• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Trup1aya

That's possible, but I don't know, that's what I got out of the conversation. In fact later on in Halo 4, humanity would cease to exist if it weren't for John. If he hadn't been specifically there to encounter the Librarian and receive immunity from the Composer, humans as a species would have been gone. I think you guys are kind of downplaying his special role in humanity. Nothing that happened in the games would have happened the way it did if the Chief wasn't there to carry them out. That's at least what we can take at face value, he's not just any random person. That's partly why I feel like the Librarian was referring to him there, the eventuality that he'd be there to ensure humanity maintains the path to the Mantle. Perhaps Frankie can clear it up. For me anyway.

Well, taking halo4 into consideration, along with all of the extended lore, you get a greater understanding of how the Librarians influence works.

Even after planting her "seeds" she goes back to study how her specimen evolves, sometimes in awe... She isn't planning for a specific entity, more like supplying the conditions for such an entity to exist.

It's true that Master Chief carried out important events, but the Librarian had no way of knowing or planning for any of the events leading up to his arrival at Requim. She's essentially a futuristic geneticist, not a fortune teller. Persumably, any other Spartan II could have done what chief did had they been on the Pillar of Autumn instead of him.

You also state that it was Halsey that created Cortana, and nothing to do with the Chief. But that's kinda beside the point. Halsey also had a geas - it was her destiny to create Cortana from her cloned brain, and for Cortana to choose John over all the spartans.

Cortana herself said that he had one quality that no other spartan had - luck. Where do you think that very specific luck comes from?

I believe you are right in saying that all humans are reclaimers. Otherwise Miranda Keyes' hand wouldn't have started to activate the rings in 3. But the Chief is at the forefront of the eventual revolution. It is specifically him that is the culmination of the Librarian's plan to do all the leg work on behalf of all humanity, and ultimately inherit the Mantle.

Luck is just luck... It isn't a genetic trait. Genetics is the only thing the Librarian had any sort of control over, she isn't a god, she was just an influential Forerunner...

She had no way of guaranteeing that Dr. Halsey would create Cortana specifically, or that Cortana would have an affinity to John specifically. Hell, Dr Halsey could have died in a car crash at the age of 12. She doesn't have control over specific events. She isn't as all powerful and omnipotent and all powerful as some of you seem to believe. She didn't even like the fact that devolved humans mistook her for a god.

Got my story/campaign review ready for HaloGAF. Gonna post it on the 26th, after my review at Eurogamer.nl goes live. It's over 2000 words. Be ready.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Well, taking halo4 into consideration, along with all of the extended lore, you get a greater understanding of how the Librarians influence works.

Even after planting her "seeds" she goes back to study how her specimen evolves, sometimes in awe... She isn't planning for a specific entity, more like supplying the conditions for such an entity to exist.

It's true that Master Chief carried out important events, but the Librarian had no way of knowing or planning for any of the events leading up to his arrival at Requim. She's essentially a futuristic geneticist, not a fortune teller. Persumably, any other Spartan II could have done what chief did had they been on the Pillar of Autumn instead of him.

I don't think anyone is saying that it was always specifically John's destiny, just that it was the destiny of a member of humanity, and that happens to be John. Why it is John isn't that important - that John is the result of the geas is the point.

iFirez

Got my story/campaign review ready for HaloGAF. Gonna post it on the 26th, after my review at Eurogamer.nl goes live. It's over 2000 words. Be ready.

Without spoiling the game or your review. Do you think our exceptions will be met at all? Such as will the die hard fans enjoy this (story) one more than Halo 4?

16BitNova

Umm I think you're confused. Chief isn't THE Recalimer. Humanity as a whole are the Reclaimers.

As for the gameplay ratio, I honestly don't see why it bothers so many people. It's been said by multiple reviewers that the story is in fact about Blue Team. Why does it matter who you play as for a majority of the time? There's no difference in gameplay between the two teams. The only difference whatsoever are the visuals. Not to mention Blue Teams missions are significantly longer than Osiris' based on the missions people have been allowed to stream.

I am just a huge Chief fan. And just don't feel any connection with Locke. I thought Nightfall would add some background to his character. Something to make me feel for the dude. But, it really didn't do much for me. Now I'm supposed to care enough to enjoy playing the majority of this game, that has been mainly a Master Chief series throughout, with him (Locke). I don't know... We'll see I guess. It does give me hope that many say "don't worry, this game is the story of Blue Team" and so on. I'll hold my tongue for now.

And yeah, I guess you are right about Humanity as a whole being Reclaimers. Though you cant deny Chief is a special one. The Librarian did implant a special gene song within him.

For a lot of people, that's a review.

Plus honestly, i find that the hype when the game first comes out clouds a lot of peoples minds anyway. We wont know if itll live up until the game as been out for a while and the hype dies down. Thats when you know by the fact that you either wnna keep playing it or you dont.

Thats why im not getting too excited for battlefront. This game to me is all hype built right now and will sell a ton simply because of that. But in 3-4 months when the hype is all gone and youre stuck with this very basic, bare-bone game, we'll see how many people are still excited to play it.

Trup1aya

I don't think anyone is saying that it was always specifically John's destiny, just that it was the destiny of a member of humanity, and that happens to be John. Why it is John isn't that important - that John is the result of the geas is the point.

First of all, there are people who are saying it's John specific Destiny.

Secondly It wasn't the destiny of anyone... Destiny implies the librarian knew that the Covenant would exist and nearly destroy the Galaxy, so she specifically laid the foundation so that ONE specimen would be created to stop a human civil war, and coincidently be given the fighting capabilities stop the apocalypse. That isn't what happened. She just wanted Humanity to re-evolve. And the timing proved to be impeccable...Luck. She had no idea that any of these events would take place.

John IS the result of that geas... As is every other Spartan II... And then Spartan IIIs And now with Spartan IVs , humanity is edging ever closer to the having the artificial genetic mutation capabilities the Ancient Humans had.

Madness

Every thread has spoilers in the title, and I had a brain fart and accidentally clicked the main SPOILER thread, thinking it was the hype thread. I read some shit that people were talking about that I hope isn't what I think it is. As I was scrolling down, it didn't occur to me people were talking about campaign stuff. Time to go dark totally.

Bsigg12

question how do I know if a weapon from the REQ packs is permanent or one time only?

Depends. If it's a power weapon, it's a one time use. There are a set of loadout weapons that are permanent unlocks like the BR, DMR, SMG, BR with a silencer, SMG with a long barrel, and so on and so forth.

I really like that they have integrated opening REQ Packs into Halo Waypoint.

Ugh, that spoiler thread is calling. I don't want to be spoiled but I DO want to enjoy reactions and meltdowns.

This last week will be painful.

Score is gorgeous too, my lord! I'm so grateful that I can build a relationship with the music and then hear how it's used in game

SilentRob

We are going to stream the first few missions & mission 8 tomorrow at 6pm CET along with AC: Syndicate, if anyone's interested and doesn't mind listening to german ;) www.twitch.tv/hookedlive

Only talking about those missions here: The sandboxes are so much bigger than in previous Halo games, you really notice they are built with 4 players in mind. There are always quite a few routes available to you, along with secret routes hidden behind destructible walls along with powerful weapons. I played through these missions a few times now and I still find new pathways and tactical opportunities.

Ein Bear

I'm reserving judgement until I actually play the game, but I'm very dubious about the whole Locke thing. I'm hoping that 343 have something interesting planned, because the obvious storyline that springs to mind of 'Locke thinks Chief is evil. They fight. Locke's boss is actually evil. Chief and Locke team up' is just incredibly dull.

The game still looks insanely fun, so my hype isn't diminished in the slightest, I just hope that the storyline has something interesting to offer in return for cutting into my Chief + Blue Team time.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Depends. If it's a power weapon, it's a one time use. There are a set of loadout weapons that are permanent unlocks like the BR, DMR, SMG, BR with a silencer, SMG with a long barrel, and so on and so forth.

I really like that they have integrated opening REQ Packs into Halo Waypoint.

would love a symbol on the card you get, so you can see instantly if it is permanent or not.

Flipyap

would love a symbol on the card you get, so you can see instantly if it is permanent or not.
If these are any indication, permanents have grey borders, one time use REQs have a white bar at the bottom.

halo-5-req-reveal-ea699b434ad642bca4e41bc528acfa86.png

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This soundtrack is absolutely beautiful! I think Marty may have met his match with Kazuma.
It's very good indeed *but* I do not feel that it is used as effectively in the game. Marty's scores were highly dynamic and punctuated many battles. In Halo 5, at least the first bits, there are too many battles with no music as well as less dynamic music, I feel. The very first mission is the only one I've played that really captured my attention in this regard, unfortunately. Still plenty more to play at least so hopefully it picks up.

Ugh, that spoiler thread is calling. I don't want to be spoiled but I DO want to enjoy reactions and meltdowns.

This last week will be painful.

Score is gorgeous too, my lord! I'm so grateful that I can build a relationship with the music and then hear how it's used in game

The reactions have been less than positive..

Flipyap

It's very good indeed *but* I do not feel that it is used as effectively in the game. Marty's scores were highly dynamic and punctuated many battles. In Halo 5, at least the first bits, there are too many battles with no music as well as less dynamic music, I feel. The very first mission is the only one I've played that really captured my attention in this regard, unfortunately. Still plenty more to play at least so hopefully it picks up.
More importantly, Marty's scores were primarily melodic. The new score seems to be perfectly dramatic, but I haven't heard anything as immediately hummable as classic Halo tunes. Those things weren't just dramatic, it's more like they were engineered in some kind of lab to instantly become your jam. A top secret Flintstones Vitamins laboratory.

Should a new thread be made about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPvK2MICho

At first I thought it was just a silly video, but the description is quite interesting:

Join a global celebration on October 26th as we kick off the highly anticipated launch of Halo 5: Guardians with Halo 5: LIVE, a 6-hour live broadcast streaming exclusively on YouTube. The broadcast is jam-packed with exclusive gameplay reveals, celebrity appearances, live interviews with 343 Industries, special tune-ins from around the world, and much more. Halo 5: LIVE begins at 6PM EDT on Oct. 26 and culminates at midnight when Halo 5: Guardians goes on sale in North America (show time is 3PM - 9PM PDT)

Glass

So the spoilers in the spoiler thread are the real deal now? Because the first handful of pages were safe since there weren't real spoilers out there.

So the spoilers in the spoiler thread are the real deal now? Because the first handful of pages were safe since there weren't real spoilers out there.

It seems so. I subscribed to the spoiler thread and I'll read it all after I finish the campaign. It's so rare these days to be able to enjoy a major IP's newest entry without knowing much about it. I love how a good story unfolds, I'm just getting impatient!

I've managed to stay pretty fresh on Star Wars too, though I hate that they put that thing on the official poster. (You'll know it when you see it)

It seems so. I subscribed to the spoiler thread and I'll read it all after I finish the campaign. It's so rare these days to be able to enjoy a major IP's newest entry without knowing much about it. I love how a good story unfolds, I'm just getting impatient!

I've managed to stay pretty fresh on Star Wars too, though I hate that they put that thing on the official poster. (You'll know it when you see it)

Yeah man, what the actual fuck.....Its a damn poster and they put a huge spoiler like that? fucking stupid idiots

Top Bottom