• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Yup, I'll definitely be playing this week. I'm doing a seperate review for campaign and multiplayer, so I have a bit more time to evaluate the MP when the servers are fully up and populated.

Also working on a big story/campaign review for the HaloGAF peeps.

Patch goes live October 22. After that, all MP coverage is fair game.

Pumped. I think my first stream will go live at 8pm this Friday (BST)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Elzar is. Though he wrote 'opionated', until I corrected him.

On another note:

naamloos-1zvrh8.jpg

Time to get cracking on that campaign review. See you guys on October 26.

ohh shit, awesome. in that achievement art Chief looks like batman, but why? LOL

Warning: spoiler
12 Osiris: 3 Blue team, although the blue team missions are longer and the game is about them.

Didn't Frankie continue to insist that the playtime between Master Chief and Locke was pretty much equal like a year ago?

Pretty disappointing... I don't care about ANY of Osiris aside from Buck... I want to play as the Chief. :( Oh well, looks like I am just going to play MM only, and I'll just YouTube the game's cut scenes and story.

rrc1594

Didn't Frankie continue to insist that the playtime between Master Chief and Locke was pretty much equal like a year ago?

Pretty disappointing... I don't care about ANY of Osiris aside from Buck... I want to play as the Chief. :( Oh well, looks like I am just going to play MM only, and I'll just YouTube the game's cut scenes and story.

Holy shit when did you get unbanned

Madness

The Trials, damn! Can't wait to see how the music is in game. Soundtrack is one thing, but it needs to be accompanied by killer level design and campaign moments to be memorable. Kazuma really did a solid job. Just look at the Sprints to see.

FeD.nL

Wonder why that is, they've been featured very heavily in previous campaigns of course and that really should have allowed the player to care for these characters by this point, 343 must have messed up.

Wonder why that is, they've been featured very heavily in previous campaigns of course and that really should have allowed the player to care for these characters by this point, 343 must have messed up.

Hehe, nah it's just that to me Halo IS the Master Chief. I don't even really care about Buck all that much, just find his story interesting and liked to see how he's changed and what he's been up too. Also Nathan is so charming.

I care more about Chief than I'll probably care about Locke. When the prospect of hunting Chief comes in, I don't WANT to play as Locke. I want to play as the Chief and see how he escapes and what he's doing from HIS eyes. I don't want to play as a new character and experience everything from his point of view. I want to be the Hunted, Not the Hunter. I want 10 hours of seeing Chief reuniting and working with Blue Team

But hey, maybe 343 will surprise me and Locke and his crew will be entertaining as well. Just saying right now, hearing we play
9 Levels as Osiris and 3 levels as Blue Team
doesn't excite me at all, and actually disappoints me. I'd much rather have it be the other way around.

FeD.nL

Hehe, nah it's just that to me Halo IS the Master Chief. I don't even really care about Buck all that much, just find his story interesting and liked to see how he's changed and what he's been up too. Also Nathan is so charming.

I care more about Chief than I'll probably care about Locke. When the prospect of hunting Chief comes in, I don't WANT to play as Locke. I want to play as the Chief and see how he escapes and what he's doing from HIS eyes. I don't want to play as a new character and experience everything from his point of view. I want to be the Hunted, Not the Hunter. I want 10 hours of seeing Chief reuniting and working with Blue Team

But hey, maybe 343 will surprise me and Locke and his crew will be entertaining as well. Just saying right now, hearing we play
9 Levels as Osiris and 3 levels as Blue Team
doesn't excite me at all, and actually disappoints me. I'd much rather have it be the other way around.

Fair enough. I like playing as the chief but I might enjoy the character more when viewed from another perspective. Be it the legendary soldier he's viewed to be, or the demon for others and now the traitor I really can't wait to see that unfold and it seems that 343 is on point from what they have shown.

With Buck telling Locke the rest of the UNSC are going to hate them when they hear it, you could even see that as almost breaking the 4th wall, I mean who are these characters to hunt the main protagonist we've been playing as for so long. I don't know what it is but Fireteam Osiris really intrigues me, I like what I've seen so far. But I understand if someone might be put off, though I do think you should give it a chance before resorting to youtube.

To this day I still don't understand how people can sit here and say the Chief is Halo. No, he's not. There's so much more to the Halo universe than just one man.

16BitNova

To this day I still don't understand how people can sit here and say the Chief is Halo. No, he's not. There's so much more to the Halo universe than just one man.

No, but according to 343, this is the Reclaimer Saga. This is partially why others and myself are disappointed with the ratio of Osiris missions to Blue Team missions. If this was mainly an Osiris game then it should have been a spin off. The Ads have shown as much Chief as they have Osiris. Almost like tricking the people into thinking they will definitely play a lot of Chief (Which is a selling point to many people). When in reality you are going to mainly play Osiris. Again, if this truly was the Reclaimer Saga, then we should mainly be playing the Reclaimer.

You can't really say what a game series is or isn't to someone else. You might get different feedback from the games but to some, Master Chief, his story, relationships, struggles, are Halo. Halo's more than about the Master Chief to me, but I can understand why he'd resonate the most with others. He's the face of Halo.

UKUMI0

No, but according to 343, this is the Reclaimer Saga. This is partially why others and myself are disappointed with the ratio of Osiris missions to Blue Team missions. If this was mainly an Osiris game then it should have been a spin off. The Ads have shown as much Chief as they have Osiris. Almost like tricking the people into thinking they will definitely play a lot of Chief (Which is a selling point to many people). When in reality you are going to mainly play Osiris. Again, if this truly was the Reclaimer Saga, then we should mainly be playing the Reclaimer.

Trust me, this game concentrates very much on reclaimers of the mantle....I don't think it could do it anymore. Seriously, anymore and this game would be called Halo 5: Reclaimers.

Umm I think you're confused. Chief isn't THE Recalimer. Humanity as a whole are the Reclaimers.

As for the gameplay ratio, I honestly don't see why it bothers so many people. It's been said by multiple reviewers that the story is in fact about Blue Team. Why does it matter who you play as for a majority of the time? There's no difference in gameplay between the two teams. The only difference whatsoever are the visuals. Not to mention Blue Teams missions are significantly longer than Osiris' based on the missions people have been allowed to stream.

Madness

Umm I think you're confused. Chief isn't THE Recalimer. Humanity as a whole are the Reclaimers.

As for the gameplay ratio, I honestly don't see why it bothers so many people. It's been said by multiple reviewers that the story is in fact about Blue Team. Why does it matter who you play as for a majority of the time? There's no difference in gameplay between the two teams. The only difference whatsoever are the visuals. Not to mention Blue Teams missions are significantly longer than Osiris' based on the missions people have been allowed to stream.

Humanity are Reclaimers but Chief is the Reclaimer around which this trilogy/saga is based. It's why Librarian did that shit to him in Halo 4 remember, and it's why in that E3 video we saw the Guardians/Warden guys say Chief was requested, you were not to Locke.

Humanity are Reclaimers but Chief is the Reclaimer around which this trilogy/saga is based. It's why Librarian did that shit to him in Halo 4 remember, and it's why in that E3 video we saw the Guardians/Warden guys say Chief was requested, you were not to Locke.

The Librarian did what she did to give Chief immunity from the Composer, not because he was a Reclaimer. And we have absolutely no idea why the Warden accepted Chief, but denied Locke. You're entirely speculating on that front.

Haha, I nearly clicked, but I am stronger than your enticing spoilers.

It's not even really a spoiler (mostly just talks about the mission ratio between the two teams). I spoiler tagged it to be safe.

Madness

The Librarian did what she did to give Chief immunity from the Composer, not because he was a Reclaimer. And we have absolutely no idea why the Warden accepted Chief, but denied Locke.

Dude, 343 Guilty Spark calls Chief Reclaimer, they said this was the Reclaimer Trilogy and Chief was part of Halo 4, then they said it's becoming more of a saga, then you have the MCC launch with the phrase 'the seeds of our future are sown in his past', and all of Halo 5 is pretty much about Chief. All things being equal, it's pretty self evident at this point that in this saga, Chief is the Reclaimer.

Trup1aya

How extreme... I'm going to skip the entire single player campaign because of the stories perspective... Regardless how fun it may be...

Dude, 343 Guilty Spark calls Chief Reclaimer, they said this was the Reclaimer Trilogy and Chief was part of Halo 4, then they said it's becoming more of a saga, then you have the MCC launch with the phrase 'the seeds of our future are sown in his past', and all of Halo 5 is pretty much about Chief. All things being equal, it's pretty self evident at this point that in this saga, Chief is the Reclaimer.

Chief is in no way The Reclaimer. Various Forerunner AI have called various Humans "reclaimer" all throughout the franchise.

This the 'reclaimer saga' not because chief was given immunity to the composer... But because the 'reclamation has begun'

"The seeds of the future are sown in the past' because the librarian planted 'seeds' into human genealogy that would allow them to regain their dominance when the time was right.

That's the reason why all of the Spartan II's have an inexplicable familiarity with Forerunner technology. The genetic markers that Halsey associated with making them candidates also apparently meant they had the appropriate geas. I would imagine, the the Librarian would have given immunity to whichever Spartan that came before her. It just so happened to be MC.

pieface

I have to say I have very little interest in playing as Locke. From what I've seen I don't really like his character at all, he seems very "straight laced" and it bores me. Maybe that will change in the story, who knows. But the Chief is halo to me too, being into the games and not the lore has made it that way really.

I'm pretty hyped about this game but reading the spoiler above has kinda dampened my hype for the campaign. Multiplayer will be awesome still though.

And? Like I said before, Humanity as a whole are Reclaimers. Chief is not some one in a million Reclaimer like you're suggesting. It's a term coined by the Forerunners that refers to whoever inherits the mantle. The Forerunners intended for that to be Humanity before they fired the Halo rings and thus killing themselves. Thus all humans are Reclaimers. Only some of them are capable of accessing and using Forerunner technology though, specifically those who carry a geas.

And? Like I said before, Humanity as a whole are Reclaimers. Chief is not some one in a million Reclaimer like you're suggesting. It's a term coined by the Forerunners that refers to whoever inherits the mantle. The Forerunners intended for that to be Humanity before they fired the Halo rings and thus killing themselves. Thus all humans are Reclaimers.
True, humanity as a species are "the Reclaimers", but Chief isn't just any random Reclaimer though. He has a special role to play, more than any other, hence why the Librarian specifically told him that everything from his DNA, his armor, his "ancilla" Cortana, he himself, are the "culmination of a thousand lifetimes of planning".

Madness

Okay, and so who is the 'hero' of this reclaimer saga. Who will finish this fight. Obviously Chief, no? Unless you guys know different? Humanity are Reclaimers, Chief is the one who's saved the Galaxy at least 4 times now, the games are about him and his struggle, ie. He's the main 'reclaimer'. No matter how much they force Palmer, Thorne, Locke, Osiris Team on us no?

I mean he's single handedly doing something that involves the Guardians.

True, humanity as a species are "the Reclaimers", but Chief isn't just any random Reclaimer though. He has a special role to play, more than any other, hence why the Librarian specifically told him that everything from his DNA, his armor, his "ancilla" Cortana, he himself, are "culmination of a thousand lifetimes of planning".

She wasn't referring to just John when saying that. She was merely using him as a basis.

Okay, and so who is the 'hero' of this reclaimer saga. Who will finish this fight. Obviously Chief, no? Unless you guys know different? Humanity are Reclaimers, Chief is the one who's saved the Galaxy at least 4 times now, the games are about him and his struggle, ie. He's the main 'reclaimer'. No matter how much they force Palmer, Thorne, Locke, Osiris Team on us no?

Who the hero is means next to nothing in regards to what you're attempting to argue. Yes, Chief is the MC. Nobody's disputing that, but he's not some one in a million Reclaimer like you're attempting to argue.

I would agree to a certain extent, however when we are talking about a numbered entry in the Halo universe then it be better be all about the Chief!

The Halo universe is for the off shoots and non numbered entries.

Even when you're playing as Locke for the majority of the game, the story still revolves around Blue Team and, more specifically, the Master Chief. He's portrayed as a person that makes choices, rather than a green robot that just follows orders. I think it's a very interesting way in which 343 chose to tell their story.

Don't take my word for it, though. You'll find out in a week.

She wasn't referring to just John when saying that. She was merely using him as a basis.
How did you arrive to that conclusion? I don't see any evidence where she was referring to humanity as a whole in that sequence. Humanity hasn't done anything special since the Librarian reseeded them thousands of years ago. But John has.

Still, they said the split would be pretty much even. I haven't read the supposed spoiler, and I do not intend to, but if you play as Locke for the overwhelming majority. Well, I can't help but be disappointed at that.

Madness

Who the hero is means next to nothing in regards to what you're attempting to argue. Yes, Chief is the MC. Nobody's disputing that, but he's not some one in a million Reclaimer like you're attempting to argue.

He's the only one who saved the Galaxy 4 times, the only one whatever the Librarian did something to, the one who is doing whatever he's doing with the Guardians and the Warden even said to Locke you are not welcome unlike Chief. How can you say he's not some one in a million Reclaimer? He's to humanity what Didact is to Forerunners, the Arbiter to the Elites etc. How many other Spartans had an 'ancilla' like Cortana?

Whatever, game comes in 8 days, we'll all see for ourselves what the story is like.

Trup1aya

True, humanity as a species are "the Reclaimers", but Chief isn't just any random Reclaimer though. He has a special role to play, more than any other, hence why the Librarian specifically told him that everything from his DNA, his armor, his "ancilla" Cortana, he himself, are the "culmination of a thousand lifetimes of planning".

But it's not specifically planning for the chief himself... But more a planning for Humanity to again posses the tech to perform augmentations, build AI, and have such armor... Just as the Ancient Humans used to have... What she said to Chief would apply to all Spartans and Smart AI.

How did you arrive to that conclusion? I don't see any evidence where she was referring to humanity as a whole in that sequence. Humanity hasn't done anything special since the Librarian reseeded them thousands of years ago. But John has.

This is just wrong... The implication is that the Librian had all along planned for Humanity, a once powerful space faring race that rivaled the Forerunners themselves, to regain their place in the Universe... She planted 'seeds' that would allow humans to rediscover the ability to perform genetic augmentations, build suits of armor, and create smart AI or "ancilla"

Masterchief and Cortana are just one of many fruits borne of those seeds.

Chief is obviously the most important one; Thanks to in part to his actions, but also due to plenty of chance. But their is no indication that she intended for John and Cortana specifically to exist. She just laid the ground work for humanity to create specimens like John and Cortana.

And where did she refer to John's achievements during her talk with him? Last I recall she referred to his physical evolution, combat skin, and Anchilla (which had absolutely nothing to do with John, but Halsey).

Chief doesn't have a genetic makeup different than any of the other Spartan II's. His combat skin isn't any different than any of the other Spartan II's or any MJOlNIR in general. He's not even regarded as the best Spartan II.

It's clear she wasn't referring to just him.

He's the only one who saved the Galaxy 4 times, the only one whatever the Librarian did something to, the one who is doing whatever he's doing with the Guardians and the Warden even said to Locke you are not welcome unlike Chief. How can you say he's not some one in a million Reclaimer? He's to humanity what Didact is to Forerunners, the Arbiter to the Elites etc. How many other Spartans had an 'ancilla' like Cortana?

Whatever, game comes in 8 days, we'll all see for ourselves what the story is like.

I.E. a hero and/or a very polarized figure. Not some one in a million Reclaimer like you keep trying to suggest.

m23

It's Palmer.

But it's not specifically planning for the chief himself... But more a planning for Humanity to again posses the tech to perform augmentations, build AI, and have such armor... Just as the Ancient Humans used to have... What she said to Chief would apply to all Spartans and Smart AI.

This is just wrong... The implication is that the Librian had all along planned for Humanity, a once powerful space faring race that rivaled the Forerunners themselves, to regain their place in the Universe... She planted 'seeds' that would allow humans to rediscover the ability to perform genetic augmentations, build suits of armor, and create smart AI or "ancilla"

Masterchief and Cortana are just one of many fruits borne of those seeds.

Chief is obviously the most important one; Thanks to in part to his actions, but also due to plenty of chance. But their is no indication that she intended for John and Cortana specifically to exist. She just laid the ground work for humanity to create specimens like John and Cortana.

And where did she refer to John's achievements during her talk with him? Last I recall she referred to his physical evolution, combat skin, and Anchilla (which had absolutely nothing to do with John, but Halsey).

Chief doesn't have a genetic makeup different than any of the other Spartan II's. His combat skin isn't any different than any of the other Spartan II's or any MJOlNIR in general. He's not even regarded as the best Spartan II.

It's clear she wasn't referring to just him.
That's possible, but I don't know, that's what I got out of the conversation. In fact later on in Halo 4, humanity would cease to exist if it weren't for John. If he hadn't been specifically there to encounter the Librarian and receive immunity from the Composer, humans as a species would have been gone. I think you guys are kind of downplaying his special role in humanity. Nothing that happened in the games would have happened the way it did if the Chief wasn't there to carry them out. That's at least what we can take at face value, he's not just any random person. That's partly why I feel like the Librarian was referring to him there, the eventuality that he'd be there to ensure humanity maintains the path to the Mantle. Perhaps Frankie can clear it up. For me anyway.

That's possible, but I don't know, that's what I got out of the conversation. In fact later on in Halo 4, humanity would cease to exist if it weren't for John. If he hadn't been specifically there to encounter the Librarian and receive immunity from the Composer, humans as a species would have been gone. I think you guys are kind of downplaying his special role in humanity. Nothing that happened in the games would have happened the way it did if the Chief wasn't there to carry them out. That's at least what we can take at face value, he's not just any random person. That's partly why I feel like the Librarian was referring to him there, the eventuality that he'd be there to ensure humanity maintains the path to the Mantle. Perhaps Frankie can clear it up. For me anyway.

I'm not downplaying his achievements in anyway. I'm just not buying that he's a one of a kind Recalimer that the Librarian specifically intended to have exist. Like Trup1aya said, the Librarian laid the foundations so that people like John could exist.

Is he a significant figure among Humanity as a whole? Yes. He's like the Arbiter and Didact in that regard. Is he some special Reclaimer that the Librarian specifically wanted to create? Eh that's where I jump off the train.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm not downplaying his achievements in anyway. I'm just not buying that he's a one of a kind Recalimer that the Librarian specifically intended to have exist. Like Trup1aya said, the Librarian laid the foundations so that people like John could exist.

Is he a significant figure among Humanity as a whole? Yes. He's like the Arbiter and Didact in that regard. Is he some special Reclaimer that the Librarian specifically wanted to create? Eh that's where I jump off the train.

You also state that it was Halsey that created Cortana, and nothing to do with the Chief. But that's kinda beside the point. Halsey also had a geas - it was her destiny to create Cortana from her cloned brain, and for Cortana to choose John over all the spartans.

Cortana herself said that he had one quality that no other spartan had - luck. Where do you think that very specific luck comes from?

I believe you are right in saying that all humans are reclaimers. Otherwise Miranda Keyes' hand wouldn't have started to activate the rings in 3. But the Chief is at the forefront of the eventual revolution. It is specifically him that is the culmination of the Librarian's plan to do all the leg work on behalf of all humanity, and ultimately inherit the Mantle.

You also state that it was Halsey that created Cortana, and nothing to do with the Chief. But that's kinda beside the point. Halsey also had a geas - it was her destiny to create Cortana from her cloned brain, and for Cortana to choose John over all the spartans.

Cortana herself said that he had one quality that no other spartan had - luck. Where do you think that very specific luck comes from?

I believe you are right in saying that all humans are reclaimers. Otherwise Miranda Keyes' hand wouldn't have started to activate the rings in 3. But the Chief is at the forefront of the eventual revolution. It is specifically him that is the culmination of the Librarian's plan to do all the leg work on behalf of all humanity, and ultimately inherit the Mantle.

Sorry, but I disagree. The Librarian's conversation with Chief doesn't point to her plan revolving around just him. Not in my eyes anyway. If it did then she wouldn't mention factors that many others share with the Chief like genetic makeup and combat skin.

iFirez

Warning: spoiler
12 Osiris: 3 Blue team, although the blue team missions are longer and the game is about them.
Upon first reading this, I was disappointed...

Coming from someone who's beaten the campaign: it's the story of Blue Team. You'll see when you play.
This however filled me back up with the confidence I've placed in 343 and Halo 5.

I'm almost imagining that Osiris are one step behind Blue Team and piecing together the puzzles that are their actions throughout the campaign - some of which you get to play. Then the two teams clash at certain times. That to me sounds like the best way that the story could still be 'All about Blue Team' even though they only have
3 missions
. God I hope I like Osiris.

FYI: I'm mostly dark and not seen any footage beside the small clips that were released by 343.

Top Bottom