• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee-Row

Banned
I hope the theme song is good. Wasn't really a fan of Dragon Soul on DBZ Kai. Cha-La-Head-Cha-La and Makafushigi Adventure will always be GOAT.

I'm dying to see any sort of concept art, footage or production stills from this!

I have to know Where it picks up at, as far as the timeline goes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I was hyped up for this when it was announced last year, but with the two recent movies, I'm way more concerned than I was before. GT was utter trash, but there's stuff in the most recent movies that rivals the crap from that series.

Caayn

If this takes place after BoG and FnF you'll never see SSJ3 again, unless one of the younger Saiyans use it, like Gotenks or Pan.
Oh yeah, give us a female Super Saiyan for a change. Also wasn't Pan said to be the Saiyan with the most potential at one point?

I was hyped up for this when it was announced last year, but with the two recent movies, I'm way more concerned than I was before. GT was utter trash, but there's stuff in the most recent movies that rivals the crap from that series.

Eh, at this point I'll take whatever I can get!

It wasn't announced last year, it was announced yesterday...

They would have to move the story forward quite a bit for Pan to be doing that kind of stuff.

If they want a slightly older Pan involved they could always have her train for a few days (i.e. years) in the Chamber of Time (or whatever's called in the english dub) in Kami-sama's palace and have her come out as an older girl.

I'm not saying they will or they should. I'm saying that if they want Pan involved there's ways to get around the age thing.

I'd love to see a female saiyan getting involved and, finally, have a canonical female SSJ.

VariantX

i wonder what will be the excuse this time that gotenks and trunks are still midgets if this takes place more than a couple of years after Fukkatsu no F.

Sandfox

If they want a slightly older Pan involved they could always have her train for a few days (i.e. years) in the Chamber of Time (or whatever's called in the english dub) in Kami-sama's palace and have her come out as an older girl.

I'm not saying they will or they should. I'm saying that if they want Pan involved there's ways to get around the age thing.

I'd love to see a female saiyan getting involved and, finally, have a canonical female SSJ.

The Room/Chamber was destroyed in the Buu saga. They are ways to have her involved, but they would either have to have a time skip or get creative. We'll see what they have planned though since we don't even know how far after the movies this takes place.

Oblivion

It wasn't announced last year, it was announced yesterday...

Officially, yes. But last year (or whenever Battle of the Gods was released), they said that they were planning a new series. They were mum on it for a long time afterwards, but they did say it was in the works.

Well...

- Super Saiyan God is one of the dumbest things to come out of Toriyama. It both makes no goddamned sense within the context of the super saiyan legend, and it looks lame as hell. I wasn't really hot on SSJ4, but that looks a hella bit more interesting than SSJG.
- This has been covered quite a bit in the other thread, but Frieza's ridiculous power up? No, just no.

There are other things, but those are the biggest ones that come to mind.

munchie64

Well...

- Super Saiyan God is one of the dumbest things to come out of Toriyama. It both makes no goddamned sense within the context of the super saiyan legend, and it looks lame as hell. I wasn't really hot on SSJ4, but that looks a hella bit more interesting than SSJG.
- This has been covered quite a bit in the other thread, but Frieza's ridiculous power up? No, just no.

There are other things, but those are the biggest ones that come to mind.
Those are understandable (
Although I would argue that massive power ups are an important, long lasting part of the franchise
) but do you remember just how bad some of the shit in GT is? The fucking Para Para brothers? Babi is a fricken joke. The completely underutilized Super 17 stuff?
It's possible my forgiving nature for the Toriyama helmed stuff comes greatly from tone and character. The tone and characters of the series were completely fucked by Toei in GT as far as I'm concerned.

Oblivion

Those are understandable (
Although I would argue that massive power ups are an important, long lasting part of the franchise
) but do you remember just how bad some of the shit in GT is? The fucking Para Para brothers? Babi is a fricken joke. The completely underutilized Super 17 stuff?
It's possible my forgiving nature for the Toriyama helmed stuff comes greatly from tone and character. The tone and characters of the series were completely fucked by Toei in GT as far as I'm concerned.

Oh don't get wrong. I'm certainly no apologist for GT and I totally agree with you. And the new series would have to be especially terrible to be on the same level. I'm just saying based on what I've seen so far, I'm way more concerned than I was a year ago.

CryptiK

Yup

TuZ6g9M.jpg
Fuck you Toasted TV!

KHlover

Banned
The Room/Chamber was destroyed in the Buu saga. They are ways to have her involved, but they would either have to have a time skip or get creative. We'll see what they have planned though since we don't even know how far after the movies this takes place.

No, the portal to the dimension was destroyed. The Hyperbolic Time Chamber itself, or rather the parallel dimension it resides in, is intact. Dende or Popo should be able to fix that pretty easily. All they need to do is repair the old portal or create a new one.

Oblivion

Well it sorta matters. Makes it sound like you're just concern trolling

How so? I figured that given Bills comments at the end of BotG, and some line that Toriyama (or someone at Toei) said last year about a possible new series being created, I just figured it was a done deal.

None of this takes away from my point about being concerned about the direction this new series would be going in.

Guys I implore you take it easy on the Resurrection of Freiza movie spoilers. Its been out in Japan only for a few weeks and its still in theaters only so setting aside any moral issues (i.e. if you don't live in Japan you obviously pirated it) this isn't the place to talk about the new movie without spoiler tags!

I take it you haven't seen the latest movie.

I'm quoting that but I added the spoiler tag. That sort of crap with no tags is what I'm talking about. It wasn't a direct spoiler but it was a very not-subtle hint close to

--"Gee I wish X happened"
--"I take it you haven't seen the new movie" (therefore X will happen or something really close to).

Cut it out, please!

KHlover

Banned
Guys I implore you take it easy on the Resurrection of Freiza movie spoilers. Its been out in Japan only for a few weeks and its still in theaters only so setting aside any moral issues (i.e. if you don't live in Japan you obviously pirated it) this isn't the place to talk about the new movie without spoiler tags!

Uhh...we basically have the entire plot in text form. That's a pretty huge assumption you're making here. You could also have come to the same conclusion as the poster you quoted by watching the trailers/teasers, no one but Goku and Vegeta being worth a damn isn't a spoiler.

Uhh...we basically have the entire plot in text form. That's a pretty huge assumption you're making here. You could also have come to the same conclusion as the poster you quoted by watching the trailers/teasers, no one but Goku and Vegeta being worth a damn isn't a spoiler.

Would you be willing to bet your house that that was the case (if spoilers werent available yet)? For all I know Goten and Trunks save the day.

Even if its all in text form they shouldn't be in this thread without spoiler tags, please.

KHlover

Banned
Would you be willing to bet your house that that was the case (if spoilers werent available yet)? For all I know Goten and Trunks save the day.

Even if its all in text form they shouldn't be in this thread without spoiler tags, please.

resofoks8x.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPybLK-yMs

This beanstalk is Gohan, formerly the strongest person in the universe. Stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks. Toriyama made it clear that Goten and Trunks neglected their training after the Boo Saga, so they didn't get any stronger as well.

Goku and Vegeta are shown to train with Whis in the trailers. They are the ones with God Ki. Why yes, I probably would have taken that bet. Of course there could have been an insane plot twist and I'd lost my hypothetical house, but it was pretty clear from the beginning that everyone but Goku and Vegeta were degraded to mook battles.

VegettoEX

Neo Member
Does it really matter, dude? Why do you care?

Because bad information is bad information. This is precisely how rumors get started, spread, get used as a reference back to themselves, etc. See: continued battle against AF, Hoshi, etc.

There was absolutely, 100%, positively no announcement of a new series being created before April 28 when Dragon Ball Super was unveiled. There was no press conference in conjunction with Battle of Gods, Toriyama didn't say anything, there was no commitment to a 100-episode series... all total B.S.

I'm sorry that you were misinformed on this subject, but for people like myself, it's incredibly important that this kind of information is well-documented. I can't speak for hwateber, but I do take issue with off-hand remarks and indignation about this kind of stuff, because... well... this is what I do.

Because bad information is bad information. This is precisely how rumors get started, spread, get used as a reference back to themselves, etc. See: continued battle against AF, Hoshi, etc.

There was absolutely, 100%, positively no announcement of a new series being created before April 28 when Dragon Ball Super was unveiled. There was no press conference in conjunction with Battle of Gods, Toriyama didn't say anything, there was no commitment to a 100-episode series... all total B.S.

I'm sorry that you were misinformed on this subject, but for people like myself, it's incredibly important that this kind of information is well-documented. I can't speak for hwateber, but I do take issue with off-hand remarks and indignation about this kind of stuff, because... well... this is what I do.
I do remember overhearing some guy in a game shop talking about Battle of Gods when it was announced and saying Toei was also planning a 100-episode series. Rumors are really easy to spread about this series.

Jaeger

I heard rumors. Nothing official, but rumors that if the film was successful a series could possibly follow. Nothing official in any capacity.

AdanVC

I'm rewatching all Dragon Ball since February. Watching 2 or 3 episodes per day. I'm now at the end of the Frieza saga and my god... That arc was really something. The most intense, exciting and entertaining arc of the series IMHO. I will cry tears of joy if Dragon Ball Super has a plot with something as exciting and intense as the original Frieza arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom