• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

That experience website caused driver crashes every time I played a video on my gaming PC and it made my surface chug, but it was perfect on my phone for some reason...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I think just because of how Reach did it and just how unexpected it was there isn't a way you could replicate something similar in a future title and have it have the same effect. Lone Wolf was basically gunning down your hope one plasma bolt at a time until you were fighting with one bar of health and went "yeah, Six is actually dying at the end of this thing"

Love the ending of Reach. They did it so well to bring players into the game and believe that it was actually happening.

Random17

Biggest problems with Reach were the relatively boring starting missions, poor VO, and the canon breaking story.

Otherwise it had the best AI, skyboxes, vehicle gameplay, and feature set in the franchise.

To be fair, every game in the franchise has done something better than the rest and is looked upon more favourably over time.

The good old "Halo 2 sucks, back to CE" or "Halo 3 sucks, back to 2" was dumb to begin with.

I think Halo 5 might actually break the cycle of hating the newest release and liking the old one more. If all goes well, nobody will look back at Halo 4 favourably in comparison.

Biggest problems with Reach were the relatively boring starting missing, poor VO, and the canon breaking story.

Otherwise it had the best AI, skyboxes, vehicle gameplay, and feature set in the franchise.

To be fair, every game in the franchise has done something better than the rest and is looked upon more favourably over time.

The good old "Halo 2 sucks, back to CE" or "Halo 3 sucks, back to 2" was dumb to begin with.

I think Halo 5 might actually break the cycle of hating the newest release and liking the old one more. If all goes well, nobody will look back at Halo 4 favourably in comparison.

Halo 4 is my favorite game in the whole franchise, so I always see myself looking back on it favorably.

I don't look favorably on Halo 4 now no matter HOW good or bad Halo 5 will be, so we good

I don't think anyone passionately hates Halo 4 as much as I do on this website tbh. A Halo game made by people who either didn't understand Halo, or just didn't fuckin' like it very much.

Glass

I'm jonesing for a 1080p 60fps Reach campaign so bad. Was great re-doing 1-4 this year, haven't played Reach in years and it's making it all the more alluring.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Biggest problems with Reach were the relatively boring starting missing, poor VO, and the canon breaking story.

The vehicle damage system was also really bad. I prefer Halo 3's system, but at the very least give it a health bar of some sort.

Other than that I totally agree. Reach was superb, and the weapon sandbox was loads of fun in the campaign.

I don't look favorably on Halo 4 now no matter HOW good or bad Halo 5 will be, so we good

I don't think anyone passionately hates Halo 4 as much as I do on this website tbh. A Halo game made by people who either didn't understand Halo, or just didn't fuckin' like it very much.

I don't exactly hate Halo 4, but I tried to replay the campaign and it just honestly wasn't that fun. The sandbox is just extremely dull overall, there's no excitement in picking up a new weapon/vehicle and planning on how you're going to use it.

Dropping the 117 theme in there was great (especially on the time), but the Halo portion was lacking energy. Is this high quality? The strings sound very muddy and it's hard to hear the melody on top of the timpanis.

Light is Green autoplayed afterwards sounds a bit dampened too. Guess it was downsampled when it was uploaded or something.

Kamchatka sounds compressed too so i'll have to wait for official quality.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Solipsism's a helluva drug.

Nothing wrong with not liking it, but that's a crazy overload of projection.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Composer episode of the Sprint is my favorite one from the series. Would like to see more of how Kazuma operates behind the scenes, especially when it comes to why he uses certain instruments and cues

He usually just yells at people until beautiful music pops out.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'll caveat this first by saying that I enjoyed Halo 4. It had many problems, but overall I think it was an excellent game, and an excllent first-attempt at a Halo game from a brand new studio.

What's striking about people's dislike of Halo 4 to me, though, is that it seems like people blame 343 solely for the direction H4 took with its gameplay but to me it seems like H4 was the natural evolution to where Bungie was leading the franchise from Reach. Now it looks like Halo 5 is (rightly) going back to its roots while still advancing the franchise as a whole. It just doesn't seem like the gameplay direction of H4 should be placed squarely on 343 as if they had no basis for going in that way. I'll also add that this is just in regard to the multiplayer. 343's Halo 4 campaign direction was quite different from anything Bungie Halo related.

Also, I have tried quite a few different times to get that Experience website to give me a code, but it still hasn't. I might try later tonight, but hopefully by tomorrow it'll be totally fixed.

Danny 117

Do they really do this in the development process? Like "let's meet again next week and have this level done or this art drawn". Sounds cool.
Working on my own game at the moment with a team and would love to adopt that "sprint" technique.

On topic: Chief has taken a helluva beating over the past few months lore wise. Helmet has been
cracked twice,
thrown around by the didact, fell from space etc lol

In comparison to Halo 5 if all goes well?

I don't know, and this is coming from someone who liked H4's campaign.

Halo 4, to me, started the franchise down a path where I think ultimately saved Halo as a franchise for me. I was beginning to grow tired of the games, opening up doubt in my mind that maybe they had nothing more or new to offer that I would find exciting. With what 343i did with Halo 4 suddenly all that excitement came rushing back. The campaign of that game, the story, the way the chief and Cortana were handled, all of it was pitch perfect for me. It's exactly the story and campaign I had wanted. It addressed concerns I had about the franchise for years since I started playing the games. it reminded me of the books I enjoyed so much.

Halo 4, even with Halo 5 ends up being a far superior game that absolutely smokes it in every category, will always be remembered fondly for helping to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

see5harp

I'm jonesing for a 1080p 60fps Reach campaign so bad. Was great re-doing 1-4 this year, haven't played Reach in years and it's making it all the more alluring.

Yea that would be amazing. I am nearly done with MCC Halo 3 and am constantly surprised at how well the game looks simply at a higher resolution. Reach would probably be even better.

CFtiger1127

Neo Member
like many of you, i look at Halo as a game where each new entry brings something to the table that I enjoy/appreciate. Full disclosure, now married w/2 kids campaign is my primary stomping ground. Halo 4 to me was all about visuals and moving the needle through its story. They took a relatively story lite saga up until that point, humanized the Chief and integrated a more gritty scifi approach into the "gamers" experience. I did however feel much more restricted to the "beaten path" than previous entries. Whether there is any truth to my hypothesis or not, it felt to me like a design decision was made to demonstrate the best visuals to grace 360 and as a byproduct the campaign was more narrow in scope. I must admit from what we have seen of H5, the needle seems to be moving on all fronts which imo hasnt happened since H3.

ElRenoRaven

I love Halo 4's story.

I think I am going to watch some cut scenes right now.

Halo 4's campaign wasn't that bad. They had a couple characters who should die and never return and they were damn linear but it was good. Kind of reminds me of Halo 2 level wise. Now multiplayer wise it was my least favorite without a doubt. Luckily 5 is looking like they learned from their mistakes.

Defect

Maybe you can answer my question then. Have they said at all what the prices or amount content of the REQ packs will be?
latest

Flipyap

Biggest problems with Reach were the relatively boring starting missions, poor VO, and the canon breaking story.

Huh? What makes you say that? I can't think of anything that makes it notably better than other Halo AI.
It definitely had the worst friendly AI (in a Bungie Halo), or at least implemented in a way that made it useless.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Huh? What makes you say that? I can't think of anything that makes it notably better than other Halo AI.
It definitely had the worst friendly AI (in a Bungie Halo), or at least implemented in a way that made it useless.

The Elites were like space ninjas in Reach. Really tough to kill compared to previous iterations. And the enemy AI was all the more impressive considering they were effectively dumped into reworked MP maps rather than maps designed for fairly linear travel.

Regarding friendly AI, you say it was the worst, but it was the only Bungie Halo that actually gave it a really good go. ODST was scripted through the roof, and the less said about the marine AI in earlier versions the better.

Top Bottom