• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Come on guys, if it's a new series, then people are going to get trained again. Depowering people is just a way so the training arcs can be reintroduced.

RedAssedApe

Banned
eh i don't mind gohan. fits his character and how he no longer trains. although i guess most people are just pointing out the noodle arms. haha which i agree might be a little excessive. his build should probably be more similar to ssjg goku in botg

i also prefer that each character have his own look and style.

zulux21

Gohan please be awesome #TeamGohan

im hoping both gohan and pan are awesome. I so want Pan to play the role that gohan had in the frieza saga (and then later follow his footsteps into the cell saga). Ideally Bra is a warrior in super as well instead of a stuck up princess like in GT.

im hoping both gohan and pan are awesome. I so want Pan to play the role that gohan had in the frieza saga (and then later follow his footsteps into the cell saga). Ideally Bra is a warrior in super as well instead of a stuck up princess like in GT.

Hopefully there is a well-developed Gohan-Pan relationship in this series, instead of how they completely sidelined Gohan's father role in GT and basically made Goku Pan's father.

Gohan please be awesome #TeamGohan

B4GQ1bMIAAESGhg.jpg

EGOMON

Gohan have the potential Toriyama need to fuckin utilize his latent power, I will never forget Gohan SSJ2 moment it was so emotional yet so powerful it gives me goosebumps to this day.
Please Toriyama give us the Gohan we deserve

zulux21

Hopefully there is a well-developed Gohan-Pan relationship in this series, instead of how they completely sidelined Gohan's father role in GT and basically made Goku Pan's father.
it would be nice to see a decent father child relationship in the db universe in general, closest thing I can think of is king cold and freiza and they didn't have the best relationship unless it came to revenge either.
shouldn't Pan be part Saiyan too

can we finally get a badass lady Saiyan

note: I have never watched GT

Pan is 1/4 saiyan 3/4 human. (with parents that run around as super heroes... though I can't recall if videl being a super hero is cannon or just from a movie)
Bra would be 1/2 saiyan 1/2 human. (with a father who no doubt would train her to be better than Pan)

ideally at least one of them will go SSJ.

zulux21

Yeah, I thought so. And I guess she wrecks Goten at the very end of DBZ, so that's great.

She should probably go Super Saiyan.

yeah, pan is clearly being raised as a warrior in dbz given the tournament at the end. I am hoping by a few years after the movies, that it's actually a few years from the end of dbz and the next generation plays a proper role this time around. Don't get me wrong watching goku fight is in general fun, but it would be nice if fights were designed a lot more like one piece is and most of the characters get their chance to shine in a given arc. Goku can take the main bad guy, but vegeta and gohan and pan and what not all have important people to deal with as well.

At the very least, we all know at some point in the first fight krillian will try to help and be KOed with a single hit >.>;

zulux21

It's 2015 and they'll assuredly want to sell more merchandizing to women so the odds are good at there being notable saiyan women.

that, or Yamcha gives up being a fighter and instead uses the dragon balls to become a Bishōnen and becomes a model and becomes the face of CC and thus his sexy youthful body is all over everything in the show.

Your thoughts seem more logical though lol.

NeonZ

Gohan have the potential Toriyama need to fuckin utilize his latent power, I will never forget Gohan SSJ2 moment it was so emotional yet so powerful it gives me goosebumps to this day.

I don't think Gohan will ever take the role of main hero again. In a tv show though, there should be enough time to give him a big power up again... only to make him fail to defeat whoever's the main villain at the time anyway.

Except that:

1) I didn't spread such false information.
2) I wasn't misinformed. I never claimed what I read was an official confirmation. I just assumed that it was a given by that point.
Really now?
I was hyped up for this when it was announced last year, but with the two recent movies, I'm way more concerned than I was before. GT was utter trash, but there's stuff in the most recent movies that rivals the crap from that series.

Officially, yes. But last year (or whenever Battle of the Gods was released), they said that they were planning a new series. They were mum on it for a long time afterwards, but they did say it was in the works.
Doesn't sound like you assumed anything, you outright said they announced they were working on a new series, which was false. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

Gohan in the Cell Games proved he didn't have what it takes to be the main guy. He didn't want to fight at first. I know that's what Gohan fans love to criticize Goku over. He didn't understand Gohan supposedly. It only made sense that in the Buu saga he stopped training during the 7 peaceful years.

I hope not. Gohan cheapened what Goku (the original prodigy) did and then goten and trunks further cheapened that. Pan doing the same would be ridiculous as well. It just ruins the characters. For example, part of what Gohan fans love about Gohan is that potential he had right? Well Trunks and Goten made that seem like a joke by turning SS at an earlier age. Does that mean they have the most potential? It just takes away from the characters.

I would rather Pan be her own unique character.

