• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

resofoks8x.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPybLK-yMs

This beanstalk is Gohan, formerly the strongest person in the universe. Stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks. Toriyama made it clear that Goten and Trunks neglected their training after the Boo Saga, so they didn't get any stronger as well.

Goku and Vegeta are shown to train with Whis in the trailers. They are the ones with God Ki. Why yes, I probably would have taken that bet. Of course there could have been an insane plot twist and I'd lost my hypothetical house, but it was pretty clear from the beginning that everyone but Goku and Vegeta were degraded to mook battles.

Wow. Why the fuck is he so skinny?

Zoolader

You've had almost 20 years, tho!

Yeah well I was tired of waiting for Funimation (I think) to trickle out episodes in America and then I started high school where it was no longer cool to watch anime. It was also the Buu saga... Now with a new series coming out which has my interest, I feel like I have to finish the old ones.

If Toriyama wants to keep Gohan on the sidelines as a book-nerd then keep him there. Don't just bring him out on the frontlines to get jobbed and shame him further and then explain it with "he doesn't train!"

Wow. Why the fuck is he so skinny?

True.

Gohan after Cell didn't or hardly trained for seven years and pretty much looked the same from a muscle stand point.

He became a family man in the DB world.

Which is a nice change from Goku and Vegetas obsession with fighting. Now if Toriyama could only think of something to make Gohan useful via his new strengths [he's supposed to be smart] - Something along the lines of the Bulma's Blutzwave from GT except not as dumb.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ugh, Dragonball should have stayed in the 80s and 90s. This "revival" thing just gets sadder with every thing that comes out where you know its just more milking with Toriyama's weird decisions for the franchise.

I have like 4 different Dragonball/Z posters hung up in my room from back in the day, but this kind of thing is just dumb.

Continue styling on Gohan's loser status, continue bringing out dumbass transformations on top of the transformations we already had(while continuing to neglect those) and bringing back bad guys that should have just stayed dead, continue bringing out more powerful enemies while keeping the scale of the battles the same because you don't know how to write a fight that won't end with the planet being blown up with a finger flick.

Man i feel old and cynical

andymcc

Banned
Ugh, Dragonball should have stayed in the 80s and 90s. This "revival" thing just gets sadder with every thing that comes out where you know its just more milking with Toriyama's weird decisions for the franchise.

I have like 4 different Dragonball/Z posters hung up in my room from back in the day, but this kind of thing is just dumb.

Continue styling on Gohan's loser status, continue bringing out dumbass transformations on top of the transformations we already had(while continuing to neglect those) and bringing back bad guys that should have just stayed dead, continue bringing out more powerful enemies while keeping the scale of the battles the same because you don't know how to write a fight that won't end with the planet being blown up with a finger flick.

Dragon Ball is the most popular and financially viable Japanese animated product from the 80s/90s and it's sort of surprising this level of revival didn't occur sooner.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dragon Ball is the most popular and financially viable Japanese animated product from the 80s/90s and it's sort of surprising this level of revival didn't occur sooner.

Sure, its popular, doesn't make it any better how the actual quality of these new efforts have been. Its a shame. Its done specifically because the brand has a lot of staying power, not because of any creative aspirations Akira Toriyama may have still had at any point.

And you can definitely tell.

andymcc

Banned
Sure, its popular, doesn't make it any better how the actual quality of these new efforts have been. Its a shame. Its done specifically because the brand has a lot of staying power, not because of any creative aspirations Akira Toriyama may have still had at any point.

I think Battle of the Gods is pretty great.

zulux21

In the US.
One piece is technically from the 90s as well and that has long surpassed dragonball in sales.

but your point still stands, it's surprising it took so long for a revival. As long as the series is remotely on par with the buu saga it should do well. It is weird however that they didn't announce this and start releasing it as a manga first though, though since it's not based off a manga hopefully the pacing will be good and there won't be any real filler (aka it will feel more like kai)

battle of the gods was easily the best dbz movie I have seen (not that most of the others set the bar very high lol), and showed that the dbz universe can still handle it not being about fights all the time. to me it was a great revival and gives me lots of hope for the new series.

beyond that, during the designing of the dragon ball mmo toriyama was quoted a few times that working with them had really made him want to go back and revist the DB universe. it's quite possible he had been working on outlining a new db series since back then.

The newest content has been really good though.

battle of the gods was easily the best dbz movie I have seen (not that most of the others set the bar very high lol), and showed that the dbz universe can still handle it not being about fights all the time. to me it was a great revival and gives me lots of hope for the new series.

Agree 100%. If the series can maintain that level of quality we'll be just fine.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Because bad information is bad information. This is precisely how rumors get started, spread, get used as a reference back to themselves, etc. See: continued battle against AF, Hoshi, etc.

There was absolutely, 100%, positively no announcement of a new series being created before April 28 when Dragon Ball Super was unveiled. There was no press conference in conjunction with Battle of Gods, Toriyama didn't say anything, there was no commitment to a 100-episode series... all total B.S.

I'm sorry that you were misinformed on this subject, but for people like myself, it's incredibly important that this kind of information is well-documented. I can't speak for hwateber, but I do take issue with off-hand remarks and indignation about this kind of stuff, because... well... this is what I do.

Except that:

1) I didn't spread such false information.
2) I wasn't misinformed. I never claimed what I read was an official confirmation. I just assumed that it was a given by that point.

Merc_

Battle of Gods is good. Sorry.

andymcc

Banned
In the US.
One piece is technically from the 90s as well and that has long surpassed dragonball in sales.

but your point still stands, it's surprising it took so long for a revival. As long as the series is remotely on par with the buu saga it should do well. It is weird however that they didn't announce this and start releasing it as a manga first though, though since it's not based off a manga hopefully the pacing will be good and there won't be any real filler (aka it will feel more like kai)

it's passed Dragon Ball in sales because it has more volumes/ran longer. Dragon Ball still has greater sales per volume.

Know these are fake, but introducing a bunch of other Gods based on the Chinese Zodiac would be a cool idea...

I want more cool Toriyama-aliens over plain-old human looking dudes overall.

What the series needs is better concepts of villains, not designs.

Frieza was like the fascist dictator controlling the universe. Cell/Androids were the "science gone wrong" type of villains, not too unlike the villain for the new avengers movie.

Buu was like...? Some weird alien that absorbed the god of the southern part of the galaxy and was like bubblegum and...huh? The concept is too convoluted.

Give me a good tropish villain set inside the DB universe with Toriyama involved and I'm sure it will be good. However, I'm sure they will bring more Kai crap, add and alter a bunch of characters to the point of being unrelatable and have more "god of destruction attends bulma's birthday party" type scenes

Know these are fake, but introducing a bunch of other Gods based on the Chinese Zodiac would be a cool idea...

I want more cool Toriyama-aliens over plain-old human looking dudes overall.

Ooh, is this based on the Zodiac? It's not 100% I guess because Beerus is a cat and not part of the Chinese Zodiac, right?

Sandfox

What the series needs is better concepts of villains, not designs.

Frieza was like the fascist dictator controlling the universe. Cell/Androids were the "science gone wrong" type of villains, not too unlike the villain for the new avengers movie.

Buu was like...? Some weird alien that absorbed the god of the southern part of the galaxy and was like bubblegum and...huh? The concept is too convoluted.

Give me a good tropish villain set inside the DB universe with Toriyama involved and I'm sure it will be good. However, I'm sure they will bring more Kai crap, add and alter a bunch of characters to the point of being unrelatable and have more "god of destruction attends bulma's birthday party" type scenes
Buu was a djinn.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ooh, is this based on the Zodiac? It's not 100% I guess because Beerus is a cat and not part of the Chinese Zodiac, right?

Pretty sure...

Dragon, Rat, Pig, Ox, Snake, Beerus, Goat, Monkey, Dog, Rooster, Rabbit, and Horse.

There's no tiger, so I guess the intent was for Beerus to fulfill that role since he's cat-like.

Actually, there is a Cat in Chinese Zodiac lore, but it lost its spot to the Rat.

zulux21

it's passed Dragon Ball in sales because it has more volumes/ran longer. Dragon Ball still has greater sales per volume.

sales per volume is true, but DB has the edge in the fact that it came out much earlier.
also One Piece keeps setting record first print runs, and record monthly sales. (but those weren't tracked when DB was coming out)

beyond that if we look at this data taken from here

we see db has 230 million sales over 42 volumes or 5.11 mil per volume (and is off the market for the most part, though I wouldn't be surprised if it came back this summer)
one piece has 270 over 68 or 3.97 which supports what you said. If we however look at the one piece numbers and look at the current numbers taken from here
we see one piece is at 345 mil at 77 volumes or 4.48 mil per volume which while overall is still lower than db, is still a massive gain, and if we subtract the number of volumes from sales we get that with the release of 9 new volumes one piece did 75 mil or 8.33 mil per volume since then (obviously some of those sales would be for older volumes but most would be for the newer volumes which wouldn't be surprising given they have had a number of times that the first print runs have been 3.5+miland have sold out right away) which is quite a bit higher than the db sales per volume.

the scary thing about one piece is despite how long it has been going on, it hasn't seemed to reach its peak yet.

I do wish I could find actual sales numbers of the more recent volumes of one piece and of db and what not but I can't seem to find any :/

though of course no matter how successful one piece is, it will never truly surpass DB because it wouldn't exist without DB :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve

You worded this better than I could. All reasons why I can't get excited for a new DB series even though there's certainly a part of me that wants to.

I think it's safe to assume Gohan's muscles grow when he goes SSJ. But he has long tracksuit sleeves when he transforms so... (did they do that on purpose JUST so we wouldn't see them? -_-' )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom