• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauni

I just assumed the new movies are shit, like 90% of all DBZ movies. I didn't think of them as a measuring level of the new show, since the quality was always loop-sided between the show and movie in the past.

Jaeger

Lol, Vegeta as a finish. Prince Scrub, royal prince of the jobbers.

Vegeta has killed;

Zarbon
Cui
Dodoria
Most of the Ginyu Squad
Key in Buu's defeat
And is currently the second most powerful being in most of the known Galaxy (i know nothing of F) outside of God characters Beerus and Whis

This has every chance of being as bad as GT was, that also had "some" Toriyama involvement which isnt really a seal of quality.

Toriyama is a tremendous storyboarder. His panel choices in fights was what really made Dragon Ball such a tremendous success and when the show was basically going panel for panel we had some really nice episodes. However, hes one of those artists that no longer wants to do what he is best at, just what he finds amusing (this is apparent from the Buu saga onwards) He wants to focus on comedy and slapstick stuff.

I dont think theres many interesting stories left to tell in the Dragon Ball universe. The power levels they deal with now make any fighting technique useless, its all about raw power and not interesting tactics. The characters were never fleshed out enough to be all that interesting and never had interesting motivations other that "I'll be the strongest!", and they all give up on that over time, leaving them as empty character husks.

AT had very little to do with GT.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Toriyama designed the main cast in GT. So Goku, Trunks, Pan, Giru. I think he MIGHT have drawn them doing something, but maybe not. He didn't have anything to do with the story.

It also explains why Trunks has a cool outfit and Goten, Vegeta, and Gohan have like, t-shirts and suits.

I-hate-u

If Frieza can power up from getting defeated by a SSJ to fight against technically a SSJ5 on equal footing, by training for 4 months. Then everything is possible.

Can you imagine AT doing the same for Cell, who has Saiyan blood? If his base level is a little weaker than true SS2, his power level could multiple multiple folds with little training. He has far more potential from training than Freeza, who loses his stamina/damage himself by going 100%.\

Too bad he has no minions that would bring back to life with the dragon balls like Freeza. Unless, RR/Dr Gero's buddies?

Toriyama designed the main cast in GT. So Goku, Trunks, Pan, Giru. I think he MIGHT have drawn them doing something, but maybe not. He didn't have anything to do with the story.

It also explains why Trunks has a cool outfit and Goten, Vegeta, and Gohan have like, t-shirts and suits.

He did actually draw the initial outfits of the other characters -- yes, including short-haired mustached Vegeta.

tRJDptp.png

Had nothing to do with the story though.

Tien is definitely stronger than Krillin after the Cell Games. He's just like Vegeta in that he trains all day. Krillin doesn't have the same mentality when it comes to training. The dude is lazy, always has been.

I wish Gohan would call Piccolo Dad, in one scene. Like it slip through his tongue and stuff.

He's the same as Goku so it wouldn't hurt to say that.

Vice

Krillin's life had never being about training. Didn't he started it so he could pick up women or something? Lol

He wanted to get stronger and get women. I re-watched Dragon Ball recently and he wanted to surpass the assholes from his original temple.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Nope.

Nah, he had 0 involvement in the story, broad strokes or not.

Since you were zero help, I did some digging. Turns out youre half right

In GT, the only contributions that I made were the title, the initial main character designs, some of the mecha designs, and a number of image cuts. But thanks to the excellent staff that I was having keep continuing Dragon Ball, I was able to relax and leave it to them.

Regardless, my original point is that unless Toriyama is involved full time, this has a very small chance of being good.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As long as Dragon Ball exists, GT will continue to be talked about.
Until it's overridden by the new, canon series, and subsequently forgotten or lambasted by the majority of Dragon Ball fans forever.

Edit: I missed the fact that Toriyama drew the rest of the cast of GT. I wonder why Goku/Trunks/Pan look so much better than everyone else? The bland t-shirt/suit designs are extremely off-putting.

NeonZ

(Removed because the issue was already corrected above)

Edit: I missed the fact that Toriyama drew the rest of the cast of GT. I wonder why Goku/Trunks/Pan look so much better than everyone else? The bland t-shirt/suit designs are extremely off-putting.
Remember, GT was originally just supposed to be about Goku, Pan and Trunks traveling through space searching for the Black Star Dragonballs in episodic adventures. The sudden sideline of that plotline and change back to Z's running story and battle focus, at least the way it happened, wasn't part of the original intention of the series. They even end up kicking out the initial main writer during that transition. Toriyama likely drew the rest of the cast "cheaply" compared to those three because they weren't intended to appear much at all beyond the first two episodes. Goku, Trunks, Pan and Gill/Giru also are the only ones who got colored designs by Toriyama himself, while the other cast members only have those black and white drawings posted above.

Sandfox

Since you were zero help, I did some digging. Turns out youre half right

Regardless, my original point is that unless Toriyama is involved full time, this has a very small chance of being good.

I wouldn't go that far. Toriyama will more than likely have some involvement and the series will probably be in line with the new movies.

GT just had a lot of issues that Toei will try to avoid this time in fear of poor ratings.

Takao

Banned
Until it's overridden by the new, canon series, and subsequently forgotten or lambasted by the majority of Dragon Ball fans forever.

People still talk about the original movies, which are almost all garbage side stories that couldn't take place in the normal timeline. GT won't be forgotten.

Astral Dog

If the new series is bad there is going to be a lot of comprasions to GT, even if it isnt there is going to be discussion regardless.

Ishida

Banned

It's already overriden. That doesn't change what I said. GT will always be relevant. Canon or not. And you bet that Toei will keep using its caracters and plot in games, at least.

NeonZ

It's already overriden. That doesn't change what I said. GT will always be relevant. Canon or not. And you bet that Toei will keep using its caracters and plot in games, at least.

You mean Bandai Namco. Toei isn't the one making games.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
People still talk about the original movies, which are almost all garbage side stories that couldn't take place in the normal timeline. GT won't be forgotten.

The second Z movie was cool.

They made Roshi look better than Piccolo.

"We brought the greatest fighter ever Master Roshi to fight our things, oh and I guess we captured Piccolo too."

NeonZ

Nope, but they are licencing the GT series. In any case, GT won't go anywhere. It may be relegated to "alternate timeline", but it will still be there. :3

There's only so much space in games though, especially new series. Remember that before Xenoverse GT hadn't gotten anything big in a while. Ultimate Tenkaichi had Gogeta, one star and a non playable Baby. Battle of Z and Raging Blast had no GT.

GT's presence is guaranteed in the next few years though, since we should get Xenoverse sequels, and the GT cast likely will be there by default.

Arzehn

Just finished watching Dragon Ball. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should re-watch the original DBZ or the new Kai one... I suppose if I plan to watch GT (which I never watched) I should watch the original since it includes the later sagas which I don't think Kai has. I actually never finished the original series, missed the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas. Or I could not watch GT and just finish up with Kai till Super comes out...

What do you guys think? Watch original again or Kai?

Mikey Jr.

I kinda wish instead of a new series, they started DBZ over again.

Just everything new. A completely new series, but cut out just a metric fuckton of filler, more substantial fights that last longer, have Vegeta actually be, you know, good.

I mean, I like Vegeta, but unless he's fighting Goku, he's a useless sack of shit. He'll get one good punch, then get bitch slapped for the rest of the arc. It's pathetic.

Also, I think one of the absolute worst things that Toriyama did in this series was have the ability to be resurrected. Death never feels substantial.

But yeah, would love to see the whole series drawn like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNEcQ86Ekw

Just finished watching Dragon Ball. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should re-watch the original DBZ or the new Kai one... I suppose if I plan to watch GT (which I never watched) I should watch the original since it includes the later sagas which I don't think Kai has. I actually never finished the original series, missed the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas. Or I could not watch GT and just finish up with Kai till Super comes out...

Watch Kai. It is substantially better. It just cuts out so much bullshit that its unbelievable. Remember when Goku died after Raditz, and Goku was traveling down Snake Way for like a million episodes? In Kai, he gets there in like 1, and you lose nothing in the process.

Takao

Banned

Come July, Kai will have adapted everything that you'd see in Z.

If you're watching it with English audio, it's automatically Kai. Though the dub for the Buu stuff hasn't come out yet.

Arzehn

Come July, Kai will have adapted everything that you'd see in Z.

If you're watching it with English audio, it's automatically Kai. Though the dub for the Buu stuff hasn't come out yet.

Not sure which I would watch. I watched DB in English and the original DBZ in Oceanic (I think) english, but I would be open to watching Kai in either. I'm guessing the dub is behind the sub though, and Super will be out in Japanese first, so maybe it would be best to get accustomed to the Japanese voices.

Edit: Nevermind, I just watched a bit of the dub and sub, I don't think I can handle the JP VA for Gohan.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
There's only so much space in games though, especially new series. Remember that before Xenoverse GT hadn't gotten anything big in a while. Ultimate Tenkaichi had Gogeta, one star and a non playable Baby. Battle of Z and Raging Blast had no GT.

GT's presence is guaranteed in the next few years though, since we should get Xenoverse sequels, and the GT cast likely will be there by default.
Was the Dragonball heroes gt manga before or after xenoverse?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Dragon Ball had some of the most badass intros in anime. I can't wait to see what they do for this one.

hope they go the naruto route and have more original songs and intro and outros through various arcs.

is that common with long running shows these days? tbh haven't watched much besides the occasional movie.

Apath

hope they go the naruto route and have more original songs and intro and outros through various arcs.

is that common with long running shows these days? tbh haven't watched much besides the occasional movie.
Dragon Ball's two minute intro wears very thin after a dozen episodes, let alone over one hundred and fifty of them.

Sandfox

They're probably going to handle it like Kai where the endings switch up a bit, but the openings will stick around for the entire arc at least.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Cant believe people defend Dragon Ball GT, it reminds me of the SW prequels.

people that defend GT don't actually remenber how GT went, they just remenber that they liked it when they were kids.

All I want from this series is more of a focus on the martial arts aspect of the combat. Less about transformations and huge energy attacks. Push more towards the martial arts and create a balance.

The other thing I want is to pull back from the ultra-reliance on Goku. Don't let the other characters become just batteries for Goku. Make them useful on their own. Set them apart. Flesh them out.

For god's sake, all I want is a useful Tien and a Piccolo that wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom