• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Flipyap

The Elites were like space ninjas in Reach. Really tough to kill compared to previous iterations. And the enemy AI was all the more impressive considering they were effectively dumped into reworked MP maps rather than maps designed for fairly linear travel.

Regarding friendly AI, you say it was the worst, but it was the only Bungie Halo that actually gave it a really good go. ODST was scripted through the roof, and the less said about the marine AI in earlier versions the better.

They were tough because they hit like a billion trucks, but I can't think of anything they did that would make them smarter than previous iterations.

It gave what a good go? You had AI companions in most missions prior to Reach and they always knew how to use the weapons they were given. Equipping Reach's Marines with power weapons is a good way to dispose of said marines, and your Spartan teammates are forced to use the most ineffective weapons and not scripted to use them correctly (if there's one thing Emile is good at, it's hiding behind rocks, using his shotgun at sniper range).

(if there's one thing Emile is good at, it's hiding behind rocks, using his shotgun at sniper range).

emile-respect-o.gif

Reach enemy AI was very aggressive and they all had insane auto aim on top of it. Skirmishers got headshots on a consistent basis, Brutes armor locked when in danger, Grunts all had Fuel Rods, and Elites always charged you or spammed Concussion Rifles at you. The Wraiths alone could flip 180 degrees, predict where you would be 5 seconds before you were there, and snipe you with their mortars. We had lousy human weapons with bloom and plasma weaposn that could easily be dodged. Meanwhile, the plasma weapons in their hands were laser accurate and made your screen flash red, constantly taking your shields down and disorienting you.

They were challenging to the point of being annoying and unfair, but I'll take that over whatever AI was in Halo 4. After Reach, Halo 4's Covenant felt like it was locked to Normal difficulty.

Random17

The Elites were like space ninjas in Reach. Really tough to kill compared to previous iterations. And the enemy AI was all the more impressive considering they were effectively dumped into reworked MP maps rather than maps designed for fairly linear travel.

Regarding friendly AI, you say it was the worst, but it was the only Bungie Halo that actually gave it a really good go. ODST was scripted through the roof, and the less said about the marine AI in earlier versions the better.

Halo 2 marines were great, don't forget them.

DocSeuss

I don't look favorably on Halo 4 now no matter HOW good or bad Halo 5 will be, so we good

I don't think anyone passionately hates Halo 4 as much as I do on this website tbh. A Halo game made by people who either didn't understand Halo, or just didn't fuckin' like it very much.

To me it felt like a Halo game made by Killzone's mission designers. If someone told me that ex-Guerilla LD/MD's had worked on Halo 4, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

In fact, I feel like I'm seeing echoes of that in the early Spartan mission footage, which has me concerned.

I personally can't stand the redesign of the Forerunner still.

Am liking that Locke mission better--looks more Halo-ey.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Halo 2 marines were great, don't forget them.

But they didn't have to do a huge amount, really. And their driving towards the end of New Mombasa was a bit Kat-like. Anything that involves them going over and above was also generally scripted.

Ein Bear

Reach seriously needs an Xbone port. I'm not usually a huge framerate guy, but after enjoying 60fps in the other games through the MCC this past year I just can't go back. I fired it up the other day and the performance is just awful in comparison.

Finally got my AR code. But firefox is saying the intro video is private now
promo_ar.jpg

Played Reach again last week, this is really my absolute favorite campaign. Not for the story, but the gameplay and leveldesign is fantastic - plus the awesome skyboxes.
What Bungie really made great is that different ranks of enemies play differently. So it's really intense to fight a high rank elite with his Fuel Rod, or Brute chieftain. In Halo 4 all ranks just played the same, only difference was the weapon they hold.

Flipyap

But they didn't have to do a huge amount, really. And their driving towards the end of New Mombasa was a bit Kat-like. Anything that involves them going over and above was also generally scripted.
Have you ever tried giving them some proper weapons? Those guys are killing machines and can endure a lot as long as you don't give them close quarters weapons.
I tend to end every mission they're on with a squad of two or three of them, ideally armed with snipers or explosives. Babysitting those guys is some of the best fun you can have in Halo.

