Saga because his base power decreased.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Everything DB since Battle of Gods has been awful so I can't say I'm particularly happy with this. Toriyama should lose the rights and go work on Kintoki instead of ruining DB. He's in "Darth Ickey" territory at the minute.
...You mean the movie that has only been released in Japan yet?

I loved Battle of Gods. Thought it had great humor throughout, liked the storyline. Liked the Beerus / Whis characters and designs. Loved the battles. Loved Vegeta in that movie. Loved it all really.

Vegeta going nuts when Beerus slaps his woman down was awesome. The effects and animations were awesome throughout. The fight between Beerus and Goku was quite good.

Liked Battle of Gods no doubt.

rrc1594

Guys, you can't just throw blanket statements like "X is stronger than SSJ1" around. All Super Saiyan forms multiply your base power, there's no fixed power level for them.

For example SSJ Goku on Namek is way weaker than SSJ Goku during the Cell games who in turn is way weaker than SSJ Goku during the Boo saga.

Or for another example - SSJ2 Gohan during the Boo Saga is weaker than SSJ2 Gohan during the Cell Saga because his base power decreased.

That's what I was thinking

AdanVC

I highly doubt he is being forced, lol.

Toei can't "force" anything out of him. Toriyama owns the Dragonball franchise. Now, the true matter is how involved he'll be with this project.

Even if he came up with the story and designs for this anime, it's still possible he won't have much to do with the project going forward.

This is true. If he was forced by Toei in some way, then we would had a new DB series pretty much 3 years after the manga and the GT series finished or on the early 2000s when DB started to peak in popularity again.

All of his most recent interviews indicate that he's having the most fun with DB now that he's had in ages. He doesn't have to draw manga chapters week to week (which is grueling work as a young adult and he's 60 now), he just has to throw out ideas with an occasional character design. He's notoriously lazy, so this works out for him perfectly.

Totally agree. He has more freedom now that he is not tied up into a nightmarish schedule as when he was a mangaka so probably that's why he agreed to give DB another chance, especially with how succesful the two most recent movies have been in Japan. Hahah yeah in his stories he always took whenever opportunity possible to express just how lazy he was sometimes, especially when he was drawing Dr. Slump with his alter ego Tori-bot.

Vice

Tien was able to fight second form cell for a while. Second form cell is a lot stronger than a super saiyan 1.
His tri-beam isn't a normal attack though. It sacrafices his life for more power. It isn't really an indication of how strong he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom