• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

So, anybody here going for the limited edition? 90 bucks with amazon prime after tax. I'm either doing that or standard digital download. I hate to say it but I'm contemplating it mainly because of the 14 premium REQ pack bundle, don't really care about the other stuff. That's basically 2 bucks per REQ pack. Is that crazy? Another thing that's making it hard is I want to play this shit immediately, if I get it the evening of the 27th I know I'm gonna be staring out my window for hours, waiting, waiting.

I'm having a difficult time deciding as well. I want digital because I know this will be something I'm going to play for a long while and it's nice not having to swap discs, and there's been some talk of putting it in the MCC interface. I'm assuming you'd need digital for that. Butttttttt this is also one of those games where I'd like to have something collectorish to have around.... $249 is steep to accomplish those goals tho.

Monocle

Didn't Josh Holmes say in a interview recently that a forge reveal is coming soon and it's the biggest improvement to forge since the original?
That's one way to get in my pants.

2 is the only correct answer. Honestly Cairo Station? Two grenades?
No doubt. Also: Jackal snipers. Those guys killed the fun of Legendary for me, honestly.

Just out of curiosity, how would you personally rank Halo 5's difficulty compared the other games? Heroic and Legendary in particular.

Oooh ok, cool. I am ok with that. As long as BTB is free, but i am sure it will be. And the map packs will be free up to June next year, correct? Almost sounds too good to be true, damn.

Oh by the way, i believe this was not possible in Halo 5's beta...but let's say me and my friends want to play Team Slayer. That's 5 vs 5 right? But let's say it's 6 or 7 of us, can they just join in on the enemy team (kinda like how you join friends in BF4)? Cause most of the time i am with a lot of friends and my bro and it would be a real bummer if we can't play team slayer together.

Arena, which is the 4v4 slayer playlist now will be a limit of 4 people on a team searching for a game to prevent any lame boosting or the like from happening. For teams of more than 4 you will have BTB at some time after launch and Warzone at launch with 12v12. Then you also have custom games that will run on dedicated servers, so won't be useless for games of more than 4v4 on my terrible internet connection.

Sai

Arena, which is the 4v4 slayer playlist now will be a limit of 4 people on a team searching for a game to prevent any lame boosting or the like from happening.
Arena isn't limited to Slayer, or those player counts. Objective playlists and Big Team will be a part of it.

Warzone isn't a part of it though.

Dynasty8

I was in the Hospital this past few days, anything big or important that I missed? is the Mark V helmet confirmed now? thank you guys

Yes, it's confirmed. You can unlock it.

As for what you missed, some cool Warzone footage. Hope your hospital stay wasn't too serious.

ElRenoRaven

I think it's all been discovered by now, I just mean closed off or unused areas that had more textures and finish than typical invisible areas would.

Hmm I'll have to look around cause I haven't seen many videos of these areas. The only one I ever found was the ally like area in the Old Mombasa section that has a truck there in it near the garage doors.

Don't know if it's been answered yet, but can we expect Forge news sometime in the next week? Game's gonna need some community maps so the sooner we see how improved it is the sooner we can start drafting.

Not expecting terrain editing but textures and most shape options are a must.

We haven't seen them yet, but the Mark IV & V are going to be in.

Hospital, huh? Hope you're okay now.

Great the Mark V armour is my favorite armour on Halo, I'm very happy to see the confirmation of the Helmet on H5G,
thank you my friend I'm still recovering but I'm better now, I had a appendix phase 3 surgery on September 14th, sadly the surgical wound
got infected really bad and it gave me an infection that's why I went again this monday, I'm better now but I still need more recovery time and pills a lot of pills

Yes, it's confirmed. You can unlock it.

As for what you missed, some cool Warzone footage. Hope your hospital stay wasn't too serious.
Great that's music to my ears, it was an infection from my appendix surgery from not so long ago, it was bad but now I'm better step by step thank you bro.

matthieuC

There'd need to be a life size Cortana bundled with the new forge for me to be okay with a delay. BTB is one thing, but the game has no value to me at launch without Forge.
Yeah I wouldn't say the game has no value to me if it lacked forge at launch because I still love everything else, but yeah forge is my shit. I've spent many hours in Halo 3 and reach and a good amount in Halo 4 and it's a huge part of halo for me.

And while I'll be disappointed if forge wasn't in at launch, I'd still buy the game if I knew it was coming fairly soon after. Here's to hoping it makes the first cut.

Madness

No way in hell. Difficulty in order for me was 2,1,3, Reach, ODST then 4. 4 was fucking cake. And I've done them all solo, several times.

Hell, I just did it again a few months back in MCC.

I found 2 to be hardest, CE is up there as well, but I found Reach tougher than 3 and I didn't even attempt 4 because I was already frustrated with the campaign and despawning ammo at times. I just knew Legendary would be no fun. I don't think I'll do legendary for H5 either. Those days are long gone for me. If something isn't fun anymore, I just stop playing.

Did you do all them in MCC for that Human/Elite armor in H5 or just for fun?

Yeah I wouldn't say the game has no value to me if it lacked forge at launch because I still love everything else, but yeah forge is my shit. I've spent many hours in Halo 3 and reach and a good amount in Halo 4 and it's a huge part of halo for me.

And while I'll be disappointed if forge wasn't in at launch, I'd still buy the game if I knew it was coming fairly soon after. Here's to hoping it makes the first cut.

Halo 4 to me was DOA until Forge Island came out so you'll have to forgive me for not having faith in Halo 5's multiplayer maps. I also played the beta and didn't like them.

The 2 base 2 tower map design is outdated and their asyms are too busy. Fortunately, Halo has for a while been a game where you can build your own stuff and play on them with friends, so that's what I'm looking forward to.

Aw man, I sorta wanted to play Halo with some DGAFers since I know a bunch of us play Halo

Custom Games would be better in that case since we could get a full lobby going.

I'm not some kind of antichief now that I play Destiny. MCC happened and that was where I said I was done with Hao's online multiplayer. Customs were great when they worked, but multiplayer was largely AR/SMG starts on large [bad] maps. I've had enough of that.

Madness

Halo 4 to me was DOA until Forge Island came out so you'll have to forgive me for not having faith in Halo 5's multiplayer maps. I also played the beta and didn't like them.

The 2 base 2 tower map design is outdated and their asyms are too busy. Fortunately, Halo has for a while been a game where you can build your own stuff and play on them with friends, so that's what I'm looking forward to.

Outdated in what way? Fairness? They're there because it's one team vs one team and the only way to ensure fair and equal starts, the very thing a competitive game needs, is symmetrical maps. It's why all competitive sports have identical fields of play. Sure some asymmetrical maps work just as well, but I don't buy the notion it's outdated. If anything, in the era of twitch shooters with loadouts where you're just thrown into a randomly large asymmetrical map, the two base, two tower design is welcome.

Outdated in what way? Fairness? They're there because it's one team vs one team and the only way to ensure fair and equal starts, the very thing a competitive game needs, is symmetrical maps. It's why all competitive sports have identical fields of play. Sure some asymmetrical maps work just as well, but I don't buy the notion it's outdated. If anything, in the era of twitch shooters with loadouts where you're just thrown into a randomly large asymmetrical map, the two base, two tower design is welcome.

As in there's no new strategies to explore. Fathom, Truth, Regret, Coliseum; they all play the same. Open air, Midship/Amplified style maps where player positioning and movement is obvious: run to the middle, grab neutral power weapons and then look down on the other team's spawns. Maybe it's not outdated, but it's certainly been overplayed in the last 5 years.

I prefer the design from CE where it's more about individual battles and cycling between areas of interest as opposed to setting up on a power position and team shooting people off their spawns. I don't dislike symmetrical maps at all, but I don't see them exploring anything new in that space. The Rig looks like their most experimental map.

Dynasty8

Anyone else playing the shit out of MCC due to the excitement for Halo 5? I'm even trying to get some of the speed run achievements...those are no joke.

matthieuC

As in there's no new strategies to explore. Fathom, Truth, Regret, Coliseum; they all play the same. Open air, Midship/Amplified style maps where player positioning and movement is obvious: run to the middle, grab neutral power weapons and then look down on the other team's spawns. Maybe it's not outdated, but it's certainly been overplayed in the last 5 years.

You'd be right except for the fact that since the actual gameplay has been changed, so will the strategies along with it.

I will agree with you though that I wish the maps were a bit more varied.

Also, I don't believe fathom is open air.

You'd be right except for the fact that since the actual gameplay has been changed, so will the strategies along with it.

I will agree with you though that I wish the maps were a bit more varied.

Also, I don't believe fathom is open air.

It's open air in the sense that there is a large open space in the center of the map.

Kibbles

I still don't see why this won't have actual system link when they are supposedly focusing on competetive play so much. Look what happened at MCC events with the disconnects and shit... how could you not add in native system link? Man....

Game's gonna need some community maps so the sooner we see how improved it is the sooner we can start drafting.

Not expecting terrain editing but textures and most shape options are a must.

Why does it need community maps? 20 maps at launch, with 15 free over the next few months. That's more than anyone else is offering by far, so why is it needed?

Trup1aya

Without Forge at launch how will I play awesome remakes of quality community maps like Collonade and Cragmire??

I guess you'd just play those after launch... When forge came out...

Though I'm not convinced it will be a post launch thing...

They've been pretty straight forward with what we can expect on day one.... If Forge wasn't going to be there day one, they'd just say so, like they did with BTB.

Ramirez

I guess you'd just play those after launch... When forge came out...

Though I'm not convinced it will be a post launch thing...

They've been pretty straight forward with what we can expect on day one.... If Forge wasn't going to be there day one, they'd just say so, like they did with BTB.

I'm just being an ass. Forge has produced maybe 5 good maps over 4 games, I don't care one way or the other, personally.

Random17

Comparing the games' overall difficulty is misleading, because difficulty varies heavily by mission. Nevertheless, here is the ranking:

A few Halo Wars delights> Halo 2 Master Chief missions> CE> Reach> Halo Wars> Halo 2 Arbiter missions> 4 > 3 > ODST even with Black eye

I'm going to put up an exhaustive list soonish because it'll be useful for comparison later.

My impression of IGN's Legendary video is that the game shares similarities to Halo 4's AI, but it is still way too early.

OEM

I am just scared to start on legendary. How to get over this fear lol. H1-2 seems impossible to complete.

Any suggestions? I really want to finish all 4 on legendary solo.

Random17

I am just scared to start on legendary. How to get over this fear lol. H1-2 seems impossible to complete.

Watch walkthroughs and/or speedruns. It'll cut hours off your final times. Don't learn the hard way and I say that from experience, haha.

First Half of Halo 4 on legedary is fine, it gets annoying in the second half.

Halo 2 in general is a beast on Legedary but possible. Finished it alone on legendary last year.

Zeta Oni

A. Keep a good distance and find sightlines that allow you to shoot while taking minimal fire in return. Alot of levels have chokepoints they force you to go through with alot of enemies on the other side; take these slowly, and pay attention for any snipers.

B. Prioritize enemies based on how easy they can kill you, or make the game harder. Often times that means dropping sniper jackels and elites first,(those promethean respawn shits in Halo 4) and clean up grunts after. Still, just because they are grunts doesn't mean they won't take you out just as quick on legendary.

C. Understand your weapons and pick accordingly. You want to always have a weapon that can deal damage at medium to far range most of the time (like the battle rifle or DMR, as well)

D. Vehicle encounters are a bit tricky, either try speeding through it like a madman, or kiting enemies (drawing a single vehicle out at a time in order to always attack from an advantageous position while not worrying about the backup)

E. Noob combo.

Edit: grammar

Monocle

Plasma Pistol overcharge + a headshot weapon is a must against Elites. Needlers and stickies work too. Don't be afraid to get into a melee fight with an Elite as long as he's alone and you have a decent weapon. Just pop his shields and bonk him.

Use cover.

Legendary isn't too bad if you take your time and target individual enemies when you can. Try to be precise and efficient. Pop out of cover and get a couple headshots, then hide again when you start taking fire. You'll eventually get a feel for when you should play peek-a-boo and when you can rush.

Use cover a lot.

Take advantage of enemies' stagger animations to reposition yourself or finish them off. Melees, frag grenades, overcharges, shield popping (plasma weapons works best), shotgun blasts... you have a lot of options.

There's a lot of useful strategies to be found in speed runs. Look some up on Youtube.

Oh, I almost forgot: Use cover.

Any ideas on what if any additional info/blogs/videos we'll get running up to release?

BTB will be after launch so nothing on that.

Forge . . . ?

More REQ packs, probably.

Maps blowout, probably.

Nothing more on the campaign, probably.

I need moooaaaarrr Halo 5 goodness :)

Any ideas on what if any additional info/blogs/videos we'll get running up to release?

BTB will be after launch so nothing on that.

Forge . . . ?

More REQ packs, probably.

Maps blowout, probably.

Nothing more on the campaign, probably.

I need moooaaaarrr Halo 5 goodness :)
More The Sprint Videos is my guess.

Top Bottom