• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Kibbles

I think a better question is what were your opinions on Halo 4? That's totally not embargo breaking, I'm just curious when I read your review where you are coming from.

I tried finding that BWU about the water, but sadly it's no longer on the site.
I think HBO has a weekly update archive

@People who played in the beta

Which control scheme is the "best"? Subjective obviously and I may end up going with something I'm comfortable with like Halo 4's control scheme, but I'm curious what everyone is going with to maximize their dashes, ground-pounds and the like.

My biggest struggle is that I almost certainly want melee, dash and jump on the bumpers, and shoot, ADS and grenade on the triggers. But as you might have math'd, that's 3 options for 2 buttons in both cases, so I'm kind of feeling stuck scheme-wise.

WGFQk0B.jpg

Maybe I'll just be switching Grenade and Thruster, from the looks of it. I wish I could have ADS not taking up the classic throw grenade binding, but having to hit B to ground pound is going to be too awkward, and honestly clicking to zoom is just clunky. I probably won't be totally content with any control scheme until I get my hands on an Elite Controller so I can move throw grenade to a paddle.

Zeta Oni

I dunno, aren't Halo CE and Halo 2 pretty much universally beloved? Right?... Well I'm sure you could find one douchenozzle on here.

Is there not a large group of CE fans that absolutely hated Halo 2?

Im pretty sure every halo has the exact same reaction, except for 4, and thats only because of issues with multiplayer.

I think a better question is what were your opinions on Halo 4? That's totally not embargo breaking, I'm just curious when I read your review where you are coming from.

I hated Halo 4's multiplayer. Its story and campaign were okay, but the former was too difficult to comprehend without outside sources and the latter often felt too claustrophobic. Not to mention the fact that the Prometheans just weren't very fun to fight.

that's not very encouraging.

I simply can't say that much without it turning into a review. I've enjoyed the time I've spent with the game so far.

Is there not a large group of CE fans that absolutely hated Halo 2?

Im pretty sure every halo has the exact same reaction, except for 4, and thats only because of issues with multiplayer.

Yes there were. And a lot of people hated Halo 3 as well. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like something for some particular reason and has to proclaim that dislike to the world.

@People who played in the beta

Which control scheme is the "best"? Subjective obviously and I may end up going with something I'm comfortable with like Halo 4's control scheme, but I'm curious what everyone is going with to maximize their dashes, ground-pounds and the like.

My biggest struggle is that I almost certainly want melee, dash and jump on the bumpers, and shoot, ADS and grenade on the triggers. But as you might have math'd, that's 3 options for 2 buttons in both cases, so I'm kind of feeling stuck scheme-wise.

WGFQk0B.jpg

Maybe I'll just be switching Grenade and Thruster, from the looks of it. I wish I could have ADS not taking up the classic throw grenade binding, but having to hit B to ground pound is going to be too awkward, and honestly clicking to zoom is just clunky. I probably won't be totally content with any control scheme until I get my hands on an Elite Controller so I can move throw grenade to a paddle.

I'm still playing with Recon. Gotta have that reload on RB, at least in my Haloez. Totally fucks with my playstyle otherwise.

I'm fine having reload on X and melee on RB in Destiny, but Recon controls are just ingrained into my muscles whenever I play Halo.

I'm still playing with Recon. Gotta have that reload on RB, at least in my Haloez. Totally fucks with my playstyle otherwise.

I'm fine having reload on X and melee on RB in Destiny, but Recon controls are just ingrained into my muscles whenever I play Halo.
I ran Recon for the majority of the Beta but after a while the whole ground-pound and shoulder-slam stuff got really cumbersome using that layout so I tried to get used to default, so I think that even as someone who has always rolled Recon since Halo 3, I'm going to try to stick it out with default this time around.

I ran Recon for the majority of the Beta but after a while the whole ground-pound and shoulder-slam stuff got really cumbersome using that layout so I tried to get used to default, so I think that even as someone who has always rolled Recon since Halo 3, I'm going to try to stick it out with default this time around.

Some of that has been changed, however. Ground pound is now activated by holding the melee button, rather than whatever other button it was in the beta. Feels a lot more natural.

I had a lot of trouble pulling off the ground pound during the beta, but was smashing fools within minutes of playing this time around.

Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Some of that has been changed, however. Ground pound is now activated by holding the melee button, rather than whatever other button it was in the beta. Feels a lot more natural.

I had a lot of trouble pulling off the ground pound during the beta, but was smashing fools within minutes of playing this time around.

I don't even think it's YMMV... I think the ground pound is unquestionably better and so much easier/fun to use then it was in the beta.

Also maybe one day I'll spend the time to reconfigure my brain to take advantage of the jump button on the bumpers but for now it's Recon as it's what I'm used too in regards to halo.

The default codesque control scheme drove me bat shit crazy

Whoa whoa whoa, I did not know about this change. ADS might be going on the stick. Or maybe even Grenade or Melee could be on the stick, I guess. Fuck me, Halo 5 needs too many buttons.

Vire

I hated Halo 4's multiplayer. Its story and campaign were okay, but the former was too difficult to comprehend without outside sources and the latter often felt too claustrophobic. Not to mention the fact that the Prometheans just weren't very fun to fight.
One of us, one of us!

A quick heads up, if anyone is getting a brand new Xbox One, Xbox Rewards is doing an offer. Anyone currently a part of Xbox Rewards can refer people and you will get $25 (Microsoft calls it Rewards Credits but they convert to real money in your Microsoft account). So if you are getting a brand new sexy Halo Xbox One Console (or any Xbox One console and have not owned one before) then PM me or anyone else currently a part of Xbox Rewards.

Deal ends November 25th.

Rules:

1. Select eligible friends from the box on the right and hit "Send" to fire referral emails their way. For a friend to be eligible, he or she must:
Be 13 years or older
Reside in an eligible location
Not currently own an Xbox One

2. Make sure each friend you refer purchases a new Xbox One, signs in to Xbox Live, and activates it as his or her home console by November 25, 2015*.

3. Your Rewards are on the way!

Sai

You have to hold melee for Ground Pound now, right? How's that affect aerial Assassinations?

Actually, are aerial Assassinations even still a thing? I mean, they've got a variety you can switch between now; don't even know if the animations differ depending on the angle or speed you come at them with, like in Reach & 4.

You have to hold melee for Ground Pound now, right? How's that affect aerial Assassinations?

Actually, are aerial Assassinations even still a thing? I mean, they've got a variety you can switch between now; don't even know if the animations differ depending on the angle or speed you come at them with, like in Reach & 4.

They still work. Dunno if they give you a different animation, but you can still pull them off.

SwolBro

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa, I did not know about this change. ADS might be going on the stick. Or maybe even Grenade or Melee could be on the stick, I guess. Fuck me, Halo 5 needs too many buttons.

yes, it does. it's stupid that they took out crouch/slide/ground pound all in one button, really stupid.

But hey, ELITE CONTROLLER is what this game was built for. Get on it.

RoKKeR

Quick question for those in the know - does the Warzone Req pack bundle come with customization options like armor, visors, etc. or does it only have the "cards" used in Warzone?

Trup1aya

yes, it does. it's stupid that they took out crouch/slide/ground pound all in one button, really stupid.

But hey, ELITE CONTROLLER is what this game was built for. Get on it.

That doesn't really work with the one true halo control scheme. With crouch on left stick, ground pound was terrible in the beta...

Also, how can you aim your ground pound of you have it mapped to a face button?

ElRenoRaven

Quick question for those in the know - does the Warzone Req pack bundle come with customization options like armor, visors, etc. or does it only have the "cards" used in Warzone?

All packs you get have a chance to have armors, visor colors, assasinations, etc. So those packs could have anything in them that you'd find in any other Req pack.

Trup1aya

I think Frankie addressed this... You have to be looking down to initiate a ground pound... Where as you'd be look across to an opponents back on assassinations.

Bsigg12

Every pack has 2 permanent unlocks and can possibly have Mythic Legendary gear (the rarest of the rare in the game). This is everything from armor, helmets to emblems, assassinations and stances.

