• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Apparently release dates mean nothing to some people.

Well it's not like release dates are some sacred gamer tradition. It's the day the game is available to be bought and played. If you walk in to your mom and pop store in Texas and ask if the have the strategy guide or art book yet and they say, "I've got the game right here," are you supposed to take some moral high ground and say no?

I don't think the MP bitching is valid, nor would I think it would be ok to come in here and post spoilers or put them on youtube. You can't fault someone though for legitimately buying a copy early. Microsoft should have a beef with the stores that do, but they'll never mess with the possibility that retailers stop carrying it.

Ryde3

Not sure why people are getting at everyone with an early copy.

With past releases the servers were up and accessible for people who got their hands on an early released copy, and we expected it to be the case here - and of course we want to play online right now, don't you? Lighten up people.

Gestault

Bit annoyed at the size of the patch though. On my connection it'll take an age.

I hate that I can't uninstall a game without losing the patches. Like, I would uninstall the MCC collection, but I know when I want to go back to it, it's the huge network install instead of just the disc data. Same with other collections like Rare replay.

The big patches are annoying when it's the difference between being able to play a game after work and the next day.

With past releases the servers were up and accessible for people who got their hands on an early released copy, and we expected it to be the case here - and of course we want to play online right now, don't you? Lighten up people.

Well maybe 343i wants things to be more controlled? Who really knows, and who are we to make assertions about their plan? Release date is the release date. Most games these days require day one patches anyway. So who cares how things were done in the past? The people who need to lighten up are the ones who expect to get special treatment from 343 for buying from a retailer that broke the street date. If you bought the game early, you damn well know you're not really supposed to have it yet. So enjoy the campaign, and wait for online like the rest of us.

So salty, why would you not buy it if it's out early?

Like you'd turn down buying it early because of some stupid principles about release dates.

Did you read the last page or so?

I think the post you are quoting and saying "lol salty" is basically calling out those getting upset that they can't play multiplayer before the street date.

Hmm, already half the game in just four hours on heroic though? Sounds like Heroic is too easy. I may wanna start on legendary. I always usually start on Heroic before doing a legendary playthrough though.

The missions aren't anywhere near the same length. I think it'll be ten hours, with about 15% of the intel, and I've still only found one skull. Not to mention there's been a few times where I still had some fighting I could've been doing but I progressed anyway.

I think it is a little easier from the standpoint that it's so open and it doesn't have level after level of being pinned in a hallway and dying repeatedly. I haven't had to spent time scrounging for ammo and backtracking. Also the teammate revive saves you from replaying stuff you shouldn't need too. They get blasted pretty fast, so it's not like they are improbably reviving you. Theres a lot of times they can't too. This is the most fun.....do we remember what that means... playing on heroic that I've ever had. It's not a 10 hour grindfest. It's fun.

Gestault

Watching twitch these last few days and I fail to understand why people donate to these streamers? What's the deal with that?

There's a lot of range in production quality and personality.

If someone shows you what you want to see and has a personality you appreciate, paying for that encourages more of what you want.

Watching twitch these last few days and I fail to understand why people donate to these streamers? What's the deal with that?

if you like the streamer, paying helps support them to continue streaming. bills, better equipment, etc.

some streamers teach or play with viewers too and get donations for doing so.

Kibbles

343 should give Walshy an early copy. I found his beta streams really nice, he got in depth with talking about the maps and gave helpful tips and stuff.

shinnn

Just got the game. Installing....

I had to go offline to see the option to install disc (NXOE preview user). Is this normal?

Eric WK

Do you consume all of your entertainment for free? I mean, I don't donate or sub personally, but I think it's pretty clear why people do.

Kibbles

I had to go offline to see the option to install disc (NXOE preview user). Is this normal?

Hm that's weird. I have the NXOE and I could install it while online. Game doesn't work at all online though you have to make sure you are signed off XBL to even play Campaign.

Wide gulf between wanting and expecting

I want to play the digital version of this game tonight.

Don't mean i'm expecting it
ayy lmao

shinnn

Hm that's weird. I have the NXOE and I could install it while online. Game doesn't work at all online though you have to make sure you are signed off XBL to even play Campaign.

Must be an NXOE bug then. Sometimes my other disc games doesn't launch when I use the home tile button.

Bsigg12

Must be an NXOE bug then. Sometimes my other disc games doesn't launch when I use the home tile button.

From the Known Issue list

Disc Installations:
Certain games may fail to install from a disc if auto launch is disabled.

Workaround: Enable auto launch in Settings.

If installing a disc based game while no one is signed in on the console, launching the game will cause the game to start, but crash to a black screen shortly after.

USF

Turns out I had to go offline in order to proceed with the game menu or else I'd get "missing DLC" error.
So I guess it's safe to start the campaign before release :)

Bread

Banned
Hey Frankie if you want to show your love and support for nflgaf you could give me access to Halo 5 since I just preloaded it and then I could play it and show them how cool it is wouldn't that be something? Just a cool idea I know tell me what you think.

So salty, why would you not buy it if it's out early?

Like you'd turn down buying it early because of some stupid principles about release dates.
I'd absolutely buy it but I wouldn't bitch on a forum about it not allowing me to play the multiplayer before launch if if it wouldn't let me.

been playing Halo 4 legendary before Halo 5 and i've forgotten how bullshit Halo's AI can be. So many dumb homing or OHK weapons that you have to anticipate through trial and error, and if you die from a random Needler you're set back 5 minutes prior to where you just where.

I'm all for challenge but I'm glad this antiquated checkpoint system is gone.

been playing Halo 4 legendary before Halo 5 and i've forgotten how bullshit Halo's AI can be. So many dumb homing or OHK weapons that you have to anticipate through trial and error, and if you die from a random Needler you're set back 5 minutes prior to where you just where.

I'm all for challenge but I'm glad this antiquated checkpoint system is gone.

Isn't Halo 4 legendary widely considered to be the easiest with H2 being the hardest? I agree there's some bullshit, but I think Halo 4 you just have to be particularly slow and patient at parts and pick enemies off.

Ryde3

Because the game hasn't released yet and we planned to get everything up and running for release day? It's not a switch. It's a bunch of people, process and hardware.

So it won't be available until Tuesday Midnight? Or is there a chance it may be unlocked a bit earlier?

Eric WK

I'm guessing the whitelist will go away when the first region (NZ?) hits midnight. Otherwise there's probably a separate whitelist for every time zone, which seems unlikely.

I'm guessing the whitelist will go away when the first region (NZ?) hits midnight. Otherwise there's probably a separate whitelist for every time zone, which seems unlikely.

Yeah, probably a little bit before then, just to be safe. Would be shitstorm if somehow the whitelist couldn't be deactivated.

I'm guessing late Sunday. Whenever the dedicated press play times are over probably.

Isn't Halo 4 legendary widely considered to be the easiest with H2 being the hardest? I agree there's some bullshit, but I think Halo 4 you just have to be particularly slow and patient at parts and pick enemies off.

I don't think it's difficult, just don't find the encounters fun with all of the peaking and bullet sponging, and then one auto aimed bullet resets you back to a checkpoint. Halo 2 was indeed way worse for that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My halo 5 is preloaded at 46.2 gig. Am I missing the mp update? Anyway to force it? Yes, I'm on instant on.

DrBo42

About 4 missions in, campaign is okay so far. Vehicle sections make this feel like imitation Halo at this point. Warthog looks, feels, and sounds wrong, with the feel being the most apparent and lacking thing. Squad AI makes those sections really painful as you're constantly driving over them in tight spots or sections you need to spin the vehicle around to re-engage.

I'm not sure what it is but I can't get the game to control like I want sensitivity-wise. Maybe it's the new inclusion of an ADS-like experience but ends up feeling really odd. I say that coming from hours upon hours of Destiny on XB1. The shooting experience here just doesn't feel as tight.

Eric WK

My halo 5 is preloaded at 46.2 gig. Am I missing the mp update? Anyway to force it? Yes, I'm on instant on.

Did you try a hard reset yet? I unplugged for 30 seconds, didn't update immediately but after leaving home for a few hours and coming back it jumped up to 55.x or whatever it's supposed to be.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Did you try a hard reset yet? I unplugged for 30 seconds, didn't update immediately but after leaving home for a few hours and coming back it jumped up to 55.x or whatever it's supposed to be.
I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't work I still have time to delete and redownload. Thanks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well it's not like release dates are some sacred gamer tradition. It's the day the game is available to be bought and played. If you walk in to your mom and pop store in Texas and ask if the have the strategy guide or art book yet and they say, "I've got the game right here," are you supposed to take some moral high ground and say no?

I don't think the MP bitching is valid, nor would I think it would be ok to come in here and post spoilers or put them on youtube. You can't fault someone though for legitimately buying a copy early. Microsoft should have a beef with the stores that do, but they'll never mess with the possibility that retailers stop carrying it.

Nobody (including me) is mad at people for getting the game early, merely befuddled at the (in some rare cases) indignant expectation that all the day one features should be available on day negative five...

Top Bottom