• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

I don't get how they can't do Assault tho. Its literally just Capture the Flag in reverse. Just apply the same rules with the ball in one hand, gun in the other, 80% movement speed, the tag system, etc.

Damn. I was hoping for a Team Obj playlist with the usual suspects: CTF, KOTH, Team Ball, Assault, and Territories

Something like that might be there. I doubt exactly as you want, but you never know.

As for Assault, the use of a Flag in Breakout that you take to the enemy base, a la a bomb, suggests Assault isn't there - possibly.

Then again, it's CTF modified, so if there's an 'attack' CTF a la Neutral Assault or what have you, so be it.

UKUMI0

Probably a noob question, but has Warzone replaced Big Team Battle? Cause so far.,,,i've seen zero of BTB.

BTB won't be in Halo 5 at launch due to 343i concentrating on Warzone. Their argument is that instead of working on both experiences at the same time and them both suffering, they've put all their effort into this new gamemode which has a similar experience and a lot more mechanics.

BTB has been confirmed to be coming after launch though. Warzone is not replacing BTB, it was just concentrated on more then BTB.

Ramirez

Damn. I was hoping for a Team Obj playlist with the usual suspects: CTF, KOTH, Team Ball, Assault, and Territories

Those playlists always fail, oddball and KOTH even had their own list in 4 for a bit, no one played it. *insert no one played H4 joke*

Something like that might be there. I doubt exactly as you want, but you never know.

As for Assault, the use of a Flag in Breakout that you take to the enemy base, a la a bomb, suggests Assault isn't there - possibly.

Then again, it's CTF modified, so if there's an 'attack' CTF a la Neutral Assault or what have you, so be it.

I would think that the use of planting flags has everything to do with the flag carrier having a sidearm in breakout. Assault would be lame in breakout neutering the carrying team, making the attempt to assault that much less likely.

I'm fairly certain the playlists will be VERY concentrated. My guess: Arena, Objective, Warzone, FFA, Weekend Special, BTB eventually. This number of playlists is low enough to keep populations up and covers the major bases. Don't expect 1v1 or 2v2 as dedicated playlists, and I hope that things like fiesta never make it into the normal rotation. The no guests for online play gives me hope for Halo MP for the first time in ages.

Mdot

True, I at least hope the capabilities are in. I find it strange that we haven't heard or seen one thing about any objective based game other than CTF (if I recall correctly).

Mdot

Those playlists always fail, oddball and KOTH even had their own list in 4 for a bit, no one played it. *insert no one played H4 joke*

I always thought in the 2 and 3 days they were popular. I'd always fall back on them as a change of pace from regular Slayer and preferred the variety instead of just CTF, just Ball, etc.

Do we know if BTB will use REQs like Warzone or Arena

Most likely just cosmetic like Arena. Big Team Battle should be more like previous Halo titles with Power Weapon spawns and such. We already know it will feature it's own maps. Just wonder when we will see it, I am guessing post-launch.

watership

This. It would be a complete joke to not launch with two Halo staples. BTB coming after launch is bad enough.

I bet BTB, and FORGE are post launch. Just have a feeling that they're putting a lot of time into locking down Warzone as a success first.

I also get the feeling that a lot of devs are trying to break up releases now. Games shipping with Multiplayer post launch, some devs talking about having two separate product launches. Games like Halo 3, which launched with so much content, modes, etc.. are a thing of the past.

I bet BTB, and FORGE are post launch. Just have a feeling that they're putting a lot of time into locking down Warzone as a success first.

I also get the feeling that a lot of devs are trying to break up releases now. Games shipping with Multiplayer post launch, some devs talking about having two separate product launches. Games like Halo 3, which launched with so much content, modes, etc.. are a thing of the past.

I am 99% sure Forge will be in at launch. Forge news is coming next week and we already know Forge was functional almost a year ago. The Beta featured 4 Forge Maps (Pegasus and Orion in Slayer and Crossfire and Trenches in Breakout), Breakout Maps are entirely Forge built.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Most likely just cosmetic like Arena. Big Team Battle should be more like previous Halo titles with Power Weapon spawns and such. We already know it will feature it's own maps. Just wonder when we will see it, I am guessing post-launch.

Yeah, BTB uses CSR so it's definitely only cosmetic REQs.

Dynasty8

Minimizing playlists is perfectly fine with me, as long as each one offers a nice variety.

I'm fine with just:

• Team Slayer (regular 4 vs 4...up to 50)
  • Team Objective (4 vs 4 CTF, KotH, Team Snipers, Oddball, Extraction, any any others)
  • Big Team Battle (8 vs 8 slayer, CTF, Team Snipers, and another game type)
  • Breakout
  • Warzone

Maybe throw in a "Funbag" play list for Griffball, Zombies, and other.

IMO, the Playlists for MCC, for obvious reasons, divided the player base significantly. There were too many game types to choose from and not to mention 4 separate games. Everyone on my friends list was divided between Halo 1, 2, 3, and 4. It was very hard to get people to play together and also to find games. Halo 5 is going to feel like a blessing.

Some of you are going to be the most worried parents when you have kids, always imagining the worst. Speculation is one thing, but watching the constant chatter about lack of forge info (among other things) and what it means could go into an observational psychology study in OCD. Are people really going to start the game using forge anyway? I understand people love forge, but if you like it I figure you also like multiplayer, which keeps most people busy for weeks if not months.

Just not sure I get it, could someone elucidate? I understand the BTB woes way more than the forge ones. Is it because we just don't know yet?

Welfare

Assault and all the other objective gametypes don't need to be playlists in Halo 5, they just need to exist in Halo 5.

Some of you are going to be the most worried parents when you have kids, always imagining the worst. Speculation is one thing, but watching the constant chatter about lack of forge info (among other things) and what it means could go in as an observational psychology study in OCD. Are people really going to start the game using forge anyway? I understand people love forge, but if you like it I figure you also like multiplayer, which keeps most people busy for weeks if not months.

Just not sure I get it, could someone elucidate? I understand the BTB woes way more than the forge ones. Is it because we just don't know yet?

Not about Forge, but gamers in general: obsessive speculation over tiny tidbits, rampant unjustified hope/cynicism... lots of juicy psychology ;)

Mdot

Minimizing playlists is perfectly fine with me, as long as each one offers a nice variety.

I'm fine with just:

• Team Slayer (regular 4 vs 4...up to 50)
  • Team Objective (4 vs 4 CTF, KotH, Team Snipers, Oddball, Extraction, any any others)
  • Big Team Battle (8 vs 8 slayer, CTF, Team Snipers, and another game type)
  • Breakout
  • Warzone

Maybe throw in a "Funbag" play list for Griffball, Zombies, and other.

IMO, the Playlists for MCC, for obvious reasons, divided the player base significantly. There were too many game types to choose from and not to mention 4 separate games. Everyone on my friends list was divided between Halo 1, 2, 3, and 4. It was very hard to get people to play together and also to find games. Halo 5 is going to feel like a blessing.

I agree 100% with this and was basically what I was getting at in my post. Enough variety but slimmed down to keep each with enough population. Again though, my worry is the lack of info for those objective-based games, which makes me think they'll be coming down the road. Hopefully at the very least the functionality is there for custom games to support the objectives.

New multiplayer mode idea:

We need a one on one mode called "Grudge Match"

Basically when people talk shit in lobbies about how they would destroy you one on one, etc. You could put up a vote to have the two go at it in a one round winner take all with the rest of the lobby members as spectators. Of course the lobby members would have to OK the vote to watch the two shit talkers square off. If you lose, you're put in a 5 minute time out where you can't join any games. Lobby members could place bets on who wins for Req points.

After its over, you're back in your regular game lobby.

Not about Forge, but gamers in general: obsessive speculation over tiny tidbits, rampant unjustified hope/cynicism... lots of juicy psychology ;)

Very true, and it's often entertaining but the forge issue is one that I truly can't account for, and I'm a big Halo fan...I mean I'll sit there and have an hour long discussion about grenade trajectory between the different games.

I'm definitely on team slurp though, habitual unjustified hope. But isn't hope always inherently unjustified in a sense?

Mdot

Basically when people talk shit in lobbies about how they would destroy you one on one, etc. You could put up a vote to have the two go at it in a one round winner take all with the rest of the lobby members as spectators. Of course the lobby members would have to OK the vote to watch the two shit talkers square off. If you lose, you're put in a 5 minute time out where you can't join any games. Lobby members could place bets on who wins for Req points.

Cool idea. We used to do this in Halo 2 after a match when inevitably two opposing strangers would just talk shit to each other and we'd run the game back with the other 6 players just standing around watching.

Cool idea. We used to do this in Halo 2 after a match when inevitably two opposing strangers would just talk shit to each other and we'd run the game back with the other 6 players just standing around watching.

Used to have 1 on 1 sword fights on Ascension in the middle part. Good times.

Archpath1

Nice idea

They should have something similar to the Wager Matches from blops 2

More so on arena modes -think your the better team? Throw some REQ down, see who comes out on top

Euron

This. It would be a complete joke to not launch with two Halo staples. BTB coming after launch is bad enough.
If I can't relive the memories of playing Oddball on Sword Base/Snowbound/Chiron whatever is it even a Halo game?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You can't just say that and not give us some examples. Preferably HD videos of you exploring those areas in a dev build. lol

I think it's all been discovered by now, I just mean closed off or unused areas that had more textures and finish than typical invisible areas would.

Spasm

Sounds a little like QW's Rocket Arena. Except everyone took turns cycling into a 1v1, rockets only. Winner stays, loser gets kicked back to spectating with the others and waits for his next turn.

I'm really excited to read the negative reviews when people don't get every possible game type they wanted included at launch. I feel like an awesome story, arena mode, 20 multiplayer maps, all the free story stuff (Hunt the Truth) and an exciting new multiplayer mode is more game than I've gotten in a long time for my $60. It's good to see one developer actually delivering content without having their hand out for more cash.

Dynasty8

I'm really excited to read the negative reviews when people don't get every possible game type they wanted included at launch. I feel like an awesome story, arena mode, 20 multiplayer maps, all the free story stuff (Hunt the Truth) and an exciting new multiplayer mode is more game than I've gotten in a long time for my $60. It's good to see one developer actually delivering content without having their hand out for more cash.

100% agreed. It makes me laugh how people say stuff like "wow can't believe they're removing emblems. 343 gon 343". People emphasize too much on tiny negatives and completely ignore the huge positives.

BTB won't be in Halo 5 at launch due to 343i concentrating on Warzone. Their argument is that instead of working on both experiences at the same time and them both suffering, they've put all their effort into this new gamemode which has a similar experience and a lot more mechanics.

BTB has been confirmed to be coming after launch though. Warzone is not replacing BTB, it was just concentrated on more then BTB.

Oooh ok, cool. I am ok with that. As long as BTB is free, but i am sure it will be. And the map packs will be free up to June next year, correct? Almost sounds too good to be true, damn.

Oh by the way, i believe this was not possible in Halo 5's beta...but let's say me and my friends want to play Team Slayer. That's 5 vs 5 right? But let's say it's 6 or 7 of us, can they just join in on the enemy team (kinda like how you join friends in BF4)? Cause most of the time i am with a lot of friends and my bro and it would be a real bummer if we can't play team slayer together.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No way in hell. Difficulty in order for me was 2,1,3, Reach, ODST then 4. 4 was fucking cake. And I've done them all solo, several times.

Hell, I just did it again a few months back in MCC.

2 is the only correct answer. Honestly Cairo Station? Two grenades?

So, anybody here going for the limited edition? 90 bucks with amazon prime after tax. I'm either doing that or standard digital download. I hate to say it but I'm contemplating it mainly because of the 14 premium REQ pack bundle, don't really care about the other stuff. That's basically 2 bucks per REQ pack. Is that crazy? Another thing that's making it hard is I want to play this shit immediately, if I get it the evening of the 27th I know I'm gonna be staring out my window for hours, waiting, waiting.

Top Bottom