SwolBro

Banned
That doesn't really work with the one true halo control scheme. With crouch on left stick, ground pound was terrible in the beta...

Also, how can you aim your ground pound of you have it mapped to a face button?

huh? with the elite you can just map it somewhere else, to a bumper or paddle. i'm thinking something like this

Left bumper: melee/charge/ground pound
Left trigger: grenade
Left back upper paddle: jump
Left stick: sprint

Right bumper: reload
Right trigger: shoot
Right back upper paddle: thruster
Right stick: smart scope

A: crouch/slide
X: switch weapon
B: Scoreboard
Y: toggle grenade

i've thought of various different combos already, i wont truly know what works until i have the game/controller and try out the combos.

RoKKeR

All packs you get have a chance to have armors, visor colors, assasinations, etc. So those packs could have anything in them that you'd find in any other Req pack.

Every pack has 2 permanent unlocks and can possibly have Mythic Legendary gear (the rarest of the rare in the game). This is everything from armor, helmets to emblems, assassinations and stances.

I am a sucker for armor customization in Halo... fuck. I'm actually considering this now.

Trup1aya

huh? with the elite you can just map it somewhere else, to a bumper or paddle. i'm thinking something like this

Left bumper: melee/charge/ground pound
Left trigger: grenade
Left back upper paddle: jump
Left stick: sprint

Right bumper: reload
Right trigger: shoot
Right back upper paddle: thruster
Right stick: smart scope

A: crouch/slide
X: switch weapon
B: Scoreboard
Y: toggle grenade

i've thought of various different combos already, i wont truly know what works until i have the game/controller and try out the combos.

No I meant ground pound in the beta didn't work with a standard controller, especially with crouch mapped to a face button.

With the elite controller, anything goes! I like your configuration, but I need to hold the elite before I could commit to putting jump on a paddle...

My config would look something like this

Left Trigger: Zoom
Left Bumper: Jump
Left Stick: Crouch
Left Paddle: Sprint

Right Trigger: Shoot
Right Bumper: Grenade
Right Stick: Melee
Right Paddle: Thruster

A: Switch Grenades
X: Reload
Y Switch Weapons
B: It's too far away so don't care

All the buttons are mappable even on a normal controller, right? I'll have one button missing if that's the case. Main thing for me is to get Sprint off of the stick; crouch has to be there in Halo.

Probably have to deal with Zoom on the other stick or something. Never liked how it threw off my aim but I dunno which is ultimately better for Halo yet.

SwolBro

Banned
No I meant ground pound in the beta didn't work with a standard controller, especially with crouch mapped to a face button.

With the elite controller, anything goes! I like your configuration, but I need to hold the elite before I could commit to putting jump on a paddle...

Halo 5 has to be played with some type of custom controller. I even went so far as to not play any games for 3 months to try and reboot my muscle memory.

I've had a custom controller for a while now but the elite looks like it blows that out of the water. The only thing you may not like is how the paddles sit in your hands, with your fingers, but fear not Scuff is going to be providing third party accessories for it with different paddle shapes and sizes!

All the buttons are mappable even on a normal controller, right? I'll have one button missing if that's the case. Probably have to deal with Zoom on the stick or something. Never liked how it threw off my aim.

Yeah it will be . I also don't like how it throws my aim off but left trigger to aim will also throw you off because unlike COD type games in Halo you move forward a lot zoomed in.

ryan299

I have to play 5 with 'COD' controls. During the beta I didn't find right stick smart scope good. Just much easier to use the trigger for ADS.

I want to use the new button mapping feature to swap right stick and B. Really like melee on B

Yeah it will be . I also don't like how it throws my aim off but left trigger to aim will also throw you off because unlike COD type games you move forward a lot zoomed in, in Halo.

Good point. It'll be one of the things i juggle around to test.

I wish there was a version of the Elite with symmetrical sticks. The 360 pad felt great, but everything feels so far away on the Xbox One controller. Couldn't really get a feel for the Beta with it, especially with that vibration on.

Top Bottom