• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

I'm so so jealous of all of you who are going to be kicking back on a Saturday afternoon and blasting through the Halo 5 campaign.

Why did I go digital? Whyyyyyy? :(
Picked up my copy at Mom and pops store. Played through the campaign and put it up on Ebay now. I will make a loss with that, but hey, I did not get spoiled. :)

Akai__

The truth is a stubborn thing

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1103405&highlight=

Not banned, but sent to a corner

It's funny that you linked this (out of all people), because you think better players should be banned from matchmaking for being too good either way. It's ironic, because the majority of people disagreed with you in an identical thread.

It's also not like MS admitted that the system is flawed, so your shaming doesn't work here.

Picked up my copy at Mom and pops store. Played through the campaign and put it up on Ebay now. I will make a loss with that, but hey, I did not get spoiled. :)

Why did you put it on Ebay? o_O

Do you have multiple copies comming?

AAMARMO

Banned
WTF PEOPLE WHO HAVE HALO 5 CANT PLAY EARLY LIKE ME BECAUSE ITS NEED DLC DRM BULLSHIT.
ANY ONE HELP
zS9n4UT.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
Anyone on windows phone downloaded the new halo channel app?? I cant log in for some reason.. Anyone else have the same issue?

At this point they should just unlock digital titles so people can at least play Campaign, I mean you can't access the MP services unless you're whitelisted anyway. It would be nice, but they won't so I must suffer my digital fate!

level1

Out of curiosity, what is it about them that makes them more fun to fight against now?

Well, first off those asshole watchers seem to be gone (not certain about that, have not played through all campaign yet). But really, they seem to encourage a type of mobility that really goes well with the new features introduced (more so than the covenant anyway imo). Knights now have crit spots that provide very satisfying feedback when hit, are are not the same bullet sponges they once were if you know where to shoot them. Also, I personally find their death animation super satisfying.

Dynasty8

Out of curiosity, what is it about them that makes them more fun to fight against now?

The soldier class feels more like fighting an elite while the Knights feels more like hunters. The Spartan abilities like thrusting, charging, ground pounding allows for different play styles against them making it way more exciting IMO.

One thing I do just want to point out is that there is a slight learning curve at the beginning. Especially with this being the first Halo game being made in 60 FPS from the ground up and all the awesome Spartan abilities...it took me like 10-15 minutes of fighting to get the complete hang of it (I've beat every single Halo game on Legendary as well...so I'm definitely not new to the series)...but after that I was in FPS heaven. Game runs fantastic.

nib95

Banned
Well, first off those asshole watchers seem to be gone (not certain about that, have not played through all campaign yet). But really, they seem to encourage a type of mobility that really goes well with the new features introduced (more so than the covenant anyway imo). Knights now have crit spots that provide very satisfying feedback when hit, are are not the same bullet sponges they once were if you know where to shoot them. Also, I personally find their death animation super satisfying.

The soldier class feels more like fighting an elite while the Knights feels more like hunters. The Spartan abilities like thrusting, charging, ground pounding allows for different play styles against them making it way more exciting IMO.

One thing I do just want to point out is that there is a slight learning curve at the beginning. Especially with this being the first Halo game being made in 60 FPS from the ground up and all the awesome Spartan abilities...it took me like 10-15 minutes of fighting to get the complete hang of it (I've beat every single Halo game on Legendary as well...so I'm definitely not new to the series)...but after that I was in FPS heaven. Game runs fantastic.

Sounds fantastic. It makes sense regarding mobility, because I found them to move and dart around more than some of the other enemy types, and now that you're equipped with more mobility and control options yourself, things are going to be evened out a little.

What are the crit points on them by the way? Is it not just the head? Also, it'll be interesting if they have taken out the watchers altogether.

SterGaf

Sounds fantastic. It makes sense regarding mobility, because I found them to move and dart around more than some of the other enemy types, and now that you're equipped with more mobility and control options yourself, things are going to be evened out a little.

What are the crit points on them by the way? Is it not just the head? Also, it'll be interesting if they have taken out the watchers altogether.

There is one crit point on each of their shoulders and if you destroy them one third shows up on their back. They are really bright spots so you can't miss them. You can also headshot them until the helmet breaks so that's the fourth crit point, like in Halo 4.Watchers do return but probably in later missions. I saw them in a stream of the final mission.

nib95

Banned
There is one crit point on each of their shoulders and if you destroy them one third pops up on their back. Watchers do return but probably in later missions. I saw them in a stream of the final mission.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
WTF PEOPLE WHO HAVE HALO 5 CANT PLAY EARLY LIKE ME BECAUSE ITS NEED DLC DRM BULLSHIT.
ANY ONE HELP

It's almost like the game wasn't intended to be played until the 27th October. Weird.

Does anyone attempt to read these threads before they post? We had three people in the last two pages explode about something that was talked about three posts before. Craziness.

I'm back after it today and excited to finish my second playthrough. Legendary has been pretty fun so far, but there's a few bosses coming up that I know are going to take some hard work. Making the jump back to Halo 4 really highlights how great this game looks, plays, and feels as you're traversing a map. Halo 5 gameplay is pretty incredible.

Flipyap

Did they fix the Covenant? Improvements to Prometheans are welcome, but the biggest issue with 4 was that they made Elites no fun to fight. Prolonged Covie fights in 4 made me miss the Prom Knights and that's just messed up.

m23

For those that have played campaign, what difficulty would you suggest a Halo veteran should play at? I usually do heroic, but it seems it's been toned down. Any truth to that?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I'm so so jealous of all of you who are going to be kicking back on a Saturday afternoon and blasting through the Halo 5 campaign.

Why did I go digital? Whyyyyyy? :(

Tbh I actually feel good ordering digital now since no one can play MP early :p i would have been jealous otherwise though.

m23

Tbh I actually feel good ordering digital now since no one can play MP early :p i would have been jealous otherwise though.

I'm confident they'll open it up this weekend sometime, highly doubt they will leave it up until the last minute.

For those that have played campaign, what difficulty would you suggest a Halo veteran should play at? I usually do heroic, but it seems it's been toned down. Any truth to that?

It is a little easier but I think here's a few reasons for it. You can get revived now. Which doesn't make it easier but it reduces some of the replay this section over and over thing. It's also different because the levels are so massive that it's easier to strategize and get away. There's always ample cover and with verticality, you're not always fighting face to face. I beat it on heroic and enjoyed myself. There are no moments like Halo 4 where you are stuck in hallways with fuel rod grunts and have to grind to get past and there are no levels where you are being one shot every time you move.

I'm playing through legendary now and it's not super difficult either but I know there are going be some bosses that will take some serious time and effort to get past. If you are looking for a little challenge and to take the game and story in, then play heroic. If you want a challenge and not as much of the other stuff, play legendary.

Stick with Heroic. If you start Legendary, you'll be banging your head against certain fights and it'll sour the experience.

Do Heroic to learn the fights, then go Legendary.

m23

It is a little easier but I think here's a few reasons for it. You can get revived now. Which doesn't make it easier but it reduces some of the replay this section over and over thing. It's also different because the levels are so massive that it's easier to strategize and get away. There's always ample cover and with verticality, you're not always fighting face to face. I beat it on heroic and enjoyed myself. There are no moments like Halo 4 where you are stuck in hallways with fuel rod grunts and have to grind to get past and there are no levels where you are being one shot every time you move.

I'm playing through legendary now and it's not super difficult either but I know there are going be some bosses that will take some serious time and effort to get past. If you are looking for a little challenge and to take the game and story in, then play heroic. If you want a challenge and not as much of the other stuff, play legendary.

Stick with Heroic. If you start Legendary, you'll be banging your head against certain fights and it'll sour the experience.

I'll stick with heroic then, thanks.

MouldyK

I'm gonna One-Day it on Normal. Not got time to make things harder.

I'll do harder later when I know the battles.

Kibbles

I'm gonna One-Day it on Normal. Not got time to make things harder.

I'll do harder later when I know the battles.
Yeah I wanted to get through it right away cause I didn't want to segment my campaign play through between work these next couple days. Took maybe 5½ hours. I let my brother play a lot while I watched when I got fatigued.

Dynasty8

Did they fix the Covenant? Improvements to Prometheans are welcome, but the biggest issue with 4 was that they made Elites no fun to fight. Prolonged Covie fights in 4 made me miss the Prom Knights and that's just messed up.

Can't really say since I personally thought the Covenant (specifically the elites) were great enemies to fight in Halo 4. They feel sinilar as far as their animations go, but the Spartan abilities once again is a game changer to changing the way you approach the game.

To give you an example, I was shooting at an elite from a distance and threw a frag gernade, it dodged it like it usually does while I was a little low on ammo... so I ended up thrusting towards the elite and Spartan charged it directly to finish it off. It felt very satisfying...but then I was getting shot at by some jackals and grunts so I clambered up some platforms in front of me while my teammates distracted the small group and once I got high enough I ground pounded them for an overkill. It felt great.

I'm telling you, just get the hang of each Spartan ability and this game adds a whole new layer of awesome.

I'm telling you, just get the hang of each Spartan ability and this game adds a whole new layer of awesome.

Man thus is how I felt about the beta with regards to multiplayer so I have no Doubt it will improve the singlr player too.

I cant play it till next Monday so this weight is going to be brutal

Can't really say since I personally thought the Covenant (specifically the elites) were great enemies to fight in Halo 4. They feel sinilar as far as their animations go, but the Spartan abilities once again is a game changer to changing the way you approach the game.

To give you an example, I was shooting at an elite from a distance and threw a frag gernade, it dodged it like it usually does while I was a little low on ammo... so I ended up thrusting towards the elite and Spartan charged it directly to finish it off. It felt very satisfying...but then I was getting shot at by some jackals and grunts so I clambered up some platforms in front of me while my teammates distracted the small group and once I got high enough I ground pounded them for an overkill. It felt great.

I agree. The abilities are awesome. You can't go back

Is anyone with early access running the NXOE?

It forced me into the new dashboard update and if performance is bad or it causes issues with H5, I'm going to be absolutely livid.

Top Bottom