• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

This is fan fiction, but I think it would be cool if some how Goku travels back in time to when planet Vegeta was not destroyed. Just to see all those saiyans lose their shit when they see how powerful he is

this could happen. We just need some Time-Travelling Villian and then we can see Planet Vegta before Freeza

Astral Dog

This is fan fiction, but I think it would be cool if some how Goku travels back in time to when planet Vegeta was not destroyed. Just to see all those saiyans lose their shit when they see how powerful he is

Vegeta may be the prince of all Saiyans, but Goku is the God of the Saiyan race.

Until Revival of F, for some reason

NeoXChaos

When the original score sucks no... It's not even close to being as bad.

But his music blasted all the time and then you had moments where the tone of the music changed completely for no reason like in the Mystic Gohan theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq8XVqvu4SA&t=1m47s

The only music remotely decent was Vegeta Theme, Vegeta Super Sayain Theme, SS3 Goku Theme and that death song for Freeza and Cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXKJco85Pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2JjjSKh6jM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_CcJ-uBWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9Ps5mo_Mo

Blader

The annoying thing about Faulconer's music is that he labels the tracks based on the first time they're ever used. Sometimes the connection is obvious, other times you have to wonder how you'd ever find it at all.

For example:

that death song for Freeza and Cell.

Pretty self-explanatory, you think of that scene and you can hear the music. But the song is titled Ginyu Transformation! How the hell would I ever know how to find that track under that title when it was always linked with far more memorable moments?

Anyway. I get people being annoyed with how the music is non-stop -- it hadn't even occurred to me until someone pointed out much later on that's not a single second of silence in the original dub :lol -- but is that even Faulconer's fault? He's just making the music, I don't know that he's actually cuing them into the show.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I honestly don't know what to expect from this series. Anime has evolved a lot since the 90's and I wonder if they'll go for ye olde DBZ formula of bad guy comes -> train -> side characters fight and lose -> Goku wins or try to follow the more dynamic characterization and intricate world building newer series like One Piece and Toriko are famous for. I hope it's the latter.

We need a Namek like saga in this where the side characters are relied on a lot to get stuff done.
Yeah, I'm hoping for this too. Goku was still the hero of the day, and Freeza was the big bad in that arc, but it was still written so that the underlings on both sides got to do cool (and important) stuff in the meantime.

Goku's heart problems during the Android arc were also cool, because Vegeta and Piccolo stepped up and owned that part of the series.

I just hope it amounts to more than "Goku isn't here because reasons", but I'll take what we can get.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Heres what Im hoping for:

-For this to not be all about Goku. The show is called Dragon Ball, so make them worthwile again!

-For the show to have some sense of consequence again. In the last half of the show, getting the dragon balls was so easy and there was always some easy loophole to revive everyone and make everything good again. It makes the audience not give a shit anymore because theres no risk, at all.

-Make fighting styles worth a shit again. This goes back all the way to the original Dragon Ball, in DBZ everyone fights the same and does the same shit, its boring, theres no fighting strategy at all anymore. Remember when Piccolo having disposable limbs actually mattered? Or that Goku having his bow staff was an actual advantage? Characters do the wrong things all the time eventhough they should know better. The new movies give me no hope that this will improve, but its definitely a bummer

-Gohan should be an important character, Trunks and Goten should as well. Theyre the next generation and theyre older now. Take those characters to new places

-Have a story that its more than just train/fight/train/fight forever. Have interesting situations where multiple characters need to be doing something, bring back the teamwork that made the Saiyan and Namek saga so special

Its a lot to ask for, but if they could address some of these, that would be a big improvement.

TreIII

I honestly don't know what to expect from this series. Anime has evolved a lot since the 90's and I wonder if they'll go for ye olde DBZ formula of bad guy comes -> train -> side characters fight and lose -> Goku wins or try to follow the more dynamic characterization and intricate world building newer series like One Piece and Toriko are famous for. I hope it's the latter.

Same here, honestly. Trying to actually tell a fun "adventure" again would be something that could be interesting to see, and maybe even dredge up those classic Dragonball vibes. It's the main reason I hope that all that "alternate dimension" stuff that's been hinted could be utilized for things of that sort. And could even be a chance to give the other characters a fair shake.

The main thing I'd be worried about is if a) they tried to do like GT did and go back to the DBZ formula again when the "adventure" segment didn't capture interest or b) not even bother trying such because "fans are expecting to see a certain type of show and we're gonna give it to them!"

Einhander

I can hardly wait for something to be shown. Even if it's a single teaser image of a character, as minor of a character as it is. It's still surprising to me that this is even happening. People have long asked for a new Dragon Ball series after DBZ. At some point, you accept that it'll never happen, and that Toriyama has lost total interest in the universe. I'll take a continuation after the Buu saga, but ideally, I would've liked an absolute reset in the character cast, story, and universe. It could've either taken hundreds of years after DBZ, or in a new universe altogether.

jstripes

Banned
But his music blasted all the time and then you had moments where the tone of the music changed completely for no reason like in the Mystic Gohan theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq8XVqvu4SA&t=1m47s

The only music remotely decent was Vegeta Theme, Vegeta Super Sayain Theme, SS3 Goku Theme and that death song for Freeza and Cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXKJco85Pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2JjjSKh6jM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_CcJ-uBWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9Ps5mo_Mo

Ugh, I'd forgotten how much they sounded like bad '90s videogame music.

I can hardly wait for something to be shown. Even if it's a single teaser image of a character, as minor of a character as it is. It's still surprising to me that this is even happening. People have long asked for a new Dragon Ball series after DBZ. At some point, you accept that it'll never happen, and that Toriyama has lost total interest in the universe. I'll take a continuation after the Buu saga, but ideally, I would've liked an absolute reset in the character cast, story, and universe. It could've either taken hundreds of years after DBZ, or in a new universe altogether.

Have you seen this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166712311&postcount=2944

It's the storyboard for the new opening.

NeonZ

yeah, not going to happens. you should know what your saiyan isn't the direction the show has been taking.

If they're just going to highlight the Saiyans, why weren't Goten and Trunks in the new movie at all? There's a chance that this new show will go in a different direction.

mstevens

I was a big DBZ fan in middle school, and then I powered through all the DB episodes a few years ago. This thread convinced me to go out and buy season one and re watch DBZ from the beginning.

HD version of the logo.
4P3NqJc.png

I think they should have another adventure away from earth and probably in another universe. I think that's what will happen though, since they introduced the idea of other universes.

Jarate

Banned
OG DBZ is worth watching for the car scene alone

but Kai is the better series, just wish that Toei didnt butcher the art

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
OG DBZ is worth watching for the car scene alone

but Kai is the better series, just wish that Toei didnt butcher the art

If you mean the scenes redrawn in flash I agree. The show kind of does it to itself though with the show sometimes looking different between commercial breaks.

zeshakag

Someone on the Dragonball subreddit recommended doing a new world martial arts tournament like they did in the first DB series. I think that would be an incredible idea. And not one that ends half way through. A legit, sit-your-ass-down-and-watch-each-round-of-this-tournament arc kind of like Yu Yu Hakusho. Maybe introduce a couple of unknown characters who are stronger than you might think, have Beezus edit: Beerus join in while holding back so as not to destroy the earth. Lots of potential for fun and drama.

Someone on the Dragonball subreddit recommended doing a new world martial arts tournament like they did in the first DB series. I think that would be an incredible idea. And not one that ends half way through. A legit, sit your ass down and watch each round of this tournament arc kind of like Yu Yu Hakusho. Maybe introduce a couple of unknown characters who are stronger than you might think, have Beezus edit: Beerus join in while holding back so as not to destroy the earth. Lots of potential for fun and drama.

Just keep Mr. Satan out of it...
Make it a rule that you arent allowed to transform, so all saiyans have to be baselevel. Invite some aliens too and have fun. Seeing a final Goku vs. Vegeta would be glorious...by the way, is Mr. Buu any strong? can't really remember...

Vibranium

Banned
I wish Funimation could get the English dub out alongside the Japanese airing, yeah I know all of the work that goes on to even make dubs happen, but it's freaking Dragon Ball. Considering how huge the international audience is I think it would be something to work towards.

zulux21

I wish Funimation could get the English dub out alongside the Japanese airing, yeah I know all of the work that goes on to even make dubs happen, but it's freaking Dragon Ball.

with any luck they can get a simuldub going, which would put the english episodes about 4-6 weeks behind the japanese release.

step one will be getting a simulcast going though, and that one is a major one. If they can do that there is a high chance they do a simuldub, I don't see it likely though. I see Cartoon network and Nick fighting each other to get the rights to air DBS in the US as even if the show is garbage there is still a great chance of high ratings.

until otherwise though I am just going to assume I won't get to watch any db super for a year or so.

Considering this series has no strict source material to follow and the fact that it's Dragonball, depending on the ratings I expect this show to end right around the heat death of the universe.

with any luck they can get a simuldub going, which would put the english episodes about 4-6 weeks behind the japanese release.

step one will be getting a simulcast going though, and that one is a major one. If they can do that there is a high chance they do a simuldub, I don't see it likely though. I see Cartoon network and Nick fighting each other to get the rights to air DBS in the US as even if the show is garbage there is still a great chance of high ratings.

until otherwise though I am just going to assume I won't get to watch any db super for a year or so.

I wonder if a petition would help, but I'm not sure how effective those are.

Crocodile

Considering this series has no strict source material to follow and the fact that it's Dragonball, depending on the ratings I expect this show to end right around the heat death of the universe.

That didn't follow for GT :p

I really do hope this show is good though. I really do, I don't want my adult self to be disappointed in the Dragon Ball name (or at least further disappointed if you consider GT).

zulux21

I wonder if a petition would help, but I'm not sure how effective those are.

It wouldn't help at all.

Funimation has every reason in the world to release DB super as fast as possible to get the new DB money to roll on in. It's all going to come down to how fast they can sign contracts, and who they sign contracts with.

the japanese companies involved could make demands to keep them from being able to stream it.

and any tv company they make a deal with could require them not to stream any dub on their site that hasn't aired on their channel yet. Space Dandy is a good example of this. Funimation clearly had the dub done as CN was airing it, but weren't allowed to put the dubbed stuff up on their site until a few months after space dandy aired on CN.

but i mean we are already at over a year since the second part of dbz kai started to air in japan, and we haven't even gotten word that funimation is going to release any of it in english this year :/

That didn't follow for GT :p

I really do hope this show is good though. I really do, I don't want my adult self to be disappointed in the Dragon Ball name (or at least further disappointed if you consider GT).

to be fair GT was not manga cannon in any way and a lot of fans of DB/DBZ tuned out right away because of that. Having the original creator on board to guide the series will help people quite a bit with giving it a serious chance.

zeshakag

I feel like, if Toei had a better marketing department, they could alleviate so much of this tension and build hype like crazy. I mean, IT'S NEW FUCKING DRAGONBALL BY AKIRA TORIYAMA. There's already a lot of buzz, and that was just with a tiny press release. There are so many global fans of Dragonball out there, try to appeal to them. Release a hype trailer. Doesn't even have to contain actual footage (god knows Toei wouldn't dare waste a single key-frame judging from previous DBZ series), just bullshit cgi text, lens flares on a moving space screensaver, and some fade to white transitions through several screenshots, followed by

"DORAGON BOORU, *slashing sound* SUPAAAAA" *fade up cha-la head cha-la*

It works, man. I wasn't that hyped during the Fallout Trailer until that electrical switch sound effect and the lightning bolt logo came on. Then I lost it.

It's not like anybody here in the states is going to get Super for a long time unless it's broadcasted late as hell on toonami

Kai was first broadcast on Nicktoons ffs

NICKTOONS

You can't get more struggle than that.

zeshakag

Oh...you're right. For some reason I thought there was a chance Crunchyroll would get simulcast rights. Nope, probably all Funimation, and they probably won't get simulcast rights. And if they do, people will have to go to the Funimation website, which is in itself struggle.

Takao

Banned
Kai: The Final Chapters wasn't simulcasted. If Toei wouldn't let them do that for a show that was specifically created for the international market, I can't see why they'd have a change of heart for Super.

Kai: The Final Chapters wasn't simulcasted. If Toei wouldn't let them do that for a show that was specifically created for the international market, I can't see why they'd have a change of heart for Super.

Who says Toei didn't let them? Funi might have just not wanted to.

AdanVC

I feel like, if Toei had a better marketing department, they could alleviate so much of this tension and build hype like crazy. I mean, IT'S NEW FUCKING DRAGONBALL BY AKIRA TORIYAMA. There's already a lot of buzz, and that was just with a tiny press release. There are so many global fans of Dragonball out there, try to appeal to them. Release a hype trailer. Doesn't even have to contain actual footage (god knows Toei wouldn't dare waste a single key-frame judging from previous DBZ series), just bullshit cgi text, lens flares on a moving space screensaver, and some fade to white transitions through several screenshots, followed by

"DORAGON BOORU, *slashing sound* SUPAAAAA" *fade up cha-la head cha-la*

It works, man. I wasn't that hyped during the Fallout Trailer until that electrical switch sound effect and the lightning bolt logo came on. Then I lost it.

Agree! I mean. The show is supposed to air this july! Less than two months now! I'm still surprised (or I should say, concerned) we haven't seen anything about the new series, no trailer, no teaser, not even a leak or something to build hype. By the time the first episode release literally everyone will be like "Oh, the new DB series, I almost forgot about it... let's watch it I guess" And that would be a disaster considering this is the true return of the most famous anime in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom