• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be nice if Tenshinhan could get some sort of powerup related to his third eye or something. I'm fine with Yamcha and Chaozu remaining as joke characters but the Z Fighters could stand to have more non-Saiyans among their ranks.

Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Krillin and Roshi participating in Resurrection F (even if they were just fighting mooks) is hopefully a good indication they'll take more of an active role in the new series.

Having more characters get involved in the fights is simply more interesting than just letting Goku and Vegeta dominate every time. Look at One Piece - the main fights usually come down to Luffy, Zoro and Sanji but throughout the arc everyone still has something to do, even the weak characters like Usopp and Nami and that's just way more engaging.

Winterfang said:
Is Uub even canon?
Yes he appears at the end of Z

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Buu is actually my favorite villain I think. No shitty monologues, just pure deranged evil. And a better design.

I wish Fat Buu would get in on the action these days, he's still about as strong as SSJ3 Goku.

He's not.

Fat Buu is not the Majin Buu that came out of the shell and completely wrecked Gohan, Dabura, Kaioshin, Vegeta, and went toe to toe with SSJ3 Goku.

Same appearance, but the evil within him, and the majority of his power, was expelled.

NeonZ

Guys just head up please don't post any Revival of F spoilers or at least mask them, thanks.

OT: I wonder how long this new series is going to be?
Now that Naruto ended and Bleach no longer on TV, One Piece is the last of the big 3 still running I think DBS had a chance to fill the gap and become the new long running series

The Naruto anime is still running actually, even though the manga ended. Of course, it likely will need to end soon, unless they basically create a Naruto GT, since I doubt the new manga side-story focused on Sasuke's daughter will be very long. Anyway, DBS is taking Kai/Toriko's timeslot, so I guess Toei does intend to make it a long running show.

He's not.

Fat Buu is not the Majin Buu that came out of the shell and completely wrecked Gohan, Dabura, Kaioshin, Vegeta, and went toe to toe with SSJ3 Goku.

Same appearance, but the evil within him, and the majority of his power, was expelled.

Is this true? He is stronger than Cell still right?

NeonZ

Is this true? He is stronger than Cell still right?

Yes, when that gray Buu was created it's said that it took most of Buu's power. He did better against Kid Buu than Vegeta SSJ2, so he's still relatively powerful compared to the others, but he isn't SSJ3 level anymore.

GaimeGuy

Krillin's power-up occurred on Namek. Tenshinhan despite hard training never managed to catch up with that.

Prove it.

Things Tien has going for him:

1. Training on Kaio's planet (more than anyone else actually)

2. History of being a naturally more gifted fighter technically, as well as a harder worker, and physically more capable than Krillin.

3. Holds back Semi-perfect cell, when holding back imperfect cell was an impossible feat for all characters except for Android 16, including Androids 17 and 18, the saiyans pre-RoSaT, and fused Piccolo. Yes, the Kikoho is OP, but not "makes you literally ten thousand times stronger than you usually are" OP. Otherwise other characters would use it.

4. Unlike Krillin, he spars with his Cell Jr (like the saiyans and Piccolo). Krillin and Yamcha can't put up any resistance to theirs.

I could provide other examples, but this is enough.

Things Krillin has going for him:

1. Yamcha told Marron he was the strongest human.

Frankly, even if Toriyama were to come out right now and say Krillin was stronger than Tien, it would fly in the face of his own material.

I-hate-u

I think it is safe to assume that Tien surpassed Krillin after the android saga, as he trains all the time. Before then, it was up for debate. Gohan flat out says that Krillin gave up martial arts after he got married.

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah, Krillin was probably ahead at some point, but currently Tien would be far ahead of Krillin.

Also if any human is going to get a magical out of nowhere power up that fans seem to want for some bizarre reason, it should be Roshi. :)

I-hate-u

Yeah, Krillin was probably ahead at some point, but currently Tien would be far ahead of Krillin.

Also if any human is going to get a magical out of nowhere power up that fans seem to want for some bizarre reason, it should be Roshi. :)

Humans
except for Yamucha
making a comeback that shuts up Vegeta's shit talking would be awesome.

Also Piccolo, arguably the greatest character in the DB universe, needs some power ups too. At least, make him rival Vegeta's strength.

I wouldn't say Tien is far ahead of Krillin. But he is stronger than krillin. Krillin must had trained a little between battle of the gods and this though. Since he had his gi and haircut back.

Piers

I dunno, I think God Goku's form is pretty good for what its intent was. He's not some super-angry, 'roided-out hulk. He's in his original shape, with transcendent powers on a different level.

I do agree. It just would of been much better if it wasn't red of all colours. :(
SSJ4 concept is clever, but it does look like some 70's glam rock. Especially Vegeta.

Blader

Humans
except for Yamucha
making a comeback that shuts up Vegeta's shit talking would be awesome.

Also Piccolo, arguably the greatest character in the DB universe, needs some power ups too. At least, make him rival Vegeta's strength.

Super Namek God incoming.

Although not cannon, there are Super Namekians out there like Slug. I am sure AT can power up Piccolo in a way that makes sense.

If Frieza can power up from getting defeated by a SSJ to fight against technically a SSJ5 on equal footing, by training for 4 months. Then everything is possible.

Prove it.

Things Tien has going for him:

1. Training on Kaio's planet (more than anyone else actually)

2. History of being a naturally more gifted fighter technically, as well as a harder worker, and physically more capable than Krillin.

3. Holds back Semi-perfect cell, when holding back imperfect cell was an impossible feat for all characters except for Android 16, including Androids 17 and 18, the saiyans pre-RoSaT, and fused Piccolo. Yes, the Kikoho is OP, but not "makes you literally ten thousand times stronger than you usually are" OP. Otherwise other characters would use it.

4. Unlike Krillin, he spars with his Cell Jr (like the saiyans and Piccolo). Krillin and Yamcha can't put up any resistance to theirs.

I could provide other examples, but this is enough.

Things Krillin has going for him:

1. Yamcha told Marron he was the strongest human.

Frankly, even if Toriyama were to come out right now and say Krillin was stronger than Tien, it would fly in the face of his own material.

1. Not canon.
2. Debatable. It also is a terrible determiner considering the series regularly could apply this to Vegeta, and look how that turned out.
3. Kikoho drains lifeforce. Other characters don't use it because it doesn't do much damage. By the same token, that would make Krillin the most powerful since his DD can cut through anything.
4. He didn't spar with them. In the manga, he's out for the count.

It's probably not a good idea to use the anime as a source of canon.

GaimeGuy

1. Not canon.
2. Debatable. It also is a terrible determiner considering the series regularly could apply this to Vegeta, and look how that turned out.
3. Kikoho drains lifeforce. Other characters don't use it because it's a last resort thing. By the same token, that would make Krillin the most powerful since his DD can cut through anything.
4. He didn't spar with them. In the manga, he's out for the count.

It's probably not a good idea to use the anime as a source of canon.
Nope, everyone traveled to kaio in the manga too. I wasn't referring to the fight with the Ginyu force. I know that's filler.

And the manga shows tien fighting his cell Jr in a few of the panels in the background

Nope, everyone traveled to kaio in the manga too. I wasn't referring to the fight with the Ginyu force. I know that's filler.

And the manga shows tien fighting his cell Jr in a few of the panels in the background

Oh yeah, he does.

As far as I know, it's just Cell Jr dodging an attack in the background (as shown in the last topic) and nothing more.

NeonZ

Oh yeah, he does.

As far as I know, it's just Cell Jr dodging an attack in the background (as shown in the last topic) and nothing more.

The point is that he stands and keeps fighting until he's thrown on the ground near the end of the chapter (even Goku is on the ground too by that point, although he's conscious), while Kuririn and Yamcha fall pretty much immediately.

Sandfox

So how many episodes will Kai end up running? Is less than half of the original series?

Oh he will, someone needs to job to show how powerful the next threat is. Though that may be Beerus, but Vegeta will definitely be in line.

159 vs 291.

Jaeger

The only levels that matter are where each place within the storyline. You have to have the jobbers which usually consist of humans. You have the semi problems. Who can put up a decent fight but ultimately can't finish like piccolo. And the finishes which are vegeta and goku.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This has every chance of being as bad as GT was, that also had "some" Toriyama involvement which isnt really a seal of quality.

Toriyama is a tremendous storyboarder. His panel choices in fights was what really made Dragon Ball such a tremendous success and when the show was basically going panel for panel we had some really nice episodes. However, hes one of those artists that no longer wants to do what he is best at, just what he finds amusing (this is apparent from the Buu saga onwards) He wants to focus on comedy and slapstick stuff.

I dont think theres many interesting stories left to tell in the Dragon Ball universe. The power levels they deal with now make any fighting technique useless, its all about raw power and not interesting tactics. The characters were never fleshed out enough to be all that interesting and never had interesting motivations other that "I'll be the strongest!", and they all give up on that over time, leaving them as empty character husks.

Shauni

The only levels that matter are where each place within the storyline. You have to have the jobbers which usually consist of humans. You have the semi problems. Who can put up a decent fight but ultimately can't finish like piccolo. And the finishes which are vegeta and goku.

Lol, Vegeta as a finish. Prince Scrub, royal prince of the jobbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom