• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

rjcc

Its not dumb. I expect every piece of a game playable even when i get it early

They told you what day it launches. As long as it works that day, they have fulfilled the advertised promise. Whether or not you got it early is immaterial, you wren't supposed to, and you know that.

You probably show up at restaurants before they open and seat yourself, then complain about the service.

I literally care zero about what anything anyone at 343i says to the community in these blog posts after MCC.

3sna5b.jpg

Purexed

Banned
Even better, it appears some online drm check is preventing me from getting past the menu screen.

Such horseshit, I got a legit physical copy I can't even play right now. I hate this generation of gaming so much, remember when you could put a disc in and be playing within minutes? I miss those days.

Even better, it appears some online drm check is preventing me from getting past the menu screen.

Such horseshit, I got a legit physical copy I can't even play right now. I hate this generation of gaming so much, remember when you could put a disc in and be playing within minutes? I miss those days.

Go offline.

Paging Jumperz...

I literally care zero about what anything anyone at 343i says to the community in these blog posts after MCC.

Actions speak louder than words, i agree. They've come a long way and they've done a good job working with the community to continue moving forward; nevertheless, they still have to prove that they can lead this franchise to success.

Timu

I was watching Galm play and he's really good, getting between 20-40 kills and dying less than 10 times a match. Can't wait to try this.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just saying. GAF seems to always want to hold developers responsible for their actions, or lack thereof, not sure why 343i should get a pass for the MCC considering its state still a year later.

lol I think everyone is tired of discussing this. Stop beating the dead horse over and over again.

343 failed to execute MCC because they tried to do too much in short period of time and contracting out most of the work. Running all different engines, online it was just a mess all around. Still the best collection ever made.

Halo 5 had beta a year ago, has been playable in every event this year, all the fans have tried it, media has been playing it since last week. I dont even know what to tell you. If you dont trust 343 thats fine, just move on. But just stop comparing it to MCC, its day and night different game.

ElRenoRaven

Just saying. GAF seems to always want to hold developers responsible for their actions, or lack thereof, not sure why 343i should get a pass for the MCC considering its state still a year later.

They don't but a Halo 5 thread is not the place to shit on them for MCC. A MCC thread is the proper place. You can give them shit for one fuck up and still acknowledge that they've done a good job on something else.

Mods wouldn't have to threaten to ban people to keep every non-MCC thread from derailing if folks were giving passes to 343.

Actions speak louder than words, i agree. They've come a long way and they've done a good job working with the community to continue moving forward; nevertheless, they still have to prove that they can lead this franchise to success.

Thank you for a non-dismissive response.

They lost a lot of my trust this past year. I actually really liked Halo 4 and thought the mechanics of it were the best of the series (movement, aiming, gunplay, not the AAs) They showed they could make a very good Halo game.

I'm downloading Halo 5 as I type and I'm excited for it, but that doesn't mean I can't still be mad about MCC because I still play the game multiple times a week where I still see the gaps, the bugs, and the glitches... A whole year later.

So yeah, again. Don't tell me 343i...show me.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Thank you for a non-dismissive response.

They lost a lot of my trust this past year. I actually really liked Halo 4 and thought the mechanics of it were the best of the series (movement, aiming, gunplay, not the AAs) They showed they could make a very good Halo game.

I'm downloading Halo 5 as I type and I'm excited for it, but that doesn't mean I can't still be mad about MCC because I still play the game multiple times a week where I still see the gaps, the bugs, and the glitches... A whole year later.

So yeah, again. Don't tell me 343i...show me.

343i didnt even really make it though, MS just made them try to frankenstein all the pieces together. There is literally no reason to put the faults on MCC to Halo 5 as a product.

mcfrank

they weren't directly responsible for MCC though. come on.

What? Their logo plays at the beginning of the game. If I hire a construction company to build me a house and the plumber they sub out screws it up, the construction company is responsible. Don't let them off the hook with that horseshit.

343i didnt even really make it though, MS just made them try to frankenstein all the pieces together. There is literally no reason to put the faults on MCC to Halo 5 as a product.

they weren't directly responsible for MCC though. come on.

The appointed and self-proclaimed stewards of the Halo franchise whose sole purpose in their creation was to take care of Halo weren't responsible for MCC? I know they outsourced a bunch of it, doesn't mean you can't hold them responsible. That's like saying you can't get mad at a manager if their underlings fuck anything up.

I've derailed this thread too much already.

Halo 5 comes out next Tuesday. Hurray.

Lingitiz

The appointed and self-proclaimed stewards of the Halo franchise whose sole purpose in their creation was to take care of Halo weren't responsible for MCC? I know they outsourced a bunch of it, doesn't mean you can't hold them responsible. That's like saying you can't get mad at a manager if their underlings fuck anything up.

I've derailed this thread too much already.

Halo 5 comes out next Tuesday. Hurray.

Yeah I agree they should be held responsible, but not all of their sins should be transferred to the next full game. It's a shitshow forsure and they've taken the heat for it. It doesn't do anyone good when everyone comes into a Halo thread yelling HAHA FUCK THOSE GUYS THEY DID TMCC.

Better to be mindful, but move on.

Ah okay I thought it was just happening for me. I'm reinstalling the game offline then downloading the patch after. I accidentally deleted my save data too so I have to start over.

nib95

Banned
More early impressions:

The difference in quality between levels where you primarily fight covenant and levels where you primarily fight Promethens is staggering. The Prometheans are simply not enjoyable to fight. There is almost no paper rock scissors balance to the fights with them which removes all of the fun from the firefights. Movement feels great in this game - 343 really nailed it - but some of the gun battles are a slog.

Some people say the same thing for the prometheans in Halo 4, but I didn't mind them. What is it about fighting the prometheans that you dislike?

Lingitiz

Some people say the same thing for the prometheans in Halo 4, but I didn't mind them. What is it about fighting the prometheans that you dislike?

I still found Prometheans in 4 more fun to fight than the Flood or the Brutes in 2 so it's not like past enemies outside of the Covenant were all perfection.

nib95

Banned
I still found Prometheans in 4 more fun to fight than the Flood or the Brutes in 2 so it's not like past enemies outside of the Covenant were all perfection.

Honestly, I found them all pretty fun in their own right. Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but I think the prometheans tended to have a bit more mobility to them, plus as shallow as it sounds, I love their death animations. Or at least the bit where they sort of disintegrate in a cool looking collection of pyrotechnics.

Side note, I don't agree with jumpers or whatever his name is, as I stated earlier it's silly for people to demand multiplayer work before release date, especially when the campaign is still playable, along with the patch too. But I don't think people ought to flat out directly insult him personally. His opinions, sure, but him directly? There's a way to be tactful about these things....

level1

More early impressions:

The difference in quality between levels where you primarily fight covenant and levels where you primarily fight Promethens is staggering. The Prometheans are simply not enjoyable to fight. There is almost no paper rock scissors balance to the fights with them which removes all of the fun from the firefights. Movement feels great in this game - 343 really nailed it - but some of the gun battles are a slog.

That's strange, I feel exactly the opposite and always look forward to promethean levels more than covenant ones

Karak

Finished with the game and my review to post. Its interesting to see the C versus P discussion here as I felt myself coming down on one side or the other fairly hard as well in which army type was enjoyable to fight.

arhra

Wait, are the Promethean Knights still huge bullet sponges that hardly react to your shots?

They've been completely redesigned from their Halo 4 incarnation. RUL's legendary livestream shows them off quite nicely, if you want to see how they work (just make sure to stop the video when they've cleared the room if you're avoiding spoilers, as it goes straight into a cutscene afterwards; there's some dialogue during the fight that could be construed as spoilers... but it's stuff that's covered in the opening cutscene, so nothing major).

They look pretty interesting to fight to me. I'm more worried about Watchers showing up. The Knights were kinda tedious and uninteresting to fight in 4, but Watchers were just downright obnoxious (but then I've always hated flying enemies, those asshole covie bug things were always my least favourite enemies in the games they showed up in).

More early impressions:

Exactly what I didn't like in Halo 4, looks like it's duplicated in this one. Did you at least like battling them more then in Halo 4?

solis74

Even though my copy shipped yesterday, I just realised Royal Mail first class doesn't deliver on Saturdays, which means I won't receive it till Monday anyway. Fudge!!

Edit: Turns out they do deliver on Saturdays!! At least for first class and special delivery anyway. There is hope after all!

:)

Ein Bear

Really hoping my copy from Game comes today. It got shipped yesterday lunchtime.

These worldwide releases are cool, but it's a shame they always default to the standard US dates. Tuesday is such a weird day to release a game, here in the UK they normally come out on a Friday so you can play over the weekend.

I'm so so jealous of all of you who are going to be kicking back on a Saturday afternoon and blasting through the Halo 5 campaign.

Why did I go digital? Whyyyyyy? :(

Top Bottom