• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
People complaining are cracking me up. Do you also cry about not being able to go to a concert early when you bought tickets? Do you get assed up when you get movie tickets, but can't get in early when others are watching?

The shit some people complain about. If you're that pissed take the damned thing back and pick it up when th game launches.

TEH-CJ

Banned
What did you hate about 4?

It lacked all the magic that made Halo so great, Boring encounters, I hated the bullet sponge prometheans enemies and they were not fun to fight at all. The whole ship sequence was dreadful, The AI was not up to par and It lacked the epic battles that halo is known for. I didn't bother with MP as I play Halo for the campaign only.

Its not dumb. I expect every piece of a game playable even when i get it early. I dont see why its dumb.
The MCC Multiplayer didnt work because the game at its core was broken. It had nothing to do with the population.

I bought it early too, only I bought it digitally so I don't even need a disc to play it. So why can't I play it? *Rolls on the floor like a 5 year old and starts a multiple page temper tantrum over why I should be able to play my game the second the transaction clears*.

You're lucky as shit you get to play the campaign early, honestly I don't think you deserve to.

jesu

Can anyone tell me if its worth buying xbone for Halo 5? II am A huge Halo fan but hated 4. From people I know who have completed Halo 5 they all seem to think It's disappointing. Destiny is just boring as hell for me now and need my sci Fi fps fix.

I guess I could just buy the MCC collection and fall back onto that.

If people are already telling you Halo 5 is disappointing why are you asking us if it's disappointing?

No nothing major. But I like to complain ;-)

Lol good. I'm just making sure I haven't spoiled anything for anyone.

As far as the comparison to Halo 4 goes. I think the story telling is similar, which I didn't have a problem with, but the gameplay is nothing alike. The graphics were good but the environments were barren. They weren't immersive at all. The gameplay was a little janky and the missions were a grind. The Spartan abilities were odd and served no gameplay purpose.

I think the storytelling pacing is the only similarity. Other than that Halo 5 is in a league of its own. I've been playing almost nonstop since 5 am and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

If we are talking about value for your $60, you will not be able to beat this (assuming MP is running smoothly).

jesu

Its not dumb. I expect every piece of a game playable even when i get it early. I dont see why its dumb. I mean its just a 3-4 days early. If i would have the game for 2 weeks already, i can understand not being able to play Online.
The MCC Multiplayer didnt work because the game at its core was broken. It had nothing to do with the population.

Well for some reason they are just making it work for journalists just now.
Then they will ramp up the servers for release date.
Problem?

JTripper

Any word on how difficult legendary mode is with a full party of 4 people? Cause Halo 3 was really easy with a full party. Still, it was extremely fun.

Hawk269

Even though my copy shipped yesterday, I just realised Royal Mail first class doesn't deliver on Saturdays, which means I won't receive it till Monday anyway. Fudge!!

Edit: Turns out they do deliver on Saturdays!! At least for first class and special delivery anyway. There is hope after all!

If you do get it, please post impressions (without spoilers of course). Would love to hear your opinion on the game, especially the visuals side of things.

Invert

Neo Member
And i already said, i would be fine if i cant play PvP. But at least Online Coop would be something i want to play. Me and my friends planned to play online coop on legendary.

So ultimately you're upset because you set up a date to play co-op Before the launch (on Saturday) and can't do it Because the game hasn't launched yet?

If you do get it, please post impressions (without spoilers of course). Would love to hear your opinion on the game, especially the visuals side of things.

I posted some impressions a page or two back. The game looks great, which has been said by most journalists and I agree. But if you are going into this looking at graphics, then don't get it. You'll be dissapointed.

mcfrank

First mission down after the 90 minute install. If you like Halo 4 you will probably like it, but if like me you thought Halo 4 was crap... bad news. I'll give it more time obviously, but I am just not convinced 343 understands what made Halo great. Shooting robot dogs is not fun.

Looks decent so far, but not amazing.

Ocho

Lol at the guy who drove 250km for an unreleased game and complains it doesn't work. Wow. Why haven't I been following this thread?

So ultimately you're upset because you set up a date to play co-op Before the launch (on Saturday) and can't do it Because the game hasn't launched yet?

Ugh this again...

Yes it hasnt launched, but people are getting their copys already. Whats so bad to expect SOME MP stuff already working? Like i said i can fully understand if they have to tweak, reset etc the PvP stuff.

But Online Coop shouldnt be a issue for the 343 folks. Like i said im fine with no PvP stuff before launch. Ranks etc will get a Reset i think?

I mean i cant even stay online to at least talk to my friends in a Party. Or is there a workaround for that?

Like I said, that is dumb.

Why? To me it isnt. Not my fault if retailers in America are so strict in terms of Street Dates.
Here in germany its normal to get games early.

Ugh this again...

Yes it hasnt launched, but people are getting their copys already. Whats so bad to expect SOME MP stuff already working? Like i said i can fully understand if they have to tweak, reset etc the PvP stuff.

But Online Coop shouldnt be a issue for the 343 folks. Like i said im fine with no PvP stuff before launch. Ranks etc will get a Reset i think?

I mean i cant even stay online to at least talk to my friends in a Party. Or is there a workaround for that?
Servers are entirely on their end. If they aren't ready, they aren't ready.

Random17

Ugh this again...

Of course there's nothing bad about expecting some stuff to work before release, but you have been told time and time and time again to stop posting about this issue because:

A. Prerelease, 343i owes you little
B. It has been satisfactorily explained by Frankie why this isn't the case
C. Almost everyone else in this thread disagrees with you

There's a time to let go about this issue, and the time is now.

Invert

Neo Member
Ugh this again...

If you have a pc you can use the xbox app to chat on win10. Skype. Cellphone, ect.

But ultimately it looks like you assumed that you would get to play early with your friends. and you can't. That's your fault for assuming that, nobody else's. It didn't work out, accept it and move on.

If you have a pc you can use the xbox app to chat on win10. Skype. Cellphone, ect.

But ultimately it looks like you assumed that you would get to play early with your friends. and you can't. That's your fault for assuming that, nobody else's. It didn't work out, accept it and move on.

No game before did this early access stuff. So i assumed it would be the same case with H5.

Ive got Halo 4, 5 days or so early and we played just fine online. I remember that there was some kind of list stuff back then too. But not that restrictive like now.

JumPeRJumPzZ has been a career on dumb Halo 5 posts this year...but this latest string might just be his masterpiece.

Why? Why is it dumb? Still havent seen a respectful post besides throwing insults at me.

But i will just give up. Just sad that people can only throw insults at someone.

Isocr4cy

Why? To me it isnt. Not my fault if retailers in America are so strict in terms of Street Dates.
Here in germany its normal to get games early.

So if you managed to find a boxed copy of the next WoW expansion before it came out would you expect Blizzard to roll out the expansion patch for you, solely?

Honestly your problems have nothing to do with 343. If the store didn't sell you the game before the servers were ready to be rolled out, you wouldn't be having this issue.

More than likely the press are playing on 'press only' servers that have a limited capacity, just like what happened with Super Mario Maker.

Ive got Halo 4, 5 days or so early and we played just fine online. I remember that there was some kind of list stuff back then too. But not that restrictive like now.

Halo 4 didn't use dedicated servers.

mcfrank

You have a whole thread of people, including others who have the game early, telling you that your opinion is wrong. Think about that.

You have a whole thread of people, including others who have the game early, telling you that your opinion is wrong. Think about that.

A opinion cant be wrong :) And i dont have to think about that. Like i said not my fault if its okey for others that some stuff doesnt work.

But can we move on now? Its okey if some of you disagree. I have my opinion and you have yours.

nath999

It lacked all the magic that made Halo so great, Boring encounters, I hated the bullet sponge prometheans enemies and they were not fun to fight at all. The whole ship sequence was dreadful, The AI was not up to par and It lacked the epic battles that halo is known for. I didn't bother with MP as I play Halo for the campaign only.

Then I think you'll like Halo 5.

There is a ton of open areas that lead to large scale multi-plane firefights and plenty of really fun vehicular combat in midst of the big firefights. To be honest this was my favorite part of the campaign, I truly thought the combat was really fun.

The environments are really vibrant and I found myself sometimes just looking around at the areas cause they looked so good.

Skulls and Intel are really well hidden which encourages exploration of the areas and there some cool bonus stuff to find.

No bullet sponges except for maybe some of the hunters with their shields but I didn't really find it annoying or anything like that. All the Prometheans have a weak spot that makes taking them down pretty easy.

All that being said I didn't really enjoy the story as much as I have for the previous games. While I didn't have an issue with Fire team Osiris, I just felt it was off that they would introduce Blue team (4 spartan II's who grew up together) and you barely hear them say anything.

The Campaign is designed to be played Co-op and I think it would be much more enjoyable with real teammates rather than not so good AI.

cool_dude

Banned
Game hasn't launched yet, fool. Do you buy an airplane ticket and show up to the airport 5 days early to fly because the plane is at the gate? Just frickin wait until the scheduled time!

Random17

The enemy density is very high in Halo 5, especially on higher difficulties. That alone puts above Halo 4 in terms of big encounters.

So I just ran up on some grunts and jackals and I'm pretty sure one of them was goat screaming. Hilarious. Also, sit at the title screen for some laughs.

Ramirez

lol, I'd be salty as fuck if I had it and couldn't play MP, but I understand the game isn't out, sucks, but it's 343s call at the end of the day.

TEH-CJ

Banned

There is a ton of open areas that lead to large scale multi-plane firefights and plenty of really fun vehicular combat in midst of the big firefights. To be honest this was my favorite part of the campaign, I truly thought the combat was really fun.

The environments are really vibrant and I found myself sometimes just looking around at the areas cause they looked so good.

Skulls and Intel are really well hidden which encourages exploration of the areas and there some cool bonus stuff to find.

No bullet sponges except for maybe some of the hunters with their shields but I didn't really find it annoying or anything like that. All the Prometheans have a weak spot that makes taking them down pretty easy.

All that being said I didn't really enjoy the story as much as I have for the previous games. While I didn't have an issue with Fire team Osiris, I just felt it was off that they would introduce Blue team (4 spartan II's who grew up together) and you barely hear them say anything.

The Campaign is designed to be played Co-op and I think it would be much more enjoyable with real teammates rather than not so good AI.

Excellent! Thanks for the impressions man.

This echoes my thoughts as well

Gameplay is great, story is disappointing

Top Bottom