Reach seriously needs an Xbone port. I'm not usually a huge framerate guy, but after enjoying 60fps in the other games through the MCC this past year I just can't go back. I fired it up the other day and the performance is just awful in comparison.
Oh man. Its performance improves after the first level, but at first switching to Reach after a few weeks of MGSV made me feel like my eyes were going to explode.

nekkid

Have you ever tried giving them some proper weapons? Those guys are killing machines and can endure a lot as long as you don't give them close quarters weapons.
I tend to end every mission they're on with a squad of two or three of them, ideally armed with snipers or explosives. Babysitting those guys is some of the best fun you can have in Halo.

I must admit, aside from the Halo 4 achievement I've never tried that.

LordDarkhaven

Neo Member
Finally got my AR code. But firefox is saying the intro video is private now
promo_ar.jpg

Played Reach again last week, this is really my absolute favorite campaign. Not for the story, but the gameplay and leveldesign is fantastic - plus the awesome skyboxes.
What Bungie really made great is that different ranks of enemies play differently. So it's really intense to fight a high rank elite with his Fuel Rod, or Brute chieftain. In Halo 4 all ranks just played the same, only difference was the weapon they hold.

ok so I have to ask anyone noticed that says battle rifles and shows an AR

Glass

If anyone's having trouble getting the site/videos to work, chuck me a pm as it's working for me (at time of writing) and I can go through it for you (it's a slow Sunday). I presume this isn't open to exploits as its a weapon skin, you can probably only get 1, and you can't sell back permanent or cosmetic cards back for more req points.

Did I miss something? Skins being given away already?

Watching all 10 videos on this site will get you an AR skin

http://experience-halo-5-guardians.xbox.com/experience.html

Spasm

That would be cool!

Username checks out.

Speaking of Gears, I really appreciate how 343 is incorporating the skins into the actual designs of the weapons. Where in Gears, they just get a bunch of JoAnns Fabrics patterns, and just wrap the weapons in em... then light them on fire or something.

Are we allowed to post req codes on GAF? I have an extra code from that experience site so if someone wasn't able to access it I can give it.

Username checks out.

Speaking of Gears, I really appreciate how 343 is incorporating the skins into the actual designs of the weapons. Where in Gears, they just get a bunch of JoAnns Fabrics patterns, and just wrap the weapons in em... then light them on fire or something.
Do we know that's the case though? If skin was tied to weapon variant then some wouldn't be able to be used in arena, unless 343 disables the scope zooming on an AR variant but that doesn't solve the weapon identity and threat assessment issue a bayoneted AR would have. I'm guessing the skin is independent and can be applied to any variant it was made for and some might be made for specific variants.

singhr1

Do we know that's the case though? If skin was tied to weapon variant then some wouldn't be able to be used in arena, unless 343 disables the scope zooming on an AR variant but that doesn't solve the weapon identity and threat assessment issue a bayoneted AR would have. I'm guessing the skin is independent and can be applied to any variant it was made for and some might be made for specific variants.

Yeah, you get two things with the pre-order, the basic skin for Arena and the modified weapon for Warzone. The skin strips everything out of the weapon except for the paint job.

Notice how it says in the bottom left corner there is a distinction between the loadout weapon and the weapon skin. Two separate REQs.

m23

So I wonder what we're getting tomorrow. I'm expecting a trailer or something but at the same time hoping for some sort of big reveal. Maybe a full on vidoc about forge?

nekkid

Are we allowed to post req codes on GAF? I have an extra code from that experience site so if someone wasn't able to access it I can give it.

This is a good point. Presuming I can generate another one, I'm more than happy to PM it to a taker who's struggling with their browser.

Glass

Holy cow that's kind of early right?

Most interesting part - 'Extensive Multiplayer Content - Receive new maps and earn fresh new content like weapons and gear each month after launch.'

I'm not too sure on the phrasing, is it saying new maps each month?

Sai

:/ I was hoping it'd take at least the week before launch until spoilers started leaking out.

I'll see y'all on the 27th... Is what I'd like to say, but I can't just abandon GAF. :(

Akai__

LMAO. That didn't take long.

Holy cow that's kind of early right?

Most interesting part - 'Extensive Multiplayer Content - Receive new maps and earn fresh new content like weapons and gear each month after launch.'

I'm not too sure on the phrasing, is it saying new maps each month?

We knew this for quite some time now. It was in one of the pictures that CBOAT posted.

Top Bottom