• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Glass

Although the weapons will be limited when compared to Destiny's, I think the collectability of the Warzone cards will fill that hole. You're basically building a deck and taking it into battle, I'm not sure if there's a need to have any extra gear and guns outside of whats equipable in Destiny, but with Halo 5 your'e going to have your loadouts, and then a whole deck of things to choose from.

So pretty different from Destiny, but collectively, I'm imagining there's no less variety.

Raide

I don't know. I feel the same way. But when you have 4 previewers from GT saying they miss BTB and Warzone feels "off" or "weird", I dunno.

I think Halo 5 is shaping up to be great. My only concern is enough unique maps in Warzone and BTB.

Wait Previewers said it was "off or "weird"? Are they just saying that because its new and different or are they really hung up on Halo staying the same for every version? Its not like 343 said no BTB ever.

Warzone will replace BTB because there is nothing really Big Team and BTB. Warzone is the real BTB.

shoreu

Wait Previewers said it was "off or "weird"? Are they just saying that because its new and different or are they really hung up on Halo staying the same for every version? Its not like 343 said no BTB ever.

Warzone will replace BTB because there is nothing really Big Team and BTB. Warzone is the real BTB.

I will never look to GT for Halo advice.

Starfield

While there are out of the normal route "vacations" for certain things such as skulls, the game has return to the battlefield signs, which means out of map exploration will be difficult/impossible.
[/QUOTE]

have you ever played Halo Reach? It had the same 10second death zones and you still could go out of map

Random17

have you ever played Halo Reach? It had the same 10second death zones and you still could go out of map

I have, but it was difficult and unlike Halo 2 there wasn't anything particularly interesting aside from low texture terrain. My go to level for "out of normal route exploration" are the missions Outskirts and Metropolis, and even Delta Halo/Regret.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have, but it was difficult and unlike Halo 2 there wasn't anything particularly interesting aside from low texture terrain. My go to level for "out of normal route exploration" are the missions Outskirts and Metropolis, and even Delta Halo/Regret.

Halo 2 also had way more unfinished content beyond the barriers.

Although the weapons will be limited when compared to Destiny's, I think the collectability of the Warzone cards will fill that hole. You're basically building a deck and taking it into battle, I'm not sure if there's a need to have any extra gear and guns outside of whats equipable in Destiny, but with Halo 5 your'e going to have your loadouts, and then a whole deck of things to choose from.

So pretty different from Destiny, but collectively, I'm imagining there's no less variety.

I'm thinking Warzone will be the new jam. Hopefully 343 will keep it updated and fresh with new encounters, weapons and stages. Its really a great playground they can experiment in.

Random17

Halo 2 also had way more unfinished content beyond the barriers.
That's definitely true, I guess it explains the textured terrain outside of the normal route in the campaign. Still, I think I've spent more time on the missions Outskirts/Metropolis trying to find all the easter eggs/weapon caches, not to mention IWHBYD. There's just so much to do on each mission.

It'll be interesting to see what the glitchers find in Halo 5. I took them some time in Halo 4, but eventually they found quite a few out of map locations. Most were cramped, though :/

That's definitely true, I guess it explains the textured terrain outside of the normal route in the campaign. Still, I think I've spent more time on the missions Outskirts/Metropolis trying to find all the easter eggs/weapon caches, not to mention IWHBYD. There's just so much to do on each mission.

It'll be interesting to see what the glitchers find in Halo 5. I took them some time in Halo 4, but eventually they found quite a few out of map locations. Most were cramped, though :/

You sir want the secrets! I've never actually heard someone request glitches and out of bounds play. Interesting.

You sir want the secrets! I've never actually heard someone request glitches and out of bounds play. Interesting.

'Out of bounds play' is tricky: I guess designers don't want glitches (duh), so they'll manage their game accordingly. Then they'll put in secrets, but I suspect some players want more than that - secrets placed are not really secrets at all, but just hidden areas of the game. Getting outside the game is more important in some ways, and whether that can be subtly designed on purpose, or is more a matter of oversight and glitched design, is something I'd be interested to hear.

AYF 001

I'll be interviewing 343 Industries' Design Director Kevin Franklin tomorrow. Any burning questions that anyone would like to ask?
I'd ask if there was any particular piece of content or feature that he was fond of that that ended up being cut out?

Random17

Pretty common ask. Bad for mp, interesting but problematic for campaign
You guys definitely seemed to move in that direction with the weapon cache/Artemis thing.

Best mission to speedrun was Reclaimer because of all the scripted scenes and the effort you guys put in to stop players from going ahead (lava rivers). :)

Still, nothing can compare to the OG Envy skull and sword flying. I'm glad active camo actually looks useful in Halo 5, however.

I guess from a playtesters' POV you don't want glitches affecting the actual experience, hence why you'd try your hardest to stamp out every glitch? Understandable.

There was a small movement for swordflying to return to MCC, but unfortunately it did not. Glitches can add so much to any game so long as they aren't game breaking or annoying. They can even make a game popular; look at r/gaming for instance, or Goat simulator. Physics glitches in Halo back in the day were also very gif worthy and still are, although gamers have moved onto stuff like Poly bridge and GTAV.

mcrommert

Banned
I'll be interviewing 343 Industries' Design Director Kevin Franklin tomorrow. Any burning questions that anyone would like to ask?

Don't ask about forge as we know that info is coming. This is tangential to that but ask if all of those legendary and modified weapons will make their way into forge/custom games...I mean the special sword is on truth, so....

see5harp

I was playing Destiny last night and we got to talking Halo and someone brought up a great point I didn't think of much. After playing Destiny, some folks are leery of having to use the same old BR, AR, Pistol combos. Destiny really has spoiled us with variety of weapons. Halo does need to mix it up.

The folks that play Halo should be leery of anything those people say because they continue to play Destiny.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

I second the question asking him about theater mode. If there is a theater mode, can we do it in parties? Is theater mode for all modes, single and multi? Will there be file sharing features? Also, perhaps you could ask him about community oriented features in general that pertain to that and other things -- Bungie's website in Halo 3 was one of the best things in a multiplayer game.

Trup1aya

I was playing Destiny last night and we got to talking Halo and someone brought up a great point I didn't think of much. After playing Destiny, some folks are leery of having to use the same old BR, AR, Pistol combos. Destiny really has spoiled us with variety of weapons. Halo does need to mix it up.

Two vastly different approaches to be honest... In my time with destiny, many guns feel similar, but with slightly different mostly inconsequential stat changes... The really just feel like a carrot to keep grinding for something slightly more powerful. They really don't FEEL different. In halo, there is a nice sized base Arsenal of human, Coventant and forerunner weaponry... Then when you get to Warzone the weapon variants have much more drastic changes in behavior when compared to destiny, IMO.

Two vastly different approaches to be honest... In my time with destiny, many guns feel similar, but with slightly different mostly inconsequential stat changes... The really just feel like a carrot to keep grinding for something slightly more powerful. They really don't FEEL different. In halo, there is a nice sized base Arsenal of human, Coventant and forerunner weaponry... Then when you get to Warzone the weapon variants have much more drastic changes in behavior when compared to destiny, IMO.

That and lets be honest here, no one is playing Destiny cause of the gameplay. Everyone plays it for the loot drops. Thats whats addictive about the game. Take that out of the game and no one is even talking about it today.

That and lets be honest here, no one is playing Destiny cause of the gameplay. Everyone plays it for the loot drops. Thats whats addictive about the game. Take that out of the game and no one is even talking about it today.

That's what I'm kind of worried about. The loot chasers and prestiegers will be in Destiny and COD. Maybe Warzone can bring them in with collectors. The loot chase does add an element of "achievement", if that makes any sense.

I wonder how these decisions were being discussed in 343 design meetings. I'm sure it had to come up.

Yeah, but destiny can't/won't be competitive and balancing is a big concern. Also, as other mentined, req packs will provide you those other weapons that have different features/skins. You'll also have other items to aquire other than weapons to customize your play. Sure there are only about hundreds of variantions at launch but i expect them to increase that in the following months after it's release.

A little comparison list:

Destiny (Halo)

Hand-Cannon/Sidearm (Pistol/Magnum)
Auto-Rifle (AR/Storm Rifle)
Pulse-Rifle (BR)
Scout-Rifle (DMR/Carbine)
Shotgun (Shotgun)
Sniper (Sniper)
Heavy Machine-Gun (SAW)
Power based gernade (Multiple gernade types)
Rocket Launcher (Rocket Launcher/Hydra)
Fusion Rifle
Sword (Energy Sword)
(Needler-Homing bullets)
(Plasma Pistol Secondary- 1 shot sheild emp)
(Plasma Caster/gernade launcher)
(SMG)
(Fuel Rod Cannons)
(Spartan Laser)
(Rail Gun)
and more promethian weapons i can't think of right now.

Now i think about it some more, there isn't really much of a difference in the combo you metioned. Actually it seems like Halo has more categories of weapons to choose from.

If you are looking at the difference in how the Auto/Precision/Heavy weapons shoot; Like colors n stuff, then maybe you won't be pleased because bungie has that locked down and doubt any shooter can top that visual flair they posess. (except insomniac - love you sunset overdrive)

Anyway, that's what i think about when you said they need to mix it up a little. ^_^

Starfield

PLEASE Stinkies I hope stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxeaObLytY

is still possible.

Who remembers the out of map warthog jump on Exodus to launch yourself up on that covenant ship?

Who remembers the glitch in order to fly those covenant ships (which you can see in the video above)

Who remembers the secret cutscene room where you go with the underdground monorail/train station thingy?

Who remembers going out of map in Halo 3 in the campaign by doing the corner jumps?

REMEMBER GLITCHES

shoreu

Yeah, but destiny can't/won't be competitive and balancing is a big concern. Also, as other mentined, req packs will provide you those other weapons that have different features/skins. You'll also have other items to aquire other than weapons to customize your play. Sure there are only about hundreds of variantions at launch but i expect them to increase that in the following months after it's release.

A little comparison list:

Destiny (Halo)

Hand-Cannon/Sidearm (Pistol/Magnum)
Auto-Rifle (AR/Storm Rifle)
Pulse-Rifle (BR)
Scout-Rifle (DMR/Carbine)
Shotgun (Shotgun)
Sniper (Sniper)
Heavy Machine-Gun (SAW)
Power based gernade (Multiple gernade types)
Rocket Launcher (Rocket Launcher/Hydra)
Fusion Rifle Focus Rifle
Sword (Energy Sword)
(Needler-Homing bullets)
(Plasma Pistol Secondary- 1 shot sheild emp)
(Plasma Caster/gernade launcher)
(SMG)
(Fuel Rod Cannons)
(Spartan Laser)
(Rail Gun)
and more promethian weapons i can't think of right now.

Now i think about it some more, there isn't really much of a difference in the combo you metioned. Actually it seems like Halo has more categories of weapons to choose from.

If you are looking at the difference in how the Auto/Precision/Heavy weapons shoot; Like colors n stuff, then maybe you won't be pleased because bungie has that locked down and doubt any shooter can top that visual flair they posess. (except insomniac - love you sunset overdrive)

Anyway, that's what i think about when you said they need to mix it up a little. ^_^

added Focus rifle.

Also did you get my PM about Gears?

That's what I'm kind of worried about. The loot chasers and prestiegers will be in Destiny and COD. Maybe Warzone can bring them in with collectors. The loot chase does add an element of "achievement", if that makes any sense.

It does, i still have no idea why im trying to get to 310 light. But i do it. That being said, only reason i play so much destiny is honestly because its a fun SP cooperative game which surprisingly, there aren't a lot of yet. Yes the loot is fun to get, but the jump in jump out SP game is just so easy that i just go to that by default. My friend is on earth doing partrols, just "join fireteam" and boom your in the action with your buddy.

I do agree that i think games today need an "addicting" factor to it or people will move on quickly. I don't think having a good game is enough anymore. You have to consistently be unlocking something, playing for something or else.

Random17

PLEASE Stinkies I hope stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxeaObLytY
I remember people being able to get to the cave as well as most of the individual tricks, but I have never seen that video. That was pretty amazing.

My favorite glitch is a recently discovered out of bounds glitch in Halo 2. If you walk into the safety railings on Cairo Station repeatedly, the game allows you to walk through walls and get into the other rooms/next hangar bay. Unfortunately nobody was able to figure out how to do it and come back out alive. It is the most asinine glitch I have ever seen in a game because of the absurdity of its activation. Being able to nomap through other areas of the level by bumping into a safety railing is hilarious but silly.

We did see a skull hidden away in Halo 5 that required ground pounding through a vent. The map also looks very breakable due to its external sections.

VeeP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llquQ0WpA3o

Feel free to watch it.

They describe Halo as "a cross between Call of Duty & Battlefield."

El_Chino

LOL at the apparent "port begging." He was by no means begging that it come to PC, merely stating that he really respects Halo 5 and sees the appeal, but doesn't think it's worth the cash for an Xbone alone. Beg means to earnestly ask, which he was not doing.

The whole port begging police is outta control.

Sure, if you think so. People have been banned for less, you don't seem to realize that.

see5harp

And very few that play Destiny today seem to play specifically for Crucible. Destiny is a loot driven game for people to play coop with each other. Is Iron Banner even a popular mode within Crucible?

And very few that play Destiny today seem to play specifically for Crucible. Destiny is a loot driven game for people to play coop with each other. Is Iron Banner even a popular mode within Crucible?

Yes, cause people have to buy that Iron banner armor, not cause its fun or anything.

Raide

As I thought. The GT Reviews stuff was them basically saying they wanted classic Halo. Also the comment about not remembering the maps or anything about them comes from playing for a few hours and then making a preview video.

They talked about classic Halo and then suggested that 4v4 was not really what Halo was about. I kinda agree that Arena seems to be the E-sports push but I would rather watch matches of Warzone.

Glass

Could you ask about catch up mechanics in Warzone? e.g, say a team is down a huge amount of points. Will people on the losing team see this and stop using all their good cards/vehicles, saving them for another game, therefor putting them back even further?

Also I just bought my very first Req pack. Pretty cool it even came with a tiny plastic man.

Bq7FAlD.jpg

Top Bottom