• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
You'll have to wait for my review to find out. :p

Someone in this thread asked me to place Halo 5 in a ranked list with the other Halo campaigns. I didn't want to, stating that it'd be like saying which of my friends I liked best... And that in that metaphor, I'd definitely made a new friend in Halo 5.

But if you were to assign it a number from some number range, say, 1 to 10, what would you give it?

Kidding, of course. Can't wait for your review.

Akai__

4 years between each release then? 2 per generation? Like GTA?

Spin offs with other developers?

I believe Halo is fine on a 3 year dev cycle. The only things that seamingly suffered from Halo 5 development are modes like BTB and Forge, but they will come soon enough. As long as the gameplay and functionality doesn't suffer from a too short dev cycle it's fine.

We'll also get Halo Wars 2 next year with the help of Creative Assembly, but I'm a little concerned about it, since they have so many open job listings for Halo Wars 2. Always wanted a sequel to Halo Wars and I hope it turns out as good as the 1st one.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I believe Halo is fine on a 3 year dev cycle. The only things that seamingly suffered from Halo 5 development are modes like BTB and Forge, but they will come soon enough. As long as the gameplay and functionality doesn't suffer from a too short dev cycle it's fine.

We'll also get Halo Wars 2 next year with the help of Creative Assembly, but I'm a little concerned about it, since they have so many open job listings for Halo Wars 2. Always wanted a sequel to Halo Wars and I hope it turns out as good as the 1st one.

I still believe those were intentional.

BTB delay to get BTB fans trying out Warzone (which is in their interest when you think about REQ purchases). Forge delay might be a genuine one, but it might also be something to bring it back into the news immediately before Christmas and after the big releases of CoD and Battlefront.

to, stating that it'd be like saying which of my friends I liked best... And that in that metaphor, I'd definitely made a new friend in Halo 5.

No QTEs.

Also, people shouldn't freak out about any 'ratios'.

aTjyClh.gif

Oct 27th. Let's gooo.

Trup1aya

4 years between each release then? 2 per generation? Like GTA?

Spin offs with other developers?

Maybe... Personally I'm fine with a 3 year cycle with some modes coming post-launch. I won't be nearly tired of the day1 content before BTB and Forge arrive, for example.

It's funny you mention GTA, even with the longer dev cycle,that game didn't release its online mode at launch, and the economy was screwed up.

My conclusion is that good, ambitious games are really difficult to make... Especially when the audience ecpects the kitchen sink to be thrown in as well..,

solis74

So I'm really impressed by the AI on legendary. They are a lot smarter than on the other difficulties. All enemies are way more agressive and use new techniques too. I often had the promethean soldiers flanking me resulting in an unexpected death. Hunters are legit mini bosses on legendary. On the other hand friendly AI on legendary doesn't do much expect dying.

cool

I wonder if we will see Halo 6 on Xbox one or the next console. Probably Xbox One I'd assume.
I have a feeling they are going to do spin offs for the rest of the X1s lifecycle. We'll probably see Halo Wars 2 and a standalone game of Buck or some other character., or maybe even just add-ons to Halo 5 sorta like ODST over the lifecycle of XB1.

I have a feeling they are going to do spin offs for the rest of the X1s lifecycle. We'll probably see Halo Wars 2 and a standalone game of Buck or some other character., or maybe even just add-ons to Halo 5 sorta like ODST over the lifecycle of XB1.

Sign me up for a Spartan Buck spinoff.

Hell... Even a Spartan Vale spinoff.

Also, the events of Halo Last Light
potentially setup a spiritual successor to ODST.

Would be great if there was an ODST spin off with a Squad mechanic similar to 5 with just ODSTs and maybe even individual classes with special abilities that really focused on teamwork and made it necessary by lowering base health and making you feel like just a normal human fighting scary ass aliens, which was sorely missing in ODST. Also including finding out Rookies death was a ruse, because he can't be dead. He just can't be.

SwolBro

Banned
i want to get technical.

does anyone know how the aim-assist will be in this game? will it decrease with sensitivity increases? how are the deadzones?

these are things i'd love to know more about

Madness

There is still easily 3-4 years left in this gen. No way they won't finish it with Halo 6. Halo Wars 2 next year, Halo 3 Anniversary/spinoff for 2017, finish up with Halo 6 in 2018 etc. Who knows though. They're probably already hard at work on Halo 6. I mean the Sprints showed us that soon after releasing the Champions DLC for Halo 4, they were already doing Breakout, had the ADS working for Halo 5 by December 2013.

There is still easily 3-4 years left in this gen. No way they won't finish it with Halo 6. Halo Wars 2 next year, Halo 3 Anniversary/spinoff for 2017, finish up with Halo 6 in 2018 etc. Who knows though. They're probably already hard at work on Halo 6. I mean the Sprints showed us that soon after releasing the Champions DLC for Halo 4, they were already doing Breakout, had the ADS working for Halo 5 by December 2013.

I think it would be smart for them to wait till the next Xbox for a H6 (didn't they say they wouldn't be using numbers anymore?). Part of that is that I want more spin offs, I want my Platinum developed Halo Hack n' Slash starring Arby, ODST 2, ONI stealth game, etc. If they are going to make Halo annual like a lot of signs point to then I think the mainline games need to have some time in between them and some major advancements in features, graphics, and story to keep them feeling special and not like "just another Halo".

Madness

I'm asking the same question, I had sent 5 email's to Microsoft PR and Press representatives and no one answered me yet :(

Forget the review copies. I just want to know how I can get in on the closed betas. People were playing H5 for months supposedly and I never knew. Do I have to join one of those global testing companies or something?

I'm pretty sure it is... It's the basis of the spectator mode... Which also lets you pause and rewind live matches...

That's been the common assumption since spectator mode was revealed but it hasn't been explicitly mentioned (to my knowledge) or revealed yet and when 343 go quiet about something, it usually means somethings amiss. Just wondered if anybody with a copy could squash the doubts with finality.

Id like to see a small spin off ODST like game in 2017. With new halo 5 maps and maybe a firefight type thing. Save Halo 6 for the next xbox. Maybe even save it for the next xbox launch and get some units out there.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think it would be smart for them to wait till the next Xbox for a H6 (didn't they say they wouldn't be using numbers anymore?). Part of that is that I want more spin offs, I want my Platinum developed Halo Hack n' Slash starring Arby, ODST 2, ONI stealth game, etc. If they are going to make Halo annual like a lot of signs point to then I think the mainline games need to have some time in between them and some major advancements in features, graphics, and story to keep them feeling special and not like "just another Halo".

Halo 6 will probably be the last Halo on Xbox One, if I were to guess. Open up the next console with Halo 7. Although an Arbiter game by Platinum would be AMAZING. Also, as an aside, it would be awesome if they could connect achievements to collections with future collections. For instance, say there's a Halo collection for the next Xbox, it would be awesome if it already unlocked/included the ones previously unlocked through the MCC. I imagine there might be another Halo collection on the next Xbox eventually, although if the next Xbox is backwards compatible then the one MCC + future Halo titles might suffice.

ryan299

That spoiler about the # of blue team to osiris missions better be wrong for 343s sake. They're already on thin ice with the series

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Id like to see a small spin off ODST like game in 2017. With new halo 5 maps and maybe a firefight type thing. Save Halo 6 for the next xbox. Maybe even save it for the next xbox launch and get some units out there.

No halo game will ever be a launch title. Specially considering the budget of these games and marketing push. It will only sell handful of copies if its a launch title. Would be cool of course, but as a business stand point wouldn't make sense.

Halo 6 by end of Xbox One life cycle (3 years from now) and re-release on next gen Xbox with better visual may be as a launch title? lol may be.

That spoiler about the # of blue team to osiris missions better be wrong for 343s sake. They're already on thin ice with the series

It's been confirmed that you don't ever switch perspective in the middle of missions, so it basically is. It's very possible that the Blue Team missions are longer than the average Osiris missions , the footage of people playing Blue Team seemed to take about as long as 2 of the Osiris missions. 343 is no doubt going to get a lot of anger from the community about it no matter what, especially since Locke ain't no Arby.

No halo game will ever be a launch title. Specially considering the budget of these games and marketing push. It will only sell handful of copies if its a launch title. Would be cool of course, but as a business stand point wouldn't make sense.

Halo 6 by end of Xbox One life cycle (3 years from now) and re-release on next gen Xbox with better visual may be as a launch title? lol may be.

You know what I agree, they should take time with the hard and such. However it wouldnt need a re-release on the next gen xbox as i bet my bottom dollar it will have back compat.

boltz

Just read that book, really enjoyed it and would be a great setting for a game with an ODST ambiance.

Bsigg12

Man, playing as Fred and recreating all or most of the events of that book would be incredible.

Somnia

I remember when everyone hated Arby after Halo 2 launched, now he's loved.

We'll see with Locke after Halo 5, but I'm on #TeamLocke so I'm biased.

Random17

The reaction to the Arbiter in Halo 2 was very knee jerk at first, and it showed when Bungie reduced him to a side character in Halo 3. RIP resuable but limited Active camo, the best stealth mechanic Halo ever had.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So how can i contact Microsoft for a media copy? It really looks like almost everyone that asked got one lol

Not even close, really. A ton of outlets did not. Not 100% sure what the criteria was. We're still on the waiting list.

I do have it pre-bought on XBO as well though, so whether it's soon or a week, I'll get to play it.

Ramirez

You're in FP, I can't be bothered to care. The reason the Arbiter missions sucked ass is because you were fighting the Flood. It had nothing to do with not playing as Chief, for me anyways.

I was always a big fan of Arbiter. Some of his missions were just plain bad but he's always been a straight badass as a character.

Top Bottom