I hope not. Gohan cheapened what Goku (the original prodigy) did and then goten and trunks further cheapened that. Pan doing the same would be ridiculous as well. It just ruins the characters. For example, part of what Gohan fans love about Gohan is that potential he had right? Well Trunks and Goten made that seem like a joke by turning SS at an earlier age. Does that mean they have the most potential? It just takes away from the characters.

IMO it's pretty plausible that Goten and Trunks were more easily able to attain Super Saiyan because their fathers had both already achieved it when they were born - it passed on, so to speak.

Gohan from the beginning of the series was built up as having the potential to be the strongest being alive so I don't think letting him attain Super Saiyan is "cheap."

Vegeta hair plox

FAP3g0i.png

Can someone make me look like Gohan?

FCdogpQ.jpg

Could I take all 3 of Goku's family?
Or just Gohan for the middle head if that'd be too awkward.

7ErTgrT.png
WkO6bJE.png

Well, since other characters are being requested too, how about Roshi's glasses on Captain Cuttlefish?

xvOPaDS.jpg

Can i get some goku hair on my avatar pls and if it is not too much to ask can somebody pls remove whitebox around it please :D

oUn69TY.png

RedAssedApe

Banned
hope they spend some time showing the characters in their daily lives instead of going straight too "oh noes new powerful enemy detected. let's train and fight them!". saiyaman arc was my favorite part of buu saga.

you know everyone wants to see vegeta trying to adjust to peaceful daily life with the family. those were the best scenes in GT :p

IMO it's pretty plausible that Goten and Trunks were more easily able to attain Super Saiyan because their fathers had both already achieved it when they were born - it passed on, so to speak.

Gohan from the beginning of the series was built up as having the potential to be the strongest being alive so I don't think letting him attain Super Saiyan is "cheap."

Goten and Trunks being able to attain SS at an early age is stupid. At least Gohan had to fight villains that forced him to raise his power level. He also got that power up. Goten and Trunks on the other hand? They lived in peace. Goten was trained by Chichi. What could they have possibly have had to endure that allowed them to become SS? Goku witnessed his best friends die after being on a high from thinking he defeated Freiza. Those two little shits?
FD3QWdm.png

It was cheap because he had barely any training. He had 1 year with Piccolo, 3 years in preparation for the Androids, and then a couple of months in the time chamber. That's without mentioning the free power up on Namek that involved no risk. On the other hand, you have Goku who trained with Grandpa Gohan while he was a kid and growing up in the woods. He trained with Master Roshi, Korin, Kami/Popo, and then King Kai throughout his life. In the original Dragon Ball, Goku is the original prodigy. In Dragon Ball Z, that trend continues by revealing that he's a low class Saiyan. It shouldn't be possible for him to not only become stronger than Vegeta, but become the first SS and defeat Freiza.

TGNz0rC.png

Then the show contradicts itself by having Gohan have even more potential. All that Goku becoming the first SS even though he's a low class saiyan stuff is thrown out the window. It would be like Michael Jordan's son becoming the goat after just starting to play as a freshmen in high school.

You could argue that what Goku did is also cheap, but that's why I said he was the original prodigy. It's like the show is shitting out prodigies day and night after Gohan. It just cheapens what Goku did. Goten and Trunks just cheapened what Gohan did.

I guess I should be glad Broly isn't canon because he steals Gohan's shit even harder.

woopWOOP

Hope the series features a lot of the returning cast members, like Roshi kicking ass in that pre-movie manga chapter. I know it's the shounen way, but I never liked how they basically ditched the weaker characters in the later seasons of Z.

Ah whatever, kinda hyped. Dragonball'd the avatar. Lemmy was missing something anyway.

Daingurse

I hope Tien comes back. He had some of the best fights because of how technical he is. He hasn't stopped training either.

Wish Toriyama would take some notes from Togashi's series Hunter x Hunter, and spread the love in-general. Tien is easily my favorite human, and I'd love to see him shine and have some relevancy. Piccolo and Gohan aswell. I really liked Kid/Teen Gohan too, so everything with that character post Cell has been a damn shame.

Jaeger

Bleach does a great job of keeping everyone relevant during fights. Dragon Ball just makes anyone not Goku and Vegeta get shitted on.

I wish they would find some way to power up Piccolo in the new series. Make him strong enough to hold his own against the new enemies that will appear.

Vice

Plenty of characters cheapen what Goku did. Him doinng the kamehameha, climbing Korin's tower and getting Kami's training all got replicated rather easily by everyone from Yamcha to Yajirobe even though when Goku did it the accomplishments were seen as huge once in a hundred year events. It's been a art of Dragon Ball from the start. Remarkable powers become mundane by the time the next major arc starts so that the weaker charcters can get a good fight before getting bodied by the new villain or his top henchmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom