• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Trup1aya

I wouldn't be. They started working on this game a long time ago, i don't think a windows 10 map editor was necessarily in the discussion back then.

Maybe it was... Maybe it wasn't... There's really no way too know... I'm guessing it was OR they will be able to impliment it sometime shortly after release...

Either way, the idea porting the whatever Forge component they had in development to Windows doesn't take a stretch of the imagination. Studios port things all the time...

I went into Halo 3 with fairly limited knowledge and I'm trying to do the same with this, but what little I've seen looks like Halo might be back.

Whoever this is is either unreasonably good or playing against some ridiculously bad players.

The majority of people there are press that probably haven't finished a Halo before, or people whose only competitive console shooter MP experience is CoD, any decent Halo player can stomp those guys. Of course the player in the videos is incredibly good as well, just sprints a bit too much for my liking.

Cow

Halo 5 looking super polished. I'll never understand the need for sprint, why not just increase the base movement speed and leave it at that, sprint just looks super clunky.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Halo 5 looking super polished. I'll never understand the need for sprint, why not just increase the base movement speed and leave it at that, sprint just looks super clunky.

I don't know. I was initially against sprint, but 343 implemented it in the best way possible -- it has a major downside (no shield regen) and it even makes sense within the lore (when sprinting, it is using up all the armor's power).

Monocle

I don't know. I was initially against sprint, but 343 implemented it in the best way possible -- it has a major downside (no shield regen) and it even makes sense within the lore (when sprinting, it is using up all the armor's power).
That's pretty much what I've been thinking.

RSB

Banned
Yeah, a faster movement speed would fit Halo's gameplay much better than sprint, but it is in the game because "people expect it"

A new video about Spartan customization and showcasing some of the UI/menu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81dswoAYo90

All 175 helmets @ 2:06

Edit: looks like it was already posted few pages back, my bad.

Duuuude.. Tha ks for posting again i didnt see the first one. Omg man that menu is soo gooood. Gave me chills. I cant wait for this game!!! Just will be hard to play since my 2nd baby is about to be born in about 2 weeks haha.

Aw yeah it looks like a version of the Marathon helmet is back. That was my Halo 3 jam.
Locus, too. That was me in Halo 4.

Just about every helmet ever and yet no markV. Must be because they want to charge for it later because the other possibility is that they are idiots, and I dont think they are. I imagine side-bonuses and special skins/armor will be where all the little microtransactions are at since they are giving away maps for free. Or it's a super secret unlock not listed.

And clippy is a god damn emblem.

1xe5sCE.png

Where are you guys seeing the helmets at?

The video on this very page:

A new video about Spartan customization and showcasing some of the UI/menu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81dswoAYo90

All 175 helmets @ 2:06

Edit: looks like it was already posted few pages back, my bad.

Also I assume stances are only for your spartan in the menu but I wish it were for pre or post-game. I wasnt a fan of bro-spartans but 343 replaced them with...brain damage spartans. Theyre all looking in different directions looking confused like they forgot where they parked. Too far in one direction and then overcorrected too far in the other.

RSB

Banned
Yeah! A super soldier who can't even run! Makes perfect sense. Not.
What doesn't make sense is a super soldier that can't run and use their gun at the same time. And thanks to the sprint mechanic that's exactly what you get.

Run and gun >>>>> Run or gun

Trup1aya

It probably wasn't needed, but it feels good, is balanced well, and acts as a modifier for other Spartan abilities... As, such it actually adds a layer of depth to the combat..

What doesn't make sense is a super soldier that can't run and use their gun at the same time. And thanks to the sprint mechanic that's exactly what you get.

Run and gun >>>>> Run or gun
Actually, the Spartans are running and using their guns... That's your base movement speed

...but they can't enter an all out sprint and use their guns, because sprinting implies pumping your arms...

If you want to run AND gun you can... Just don't hit the sprint button... If sprinting is the better option, because you want to flee, dodge, or shoulder charge then you have the option. There's more to halo than shooting.

Glass

Looking at the helmet options, seems you can unlock all the helmets from Blue and Osiris Team. Looks like theyre Legendary rarity, pretty awesome.

I'm judging perhaps too early what with this image being monotone, but I'm kind of disappointed the weapon skins seem so limited in quantity (28) and design. Design wise they don't look to have come any further then the stripes draw across some weapons as seen in The Sprint. I really like some of them, but just as theirs different tiers of skin quality in other games, I was hoping for more permanent skins working their way up to the design level of Linda's Sniper Rifle, which is a 1 use card. Coming from CSGO, weapon skins are the most important customisable aspect to me - it's the only cosmetic item you see whilst playing, I hope there's been a lot of attention given to them. Depending on their rarity as well, I imagine skins along with armour will always be the most exciting cards in Req packs.

Looking at the helmet options, seems you can unlock all the helmets from Blue and Osiris Team. Looks like theyre Legendary rarity, pretty awesome.

Chief's helmet isn't on the list, regular Mark VI, but not his variant. It wasn't in multiplayer for Halo 4 either.

Velikost

Wonder why they went with those stilted jump-in's in Breakout. The running animation looks kind of weird. I'm still upset 343 listened to all the whiners about the pregame and post game animations/celebrations. It's so odd to just see them standing there now.

All this footage is making the wait for October so much harder. Might be the longest month of my life

RSB

Banned
Actually, the Spartans are running and using their guns... That's your base movement speed

...but they can't enter an all out sprint and use their guns, because sprinting implies pumping your arms...

If you want to run AND gun you can... Just don't hit the sprint button...
In this case I'm using the term "running" as a way to describe the "max movement speed" The sprint mechanic makes you choose between the ability to fire your gun and the ability to move at max speed. Halo plays better as a game where you can do both at the same time (it used to be like that pre-Reach) Again, leaving sprint out, and increasing the base movement speed would be better for Halo's style of gameplay.

But yeah, unfortunately, the sprint mechanic is expected in every console shooter nowadays (yay, homogenization!) and that's why Halo has implemented it even when it's detrimental to the gameplay. Thank god for PC shooters I guess.

Yeah that's kinda the whole trade-off of having sprint

You can move and shoot at the same time in Halo 5. In fact, you actually move and shoot at the same time faster than any Halo game since 2004.

They actually did increase the movement speed. And the strafe speed as well. So you can move and shoot at the same time, which is a thing you can do in the video game called Halo 5.
Again, I'm not talking about moving and shooting at the same time, I'm talking about moving at max speed and shooting at the same time. With the sprint mechanic you can't do that. Clear enough this time?

The sprint mechanic makes you choose between the ability to fire your gun and the ability to move at max speed.

Yeah that's kinda the whole trade-off of having sprint

Halo plays better as a game where you can do both at the same time (it used to be like that pre-Reach)

You can move and shoot at the same time in Halo 5. In fact, you actually move and shoot at the same time faster than any Halo game since 2004.

Again, leaving sprint out, and increasing the base movement speed would be better for Halo's style of gameplay.

They actually did increase the movement speed. And the strafe speed as well. So you can move and shoot at the same time, which is a thing you can do in the video game called Halo 5.

Blues1990

Aw yeah it looks like a version of the Marathon helmet is back. That was my Halo 3 jam.
Locus, too. That was me in Halo 4.

Just about every helmet ever and yet no markV. Must be because they want to charge for it later because the other possibility is that they are idiots, and I dont think they are. I imagine side-bonuses and special skins/armor will be where all the little microtransactions are at since they are giving away maps for free. Or it's a super secret unlock not listed.

And clippy is a god damn emblem.

1xe5sCE.png

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mark V helment was an unlock if you complete the campaign on Legendary, or a similar difficult challenge.

My guess is that the map dlc will also include new helmets, armor, and etc. My guess is that they are saving the mark V for a special map that will release.

Like library style btb map or something idk.

I see endless opportunities in this req system now. Hundreds of items are going to be added and more a year later id assume.

This buid is old anyway right? ;)

Bsigg12

Wonder why they went with those stilted jump-in's in Breakout. The running animation looks kind of weird. I'm still upset 343 listened to all the whiners about the pregame and post game animations/celebrations. It's so odd to just see them standing there now.

All this footage is making the wait for October so much harder. Might be the longest month of my life

I want the celebrations to be selectable and only played locally. I thought they were fun.

As for the jump ins, they're trying to convey a better sense of 1 life a round by making each round's start a little more dramatic. I really, really like how much Breakout seems like speedball.

I want the celebrations to be selectable and only played locally. I thought they were fun.

As for the jump ins, they're trying to convey a better sense of 1 life a round by making each round's start a little more dramatic. I really, really like how much Breakout seems like speedball.

Or perhaps.. Paintball? ;) ;)

Wait is that the same thing? Lol

Defect

Bolded the part that indicates, to me, you did not participate in the beta or played any of the remixed maps.

Did you see the Sprint episode that detailed how those remixes are created? A lot of work and thought are put into them. I feel as if you are already pushing these maps off because of a few video segments and screenshots from this thread.

The only one that felt a little bit of the same when playing is empire/eden. so i feel your pain with those two maps. The others are just fantastic.
Sorry, I don't see your 50 in Halo 3. So ur rong.

Nice!

I miss the SPNKR being the standard rocket launcher model, but whoever it was that told me the new rocket launcher looks better in first-person view was right. I don't really mind its design there.

I really hope the legendary edition that is the og rocket launcher is just pure awesome. Kind of like the prophet of truth and its yellow pee gold glowing shaft of death.

xboxnerd

Banned
Why does everybody ignore the fact that this is a preview build and 343 started that there will be 1000+ reqs ready at launch? Mark V or whatever you want may still be in the full game!

Jawmuncher

I really hope the legendary edition that is the og rocket launcher is just pure awesome. Kind of like the prophet of truth and its yellow pee gold glowing shaft of death.

Why does everybody ignore the fact that this is a preview build and 343 started that there will be 1000+ reqs ready at launch? Mark V or whatever you want may still be in the full game!

Who is the true Mister Chief?

shoreu

Nice!

I miss the SPNKR being the standard rocket launcher model, but whoever it was that told me the new rocket launcher looks better in first-person view was right. I don't really mind its design there.

I told you!!!! 😊😊😊😊

Top Bottom