• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

SwolBro

Banned
When will people wake up to the real catastrophe?!! No dark green in armor choices!!!!

DVryvZf.jpg

they're still going with these boring and dated color shaders? holy crap, why?

what's up with Halo and having the worst character avatars.

I think the colors will look a lot better in the actual game than they do on the Halo Waypoint armor previewer. Destiny's website has the same sort of character preview system and while something may look bad on the site, in-game it actually looks fine.

what's up with 343Halo and having the worst character avatars.

FTFY.

Halo 4 and 5's Spartans have the ugliest designs and that palette is grossly childish.

I'm just going to rock default and try to forget about how I look.

Dingles

Guessing Fall of Reach isn't available till launch? quick Google points to that. Wouldn't mind watching it prior if I could.

Sai

what's up with Halo and having the worst character avatars.
Still waiting to hear your solution to potential visibility issues. Even that "boring and dated" blue had competitive players riled up in the beta.

Glass

I don't multi task a whole lot on the xbone, could you theoretically install Halo 5 whilst watching Fall of Reach on Waypoint?

Sai

I don't multi task a whole lot on the xbone, could you theoretically install Halo 5 whilst watching Fall of Reach on Waypoint?
Yessir.

Which reminds me: Did Frankie ever get back to us on Fall of Reach being made available to those who preordered digitally shortly before Halo 5 unlocks?

Flipyap

FTFY.

Halo 4 and 5's Spartans have the ugliest designs and that palette is grossly childish.

I'm just going to rock default and try to forget about how I look.
What is a childish palette? Toylike? That doesn't sound like a bad thing. Halo 3's MP characters looked like action figures and it was kind of awesome.

I don't like those muted colors, but it's not like it matters when you'll almost exclusively be seen wearing red or blue.

Going through the armor options on Waypoint and so many of them are just plain ugly or overdesigned with unnecessary lines everywhere, also the brown visor is so laughably dumb looking that I might wear it for laughs. On a good note they have a helmet that looks almost exactly like Monsoon from Metal Gear Rising.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Yessir.

Which reminds me: Did Frankie ever get back to us on Fall of Reach being made available to those who preordered digitally shortly before Halo 5 unlocks?

I haven't seen anything. He was looking into it to see if it was possible, but he wasn't sure. FRANKIE!? What say yee.

What is a childish palette? Toylike? That doesn't sound like a bad thing. Halo 3's MP characters looked like action figures and it was kind of awesome.

I don't like those muted colors, but it's not like it matters when you'll almost exclusively be seen wearing red or blue.

plastic looking spartans with pastel colored armor.

SwolBro

Banned
Still waiting to hear your solution to potential visibility issues. Even that "boring and dated" blue had competitive players riled up in the beta.

Dude, i really don't give a shit. I consider myself a "competitive" player in the sense that i spend countless hours each generation on only a few games in order to master them but i'm already passed that MLG pro age so i don't care all that much about it.

Again, the visibility issues can be mitigated in other ways. It's a silly fucking excuse, really because for the pro circuit they can offer red vs blue in the most visible bland looking way possible in the options menu.

Let the rest of us not deal with looking like we're from 2003.

plastic looking spartans with pastel colored armor.

This. It's crazy more people aren't bothered and vocal about it considering this generation is obsessed with looking "cool" with different armor customization, weapon skins, etc. People pay top dollar for some ridiculous weapon skin which is overboard but fuck i'd be happy paying for it at this point.

Dude, i really don't give a shit. I consider myself a "competitive" player in the sense that i spend countless hours each generation on only a few games in order to master them but i'm already passed that MLG pro age so i don't care all that much about it.

Again, the visibility issues can be mitigated in other ways. It's a silly fucking excuse, really because for the pro circuit they can offer red vs blue in the most visible bland looking way possible in the options menu.

Let the rest of us not deal with looking like we're from 2003.

This. It's crazy more people aren't bothered and vocal about it considering this generation is obsessed with looking "cool" with different armor customization, weapon skins, etc. People pay top dollar for some ridiculous weapon skin which is overboard but fuck i'd be happy paying for it at this point.

Halo5Guardbeta01.jpg

This looks pretty good to me. It's all personal preference at the end of the day, and I think they struck a solid balance. It's way better than the pink and baby blue Halo 4 used for the red/blue team, at least in my opinion.

Going through the armor options on Waypoint and so many of them are just plain ugly or overdesigned with unnecessary lines everywhere, also the brown visor is so laughably dumb looking that I might wear it for laughs. On a good note they have a helmet that looks almost exactly like Monsoon from Metal Gear Rising.

Best armor right here:

I just wish any REQ pack I got I could check a box to only have the option of receiving stances and assassinations because I do not care about the warzone stuff.

SwolBro

Banned
Halo5Guardbeta01.jpg

This looks pretty good to me. It's all personal preference at the end of the day, and I think they struck a solid balance. It's way better than the pink and baby blue Halo 4 used for the red/blue team, at least in my opinion.

it's no where close to where it could be. it's a horrible color, actually. i get the nostalgia for Red vs Blue but i'm tired of it. sorry.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
it's no where close to where it could be. it's a horrible color, actually. i get the nostalgia for Red vs Blue but i'm tired of it. sorry.

don't worry you are not alone. the colours are a bad choice for me too. that's why I chose dark grey with dark grey as colour.

Jumping in with a dumb question. I've played all the games but remember pretty much nothing of the story other than the largest of beats, and I've never gone into anything beyond the games (and Forward Unto Dawn). Looking to dive in a bit more before 5.

If I were to read through one Halo book before then, what would be the best? Whether it's one that specifically fills in stuff for 5, one that's just a good book, etc.

It looks great in game and is clear and visible while playing. The drama regarding the colors is unwarranted imo. I didn't like Halo 4's colors, but it doesn't look like that at all.

SwolBro

Banned
don't worry you are not alone. the colours are a bad choice for me too. that's why I chose dark grey with dark grey as colour.

Yeah, but it will never be in the actual game. Only in free for all.

It's crazy because when i first saw the clips of Halo 5 with Lock and that very "Tron" inspired design i thought for sure that's what we would be getting for MP.

Different sets of colors for each map and then a red or blue omitting light like the Tron outfits.

Nope, we get this same tired bullshit.

solis74

We are going to stream the first few missions & mission 8 tomorrow at 6pm CET along with AC: Syndicate, if anyone's interested and doesn't mind listening to german ;) www.twitch.tv/hookedlive

Only talking about those missions here: The sandboxes are so much bigger than in previous Halo games, you really notice they are built with 4 players in mind. There are always quite a few routes available to you, along with secret routes hidden behind destructible walls along with powerful weapons. I played through these missions a few times now and I still find new pathways and tactical opportunities.

AWESOME!

It looks great in game and is clear and visible while playing. The drama regarding the colors is unwarranted imo. I didn't like Halo 4's colors, but it doesn't look like that at all.

Agreed. At the end of the day, I'm playing Halo 5 for the campaign and for the competitive Arena multiplayer, so as long as the colors stand out and I know my teammates from my enemies, I'm happy.

when i download torrents that are this size it usually takes about 3-4 hours so lets see if that matches up lol

The game is 46.1 GB, and then on Thursday you will be able to download the 9 GB day 1 patch in advance of release. It took me quite a few hours, as my download speeds were fluctuating the day I preloaded it.

Jumping in with a dumb question. I've played all the games but remember pretty much nothing of the story other than the largest of beats, and I've never gone into anything beyond the games (and Forward Unto Dawn). Looking to dive in a bit more before 5.

If I were to read through one Halo book before then, what would be the best? Whether it's one that specifically fills in stuff for 5, one that's just a good book, etc.

I'd recommend watching this video for a quick summary of Halo's story up to Halo 5.

As for one book, I'd recommend the fall of Reach. It'll give you a nice backstory of blue team (Masterr Chief's team in Halo 5) and the start of the spartan program in general.

Archpath1

Regarding colors i find it funny when those other colors only work in FFA or customs

Even with RvB then could of given us rocket league style shades and tints of RvB would of been nice touch

Regarding colors i find it funny when those other colors only work in FFA or customs

Even with RvB then could of given us rocket league style shades and tints of RvB would of been nice touch

yea, customization in Reach at least had different attachments and stuff. we're back to just armor with a color we see 10% of the time. Tints would have been a nice change of pace.

am just gonna rock default chief like i did in Halo 4 and MCC.

I continue to despise 343i's srmor designs. So busy, so bulky.

this is what i despise. this shit right here.

5733ce4df8800240c12793d966e9857c.png

colored fingers, honeycomb undersuit, and that awkward connection from the chest into the codpiece. there's way too much color and detail on the suits in superfluos areas and not enough black contrast. we're not the green goblin; stop.

Spasm

Just got my LCE, and God damn, even Microsoft's flagship digital title has abandoned Kinect. I thought I was just going to be able to scan my code in... Nope. No QR code, even though it looks like there's space under the scratch-off for it.

Leyasu

Banned
Halo5Guardbeta01.jpg

Man them pastel colours ruined the spartans in 4. The halo 5 spartans look great imo

Just got my LCE, and God damn, even Microsoft's flagship digital title has abandoned Kinect. I thought I was just going to be able to scan my code in... Nope. No QR code, even though it looks like there's space under the scratch-off for it.

The LE for MGSV of all games was the ONLY game I've gotten that lets me scan the code.

I was so looking forward to that 'being a thing' this generation too!

Isocr4cy

So I was just checking out Reddit and apparently someone called Xbox support and was told that retailers will be sending out pre-load codes for physical editions sometime this week... Never really heard of this happening before, Stinkles do you have any insight about this?

RAIDEN1

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the animated series included in the Halo bundle is only viewable when the game is "unlocked" on the 27th, or can you view the animated story ahead of the game's release?

Spasm

The LE for MGSV of all games was the ONLY game I've gotten that lets me scan the code.

I was so looking forward to that 'being a thing' this generation too!

Me too. Shame. Retail packages with digital codes instead of discs... Scan it in on your smartphone while still at the store, or in home in front of Kinect... Woulda been so cool.

Flipyap

this is what i despise. this shit right here.

5733ce4df8800240c12793d966e9857c.png

colored fingers, honeycomb undersuit, and that awkward connection from the chest into the codpiece. there's way too much color and detail on the suits in superfluos areas and not enough black contrast. we're not the green goblin; stop.
The shoulder hole is even worse if you choose a female spartan. Because nothing says "power armor" like two sideboob windows.

Top Bottom