• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

I don't really care about that at this point. In fact I'd rather the fanbase be smaller than split in half like it currently is. Dragon Ball isn't what Funimation and Ocean started in the 90s, that's why I don't like it as a whole, even though it introduced me to the franchise, and I'm happy for it.

Yet it is what a good deal of us love and basically the reason anime is a thing here.

No guys the original DBZ dub was so good just listen to this hip slang

tumblr_nncexcuU9Y1terwlso1_500.gif

Kai was the first DB dub to get everything completely right
That's right and Vegeta was a freaking genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVrRR4UkZs

Yet it is what a good deal of us love and basically the reason anime is a thing here.
That doesn't make it immune from criticism however. I don't see why a Kai-level dub of DBZ back in the 90s wouldn't have done just as well with the heavy promotion and good time slots it was getting on Toonami

I mean it's water under the bridge at this point, but I think dubbing companies realized correctly during the early 2000s that anime didn't succeed in the U.S. because of stupid jokes and layering the soundtrack with buttrock, but because the action and story were generally more engaging than American cartoons. That's why One Piece failed miserably when it was given the hackjob treatment by 4Kids, because who cares about the plot when we've got the dope-ass rap music where are my homeboys at (now imagine a 45 year old businessman saying this)

Funimation's creative liberties didn't make DBZ succeed, DBZ made DBZ succeed

zulux21

Funimation's creative liberties didn't make DBZ succeed, DBZ made DBZ succeed

I would argue a lot of their liberties helped it succeed.
this song does nothing for me
this song is awesome and gets me pumped up to watch an awesome show.

beyond that a lot of the name changes helped.

I yelled out stuff like SPECIAL BEAM CANNON as a kid I would have never been able to yell out the Makankōsappō that is used in the kai version.

I mean don't get me wrong, not all of the changes helped, but a lot of them made a young me far more excited about a show than I would have been if it was more like kai. And of course I want super done like kai. But back when I was just getting into anime I don't know how well I would have responded to tons of japanese terms... I mean heck I had issues telling sailor mars and kagome from inuyasha apart for a long time lol.

I yelled out stuff like SPECIAL BEAM CANNON as a kid I would have never been able to yell out the Makankōsappō that is used in the kai version.

I mean don't get me wrong, not all of the changes helped, but a lot of them made a young me far more excited about a show than I would have been if it was more like kai. And of course I want super done like kai. But back when I was just getting into anime I don't know how well I would have responded to tons of japanese terms... I mean heck I had issues telling sailor mars and kagome from inuyasha apart for a long time lol.
I guess it depends on what you look for in DBZ. Cha-La Head Cha-La is more relevant to the series' tone (especially following Dragon Ball) than Rock the Dragon is. Then again I'm not in that kid mentality anymore - then again Toonami never played the theme song anyway.

And yeah translating attack names is something I don't have much of a problem with really.

zulux21

I guess it depends on what you look for in DBZ. Cha-La Head Cha-La is more relevant to the series' tone (especially following Dragon Ball) than Rock the Dragon is. Then again I'm not in that kid mentality anymore - then again Toonami never played the theme song anyway.

And yeah translating attack names is something I don't have much of a problem with really.

Toonami eventually stopped playing the rock the dragon theme, but at least until the freeza arc fully aired they played rock the dragon fully when ever dbz came on. As I remember getting home from school, turning on the TV and getting settled in and running into the living room as rock the dragon came on.

I'm pretty sure they played it with new episodes after the freeza arc as well as I remember being super excited when trunks showed up in the opening.

munchie64

That's (mondo) cool and all, and I have no problem with fans of the dub, but the reason I started arguing in the first place is because people want that stuff back, when that isn't even what the franchise is.

A dub version of Cha-La Head Cha-La probably wouldn't be too different than most children's cartoon intros. I don't see any a kid would prefer one or the other.
The name thing I kinda agree with though. Usually changing a proper noun doesn't sit right with me but crazy stuff like attack names are much more marketable.

Toonami eventually stopped playing the rock the dragon theme, but at least until the freeza arc fully aired they played rock the dragon fully when ever dbz came on. As I remember getting home from school, turning on the TV and getting settled in and running into the living room as rock the dragon came on.

I'm pretty sure they played it with new episodes after the freeza arc as well as I remember being super excited when trunks showed up in the opening.

Rock the Dragon was only the intro for the Saban/Ocean Group portion of the dub (which goes up until the fight with Ginyu IIRC). Once Funimation took over all aspects of the dub, this became the opening they used on the home video releases, while Toonami began cutting the intro entirely.

zulux21

That's (mondo) cool and all, and I have no problem with fans of the dub, but the reason I started arguing in the first place is because people want that stuff back, when that isn't even what the franchise is.

A dub version of Cha-La Head Cha-La probably wouldn't be too different than most children's cartoon intros. I don't see any a kid would prefer one or the other.
The name thing I kinda agree with though. Usually changing a proper noun doesn't sit right with me but crazy stuff like attack names are much more marketable.

I would have. There were only a few cartoon themes I really liked as a kid
pokemon
yugioh
darkwing duck
and there might be one or two others but nothing I can recall right now (heck I wasn't a fan of the ducktales theme)
I preferred the more rocky openings. In general I don't like Cha-la at all, I find it to be a rather boring song even today. Rock the dragon was hands down the reason I originally started watching DBZ before football practice as it pumped me up.

Rock the Dragon was only the intro for the Saban/Ocean Group portion of the dub (which goes up until the fight with Ginyu IIRC). Once Funimation took over all aspects of the dub, this became the opening they used on the home video releases, while Toonami began cutting the intro entirely.

ah yes, you are correct. I remember that one as well though rock the dragon left the bigger impact.

The difference between the sub Goku and dub Goku is more than just the voice. Goku has these little quirks he has when he talks that is entirely absent in the english dub. He also sounds more "country" compared to a lot of the characters where as in the dub he just sounds like everyone else.

I think once you watch the original series in japanese you would open up to the Z sub.

munchie64

I would have. There were only a few cartoon themes I really liked as a kid
pokemon
yugioh
darkwing duck
and there might be one or two others but nothing I can recall right now (heck I wasn't a fan of the ducktales theme)
I preferred the more rocky openings. In general I don't like Cha-la at all, I find it to be a rather boring song even today. Rock the dragon was hands down the reason I originally started watching DBZ before football practice as it pumped me up.
That's fair enough, Rock the Dragon is a hell of a lot more interesting than any other English dub exclusive intro the show (or hell the franchise) had. But with how good the English dub for Mystical Adventure and Dan Dan are, I can't help but wonder.

Nightbird

There's no manga for them to be adapting from and trying to not get ahead of, so the powerup while yelling scenes will probably be brief.

With more than 100 Episodes? I think yelling is back.

Also; with Toeis recent output qualitywise, and this length, i think DBS could kill the Franchise's reawoken Popularity.

zulux21

Also; with Toeis recent output qualitywise, and this length, i think DBS could kill the Franchise's reawoken Popularity.

I'm personally not to worried about it. I imagine it will be animated about on par with one piece, which I still find to be fine animation quality. (though ideally it has much better pacing as the current one piece anime has horrible pacing :/)

The 100 episodes thing is a rumor with no official source. DBS's pacing will likely be fine since they don't have a manga to worry about passing.

I've just learned about the existence of "Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold". Never thought I'd see Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya both get new anime series at the same time.

NeonZ

I've just learned about the existence of "Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold". Never thought I'd see Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya both get new anime series at the same time.

Hopefully Dragonball Super won't be a glorified motion comic like Soul of Gold.

Although Saint Seiya has always been pretty static. I rewatched a few episodes recently and was surprised to see a few moments in the original tv show where they actually just slid characters across the screen - years before the digital age!

The plus side is that writers probably have an ending in mind, might be more consistent. Apparently Toriyama didn't know where he was doing half way through the Cell Saga.

On the negative side... 100 episodes, the Animation is probably going to be sub-par.

Kinda wished Madhouse had the rights to the series!

Servbot24

Banned
Having an end game is always good, but DB is one series where honestly it's not essential. We're so used to the series just being bad guy appears, Goku gets stronger and beats it, repeat. Bullshitting through the story is fairly easy.

Mabufu

Banned

I find Cha-la Head Cha-la 100x more epic and fitting for the show : /

The plus side is that writers probably have an ending in mind, might be more consistent. Apparently Toriyama didn't know where he was doing half way through the Cell Saga.

On the negative side... 100 episodes, the Animation is probably going to be sub-par.

Kinda wished Madhouse had the rights to the series!

That's just because Toei.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That wouldn't really fit though. By that point Goku and Vegeta already have the
blue SSJ form, which obviously doesn't exist in GT since they still have yellow hair while going SSJ.

Toriyama basically retconned SSJ2 and SSJ3 into being false steps in the evolution of SSJ, like the two bulked up SSJ forms from the Cell Saga.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/saikyo-jump-june-2014-issue-twel-buu-mysteries/

It might sound odd, but if you think about it, the only time SSJ2 really stands out is Gohan vs Cell, and there it also involved awakening Gohan's hidden power. Meanwhile, although SSJ3 was clearly a power boost, it doesn't really accomplish anything, so one wonders how big the boost was in the first place.

So, If Goku gets a new transformation, it probably won't be a "SSJ#" at all, but a new transformation altogether.

SSJ2 and 3 were always marginal power ups over SSJ compared to SSJ as a power up over base form.

Unless you believe that Perfect Cell was anywhere close to 50 times as strong as Goku/Vegeta/Trunks (likewise for Buu and SSJ2 Vegeta and Gohan)

The gaps in power between characters never approach those seen in the Saiyan and Frieza sagas.

Takao

Banned
Having an end game is always good, but DB is one series where honestly it's not essential. We're so used to the series just being bad guy appears, Goku gets stronger and beats it, repeat. Bullshitting through the story is fairly easy.

Yeah, but I can see a lot of Dragon Ball fans preferring Jaco's style of writing. That was meticulously planned out and well paced as a result.

Isn't One Piece completely dead in the west?

It has been on the edge in English markets and even now it's still just an okay performer than a true standout on the international stage.

Modern heavily localized anime like Digimon Fusion and LBX have struggled to find an audience. That stuff doesn't guarantee success. I don't think it even helps that much. For Dragon Ball, a more straightforward adaptation likely wouldn't have changed anything. The show was already hugely successful across a variety of countries and cultures. While Kai's popularity pales in comparison (largely due to it being a re-edit shown in obscured venues), it has shown that the US is entirely open to Dragon Ball in its real form.

Alex

I could go with either voice over cast. Japanese and English are both good efforts. Prior to Kai I'd probably have wanted it in Japanese as I felt the original Funimation dub was a really half-assed job but the re-do in Kai is a lot better.

Those first few episodes jumping from Ocean to Funimation way back in the day were really painful, everyone was making fun of the forced, super gravely voices and it sounded so amatuerish. Not to mention that old script was pretty awkward, some really weird dialogue in that thing.

As long as we're on the original music from here on out, I am fine, i really did not care for the US DBZ soundtrack, personally. You know it's a shame what went down with the original Kai composer, I really felt that was a solid score for a modern Dragon Ball.

Sami+

TFS Krillin, Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, and Tien. Funi everyone else, BoG/recent DBZA quality acting.

My dream dub that will never happen.

Baki

DBZ succeeded in spite of how awful the dub was. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Afternoon cartoon blocks were hot and the type of action it provided hardly existed at the time in the west. Also, it's a kids show and kids will watch anything.

Really, take off the nostalgia googles and really try to watch that dub. Let's ignore the music issue and listen at the actual voice acting and script. It's terrible. Stilted, awkward delivery with some of the most 90s cheeseball humor that was added in for no reason. The voice actors have admitted that they couldn't act! Worse, they were forced to imitate a completely different cast to avoid making things completely jarring (they failed IMO). By the time they actually got comfortable with their characters, we were well into the Majin Buu arc, and even then there's still the music that never shuts up (oops), and silly dialogue that didn't exist in the original version.

Today, Dragon Ball Kai and Battle of Gods are the best examples of a good dub where DB is concerned (DB and GT were only inoffensive). The old Z dub is trash. The best thing I can say that the changes Funimation made may have exposed it to a larger audience than it would have been exposed to otherwise. DB is beyond anime in America. It's simply a cartoon in the west that a lot of children grew up with like Batman. However, its popularity in the rest of the world indicate that it's the content that people love about DB/Z and doesn't have much to do with whatever voice cast they grew up with.

The sub is terrible. Goku sounds like a woman.

tariniel

Do you guys think it's worth buying the blu-rays of Kai? For a long time I've wanted to download/torrent high quality rips of it but I'm too lazy and too afraid of torrents to actually do it.

I also have never purchased anything DB related and it might be a nice way of showing support for something I love.

The only problem is they're like $30~ each on Amazon and I don't think Buu is out yet.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm continuing my watch through DB and I really hope Akira makes up for forgetting Launch by putting her in Super. She was almost like a mom to Krillin and Goku when they were kids.

Also, I hope we get to see the fighters travel through the Earth more, I love the adventurous nature of the original manga/anime.

I really only care about one thing - whether the humans will be back to being useful. I want to see Roshi, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, all of the Z Fighters back in action!

I don't know, DBZ isn't like Naruto. While in Naruto they are certain power level gap, in the end a good moveset/techniques can give some lesser character a good chance of victory against the strongest.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really only care about one thing - whether the humans will be back to being useful. I want to see Roshi, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, all of the Z Fighters back in action!

IIRC I believe the backstory for Dragonball Online had all the humans getting a "power-boost" thanks to Gohan's research, including how to fly becoming common knowledge and such. Would like to see that become a plot point here too.

zulux21

I don't know, DBZ isn't like Naruto. While in Naruto they are certain power level gap, in the end a good moveset/techniques can give some lesser character a good chance of victory against the strongest.

There is a huge power gap in one piece between someone like luffy and someone like usopp and even so usopp usually has a moment or two to shine in any given arc. it doesn't have to be about the weaker characters defeating the strong, but rather dealing with others leaving the big bad to people like goku.

as long as you come up with legitimate reasons for the others to be doing stuff they can still shine.

I mean the android saga in dbz even has a decent example of this where krillian gets a chance to shine and warn others where the androids are (though of course a more meaningful moment not ruined by vegeta would be good)

Maybe they are waiting for the Revival of F hype to die a bit before starting to market this series?

a number of series don't get much until about a month before release. I mean we already know how the characters will look given the movies so an image of that won't do much good for promotion until they are ready to show off the new big bad.

IIRC I believe the backstory for Dragonball Online had all the humans getting a "power-boost" thanks to Gohan's research, including how to fly becoming common knowledge and such. Would like to see that become a plot point here too.

That sounds like a great primer for a "tech gone wild" storyline, with a kind of a gang of humans using the tech to try and conquer Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom