• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Vire

I gave in and watched the first 10 minutes or so... Looks fucking amazing.

Halo 4s intro is trash by comparison.

see5harp

Having just played Halo 4, I do remember being very impressed by the graphics (especially in the 2nd level where you finally see the forerunner building where the synthesizer music swells), but the combat scenarios were pretty underwhelming. This shit looks crazy to me. So much stuff happening on the screen at once.

I don't really agree with that. The CG intro in 4 was absolutely amazing.

This one, most people have seen but with a little more in the beginning.

I think 4 wins out for me.

Having just played Halo 4, I do remember being very impressed by the graphics (especially in the 2nd level where you finally see the forerunner building where the synthesizer music swells), but the combat scenarios were pretty underwhelming. This shit looks crazy to me. So much stuff happening on the screen at once.

Yea Halo 4 still looks good. I'm so pumped

Madness

I gave in and watched the first 10 minutes or so... Looks fucking amazing.

Halo 4s intro is trash by comparison.

In which way? The quality of the intro or the quality of the content of the intro? Because I hated the H4 intro that served zero story purpose, but thought it was well done with Halsey cutscene, showing Chief, Blur's amazing graphics, cutting into the Forward Unto Dawn broken ship and Cortana.

But do you mean campaign level intro? Because I thought Halo 4 intro, with Chief waking up, all thow Covie ships being pulled into Requiem and then that first step onto Requiem was really well done. So if this tops all that consider me even more impressed.

In which way? The quality of the intro or the quality of the content of the intro? Because I hated the H4 intro that served zero story purpose, but thought it was well done with Halsey cutscene, showing Chief, Blur's amazing graphics, cutting into the Forward Unto Dawn broken ship and Cortana.

But do you mean campaign level intro? Because I thought Halo 4 intro, with Chief waking up, all thow Covie ships being pulled into Requiem and then that first step onto Requiem was really well done. So if this tops all that consider me even more impressed.

I think he might mean opening level, which is pretty amazing for 5. And I agree with him if that's the case.

ShutterMunster

Game marketing continues to puzzle me. Why the hell would I want to watch 3 missions of a story-heavy game, especially when it's coming out in a little over a week? This is the equivalent to a studio releasing the first 20-30 minutes of their blockbuster movie, a week before it comes out. It's just insane.

see5harp

I liked the cutscene at the start of Halo 4 and how it was a directly after Halo 3 with him waking up, but the actual combat scenarios and then the push this button and then kick this thing was sorta boring. The presentation was pretty awesome though especially how the sound is muted and then how you end up on the promethean planet.

Game marketing continues to puzzle me. Why the hell would I want to watch 3 missions of a story-heavy game, especially when it's coming out in a little over a week? This is the equivalent to a studio releasing the first 20-30 minutes of their blockbuster movie, a week before it comes out. It's just insane.

Idk but it seems like a ton of people are eating it up.
To each their own.

The Friendly AI looked decent, I saw a few cases where it seemed like maybe they were confused.. but it could be based on orders given to them by the player.

Enemy AI seemed fine from what I saw.

From what I have seen, it looks as though AI in solo is deliberately reticent. It doesn't crowd you, and shifts up a gear when reviving and vehicles are involved. Guess they don't want solo players feeling like the AI is doing their job for them. Not seen anyone use it really proactively yet.

Of course they are, surprises seem to mean little to this generation. I'm not a complete media blackout guy like Jeff Cannata, but this is excessive to me.

I'm locked down. There's a few of us. I'm glad they are watching because it's good to hear the positive impressions. I'm happy for 343i and excited for the 27th. They are clearly very proud of what they made.

To be fair, this is a game not a movie...

Have to agree. The last thing I want to do is watch a decent chunk of the story a week before release. Perplexes me honestly.

Possibly to win over people that are hesitant after what they thought was a dissapointing game in Halo 4. I personally found Halo 4 fun and entertaining (and I also enjoyed every other Halo a lot), but I know many didn't like it as much.

Giving people an optional peak into what Halo 5 is about isn't a bad idea, and is frankly pretty cool to see in this day and age where there is so much secrecy in game development.

And based on the responses, it seems people are really liking the footage that has been released so far (I've chosen to ignore streams/videos for spoiler reasons - but am happy to hear the positive responses).

Vire

Quality of the intro level itself, it wastes no time getting right into the action and avoids the terrible dodge the box QTE event that grew incredibly tiresome in repeat playthroughs.

There's lots of routes and pathways you can flank from (you can smash through an ice wall and catch an enemy by surprise from behind). The play space isn't particularly large though, so I guess you can knock that - but it is beautiful.

The environment also doesn't feel static, there are tons of things going on in the background to make the world feel alive.

Sorry for brief impressions, typing from mobile phone.

Welfare

I only saw the Blue Team mission (and some parts of the third mission), and I am already hyped on the game's level design and length. It also looks so much more fun than any Halo 4 mission.

Lingitiz

Have to agree. The last thing I want to do is watch a decent chunk of the story a week before release. Perplexes me honestly.

You have to remember that there are a lot of lapsed Halo fans after the the last two releases. I'm talking about the kind of people who have zero interest after getting burned twice.

Giving a bit of the early story is an easy way to get them back onboard. It looks fantastic.

You have to remember that there are a lot of lapsed Halo fans after the the last two releases. I'm talking about the kind of people who have zero interest after getting burned twice.

Giving a bit of the early story is an easy way to get them back onboard. It looks fantastic.
I genuinely don't really think that population of fans is *that* large. I could be wrong I guess.

Quality of the intro level itself, it wastes no time getting right into the action and avoids the terrible dodge the box QTE event that grew incredibly tiresome in repeat playthroughs.

There's lots of routes and pathways you can flank from (you can smash through an ice wall and catch an enemy by surprise from behind). The play space isn't particularly large though, so I guess you can knock that - but it is beautiful.

The environment also doesn't feel static, there are tons of things going on in the background to make the world feel alive.

Sorry for brief impressions, typing from mobile phone.

First mission is jaw dropping. The scale completely caught me off guard as I'm used to such constrained intro levels in a Halo game.

Vire

I genuinely don't really think that population of fans is *that* large. I could be wrong I guess.
Considering the game is 15 levels long, seeing the first three isn't the worst thing in the world. There's still plenty to discover and see on your first play through.

Seems like this a much longer game than 4, but I feel content in just watching the first 10 minutes and saving the rest for later.

Lingitiz

If you watch the Sprint, the objective in mind with the marketing has been to show that it isn't just "another Halo." Hence why they've been playing up the mystery of Locke vs. Chief in the commercials and stuff.

They don't want people dismissing this as just another shooter or another Halo game from the studio that isn't Bungie. They have to impress and get people hooked back in.

I think there are a good amount of people like myself who converted into buying PS4's first when Halo seemed like a missable franchise. After 4 I thought to myself that I have no reason to own an Xbox anymore now that my favorite franchise has kind of shit the bed. Now I'm back on board. Not everyone is willing to blindly look at a brand and buy it sight unseen.

They also had a really boring/lackluster campaign showing at E3. They're letting the game speak for itself now rather than crafting overly scripted stage demos.

Madness

It's a new world. The pewdiepie, let's play era. My little cousins already watched all the Halo 5 missions. I guarantee they'll probably end up watching the game from start to finish in a let's play, before they even buy it.

I can't understand it either. I already felt we've seen too much of the game. It's been hard, I saw a little but of the blue team mission and a little of team Osiris. But I had to turn it off.

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
A couple weeks ago told myself not to look at any streams when they would appear and thought I could be strong enough to go dark.

I wasn't strong enough;_;

Vire

Just kidding, watched some more - there is little to no introduction to who Blue Team is... Oh hey by the way, now you are playing with three other Spartans.

Really disappointed that 343 just expects people to know these characters already. I was really concerned about this too ahead of launch.

chekhonte

Ug, first level is almost all
promethean fighting

They were my least favorite part of halo 4. This may be the first halo game I skip.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
First mission is jaw dropping. The scale completely caught me off guard as I'm used to such constrained intro levels in a Halo game.

Typically seeing stuff featured in this first level is reserved for mid-way through missions, so it really caught me off guard too. Halo has had space battles in the background for a while now, but this is on another level.

I watched the GB Stream, they all seemed to really like it(Jeff, Dan, Drew). Jeff was playing on Normal and was downed a lot, but didn't die. It seemed like some enemies would ignore his teammates when they revived him. Hopefully that changes on Heroic and above. The third mission looked really great to me, Im gonna take my time with it and not just run to the end like Jeff. This really is looking like the sequel Halo 3 has always deserved.

Just kidding, watched some more - there is little to no introduction to who Blue Team is... Oh hey by the way, now you are playing with three other Spartans.

Really disappointed that 343 just expects people to know these characters already. I was really concerned about this too ahead of launch.

Same here. I am hoping that maybe they explain more later on, but there is basically zero info on how either group was formed and that's really disappointing, even as someone who knows the answers. I know lots of people who won't have any idea why there are a bunch of Master Chief's friends fighting alongside him. This was my main concern with Halo 5's story setup, too much out of game fiction to keep up on.

RedAssedApe

Banned

so like Halo 4. felt like no one had any idea what was going on unless they read the books. (i.e. Didact baddie)

RoKKeR

Hmmm, that aside I hope that the story told in the game is self contained. I am a pretty big Halo fan but had very little idea of what was going on.

You had one job 343. Goddamnit.

The Intro Cutscene hasnt much weight into it either :/ I was expecting a bit more for people who dont read comics/Books

chekhonte

But prometheans aren't annoying anymore :p

Also they were never (even in Halo 4) as bad as the flood

Well that's promising. Watching some of the video I couldn't tell. I genuinely hope that's the case. I really want this to be a good game.

EDIT: and yeah the flood were the goddamned worst. The only good part about them is in halo ce, shooting off the arms of a group of them and having them fallow you around like a puppy with no way to attack.

Vire

That's some seriously lazy ass shit. Not even an attempt to justify or explain why Master Chief is suddenly with three other Spartans or who they are.

I'm actually upset about this now. :/

What? Again 343? Really? :/

Top Bottom