• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylver

Banned
AT LEAST 100? Fuuuuuuck this is gonna be shit isn't it

why couldn't we just cap out at 40-60 like FMA and actually put time and money into it

gdi

Yep that's the keynote for spanish media:
Según ha podido descubrir Mision Tokyo, Toei Animation tiene planeados un mínimo de 100 capítulos para Dragon Ball Super. Cifra que, evidentemente, puede aumentar si la serie tiene suficiente aceptación y éxito.

Fuji TV ha programado Dragon Ball Super los domingos a las 9 de la mañana, por lo que el target de la serie será infantil. La serie se situará inmediatamente después de la saga de Buu por lo que probablemente seguirá el tono humorístico y desenfadado de esa saga. Toei Animation tiene en mente a los niños que se han aficionado con Dragon Ball Kai más que a los aficionados de los 90.

Por último, Toei pretende comercializar Dragon Ball Super de manera clásica. Es decir, sin simulcast en Daisuki y con el público japonés en mente, algo que no sucedió con las últimas producciones de Sailor Moon y Saint Seiya. La estrategia pasa por venderla a las televisiones españolas y cuando se editen los DVD en Japón vender los derechos al resto del mundo para home video. Estas decisiones pueden hacer que Dragon Ball Super tarde más de lo deseable en llegar a España, pues actualmente las televisiones no están muy por la labor de emitir anime.

Así pues, todo parece indicar que:

Dragon Ball Super tendrá un mínimo de 100 episodios.
Su público objetivo serán los niños que se han aficionado con Dragon Ball Kai.
No tiene previsto realizar simulcast en Daisuki.

El estreno de Dragon Ball Super está previsto para el 5 de julio y hasta entonces la información se irá filtrando en cuentagotas. Para estar a la última no te olvides de visitar Mision Tokyo cada día.

Could be more episodes depends on success.

Sheroking

Dragon Ball Z is never going to be "good".

I'd rather it be 100 fun episodes than 40-60 "good" ones. It actually makes me kinda hyped that we're getting a big batch.

Multiple sagas please!

yeah I bet a 60-something episode dragon ball anime would turn out great

aZwEnNr.png

Cwarrior

This new dragon ball super is going to suck so is the new digimon, do know why it's going to suck, cause toei are putting out too many animes at once spreading there talent way too thin.

One piece
World trigger
Sait seiya soul of gold
sailor moon 2
precure
New digimon(should be running by july)
dragon ball super
*yearly precure movie*
*there deceber movie which might be one piece*

At least 2 golden goose(tv serise) have to die for us, for the other to fully mature into healthy strong birds.

The staff from dragon ball super is mostly going to be guys from Marvel disk wars Avengers by the looks at who the serise director is plus a few of those guys worked on the original dragon ball & z.

I never knew that there were fans of the American dub till a few years ago. When I was growing up and going on message boards, every topic was pretty much on how terrible the American dub and score are.
Seriously? You think DBZ accumulated a gigantic western audience by watching the Japanese dub?

Of course people like the American dub. If it was actually awful, DBZ wouldn't be big in the USA.

I've read the last 4 pages but nobody has brought up the fact of why a Falcouner soundtrack cannot happen anymore even if FUNi wanted to do such a thing.

Scott Morgan is the true composer of the US soundtrack, not Bruce Falcouner. he even takes requests and commissions for new DBZ-soundtracks. In fact, he just posted the other day complimenting Saiyan Enigma on his works at Kanzenshuu. appearently there was some kind of falling out with him and faulconer and faulconer refused to put his name on the CDs save for the first one. I'll find the interview in a bit.

But not just that, remember there was a whole lawsuit that made bad blood between FUNi and Faulconer.

So like it or not were stuck with whatever JP soundtrack we get for the dub, though it would have been cool to have a faulconer-sounding score on the dvd sets as a setting.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Such a pessimistic bunch we have here. So just because it's gonna be at least 100 episodes it's gonna suck? C'mon guys.

Have some faith. I'm predicting a great show. Have some trust in Toriyama/Toei. They've done this before and they know what they're doing.

Takao

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/aZwEnNr.png?1[img][/QUOTE]

thatsthejoke.jpg

[quote="HammerOfThor, post: 162792025"]US hasn't gotten it yet? Isn't the only reason it exists is because of its popularity in the West?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote="StaticJam, post: 162796288"]My best bet is funimation would rather take the time to dub the new movie and DBS instead, and not fall behind like they have with One Piece[/QUOTE]

Well, we have reason to believe that Funimation has already dubbed the Buu part of Kai. We got voice actor confirmations before the thing even surfaced in Japan.

[quote="Pop-O-Matic, post: 162784846"]Moving away from those "shitty 90s tactics" is why anime is dead in the west.[/QUOTE]

Worked well for One Piece.

-MD-

100 episodes? Sweet.

I never knew that there were fans of the American dub till a few years ago. When I was growing up and going on message boards, every topic was pretty much on how terrible the American dub and score are.

Also I wonder why you can't watch DBZ with the American score on the Funimation app. It's got the American dubbing but Japanese score. It's crazy how the score makes it seem like you're watching 2 different shows. Watching it with the American score gives DBZ a high extreme action cartoon vibe, but watching the Japanese version gives it more of a martial arts feel.

I can't even imagine watching DBZ subbed, anytime I hear someone talk in Japanese promos for the show I wince, the voices are incredibly annoying.

Dub or bust.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, so we know there're gonna be 100 episodes before we have anything more than a name and a place in the timeline? They're really banking a lot on this, aren't they?

NeonZ

Wait, so we know there're gonna be 100 episodes before we have anything more than a name and a place in the timeline? They're really banking a lot on this, aren't they?

It's not that odd for daytime anime. Anime for franchises that bombed and disappeared almost immediately were greenlighted with 50 episodes (Gyrozetter, Gaist Crusher) just on the hopes that the tie in would work out and the multimedia franchise become a success. DB already has many products going on and a new anime is both marketing them and giving them new material.

Why is it only being reported by Spanish sites though? Did they break a NDA?

Astral Dog

I..i don`t understand, whats wrong with 100 episodes? wasn`t Dragon Ball Z something like 260? its big but not that much compared to Z. thats considering its likely going to have more than one story arc. seems fair, Dragon Ball is returning and may as well go all out.

It does say the new show is going to focus on attracting kids that watched Kai. thats a bit more concerning because its not going to have the level of violence that was on Z.

Servbot24

Banned
I can't wait to see how strong Goku is in 100+ episodes. Entire point of the series imo. :)

Maybe he'll be able to beat Superman by then. :p

thatsthejoke.jpg

Yes.

Well, we have reason to believe that Funimation has already dubbed the Buu part of Kai. We got voice actor confirmations before the thing even surfaced in Japan.

Worked well for One Piece.

Isn't One Piece completely dead in the west?

Linkark07

Banned
Por último, Toei pretende comercializar Dragon Ball Super de manera clásica. Es decir, sin simulcast en Daisuki y con el público japonés en mente, algo que no sucedió con las últimas producciones de Sailor Moon y Saint Seiya

No simulcast? So no Dragon Ball Super on Crunchyroll?

Hope Toei reconsider. Dunno how long it would take to have a Latin American dub.

And there is also the question if they will hire the original voice actors for Super dub (Mario Castañeda, René García) or will use the same cast of Kai.

Malajax

Seriously? You think DBZ accumulated a gigantic western audience by watching the Japanese dub?

Of course people like the American dub. If it was actually awful, DBZ wouldn't be big in the USA.

DBZ succeeded in spite of how awful the dub was. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Afternoon cartoon blocks were hot and the type of action it provided hardly existed at the time in the west. Also, it's a kids show and kids will watch anything.

Really, take off the nostalgia googles and really try to watch that dub. Let's ignore the music issue and listen at the actual voice acting and script. It's terrible. Stilted, awkward delivery with some of the most 90s cheeseball humor that was added in for no reason. The voice actors have admitted that they couldn't act! Worse, they were forced to imitate a completely different cast to avoid making things completely jarring (they failed IMO). By the time they actually got comfortable with their characters, we were well into the Majin Buu arc, and even then there's still the music that never shuts up (oops), and silly dialogue that didn't exist in the original version.

Today, Dragon Ball Kai and Battle of Gods are the best examples of a good dub where DB is concerned (DB and GT were only inoffensive). The old Z dub is trash. The best thing I can say that the changes Funimation made may have exposed it to a larger audience than it would have been exposed to otherwise. DB is beyond anime in America. It's simply a cartoon in the west that a lot of children grew up with like Batman. However, its popularity in the rest of the world indicate that it's the content that people love about DB/Z and doesn't have much to do with whatever voice cast they grew up with.

Sheroking

There are plenty of people who listen back and still prefer the dub. For me, it's Goku. Can't fucking stand the Japanese voice actor for Goku. Nails on chalkboard bad. That, and Chris Sabat's voice will always be what I associate with Vegeta.

Dragon Ball Z is maybe the most divisive anime in terms of dub versus sub. It's the only anime series I will ever prefer to watch in English.

Crocodile

I'm fine with 100 episodes. Since they don't have to adhere to any manga schedule, I'd hope the pacing and writing are on point. I'm also hoping we get some sweet "sakuga" more than once every thirty episodes or some nonsense. I want to see some actually good fight choreography!

Toei are MORONS if there is no simul-sub or dub for this. Fansubbers will come out of the woodwork if they aren't. Do they want that?

Haven't seen the new movie yet. But man, rewatching some DBZ moments with him in it made me remember how fucking awesome he was as a villain.

This is the most vile, demoralizing ass whooping in all of DBZ

As for the show, I'm just glad there's gonna be more DragonBall.

I've been rewatching the Namek arc on Toonami and shit was a lot more brutal that I remembered. Necks get snapped, children getting incinerated, etc. I'd be surprised if the new series is anywhere near as "raw"

I don't understand why Toei is bad news for this? Didn't they do the original anime too?

Most of us in here saying "ugh Toei" are familiar with their recent output which for the most part has been mediocre to bad. In an ideal world, Toei would recognize that as the international superstar the DB IP is, the show deserves all their best talent and they should give them the time to animate the episodes well. However, since they know DBZ will do well regardless of how much effort into it, I'm going into this expecting most episodes to be slideshows and will be pleasantly surprised if things turn out well :)

There are plenty of people who listen back and still prefer the dub. For me, it's Goku. Can't fucking stand the Japanese voice actor for Goku. Nails on chalkboard bad. That, and Chris Sabat's voice will always be what I associate with Vegeta.

Dragon Ball Z is maybe the most divisive anime in terms of dub versus sub. It's the only anime series I will ever prefer to watch in English.

The DBZ Kai dub is good (and by extension so will the DB Super dub). It's the original Funimation DBZ dub that he's talking shit about. This isn't a dub vs. sub issue, if you were to listen to that old dub now without the nostalgia goggles you'd have issues with it. Again though, any new dubs should be fine so its a non-issue for Dragon Ball Super.

Branson

Yeah the original Funi Dub of DBZ was terrible. They finally got it right with Kai and looks like they carried on right with BoG. Hopefully that carries over with F and DBS. Keep whatever Japanese score is there intact please. I just really want that Buu Kai in English.

Malajax

The DBZ Kai dub is good (and by extension so will the DB Super dub). It's the original Funimation DBZ dub that he's talking shit about. This isn't a dub vs. sub issue, if you were to listen to that old dub now without the nostalgia goggles you'd have issues with it. Again though, any new dubs should be fine so its a non-issue for Dragon Ball Super.

Basically. At this point, I can watch either English or Japanese with no issue. It's a preference thing and it's cool to like whatever. That old dub though... Has a lot of issues that people continue to ignore.

The 100 episode thing was originally posted by one website who claimed to talk to Toei, I wouldn't put to much stock in it. I highly doubt they have planned to go that far, they will just take it as far as it goes until ratings and merch sales drop.

munchie64

Yeah, I wouldn't take the 100 episode thing too seriously yet.
Moving away from those "shitty 90s tactics" is why anime is dead in the west.
I don't really care about that at this point. In fact I'd rather the fanbase be smaller than split in half like it currently is. Dragon Ball isn't what Funimation and Ocean started in the 90s, that's why I don't like it as a whole, even though it introduced me to the franchise, and I'm happy for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom