• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the crazy transformations and forms from Dragonball Heroes will rub off on DBS. Some are cool, but some are almost fan fiction tier. Quick list:

Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta
Super Saiyan 3 Gogeta
Super Saiyan 3 Vegito
Super Saiyan 3 Future Gohan
Super Saiyan 3 Future Trunks and Present Trunks
Super Saiyan 3 and 4 Broly
Super Saiyan 2 Bardock
Adult Gotenks
Mystic Pikkon
Kid Buu w/ Babidi or Kibito Kai absorbed
Super 17 w/ Cell absorbed

Depending on how far in the future they go, an adult Gotenks is possible. Besides that, all I really would like to see is a Super Saiyan Pan.

I-hate-u

I disagree with the GT design love here. I hate them all. Even the Blue/Yellow outfit change for Goku. No thanks. I like this Orange Ghi the best, but Blue green outfit at the end of Z is nice too.

Mystic Pikkon??

latest

How the heck is Super 17 with Cell absorbed even possible?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

There are no limits to what DBH dishes out:

Oh yeah, here's Super 17 with Android 16 absorbed:

kewlmyc

There are no limits to what DBH dishes out:

Oh yeah, here's Super 17 with Android 16 absorbed:

I think I threw up a little. I like the canon where Android 17 decided to chill and become a forest ranger. Then started up a family and occasionally visits 18/Krillin/Marron.

NeonZ

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of GT but Goten was one of my favourite parts. His design and personality is actually different compared to setting him up as Goku No.2 which made him kind of boring in DBZ.

End of Z Goten was already set up as disliking training and wanting to go on a date. GT didn't really add anything to him aside from changing his design.

jwk94

I wonder if the crazy transformations and forms from Dragonball Heroes will rub off on DBS. Some are cool, but some are almost fan fiction tier. Quick list:

Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta
Super Saiyan 3 Gogeta
Super Saiyan 3 Vegito
Super Saiyan 2 Bardock
Adult Gotenks
Mystic Pikkon

Depending on how far in the future they go, an adult Gotenks is possible. Besides that, all I really would like to see is a Super Saiyan Pan.
Jesus I forgot about pan. I'm praying they keep her GT design....and voice actress for the eventual dub.

Zubz

Banned
I think I threw up a little. I like the canon where Android 17 decided to chill and become a forest ranger. Then started up a family and occasionally visits 18/Krillin/Marron.

Oh wow, I forgot all about that. I'm hoping that if he shows up, he stays a park ranger.

Wazzy

Banned
End of Z Goten was already set up as disliking training and wanting to go on a date. GT didn't really add anything to him aside from changing his design.

Vegeta's design for GT after the moustache-shaving was AMAZING. Easily my favorite Vegeta design ever.

Same! I actually really loved Vegeta, Goten and Gohan's designs and at least they kept Gohan buff in GT, even if I think GT isn't very good. I don't think the designs look the same at all and Gohan and Goten are related so it makes sense they'll look a little alike.

just started watching some of the last DBZ episodes again.

lmao Goku is such a jerk, dude just flat out ignores all of his friends for years to train and just laughs when they call him out on it.

Shauni

Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta
Super Saiyan 3 Gogeta
Super Saiyan 3 Vegito
Super Saiyan 2 Bardock
Adult Gotenks
Mystic Pikkon

What the hell am I reading here? I mean, some of this okay, but some of this is...just so bad.

Adult Gotenks is probably gonna happen and it'll be awesome.

If he does I hope he doesn't look like he does in Heroes, the shirt, boots and gloves completely ruin it.
Then again a lot of that comes from GT Trunks, which is weird because the outfits of those fusing shouldn't affect a fusion dance fusion, but Heroes is pretty dumb.

Sandfox

Makes you wonder why didnt Kid Goku just use SSj2 alot of the times during the start of crappy DBGT. Seems like it would have made things easier like with Rildo.

Goku was going easy on Rildo the whole time(which is BS when you consider that Rildo is stronger than Buu).

I'll say something very controversial, I want more female fighter's on Goku's team
Starting with Pan and have her go Super Saiyan against the first major villain
Android 18 gets an upgrade to Super Android 18

munchie64

I'll say something very controversial, I want more female fighter's on Goku's team
I don't see how you'd think that's controversial? Unless you think Dragon Ball fans are sexiest or something lol

I don't see how you'd think that's controversial? Unless you think Dragon Ball fans are sexiest or something lol

Well Dragonball is a Shonen series and some like it being the Goku Show
I would rather Goku & Vegeta act as Mentors for the next generation

Controversial in terms that it would unusual for the genre

just started watching some of the last DBZ episodes again.

lmao Goku is such a jerk, dude just flat out ignores all of his friends for years to train and just laughs when they call him out on it.

Me too. I pulled out some volumes and read them. Haven't read it in years.

But it's also not like Bulma could have dropped by in those five years. Their flying cars fit in capsules for crying out loud.

We can rule that out. Pan will be too young and SS wouldn't be strong enough for the major villain.

munchie64

Well Dragonball is a Shonen series and some like it being the Goku Show
I would rather Goku & Vegeta act as Mentors for the next generation

Controversial in terms that it would unusual for the genre
Ohhh. Well I'm sure there's some females that can join the useless team that just takes on mooks :p

Seriously though if this is post End-of-Z I really expect Pan to play a decent part.

We can rule that out. Pan will be too young and SS wouldn't be strong enough for the major villain.

But wasn't Pan mentioned as this prodigy and at the end of Z she has a rather high power level? SSJ was always a multiplier right and not a constant value?

That's another thing, make it about skill and technique, something Western Comics have been doing right, no matter how absurd Captain America taking on Infinity Thanos may seem

Ohhh. Well I'm sure there's some females that can join the useless team that just takes on mooks :p

Seriously though if this is post End-of-Z I really expect Pan to play a decent part.

Would also like to see some friendly aliens, I'd say go cosmic but that may jinx the show into GT territory

But wasn't Pan mentioned as this prodigy and at the end of Z she has a rather high power level? SSJ was always a multiplier right and not a constant value?

That's another thing, make it about skill and technique, something Western Comics have been doing right, no matter how absurd Captain America taking on Infinity Thanos may seem

Would also like to see some friendly aliens, I'd say go cosmic but that may jinx the show into GT territory

I mean she was really strong for her age, but even turning SS would be really weak at this point given how strong Goku and Vegeta are. I'm also not sure what part of Z is this taking place. Is it directly after the movies or at the end of Z period? I was thinking it would take place right after the movies.

munchie64

I mean she was really strong for her age, but even turning SS would be really weak at this point given how strong Goku and Vegeta are. I'm also not sure what part of Z is this taking place. Is it directly after the movies or at the end of Z period? I was thinking it would take place right after the movies.
No one knows.
Well I'm sure someone knows.
But not any of us.

It's hard to say how strong Pan really was since she never really fought anyone 1on1 in GT. Probably not stronger than Gotan and Trunks as kids since they were SSJ and on Final Form Frieza's level.

I hate how vague they were with the "Super takes place after Goku defeats Majin Buu". It can't take place before/between the 2008 special and movies because nothing significant happens in between them. And I'm not sure if it can take place after RoF because isn't that around the last time Goku ever sees Bulma and the others for 5 years? If DBZ's ending still holds up.

I wish they'd just scrap DBZ's ending already so they can go all out and not have to worry about contradicting with that shit anymore.

It's hard to say how strong Pan really was since she never really fought anyone 1on1 in GT. Probably not stronger than Gotan and Trunks as kids since they were SSJ and on Final Form Frieza's level.

I hate how vague they were with the "Super takes place after Goku defeats Majin Buu". It can't take place before/between the 2008 special and movies because nothing significant happens in between them. And I'm not sure if it can take place after RoF because isn't that around the last time Goku ever sees Bulma and the others for 5 years? If DBZ's ending still holds up.

I wish they'd just scrap DBZ's ending already so they can go all out and not have to worry about contradicting with that shit anymore.

They really need to do this. Put Goku & Vegeta on a cosmic bus to Knowhere. They are way too strong for literally anyone to be a threat unless they go all bullshit Gold Freeza on us and even then he was a jobber.

Baki

Gohan have the potential Toriyama need to fuckin utilize his latent power, I will never forget Gohan SSJ2 moment it was so emotional yet so powerful it gives me goosebumps to this day.
Please Toriyama give us the Gohan we deserve
. This.

Gohan not taking the lead was my biggest disappointment.

Dat seed of power.

. This.

Gohan not taking the lead was my biggest disappointment.

Dat seed of power.

It's not like there isn't potential storylines they could do with Gohan. Perhaps with all these god-level threats appearing will force some inner-conflict within Gohan to surface in the new series. What's stronger? His newer more laid back, family man side or his Z- fighter side.

Goku and Vegeta fight for the thrill, Gohan fights if he has to. While he has the potential to far surpass everyone else. I could definitely imagine a storyline where there's a big threat coming and Gohan is forced to go back into training, but not only physically but mentally too. This time he's determined not to mess up, like he did with Cell and Buu. He got too cocky with both of them and the situation just got worse. That could be some interesting development.

They could also explore his Father role with Pan because lets face it, in GT Goku was basically Pan's Father.

Everything lines up perfectly for DBS to be after the end of Z. Also the final ending for Kai is about Goku reminiscing about previous tournaments at the end of Z and then Uub shows up, considering DBS is going to start airing right after Kai finishes it makes perfect sense that it would be after the end of Z since Kai is keeping it. I feel that if they were going to ignore the end of Z with DBS they would have cut it off of Kai.
It drives me crazy that we may have to wait till mid to late May to finally get solid details, hopefully they don't wait for V-Jump and throw us a bone.

Makes you wonder why didnt Kid Goku just use SSj2 alot of the times during the start of crappy DBGT. Seems like it would have made things easier like with Rildo.

I guess I always assumed he wanted to be more "sporting" since he enjoys fighting so much, but that explanation only goes so far.

Not as bad ass as the original

latest

To be honest I kind of hate Gotenks, though. Which is funny because I like both Goten and Trunks and think they function well as a duo.

Because Goku wasn't supposed to be able to use techniques he learned as an adult, like the failed instant transmission early on when their spaceship was being towed.

Everything lines up perfectly for DBS to be after the end of Z. Also the final ending for Kai is about Goku reminiscing about previous tournaments at the end of Z and then Uub shows up, considering DBS is going to start airing right after Kai finishes it makes perfect sense that it would be after the end of Z since Kai is keeping it. I feel that if they were going to ignore the end of Z with DBS they would have cut it off of Kai.
It drives me crazy that we may have to wait till mid to late May to finally get solid details, hopefully they don't wait for V-Jump and throw us a bone.

Man, the art for that ending is bad. I much prefer the original.

andymcc

Banned
sales per volume is true, but DB has the edge in the fact that it came out much earlier.
also One Piece keeps setting record first print runs, and record monthly sales. (but those weren't tracked when DB was coming out)

beyond that if we look at this data taken from here

we see db has 230 million sales over 42 volumes or 5.11 mil per volume (and is off the market for the most part, though I wouldn't be surprised if it came back this summer)
one piece has 270 over 68 or 3.97 which supports what you said. If we however look at the one piece numbers and look at the current numbers taken from here
we see one piece is at 345 mil at 77 volumes or 4.48 mil per volume which while overall is still lower than db, is still a massive gain, and if we subtract the number of volumes from sales we get that with the release of 9 new volumes one piece did 75 mil or 8.33 mil per volume since then (obviously some of those sales would be for older volumes but most would be for the newer volumes which wouldn't be surprising given they have had a number of times that the first print runs have been 3.5+miland have sold out right away) which is quite a bit higher than the db sales per volume.

the scary thing about one piece is despite how long it has been going on, it hasn't seemed to reach its peak yet.

I do wish I could find actual sales numbers of the more recent volumes of one piece and of db and what not but I can't seem to find any :/

though of course no matter how successful one piece is, it will never truly surpass DB because it wouldn't exist without DB :p

One Piece is hugely popular in Japan, you'd be stupid to debate that. The numbers prove this.

I guess it's a hard thing to measure due to the gap in release between both series. Dragon Ball has had a longer time to make itself a part of Japanese pop culture (I'd reckon it's easily more identifiable for all ages there). The anime of Dragon Ball and Z probably trended with much higher viewership (with some episodes getting close to 30%(!!!) rating shares) than One Piece. Worth noting though, Dragon Ball came out in a time where there were far less TV anime on average than during the time of One Piece so it's hard to determine if that's an accurate measure... I'd still say it means something.

As for merchandising, One Piece has had NEW episodes releasing for years so it's understandable that toys and the like would indeed sell more than struggling DB merch. I'm slightly curious to see how the release of these films and this series is going to impact international merchandising for the series. Given the popularity of Xenoverse, I'm expecting a close to near-peak revival for the series. I don't follow those sales, though I'm sure there are some here that do.

munchie64

It wouldn't work because you can only fuse with someone who has roughly the same power and the same build.
By end of Z they should be roughly the same height and the power difference shouldn't be too much that one can't just push theirs down.

Edit: In fact is there any reason to think one Trunks is that different from the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom